Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Android Ski Tracking App?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to St Anton at the end of the month. Tonnes of snow currently!

What is the best ski tracking app for Android in you opinion? And why?

Thanks
Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found that 'Ski Record' was pretty good for obtaining your speed (managed 28Mph on the Rodeo sledge in Les Arcs)

Runkeeper Pro is a good App for tracking - I use it for all sorts, running, skiing, cycling. It is pretty accurate.

Both use GPS

If anyone has any other suggestions/recommendations then please share - I got these a year ago and there's bound to be more Apps now.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i use skitracks on my iphone.... it's pretty good.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpine Replay has been consistently mentioned when this question has come up before. I've not used it myself, but will be doing next month.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.endomondo.com/home The Best by far.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Will be trying both of those at the end of the month and will see which is better - reviews on the interweb seem very positive for both!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Endomondo or Sports Tracker..
Both very good.
I used sports tracker for skiing on an old Nokia and worked really well, with the GPS file exportable to Google earth.

Beware that all those apps are going to affect your battery life quite badly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No one a fan of Satski? Its what I was going to use but I havent yet. I like the buddy tracking feature for if you get seperated.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Neil wrote:
No one a fan of Satski? Its what I was going to use but I havent yet. I like the buddy tracking feature for if you get seperated.

Buddy tracking you say? that's a properly useful idea, might have to look into it and abandon skitracks....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They all sound great but do any of them work without "Roaming Data", ie. download the map before you go, then upload data when you get home? (Or when you find some wifi.)
I am planning to switch the data off on my phone.
I currently use about 40 MB of Data per week.
Virgin Mobile charge £5 per MB when abroad.
That makes a nice round £200.

Does anybody know how much data they actually use for the Ski app?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fistral,

Yes they do work without roaming data.
Without data, your GPS track is just laid over a bare/plain background
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Posted this a few days ago on the same topic:

Quote:
Last season I used Sportypal on my HTC Desire, in conjunction with an Aquapac armband, and it worked really well - I also use it regularly for cycling and running.

It does munch the battery a bit but I managed to record a full morning session - 2-3 hours and usually 1-2 hours in the afternoon aswell.

This year (next week!) I'll be using it again but I'm going to take a portable recharger (a power monkey or something) to top up the battery at lunchtime. You don't need data turned on to use it and infact, I turned all radio off and just left GPS on to extend the battery as much as possible and it worked fine.

Here's a couple of links to "workouts" I recorded last season with it:

http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/942589
http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/911358

As you can see, it marks your tracks pretty well and on the phone it'll tell you you've done say 45km in 3 hrs, but once you've uploaded it, their servers remove the distance and time spent ascending which they assume is you being on a lift and mark those parts of the "workout" green and there's a bunch of stats you can analyse as well. They do a pro version which costs money but I don't know what the enhancements are over the free one - there's no adds anyway!

Hope that helps!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Switch to Vodafone - £2 per day for 25MB of roaming data throughout Europe (£1 per MB over and above 25MB though and they text you when you get to c.22MB)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, Thanks for the info, I was hoping to be able to use the same app for navigation.
jma, Thanks for the tip.
I now have sportypal pro installed on my Android phone.
Along with :-Skitrailmaps, iSKI Italia, DSS Skibeep, Endomondo pro, Ski Eagle, Alpine replay,
FREE World Piste & Ski Maps, Satski Lite V2.1 and Satski Lite for Tattoo.

Satski for Tattoo sounds good.
Quote:
Description
The best real time ski GPS app on 3D piste trail maps. This ski GPS app allows you to download ANY Satski maps with no internet required once map is downloaded. Some maps listed below. Full list on www.satsportsgps.com.

Features: Live GPS position & ski tracking, live stats (current, average, max, total, variances / speed, distance, altitude), buddy tracking, navigation, camera (geotag photos) resort info, weather, SOS feature, on device replay, PC replays via Stats Viewer with Google Earth.

I hope I have time to try them all out before the Birthday bash.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you want something that lasts for hours and is very accurate at logging speeds get yourself one of these http://www.locosystech.com/product.php?id=30

Require a bit more techy skills the get the most out of it - it's just a data logger so you have to upload the data to your PC to do anything useful, like overlay onto google maps etc, but according to the info will last up to 46 hours!!!
ski holidays
I Used Satski V2.1 on a HTC Hero last week in Folgarida and found it very good. You can turn off data roaming as it works on GPS. If you want to use the Buddy feature and some other features though you have to have roaming on.

The standard battery did not last the day though, but i had an uprated one and that just lasted. You can download each day to a laptop and see times for each lift and each run, Average and max speeds and even see replay of your day on the piste map or on google maps.

It was a shame it did not cover Madonna De Campiglio as well as we skied there most days too. It some how still seemed to know if we where on a lift or skiing but could not tell me which runs we where on.

Not bad for £3.20 though.
ski holidays
zebedee, Thanks.

Mike SWest, I thought Satski looked the best from its description, however after I installed it today I found it doesn't have many maps for Italy.
I'm going on the Birthday Bash in Feb and Satski only has a map for the Alta Badia section of the Sella Ronda.
Not much use if you are going all the way round.

If one company could Iron out all the problems and get all the maps I'm sure they could corner this market!
ski holidays
Tried out a few in Les Arcs last week (My Tracks, Endomondo, the built in run info in the Les Arcs app) and IMV the best of the bunch was My Tracks. Provided the best detail and information, and the map tracking overlays worked best.
snow conditions
When I could be bothered I ran the Vattenfall King of the slope app which was free and fun and tracks altitude, highest speed, average speed and vertical drop. Very simple to set up an leave to run.
snow report
Another vote for satski here, have used it for many years now on various phones, the lastest android updat looks good, will give it a full testing this coming sunday
snow report
fil wrote:
will give it a full testing this coming sunday

Look forward to seeing how you get on - what phone are you using it on, battery life etc Smile
latest report
desire hd, I have a 5000mah battery pack pluged in all day to tho,

one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AM1OK4/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g23_ir02?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0425HZCP2CFN8CJ4R8GT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
fil wrote:

one of these, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004AM1OK4/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g23_ir02?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0425HZCP2CFN8CJ4R8GT&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294&tag=amz07b-21

Hmmm - tempting Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

fil, Do you leave the phone in a backpack or pocket then? If so, how's the satellite signal? Do you find it reliable?

Conicidentally, I've just bought exactly the same external battery as my HTC Desire battery only lasted 2/3 of the day last season and I had intended to simply give the phone a booster charge at lunchtime because I wear the phone in a waterproof armband - Having said that, the armband is a real pain the rse (slips down, gets caught on lift bars and looks pretty gimpy) and means I can't keept the charger plugged in so I'd be very interested to hear where you keep your phone to record the runs...

Cheers.
ski holidays
just went to android market on my samsung galaxy s 1 and found that there is a free version of Satski, downloading now! Cant wait to try it out. NehNeh
snow report
Sorry to rain on your parade cathalibm, but all the cool toys like GPS tracking are turned off on the free version (SatSki Lite)
Hand over the £3.20 or use my tracks or similar for a freebie...
snow report
Quote:

fil, Do you leave the phone in a backpack or pocket then? If so, how's the satellite signal? Do you find it reliable?

Cheers.

top front pocket of my jacket, use a old nokia usb lead thats about 15cm long so not too much cable in the way. Never had an issue with GPS signal

I leave the battery pack permently attached all day whilst skiing, and when back my phones at 100% life, then overnight leave the battery pack charging on the mains
ski holidays
Fistral wrote:

To correct my earlier post, I just found this on the Virgin site.
Quote:
7 Day 5MB Travel Pass = £6 Text 'BUY5MB' to 23456

7 Day 10MB Travel Pass = £12 Text 'BUY10MB' to 23456

7 Day 20MB Travel Pass = £24 Text 'BUY20MB' to 23456

I think the £6 pass will do the job fine!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy