Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
don't often come into french threads - but seriously that snow looks good on the first picture snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slight dusting overnight, but no more than a centimetre at resort level. Cannons are working 24/7, but there's not enough snow to consider opening the resort at the moment.

Conditions on the glacier remain perfect for race training: blue skies and hard/icy pistes. There's very litte terrain open for free skiing, so I wouldn't consider coming here at the moment unless you plan skiing gates.

Some snow is forecast for friday, with more significant amounts at the end of the month.

Race training with Phil Smith is very enjoyable - I'll do a ski school review when I get home.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar.org.uk,

What is it you are training for fun or competition? Always fancied having a go at that!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't get any hopes up Tignes.net now reporting.................

THURSDAY:SUNNY DESPITE
A FEW CLOUDS
FRIDAY:CLOUDY AND WINDY
WITH SOME LTTLE SNOW
FALLS
FROM SATURDAY TO TUESDAY
CLOUDY AND WINDY WITH
SOME SNOW FALLS
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NorthWestFace, Rob is the great Welsh hope for the 2010 Olympics.

In bobsleigh wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
:lol:

Race training is just for fun, although it is helping change my on-piste performance. I can happily recommend the Snoworks course I'm on - I'll do a review of what's involved when I get back.

Today was much colder on the Grande Motte, with a cold wind in the afternoon. Hope it stays like this for the next couple of days: fresh snow would be a Bad Thing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

fresh snow would be a Bad Thing
Talk about selfish Shocked .... Confused
Bobsleigh..... should that be Bobs sleigh.

rob@rar.org.uk, Welsh Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Quote:

fresh snow would be a Bad Thing
Talk about selfish Shocked .... Confused

I know, I'm a bad boy!

Quote:

Bobsleigh..... should that be Bobs sleigh.

rob@rar.org.uk, Welsh Shocked

Yes, but living in London for more years than I lived in the Valleys
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowing quite hard at the moment; about 5cm at resort level, with more expected. Lots more snow required before the resort can open, but the cannons are making a pretty good job of laying a base down on key pistes. Longer term forecast is for a big dump around 29th/30th, which will allow the resort to open one week later than planned.

Today's fresh snow/poor visibility will make our race training a bit tricky, but at least our 'fun' end of week race (which everyone takes very seriously) was brought forward to Thursday, so the conditions were just about perfect (as they have been all week).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar.org.uk, but does the telly work in your apartment? Have a great time!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Today's fresh snow/poor visibility will make our race training a bit tricky
"Ski de sensation" as the Les Arcs trainers keep telling the kids, is a key part of training, and reminds them that it is their feet that are in contact with the snow, and how they need to develop real feeling, 'touch' skiing. Something that struck me as being possible with your eyes shut, in fact, as I watched the following blind skier on a rutted icy run at Tignes the other day (click on pic for full size photo...) !

Sorry, back to snow conditions in Tignes... wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PG, Blind skier doing race training Shocked. Once again - RESPECT. I presume one of the pair is a guide shouting instructions. What happens if the guide falls?.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had the blind skiers in the lane next to us yesterday. Some of them were pretty quick, and all of them very impessive.

No skiing in Tignes today as the Grand Motte isn't opening. About 15-20cm of fresh at resort level, and quite windy down here. So no skiing for me today. On the menu is (optional) fitness training with Emma C-A, and a seminar with Phil Smith on steering techniques. I've declined the fitness work (it would kill me) and have gone back to bed to gaze and the falling snow Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

and have gone back to bed to gaze and the falling snow

Shocked Oh dear, sounds like you are pretty knackered, too many late nights Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just phoned people in resort, who confirm no skiing, and sound like they "might" be about to head down the bar..
snow conditions
It's no longer snowing and we've had around 30cm in resort as far as I can tell. This is more than was forecast and will help with the late arrival of this season's first snowfall. No idea how much has fallen at altitude, but the weather forecast for the next few days is cold and sunny, so hopefully today's snow will form a good base.

Tomorrow I fly home after a great week's skiing, and start counting down the days (11) until my next trip :)

And so to bed...
snow report
NorthWestFace wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,

What is it you are training for fun or competition? Always fancied having a go at that!

I've done a review of the race training course in this thread.
latest report
Anyone been up there today? What are the conditions like, will the links with Val be open by the weekend?
latest report
I thought about it but it's b****y cold up on the glacier at the moment, and heavy cloud all day today, don't know if it was open. Same again forecast for Tuesday, then clearer Wednesday and Thursday. I'll find out what's open tomorrow, maybe go up on Wednesday if the forecast holds good ...
snow report
Thanks PG. Myself and some friends have flights to Geneva on Thursday, do you think there will be enough open to make it worth turning up for 3 days skiing?
snow conditions
SteveKirby, unless things have changed quite dramatically with the weekend's snow I would say that it is not worth visiting unless you are planning on skiing gates on one of the Grand Motte pistes that are open. There was very limited terrain available, just 3 or 4 pistes, and much of what was open was used for GS lanes by various ski clubs and groups. Off-piste was lethal, with open crevasses all over the place. I think there are probably other resorts within driving distance of Geneva which would offer you more skiing at the moment.
snow conditions
Well, I'm heading up there 9-12-05 and from what I can see on the webcam the return to Val Claret is open and they seem quite confident about being able to open the Vd'I liaison on Saturday (3rd). If the website is up to date of course...
snow report
Since last Thursday there has been some occasional light snowfall - it's snowing right now in fact - but no more that a couple of inches in total.

I'll phone a contact at Tignes tomorrow first thing and check the current situation.
snow conditions
The situation isn't great in Tignes; they're saying things could change very quickly, and "who knows what will be open by this weekend", but there's not that much snow forecast before then as far as I can see.

So the Grande Motte is open - but to illustrate how bad things have been, Leisse is still closed, and they don't know when it will open.

A couple of runs open in Val Claret: Tichot, and Bollin (the latter from today).

Val D still closed.
snow conditions
PG, NSG!!
snow conditions
A few places I've checked seem to be forecast a decent amount of snow this weekend, fingers crossed!
snow report
David Murdoch wrote:
PG, NSG!!

Excuse my ignorance, but what is NSG?
latest report
Not so good maybe?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG, thanks for the update........I guess our options are a bit limited at the minute everywhere within driving distance of Geneva?

rob@rar.org.uk, I was also wondering what NSG meant!
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, Grimsby Ranger, sorry! You clearly haven't read "The Crow Road" by Iain Banks, or indeed (so I am led to understand) "Bridget Jones' Diary".

NSG=not so good, et al...
snow report
David Murdoch, thanks. I'll look after the Thickie Baton for a little while...
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, give the baton to me instead. I've read both books and still didn't get it.
latest report
Looks like a lot of snow forecast in Val Thorens this week (53 cm by Sunday according to snow-forecast). Looks like that may be the place to head for. Curcheval opens this weekend as well and the web cams there look great.
ski holidays
Oh come on guys, I haven't read either book and I got it - the baton is going to be out for some time by the look of it Toofy Grin

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 29-11-05 16:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, Do you get S4C out there? wink
snow report
saxabar, back in London now, and even if I did get S4C I wouldn't understand a word of it!
snow report
Looking better and better. Some snow on Friday which meant powder for the Club free skiing both on the glacier and the Double M on Saturday, and although they didn't go up today - their day off - prospects are good for tomorrow with a fair bit of rain/sleet/snow overnight and this morning down in the valley. A very brief entry from hannou in her blog, (Saturday's entry)...
latest report
PG, You know how to make a chap happy on a bleak December afternoon sitting here in Blighty Very Happy
ski holidays
Beaucoup de peuf (powder) today according to hannou, especially on the Face and the Double M, and conditions pretty good down at Val Claret as well (where they skied mainly on the Carline via the Tichot chair)...

Warmer, and a lot of wet stuff falling right now down in the valley, so could well be another 20 or 30 cms by tomorrow morning up in the resorts if this keeps up, which could dramatically change the situation from today's limited opening.
ski holidays
Wrong! Just been talking to someone who lives in Sainte Foy, and is up at Tignes right now. The heavy rain and sleet in Bourg didn't translate into snow further up the valley - not at Tignes or Val, not even in Ste Foy. A light powdering, that's all.

So pretty much the same runs and lifts open today as yesterday - better than Val but not by much - but the Grande Motte cable car is out of action until later in the morning while they defrost the cable...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy