Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz/Chatel/Les Gets/Morzine 2018/2019

Poster: A snowHead
Right, even though I'm sitting in Les Gets wearing shorts and flip flops with a still dodgy knee I'm starting the next season post.

Main reason for this is that the lift passes are 15% off outside of holidays and 10% off during the holidays until the end of this month. Season passes are hugely discounted until the end of October.

https://www.agence-lacentrale.com/en/real-estate-blog/season-pass-for-les-gets-morzine-save-40-until-30-10-18/ (link is to site of the agency I work for which then links to the appropriate pages, feel free to google if you don't want to give us traffic)

No news for the instance regarding how the onions have been lying and the effect that shall have on the winter coming up but we have enjoyed an epic summer and autumn is shaping up to be stunning and half term week accommodation is almost sold out.

Who's booked to come out this year?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See link for the current /planned developments across the area. Link is for Champery but you can accesss all the plans for your particular neck of the woods. https://www.passionportesdusoleil.com/champery/
Last week there was a very very big hole just below Le Toupin restaurant right in the middle of the blue run down to Les Crosets. Fortunately there are signs that the run has been realigned slightly to the right. Also several new bases for snow cannon. No idea where they are going to get the water from to fill the new lake as there is no obvious natural run off .....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pat51, we've got very little water at the moment. It's been a lovely summer but we do need some rain before the winter, as much as it pains me to say it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@MeMyselfandI, Just discovered today I'm coming to Les Gets for Feb half term, turns out our accommodation in Meribel can't take us so my friend booked and paid for a place in LG! Presumably it's likely to be absolutely mobbed that week?!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Guernseyfreerider, why would it be wirse than Meribel?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Is it safe booking Chatel for Xmas/NY this early or am I better of either higher up or waiting later to see what happens with the snow?

As a separate question, are there good places in Chatel / Petit Chatel for small kids to mess around, ride a sledge etc? Are there any baby drags or magic carpets?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is a magic carpet at PLJ which is accessible for small children, though it would be foe skiing not sledging.
There is a small area for children opposite the PLJ lift, where you often see children sledging.
Can't help you with weather predictions though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@WindOfChange, thank you Smile Sure, I didn't expect a weather prediction Very Happy

What about Linga, I can see the Teddy Bear on the map, can't workout what it is there.

Would you say it's worth driving between Petit Chatel and PLJ or is it easier to hop on the bus (or two of them by the looks of it)?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Oleski,
Linga used to be where it was at ( I first skied there in 1986 ), but with the enormous free car parks at PLJ, along with the new lifts, fast access to Rochassons / Avoriaz / Happy Valley, the beginner area, the magic carpet tunnel, the 2 ticket offices, new toilets, child area, return run through the car park etc.... it is our goto place now.
If there's no snow on the roads, then I would drive to PLJ as it is more flexible than using the busses, and parking is easy at PLJ.
If it in snowy then I would use the busses, and getting off at PLJ rather than Linga is no more changes, you just stay on the bus another 5 minutes.

Although it depends a lot on the age of the children - do they need carrying? What about their equipment? If they are big enough to get on the bus and not require too much help then that's fine, but if you have loads of kit and caboodle, then it might be easier to drive so you do not need to carry it.

The busses are much less busy than before as now you can use the PdS and Gabelou lifts to get from Super Chatel to Linga and onto PLJ, whereas in days of yore, there would be a huge bundle trying to get on the busses.

If you are keen, then skiers could go on skis all the way from Petit Chatel to PLJ, while those having all the fun with the children could take the bus.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Oleski, If you are going to drive to PLJ set off early to get a space close to the lifts. The more distant car park spaces are a loooong walk on a busy day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@WindOfChange, interesting so this map is out of date?

We will have our 2.5 y.o girl with her nanny with us, none of whom are skiers Very Happy Both however are very athletic and will only have a sledge and small rucksack with them Very Happy

So the options are 1) we all take bus 2) we all drive 3) little one with nanny take bus and the rest are skiing

How long does it take to ski from Petit Chatel? As far as I can see on the map it will be quite a route: Petit Chatel - Barbossine - Tour De Don --->Gabelou - Linga - L'Echo --> all the way down?
Is it doable first thing in the morning in time for ski lessons? We are all Upper Intermidiate/Advanced
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Matt1959, thank you, that's a good point snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Oleski, You should allow 2 hours from Petit Chatel to PLJ by ski. You might do it a bit faster if you get a good move on and have no queues. At least 7 lifts and 5 ski runs (could be more depending on route)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DJL, thanks I suspected as much
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quick question on lift passes. I am booked for Champery in Feb and looking to take advantage of the earlybird offer. Buying though Champery of any of the Swiss resorts is quite a bit more expensive than French sites (presumably a franc vs euro thing) so any reason not to by a PDS pass from French side? Cheers.
latest report
@scottishandy, Read the small print carefully. I've got a feeling that if you buy French you've got to start your day in France.....
snow conditions
If you are thinking of buying in France then buying a separate pass to enable you to “start” the longer pass from the right resort don’t forget you will also need an extra plastic doobry that lets you through the gate. There is a charge (5 ChF?) unless you already have at least 2 plastic tickets from previous trips that they load the pass onto. Would need some careful maths to work out if it is worth the faff.
snow report
Yep, had another read and pass must be activated in the resort it was purchased in so not going to work. Thanks folks.
ski holidays
More dumb questions from me Very Happy

What's the best driving route to PDS (namely Chatel) from Calais? Via Switzerland or around?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 28-09-18 19:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Oleski, depends what part of the pds you are staying in. Good for Swiss resorts and Chatel, bad for avoriaz, morzine, Les gets
snow conditions
@Oleski,For Chatel, Autoroute from Calais to Besancon, then down to Lausanne and round the lake to Chatel.
snow conditions
@Oleski, bit of discussion in this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3257676#3257676

Basically I agree with @BergenBergen,
ski holidays
@BergenBergen, @DJL, thanks. Is it worth buying the vignette in advance? I am thinking of scenario where the pas is shut and detour through France is a better option, so last minute decision around Djon is needed
snow report
Pas de Morgins is very rarely closed, top height 1450m and good frequent ploughs. Unless it is really heavy snow you should be OK. I hate to go there but... with winter tyres I have never had to fit chains.

We usually buy the vignette at Vallorbe where there can be a sizeable queue on a busy day (up to an hour). Buying in advance doesn't save much time as you still end up stuck in the same queue apart from the last 50m.
snow report
@Oleski, https://www.inforoute74.fr/ gives you info on the conditions on the French side. I don't know the equivalent for the Swiss side...

As with everybody else, I have never known Pas de Morgins to be closed and have never had to put chains on. (That's the kiss of death for this winter.....)
ski holidays
@DJL, you don't need to convince me to use winter tyres Very Happy where I come from it's not even up for discussion
snow report
So we've booked up for Morzine for a week mid January, fingers crossed for the conditions. Stayed in Avoriaz for a week before, so 2nd trip to the area. Really looking forward to it.

@MeMyselfandI, thanks for the heads up on the discounts, just taken advantage of that and saved myself €40 for the week.
snow report
@swskier, That's great to hear, last day today to get the early bird discounts!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So I am looking at ski passes options for 2 weeks over XMas/NY and, unless I am missing something, free PDS seasonal pass for under 12 offer is a no brainier?

1 adult + 1 child PDS 13 days including insurance = 778 EUR

1 adult + 1 child PDS season = 774 EUR

However there was no option for insurance on season pass. Is it included?
latest report
MeMyselfandI wrote:
@swskier, That's great to hear, last day today to get the early bird discounts!

ski-moraine.com saying the discount goes until 07/10/18, so perhaps another week yet for people to get the discount!
latest report
I went for a little ride on my motorbike yesterday to see how the Pierre Longue lift upgrade is going at PLJ.
I was surprised at how little has been done, given that they should be running this lift in 8 weeks time.
Maybe it's the same crew as those building Tottenham's new stadium.

Best buy those pre-season passes to make sure they have the funds to get it done:)
snow conditions
Hi
Thinking we'll arrive Morzine by car on the afternoon on the 30th Dec and would like the option of picking up lift pass/ski hire from Super morzine base station and be ready to go skiing without faff on the Monday morning.

Does anyone know if that possible without incurring extra cost - compared to getting it all the morning you actually start skiing?
snow report
Most hire shops will start your hire from the following morning if you pick it up in the evening ( they're open till 7 or 8 ) .
Which shop you thinking of using ?
The lift passes you specify the start date, so no problem with those either.
ski holidays
Ok sounds positive, It's just for the Kids so was going to go with Intersport again....
snow report
Their website allows you to specify the first day of your rental, and they are open till 7:15 PM so you should be fine.
It's 5 minutes further to walk, but the intersport on Route Du Bourg is a bit bigger than the one at the SM gondola, so they might have a better choice ( or longer queues ) Smile
ski holidays
So if i go to the Les Gets site we can get 15% off of a full PDS pass if booked before the end of September (€225 for 6 days from 21st Jan)
https://pass.lesgets.com/en/offer/offre-early-booking-les-portes-du-soleil-15

But if I go to the Morzine site I'm only getting 10% off (€239)
https://www.ski-morzine.com/en/search/portes-du-soleil/6-days/2019-01-21?pax=1&ages%5B%5D=30&_action=search

As we're staying in Morzine are we able to get the Les Gets offer and go straight up-to Avoriaz or would we have to start in Les Gets?
snow report
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
So if i go to the Les Gets site we can get 15% off of a full PDS pass if booked before the end of September (€225 for 6 days from 21st Jan)
https://pass.lesgets.com/en/offer/offre-early-booking-les-portes-du-soleil-15

But if I go to the Morzine site I'm only getting 10% off (€239)
https://www.ski-morzine.com/en/search/portes-du-soleil/6-days/2019-01-21?pax=1&ages%5B%5D=30&_action=search

As we're staying in Morzine are we able to get the Les Gets offer and go straight up-to Avoriaz or would we have to start in Les Gets?

Well the easy answer there is - don't bother trying. Your full PdS pass gives you access to the Morine/Les Gets area so just spend your first day skiing the local area and head up to Avoriaz later in the week. Worst case your passes might not work at the bottom of the Pleny gondola and if they don't just jump on the bus to Les Gets. OK a little time lost and €1.5 per-person for the bus - but saving €14.
ski holidays
Sorry if this is a daft question, but why is the water in Lac Montriond so low?
ski holidays
Very little precipitation?
latest report
Ah OK, so it's simply the weather, not any other irrigation or snow-making related cause.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy