Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
@Steve Angus,
Quote:

the big moment when Olivia was crowned CHAMPION

Congratulations Olivia.

Celebrations all round in the Angus household!!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
another one congratulations from me also
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Congrats to Olivia.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
THANKS EVERYONE - too many lovely comments to reply to individually. Yes very proud - sorry gave the game away in the title - whoops! Yes she got some confidence from winning that thats for sure! Someone else suggested we need space for a trophy cabinet too - not going to jinx it by including one though - doh! Still on a high. Onwards and upwards... as long as she keeps enjoying it thats the main thing although she is mighty competitive which helps!

@Noob921 - sounds like you know him do you?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No freeze

Getting the kids out the door and onto the school bus was hard this morning - come on kids one more week of school to go and then you can have basically 2 weeks of fun skiing whilst we pack the house up.

Clare had the day off so I headed out to work. There had not been a freeze overnight unfortunately so it was always going to be soft today.

This week I have a lovely lady hoping to crack skiing and giving it one more attempt. Sometimes in lessons its NOT about technique at all and today was one of those days... linking up existing technique but mainly the confidence to prove to herself she could do it and help her to enjoy it... we found the snow on the magic carpet perfect although being day 1 of the week it was busy! Lapping around and gaining the confidence was vital and I thought it worked really well - there was even some smiles by the end - we are getting there!

So it was a confidence building morning and since there was less saharan sand ' cloud' cover than yesterday it was pleasant up there.

I took lunch under the Sun Bar and then headed out for the pm lesson - game on. The kids were ready for the challenge of getting them to Tignes and back in the afternoon so after a quick crocodile alley which they love and the 'fun run' we used their passes for the first time on a Tignes lift and headed up Tommeuse! In all fairness with the lack of freeze last night the snow was very soft and heavy going - the resort is not that busy this week but in the afternoons at this time of the year it is dead! So we slowly but surely and with plenty of stops made our way to Val Claret and the target of The Corner for hot chocolate - the kids did really well but were tired when we got there. Amazing well done!

After that we slowly but surely made our way back to Val side and downloaded on the La Daille gondola. It was a successful afternoon but boy the kids were knackered.

I got home and it has been the usual this evening getting the homework done and the kids into bed.

The weather tomorrow could be a little spicy so hopefully we will get some skiing done.... but tomorrow is my last full day teaching of the season then I only have half days after that.

A reminder that Friday is my last update of the season and then it will be back to monthlies after that.

TTFN

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 in a week! Wow!! Well done Olivia and Team Angus.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Winter again

It was absolutely pouring with rain when I opened the curtains this morning which was not very inviting - doh! The kids were off on the school bus OK and I headed to the meet point! Game on. In all fairness it had dried up quite a lot by the time the lesson started but looking up the mountain there was certainly a lot of thick cloud up there! However it was very wet snow that was falling and there had not been a freeze overnight!

Up at the magic carpet it was more wet snow falling but falling lightly and about 2700m there was a thick blanket cloud. Doh. Would I be scuppered to get a lap or more in on the Madeleine.... well no actually after a few warm up laps on the carpet the clouds appeared to be lifting a little so it was game on to get up the Madeleine! The clouds were just about enough for most of the time to make it a good decision heading up Madeleine!

Anyway it all worked out well and the ski was good - so we did it a second time before working on some mental challenges back on the carpet at the end. Another successful morning. I am just hoping that it doesnt snow too much tonight and we get a decent freeze and the weather comes good so the green triangle is an option tomorrow - time will tell!

At the end of the morning the weather moved back in again! The temps were also dropping!

Lunch was under the Sun Bar - nice and warm and dry! The afternoon lesson was running a few mins late but they came and the weather was about the worst of the day when they got here! We headed up Solaise and it was not only the first time the kids had skied in poor weather and flat light but also the first time they had skied in Winter type conditions as they have only ever come in the Spring time and had either boiler plate in the morning or slush in the afternoon! So proper winter snow was a novelty for them! Anyway they were not quite dressed for the occasion as it was colder this afternoon but we warmed up with hot choc at the Datcha! After that we managed to get a lot more skiing in and we had a fun afternoon but the weather was not really kind as kept coming in and going out and it went from snowing hard to almost trying to clear up!

Anyway since it was colder at least I was not getting any wetter!

I was quite glad to get home and get the kettle on. Ben was at judo so would not be at home until much later and Olivia was home and doing her homework. It has been a pretty chilled evening.

The weather should clear up hopefully and be a little better tomorrow.

Hmmm not really got much other things I dont think - sorry but thin on the ground today.

Oh well TTFN

Couldnt see much for most of today

Little bit uninviting up there
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steve Angus, that looks really revolting! Hope it's not like that in VT next week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
@Steve Angus, that looks really revolting! Hope it's not like that in VT next week.

It wasnt really that bad it really wasnt compared to what you can get.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:

Not as revolting as the view of my laptop screen from my desk!! Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

The magic carpet certainly wasnt buried under that much snow yesterday! Since it was mega cloudy foggy today I didnt fancy another 'white' photo! Haha

Blooming fog

It was certainly colder today than yesterday and after Ben had had a nightmare and gotten into my bed so I ended sleeping in his it was nice to open the curtain and see that it was NOT raining and instead looked like there was a little blanket of wintery snow out there - yay!

Clare was on a 1000 start, I needed to get Ben to kids club and Olivia was having a generally lazy morning with a Flèche race over the road slotted in for 1000. She is determined to try and get the Gold time... that is within 15% of the openers time (yes it is a similar system to the Eurotest!). It is exceptionally rare even in junior French racing to get the gold time as it is basically the Eurotest sort of time. Most kids get it (if they are very good at ski racing) at 11 or 12 or very occasionally at 10 years of age but at 9 - hmmm! In fact I know of only 2 kids (having done some research) that got it sub 10 years of age and that is Zak and Freddie Carrick Smith who will be World Cup for GB probably in 2 years time. Even kids that are virtually winning the Scara which is basically the unofficial World Junior (U16 level) World Champs only some of them got it U10 and mostly at 10 years of age! Anyway as with all racing there is some luck involved and you have to be in it to win it! She was 1.7 secs of it on the 6/3 and that has been her closest so far... today she was 4.5 secs off. As I say bib number, the fore-runner making a tiny error, the snow can all make a second difference so getting closer but not there yet! She will have at least another 2 chances and hopefully 3 before the season end and her birthday on the 29th... watch this space! I might forget in my May monthly update to let everyone know therefore someone please remind me if I forget as she will not have another chance this week!

Anyway Olivia only had to make her way over the road to meet with a friend so was left to do that.

I got to the meet point having dropped Ben at kids club and with a thick foggy cloud layer atop the mountains we decided to give it a go up Solaise (I dont want to push her too much and do the 'Green Triangle' before the weather is good). Anyway the snow up there was lovely... just seeing anything was impossible. Luckily for a beginner there was NOT too much fresh snow so all good. Anyway we lapped the carpet where we could see a little hoping the clouds would part but they were not too... so after about 45 mins I decided that we would get more out of the Village lift so we headed down.

The rest of the lesson was spent lapping the Village and improving confidence etc etc etc.... the snow down low was more glazed but fine really. By the end of the session she was happily coming down the steep side of the Village. The clouds never lifted and it felt like mid Winter for most of the morning! I was glad we did not push it too much today as tomorrow the sun will shine hopefully and I can wait to get her out into the Bellevarde bowl! I think laps of that and the Grand Pre will become her happy place and that will be cool!

I got home, had some lunch and got Olivia who was now back from her race all sorted and she headed out for a birthday party at the swimming pool. She is getting so grown up... took the bus by herself to the party and will be home by herself later too! I am about to go get Ben and Clare will be finishing up soon too!

A reminder that Friday is the end of my 'updates season' and the last day I will post here for this season. I will also wind down other social media then too! I will do monthlies after that. The building work is now looming on the horizon so lots and lots to get done on that front!

Hopefully it will be sunny tomorrow.

TTFN
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sounds a lot of fun for the kids and parents this racing business. Would love to have mine skiing more regularly but heigh ho. Well done to your daughter. A National title Seems a lot for 9yr olds on face it - worried about pressure etc? What do you think Steve? Remember Alain Baxter saying he didn’t ski abroad until 12 I think and there’s Dave ryding’s story. Probably no right or wrong trajectory. Tho guess hirscher, Grange, odermatt probably smashed every age grp record….
Anyway suoer effort well done all again
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steve Angus, Hope the packing up and move goes smoothly.
No doubt we will bump into you when we’re back out in the summer and hear good news about the build progress.

Now back to the glamorous jobs of cleaning shower drains, de-scaling taps and shower heads before
we head back to the UK rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steve Angus wrote:

It is exceptionally rare even in junior French racing to get the gold time as it is basically the Eurotest sort of time. Most kids get it (if they are very good at ski racing) at 11 or 12 or very occasionally at 10 years of age but at 9 - hmmm! In fact I know of only 2 kids (having done some research) that got it sub 10 years of age and that is Zak and Freddie Carrick Smith who will be World Cup for GB probably in 2 years time.

TTFN

It's not all that rare, it's just under the radar sort of stuff, not really something parents shout about as Fleches for the majority of entrants are just a fun race while on holiday. I know an English girl who got her first Or as a 1st year U10 (so 8ish) a few years ago while on holiday. She literally only had 3-4 weeks on snow at the time due to covid. She's a genuinely really nice girl, very level headed, no attitude, likely partly due to her parents being so chill about her racing. Not to put down your daughters achievements at all, she's clearly doing amazing stuff, but it's all just meant to be for fun Smile Ok, apart from qualifying for Coq d'Or but I imagine she'll breeze through that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jake - yes I hear you about pressure for a youngster but its partly how they do it in Europe - the general education system (and skiing is no different) is pretty pressurised in France! Rightly or wrongly! Anyway thanks for your thanks. I think there is definately something to say for not over race training kids... its actually a fairly big problem. Staying away from a 'gates / gates / gates' only training regime is important and just skiing the whole mountain is important! The Club des Sports here try to not overdo it with the younger members of the club!
muppet - thank you. Yes im sure we will bump into each other over the Summer sometime. Hope the clean up has gone well!
Canuck - I cant speak for other resorts but in Val its taken pretty darn seriously. Yes pace setters in cat suits and they often use the best pace setter they have available with exceptionally low time co-efficients e.g. 1. The issue here is that the Flèche is often used by local training organisations as a tester towards the Eurotest standard and there are loads of aspiring French and non French that regularly train and practice for the Eurotest on the Flèche. There will be plenty that use it as a fun race but its viewed pretty seriously thats for sure. Lots of the U12 kids wanting to continue in Club that HAVENT got Gold sometimes go to other resorts to try to get Gold as its perceived as being less serious and easier as you elude to! A girl that got gold with that little experience must have been the luckiest person alive and that would not happen here I doubt. You are probably aware that you can check a racers Palmares of ESF races, basically ESF organised races anywhere in France so Flèche / Chamois etc race. Based on how close a racer is to a calibrated openers time and gives their own points score with the lower the better and accordingly where that person is ranked nationally for age etc. So its relative to the racer and not location really. Anyway Olivia was last week ranked 4th for her age in France out of about 2500 (believe 2 ESF races is the minimum required so if you have only done a weeks holiday and one race you would not be ranked) and I guess given the serious nature of the Fleches and thus the standard not being really for fun means that attaining the Gold here as she wants is a serious attainment for her. I asked a friend at the ESF today re numbers of U10/12's getting the Gold time and he laughed saying he never sees it... so perhaps its taken differently here than other places! Either way I wish it was more 'fun' as the kids are battling to get ever closer to the Gold time in these parts - doh!
ski holidays
Lovely

It was much warmer today than yesterday and the sun was shining - happy days.

With the kids out the door I started the day with recording the weekly (and last for this season) snow report and then it was game on. Finally with the sun shining / the conditions perfect (it really WAS perfect out there today) we headed up Olympic and were one of the first up there. Yippee!

We basically did the green triangle and were ahead of everyone which was nice.... going down the steps at the top of Olympic was definitely a sensible move too! I could not believe how quiet it was going down Genepy piste and boy it was just perfect conditions and I would say that overall the ski down the piste was the best I have had in 17 years here... perfect snow, weather and literally no-one on it - wow!

We spent most of the lesson lapping Grand Pre and she just enjoyed the skiing which was the main aim of the day (and week to be honest!). It was nice to get to the point where it was relaxing for her and dare I say enjoyable! Ace. Tomorrow I will do a variation including Borsat piste etc. Hmmm we shall see! At least the sun should still be shining!

I got home and changed and got ready for the main event of the day... a trip to Bourg. It was so warm and lovely and down in Bourg it was into the low 20's... lovely! So first up was a meeting with my builder and the architect to thrash out some more of the details for our build. I would say it was a pretty successful meeting which was good! After that I was off to Super U to collect a mini food shop - just enough to see us through a couple of weeks... and even popped into the shop too for a few extras before heading back up and putting it all away / the car etc.

The kids are excited as its their last day of term tomorrow before the hols so thats cool.

So tomorrow is the last daily update for the Winter... im only teaching in the morning and my mind is really turning to the building works so I dont suppose it will be that much in tomorrows update but for now its...

TTFN

Forgot my photo today so took this screenshot from my weekly snow report instead - you get the gist eh!
snow report
@Steve Angus, THANK YOU for another season! Congrats to Olivia, best wishes for your upcoming building work snowHead
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, great that you’re enjoying top conditions late season!
Thanks for another season of updates. Sounds like a successful one for all your family. Good luck with the home move and building work. Hope you all manage to get holiday time and enjoy the summer.
ski holidays
@Steve Angus, echoing the thanks for keeping us updated again through the year, and great to see Olivia's progress!
Good luck with your building work and all that you have going on over the summer.

One question from me before you check out for the summer, we have actually pulled the trigger on a full on chalet stay in town for the family next April - late, 13th-20th, including my sister coming over from Oz. I know the risks I'm taking with the snow, and hope that we get a similar situation to the last 2 or three years (it's the equivalent of this week would be perfect!) but I just wondered if the resort itself has places starting to shut down by then or would we find most bars etc. still open? Also, are you likely to still be working that late in the season Madeye-Smiley ?

Thanks
snow conditions
@moosepig, @PeakyB and @dunc999 - thanks all!

@dunc999 - good question. The week of the 13-20th April and with Easter being late anyway I should think most places will be open. It will be the week after that things start shutting down probably! Certainly on the mountain everything should be open restaurants etc wise yes. In town the vast majority should also be open yes. About the only thing that might shut down would be a few high end hotels but generally most things will be open and you might get end of season parties at some of the places in that week. Certainly this year with Easter earlier most places are open this week and bars etc too so you should be fine! Hope that helps! The snow should be fine whatever - even if you have to download day end into town the snow up high should be plentiful and plenty of options (you have to remember that most of the skiing here is above 2500m... this coming week you can ski to La Daille, town and Fornet and it will be like that until the season end this year im sure so even if a bad Winter next year there should be plenty of options up high no matter what!)
ski holidays
Kindness!

I woke early this morning as my brain is thinking through some of the logistics and plans we discussed with the architect yesterday. Anyway all good as the sun was shining and it was set to be a nice day and also my last day teaching on the hill (im actually going to take my son snowboarding tomorrow - trying to get him a head start on that) and in ski boots. Also this is my last update for the Winter 2023/24 too as im sure you all now know!

So I headed into town and bumped into a long standing client of mine which was nice to have a chat - she was too late to book me for this week for her kids but anyway was lovely seeing the kids.

The plan today was a variation on the green triangle from yesterday and a way to show R more options she could ski up Bellevarde when she potentially goes out with her family. Also a way of extra familiarisation of the greens up Bellevarde. This week has been all about building up confidence in her skiing rather than improving technique as she 'can do it' its just a case of letting her brain and body know 'she can do it!' However after a heavier freeze overnight after a warm afternoon yesterday it was quite firm first up which is never nice for anyone. So after walking down the steps at the top of Olympic and skiing down a firm Verte which she handled well we went up Borsat and I showed her the Borsat piste. Apart from a couple of really silly little falls it all went well.

But then one of my pet hates (of sorts)... massive over-reaction that has an impact on others that said person does not realise! So my lady literally brushed as she snowploughed into the lift line of Borsat the back of a French ladies skis... I mean in the same way you may brush past someone in a supermarket of something! Anyway said French lady let out a shreak and was for a half second quite vocal. Now I can understand she might have been annoyed or whatever but it was a real touch and no more. Anyway the thing was instinctively and immediately my lady said sorry... the sort of passing sorry you would say in a situation in a supermarket! Anyway it was the fact this French lady made such a song and dance that really upset my lady as she felt completely stupid etc. As it is she feels like she gets in peoples way on the mountain. Anyway I didnt hold back and told the French lady to pipe down and pointed out that my lady had immediately apologised! She didnt like that!

So the theme of 'kindness' on the mountain was lost in that moment hence my title today!

However after she composed herself on the chairlift we refocused and headed down Genepy and this time we went up Fontaine Froid so we could do Collett and I could show her the direct route to Grand Pre. That was a real success and we were back on that horse!

We finished with a lovely run down Grand Pre before downloading. It was a lovely week actually and im so glad could give her some confidence and enjoyment in the sport and she admitted it was the first time she actually semi enjoyed skiing and each day was not filled with dread! Makes me happy - thats why I do this job!

So this afternoon I have been at home and doing a few odd jobs. The sun continues to shine.

I will now spend the rest of this next 3 weeks doing my French tax return, packing and moving and finalising the plans for the build - exciting!

TTFN and have a great end of season everyone. Thanks for tuning in this season. Will be back for the monthlies next month sometime.

The Face looking ready for another day of 'fun'

Bye bye to this view for another 7.5 months!
snow conditions
Thank you for another amazing set of updates Steve, and personally for saving me and the kids many hours in traffic jams from your tips!

Hope you have a great summer and hope to see you November time for some early snow!!!
snow conditions
Hi everyone, could someone help with travel questions, one way to val d'isere for a friend?

I think the best route is to go Geneva (from the UK) and then...

Catch a BlaBlaCarBus to Chambery

Then train from Chambery to Bourg

and then taxi to val d'Isere?

It would be for next week, Tuesday.

Any tips would be really appreciated!
snow report
@eps, Check out:
https://snow-drone.com/shared-transfers/?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAqQc_qn-2d6Xr7Fz0jGLIO5kwtKYr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KfDtsS9hQMV9aloCR1sVAOiEAAYASAEEgJQgvD_BwE

€85 euros one way, absolutely reliable and no hassle. Plenty of availability
snow conditions
@chocksaway, I think I'm coming out midweek and am going to use this service.
Heard nothing but good reports.
latest report
@Steve Angus, thanks again for the best to thread ever on this forum.
Iusy take.a huge amount of effort and discipline, especially at the end of exhausting days.
snow report
@steveangus terrific reading your updates , hope all goes smoothly with building work .till next season .
snow report
Thanks chocksaway! for the tips, very useful Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Happy summer Steve. Good luck with the house stuff and thanks for another season of updates. I enjoy reading it every evening with my cup of tea. Lastly…. Well done Olivia. Star of the show this year. What a winter she has had! snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for my favourite thread on the internet. Good luck with the building work!
ski holidays
Thanks Steve for all your updates. Great stuff and great for Olivia too. Kept my interest going despite no skiing this winter for me. All the best for the summer and your building works.
latest report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@chocksaway, I think I'm coming out midweek and am going to use this service.
Heard nothing but good reports.

Have used them a few times - great service
snow report
Many thanks @Steve Angus for the continued reports during the season. One day I'll get out there for some lessons!
Hope the building works run on schedule, on budget and smoothly. Have a great Angus family summer and will be awaiting next seasons updates.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy