Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Icy boilerplate versus slushy porridge

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from lovely Austria and have had a week of both extremes of conditions. I have long suspected I am a fan of the former rather than the latter and this was heavily proven to me this week. I'm rubbish at the slow heavy potatoey stuff and I seek out the smooth hard bits. Am I weird? Or just lazy? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, Lazy Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nope - given the choice I rather have icy boilerplate than slush (probaly also to do with my skis though as they are like on railes on hard pistes but somewhat less fun in slush...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
queen bodecia, ice anytime, slush makes me twist my knees Sad sorry I missed you BTW but I now have my car back, minus all the dented bits!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slush and sugar always over ice and boiler
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Madness. As long as you're talking about classic afternoon slush and not the kind of heavy porridge that stops your skis dead in their tracks, then slush wins every time. Skis together, sit slightly back, and point downhill! Safe in the knowledge that you can put in a massive hockey stop at any moment without your skis disappearing from underneath you (which is my usual problem with boilerplate!).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Somehow I thought this might divide opinion. Myself and my ski buddies had mixed views too. My theory was that my skis (my own and recently serviced by Spyderjon) had better edges than their hire skis, therefore turned and gripped better on the hard surfaces and possibly my style of skiing is better suited to hard and smooth (no giggling at the back of the class). I found the heavy stuff very tricky, I have no problems keeping my skis together and pointing downhill, I just struggle when they hit a mound of potatoes, stop dead and nearly fling me over the handlebars. I'm sure I must be doing something wrong, but no idea what.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Being a heavy person on race skis I prefer hard ice to heavy slush, ice chunks are another matter entirely and are likely to cause falls
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With sharp edges and reasonable technique icy boilerplate shouldn't be too much of a problem, just don't over egg any movements especially turning to stop.

With no edges ( Wink ) and some momentum slush shouldn't be too much of a problem - "sitting slightly back" might even speed you up a bit (but it won't help your turns or control of speed, perhaps that's one of the problems queen bodecia?) but skis together will probably give you less ability to balance so hip width is far better unless we're taking about slushy mogul fields!

Proper spring snow is different though, if you catch it at the right time it should be really quite pleasurable as long, again, as your technique is reasonable - take it at a decent speed (momentum is good), pedal the skis (pressure), make good use of your edges and steer a wee bit (not too much though especially if it's thick) and you should have fun Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, I wouldn't say I had a preference for either, and I've fallen on both. On the occasions I've fallen I think it was due to not properly applying the skills I had at the time through lack of concentration or tiredness. Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski in the morniong, board in the afternoon.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I hate boarding on sugary slush. It's like you are dragging and anchor.

Of the two, I would choose boiler plate.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Just back from lovely Austria and have had a week of both extremes of conditions

I hope you had some decent in-between stuff too, queen bodecia. When I'm skiing boilerplate I prefer slush, and when I'm skiing slush, I prefer boilerplate. wink But that nice proper sugar style spring snow is really good - before it goes proper slush.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, I'm with you on this one, boilerplate for me.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I found that, since going onto carving skis, the piles of slushy stuff are much easier to handle as long as you can keep the skis locked on their "rail" as I call it, ie the their natural turning radius, the ski simply slices straight through the piles of wet sugar.
I'd go for the slush.
snow report
I can ski boilerplate but definitely prefer slush. My skis prefer slush too.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, Same as you boilerplate over slush any time, though think having learnt at Tamworth has something to do with that. And yes good sharp edges and trust them to the job is the way on the good icy stuff!
snow report
Anything other than ice. I can ski it fine, just don't find it in any way enjoyable. Slush is fun, until it gets to the point where you stick so much you can't move.
snow report
I have discovered that I can ski boilerplate if I have to, but give me porridge every day of the week in preference (ideally with golden syrup and evaporated milk on it!! Madeye-Smiley )
snow conditions
There's a clear divide here but I can't work out what the dividing factors are. A couple of my ski buddies were amazingly good at the slushy stuff unlike me, but not so keen on the icy hardpack. I wonder what the deciding factor is? Type of skis? Skiing style? Level of fitness?
latest report
queen bodecia, for me it´s definatley the ski. I usually use a 155 Elan WC SL ski, race tuned and edges set at 87 degrees, really heavy racing plates on them so they are very heavy, but they hold on ice and hard pack like a dream. If I ski the same pistes on my touring skis, Atominc Hubabuams, 168 weigh almost nothing I am all over the place, it´s a bloody good job I ski down in the dark so no one can see me. Embarassed
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
There's a clear divide here but I can't work out what the dividing factors are. A couple of my ski buddies were amazingly good at the slushy stuff unlike me, but not so keen on the icy hardpack. I wonder what the deciding factor is? Type of skis? Skiing style? Level of fitness?

Skiing style/skill probably.

I'd suggest use of edges/edging and pressure management being the main issue - with edges however it might be either not using them effectively or not having sharp enough ones in the first place (no good being able to use them effectively if the edges are blunt!).

Adding to that if someone tends to use a lot of rotary (rotation) when skiing and not a great deal of pressure and edge in the turn they are going to find icy conditions very difficult whereas in slushier stuff you can get away with more rotary and less pressure and edge although too much rotation can lead to twisted knees and other unpleasant end results so beware! The most effective way to ski wetter snow for most skiers IMHO is a still a blend of the 3, namely good edge, pressure and some rotary or, if confident, carve (edge and pressure) your way through the stuff fast with little of no rotary movements.
snow conditions
kooky wrote:
... it´s a bloody good job I ski down in the dark so no one can see me. Embarassed
Does the lift company refuse to let you go up the hill in daylight when they see your choice in tasteful one-pieces?
snow report
rob@rar, M I A O W ......put those talons away tiger wink Laughing
ski holidays
kooky, hey, I could have stuck a URL in there wink
ski holidays
rob@rar, LOL!!!!! After the apparition of Boris in his hockey skirt this week I don´t think there´s too much more that could shock the good people of snowHead heads Madeye-Smiley
latest report
kooky, good point. Wish I hadn't opened that thread Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
It all depends on which skis. Well tuned race skis then I'd choose the icy, fatter skis I'd choose the slush.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ChrisWo wrote:
Skis together, sit slightly back, and point downhill! !).

Err no! ski normally, balanced weight, DON'T sit back!!
snow report
kitenski wrote:
ChrisWo wrote:
Skis together, sit slightly back, and point downhill! !).

Err no! ski normally, balanced weight, DON'T sit back!!

Unless the aim is to go fast, have little control and not much balance in which case go for it Toofy Grin wink Laughing
snow report
are we talking european boilerplate or scottish boilerplate that you can see your reflection in HD in?
snow report
Unless it's blue it isn't ice ...

... I'm taking Scottish boilerplate AYE Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I wasn't aware there were different 'grades' of boilerplate. However, there are plenty of different types of slush from sugar to porridge to mashed potato. I don't like any of them but sticky mashed potato has to be the worst.
snow conditions
what about elephant snot?
ski holidays
Arno, sounds like a good excuse to go to the pub to me. Very Happy
latest report
I hate both especially if I've bought a full price lift pass. As you get older you want it to be easier - nothing like that squeaky powdery stuff with full sun to pick up the contours is there? Who wants to ski through crap in a blizzard - oh, OK the keen ones do, but not me (anymore, BTDT).
latest report
I'd much rather boilerplate than slush. I learned to ski on boilerplate, so that may have something to do with it.

I know I like my edges. And after two days mine need the burrs taking off them, otherwise I lose control.

And I know I get tripped up by soft snow (slush or powder...)

I guess lightweight (?) all-mountain skis ride slush rather better than do carving piste skis?
ski holidays
Slush for me definitely. The absolute worst is the ice when its covered in rock hard balls of ice, some sticking to it, some not aaaagh
ski holidays
James the Last wrote:
I'd much rather boilerplate than slush. I learned to ski on boilerplate, so that may have something to do with it.

I know I like my edges. And after two days mine need the burrs taking off them, otherwise I lose control.

And I know I get tripped up by soft snow (slush or powder...)

I guess lightweight (?) all-mountain skis ride slush rather better than do carving piste skis?

Think so.....I have light all mountain skis, and I'm pretty light too
latest report
Perhaps the terrain you ski most in your formative weeks sets the preference?

My first two weeks of skiing were powder days mostly (yes, even on piste). The next four weeks were spent in Chamonix one spring, so it was a mixture of powder and slush. I didn't encounter real boilerplate until my tenth week of skiing, which was a rude awakening and a very steep learning curve on mid-fat skis.

So, while I did learn to ski boilerplate, my ingrained style copes better with soft terrain with 'features' and that's where I can be really playful. Perhaps, as I experience more boilerplate I will grow to love it. After all, boilerplate is the new pow Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy