Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks @Ozboy thats great, they have a car too so PLJ no issues. Of course everything will be fine when we get this huge dump next week snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The sale of PDS season lift passes for 2019/2020 came on line at 8am local time this morning. The discount is 50% from official price - so 499 euros.
5,000 are being offered on a first come first served basis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We just bought but quite a convoluted process. 1 Adult + 1 Child < 12 Bundle for €774 total.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,

New member, can't believe i haven't found this place before. We are heading to Morzine today. We have the full pass and have lessons booked on the Avoriaz side Mon-Weds, hoping to ski Morzine on Sunday for Mothers Day and the rest of the week on the other side. Im just trying to pack for us and this weather has got me struggling. Whats the conditions looking like from those on the ground? We skied Feb half term and it was a blanket of sunshine so didn't want to over pack, now i'm seeing mix of rain and snow.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Hoping for a good weeks skiing Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just bought ours -when I logged on a couple of weeks ago some of the full reductions weren't listed , now they are-season PDS passes
2 adults 1x10 year old @ 1273euros 2x20-26 year olds 380 each so great value when comparing to paying per week full price.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The forecasts seem to indicate a sunny start today, with cloud coming in this afternoon, and snow in days thereafter.

Looking out of the window here in Avoriaz, it is glorioulsy sunny, and looks like it should be a great day.

Got the cable car up to Mont Cheri yesterday. The red runs from the top are pretty good - being spring snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been pretty sunny in Avoriaz the last few days. However, cloud came over today around 4pm (flat light). A few brief and light snow showers so far (4-8pm). Perhaps some proper snow overnight?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@crosbie, could be... http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/chamonix_france_3027301

Maybe nice ... Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seen there is meant to be a dump tonight/tomorrow - snow still good enough (accounting for the dump) to justify a cheeky weekend trip? Seems like Friday will be the best day but assume it won't all be tracked out by Saturday morning (when I get there)?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was about an inch last night in Avoriaz, but this layer of fresh snow over groomed pistes made the going rather slow this morning. Even so, very nice sunny conditions until around 1pm when cloud and snow came in big time. Only the hard core would have continued skiing.
Already over an inch since this morning - and still snowing now. No doubt several inches by tomorrow morning. This will properly cover all the brownish patches.

So, @crooky13, this weekend should be a pretty good one to pick for a quickie. However, I don't know where you'll get such a deal in Avoriaz unless you find rooms in Hotel Dromonts - or Prodains/Morzine/Les Gets.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@crosbie - thanks for the reply. Have a place to crash in Morzine so would just have to make sure I'm one of the first on the bus/lift to Avoriaz! Have looked at the webcams and it still seems to be snowing!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well, the powder is back! 10cm of fairly wet stuff on the cars, and still snowing. Classic powder day or not, this will see the pistes nicely refreshed through to the end of the season.

Unbelievably irritatingly, I have a conference call at 10am. So I intend to do a couple of runs early, do it from the car, and then get myself back up there asap!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harry Flashman wrote:
Well, the powder is back! 10cm of fairly wet stuff on the cars, and still snowing. Classic powder day or not, this will see the pistes nicely refreshed through to the end of the season.

Unbelievably irritatingly, I have a conference call at 10am. So I intend to do a couple of runs early, do it from the car, and then get myself back up there asap!

First world problems, eh? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Harry Flashman, 10cm? Was it parked in the garage? Very Happy There's 10-15cm down in Thonon, and must be 30-40cm at 1200m. A lot of trees down, including 3 large branches of a willow tree in my garden. Herb box devastation. Tomorrow will be lovely in the sun, 3 of us heading up to LG early. I'll be in bright yellow jacket on a wooden plank.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 4-04-19 8:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty big dump here in Avoriaz overnight. Still snowing gently. Visibility poor.

There were at least a dozen avalanche trigger explosions in the early hours, and I hear another as I write this.
ski holidays
Yes as I read this in the rain at home I'd gladly swap for the few interrupted runs! I suspect tomorrow will be the better day though, temps depending? Although I'm looking at austrian forecast so maybe it'll brighten earlier in pds
ski holidays
Given there's 30cm on the balcony chair, I'd say 40-50cm has just fallen.
latest report
Very heavy, wet and slow over Nyon way, and no lifts open when I took the first gondola up, frustratingly, so have not been able to get high.

I'll travel to Avoriaz this afternoon to see if a bit of altitude helps. Lovely views though - winter wonderland again! And this has saved the pistes until the end of the season.
snow report
Due to poor vis, I can only see the centre village lift running, but most should be operating per this: https://winter.intermaps.com/portes_du_soleil?lang=en
snow conditions
Lots and lots of snow, but heavy end of season stuff, with porr viz at the top of the ski area. Watch those knees, people!

I may hang up my off-piste skis for the season now, as the piste tomorrow in the sunshine could be absolutely fantastic. Just had a new pair of piste slalom skis delivered after finally breaking my old ones after years of abuse...and the prospect of first lines on pistes that are not sheet ice is a beguiling one...
snow conditions
Been snowing continuously since this morning. Visibility is ok now (I can now see two lifts from apt). One needs good low-light goggles that don't let the snow in (unlike mine). It seems brighter this afternoon, but is still 100% cloudy.

Centres of many pistes have been scraped by skiers back to the hard base. The sides are chewed up 50cm powder. Off piste has just enough new snow to avoid bases being graunched by hidden rocks.
snow report
This morning, above Avoriaz the off piste was nice; not heavy, but the vis was poor. The tail of the front clears this evening resulting in cold temperatures tonight. I think the heavier snow down below will be lighter by tomorrow due to this drop in temperature. Morning only though; the temperature is forecast to rise rapidly by midday and that will be that..
snow report
@Harry Flashman, Don't hang anything up yet, coming out tomorrow!
latest report
Ps, it’s absolutely dumping in Morzine. At least 40cm in my garden.
snow report
I hope they’ve cleared our driveway before tomorrow
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, Ditto!
latest report
@Chattonmill, fantastic!
snow report
Given blue skies around 7pm this evening, and it's stopped snowing, I reckon it should be a pretty fantastic day tomorrow - even if The Sun is not full on.

I think I'll have a go at the PDS circuit... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rule 1 of the PDS circuit: CHECK the circuit is possible before setting off.

On the clockwise route from Avoriaz arrived above the descent from Chatel into Morgins via Corbeau to be met by a closed sign and removal of piste markers. If I wasn't accompanied by a person of a nervous disposition I would have attempted the descent on my powder board given ample snow. Quite a few other PDSers were also stumped by the closure. Never mind. Reverse the route and go back. Evil or Very Mad

If only someone had put some black tape on all the yellows signs that had pointed thus far "Morgins via xyz" to indicate that Morgins wasn't open on the Corbeau side.

Anyway, a pretty perfect sunny day. Next week should be fine.
latest report
Just read about a fatal snowboarding accident which occurred yesterday in the Montriond area. Seem like the Ukrainian chap fell down a 50m cliff while on a family holiday. RIP.

http://www.lemessager.fr/chablais/montriond-un-snowboarder-ukrainien-decede-suite-a-une-ia923b926n215190
snow conditions
He was an English snowboarder. Out with his family.
Boarded off a cliff in an area popular with speed riders. Maybe following their tracks?
Sad.
snow report
Not the first time it's happened there. Last time they dug that giant tank-trap trench thingy with the high fence behind to try to stop people going that way, but it didn't work so they took it away again.
latest report
. double post

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 7-04-19 11:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I saw the aftermath of this, as they were trying to give him CPR, and then flew the body away in a helicopter. They were treating someone else for shock right next to us, so he may have been with someone else. I have skiied that area myself, as you turn right off the Chaux Fleurie lift, and you have to be damned careful where you go. We were wondering whether the poor man followed some tracks from parasail skiers, which of course would have led straight off the cliff.

Tragic accident. It made the British papers too.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
Boarded off a cliff in an area popular with speed riders.

Are speed riders the ones with the small chutes often seen to the right of Chaux Fleurie?

^^ ignore as found the answer on YouTube.

Here is a video of speed riding in Avoriaz which looks like towards Linderets plateau:

http://youtube.com/v/RLGIZWg13PQ
latest report
Hmmm I've followed those lines before. Came to the cliff and realised the error.
luckily there was a rope down the chute for us to descend.
latest report
In more positive news, the snow around Les Gets Morzine today was truly awful Laughing
snow report
We watched from the window today @Chattonmill, think Mr NN had the best of it yesterday
snow report
@Nadenoodlee, you were very sensible! Enjoyed it but was heavy going.
ski holidays
The RHS of stash was nice yesterday (next to the competition piste) - largely untracked, but the snow was a bit heavy below Lindarets.
On another positive note, I got my 2019-2020 passes in the post on Saturday Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy