Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Line Prophet size question, advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for some advice on what size of prophet 90's to buy. I am 180lbs and 5'10, I was thinking of buying the 179 as they are twin tips and ski a bit shorter. I will be using them for piste (hard pack, easter slush) off piste (sometimes deepish powder) and also for Ski touring. I am planning to fit Marker tour F10's to them.

I am trying to get the most versatile setup possible but not sure if the 172's would be more flexible and slightly more manageable overall? The 179' seem slightly intimidating coming from 167 piste skis!

any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yep, 179
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree. I'm 5'9, 175 and ski the 179s with freerides. I'm happy but would have been thinking longer rather than shorter. They are very forgiving to ski.

The running length (and turn shape) is actually very similar to my stockli stormrider 174s.

J
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Great that's what I was thinking thanks for the advice, will pick up the 179's hopefully this weekend!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
While we're here...

How do you find the 90's in powder Jedster? was also looking at the 100's but figured if i'm realistic the 90 would be more than enough for me. Do you find they float well and turn pretty well?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I demoed the 90's on a waist deep day a couple of years ago. I found that my slightly shorter (but a whopping 2mm fatter lol) Big Troubles floated better, and the Prophets tip dove a lot. However I think this was because I was about 68kg at the time, and they were just too stiff for me to de-camber - I'm sure at your size and weight they'll be a lot better though, and they come highly recommended by a lot of people.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're touring, the Prophet Flite is the other option... I'm just a bit lighter than you at the moment, looking for exactly the same set up, and went for them, in 179. Currently getting them mounted with Fritschi Freerides...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snoway, depends on how much touring you will be doing - the longer the ski the heavier and more difficulty with kick turns. I'm slightly taller/heavier than you and found 172 to be ample for back country, skied fine inbounds but still manageable when climbing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice, hum3 I did look at the Prophet flite but figured that I could use the extra metal matrix as I do like to ski aggressively and at speed when carving. The weight saving would be nice but would rather gain the stability.

The difference in weight was making me consider the 172's more. I believe the 172 weighs 1876g as opposed to 2128g for the 179. Overall difference is 504g, the only thing is that the f10 bindings are fairly light compared with freeride pro's (2190g vs 1685g) so that made we think that I could get the longer ones. I'm not really a gram counter anyway, I could just leave the coffee flask in the car to compensate.

I won't be doing any hut to hut stuff just 6 - 8 hour single day tours in scotland a few weekends a year. My thought is I go up to come down so not overly concerned about the weight and if anything it will only make my legs stronger for mountain biking the rest of the year!

I just know I'm going to get the shop and see the 179's towering above me, laughing at me and end up trying to get the smallest ones I can Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How do you find the 90's in powder Jedster? was also looking at the 100's but figured if i'm realistic the 90 would be more than enough for me. Do you find they float well and turn pretty well?

Actually I have the 100s. I went fatter because I also have the stocklis (75mm waist).
I think that if you are only going to have one ski then the 90s are probably optimal. The 100s are fine on-piste but they do get a bit chattery if you, say, need to skarve turns at decent edge angles on hard pistes. I guess the 90s are a bit more comfortable. Sure, the extra float can be nice in some conditions but you don't really need it - I mean I'm quite happy on the stocklis in crud if needs be.

Cheers,
J
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Afternoon all,

Looking for 40/40/20 ski - on/off/touring and have come across Line Prophet 90s/Flite. I am 5ft8/174cm and 165lbs/75kg and advanced on/off piste and was thinking that 172 would be about right, after reading Hofmeister's comments. Was also looking at Fritschi Freeride Plus/Eagle bindings. Had been considering Salomon Lords/Missions/Movement Jam/Icelantic Pilgrim, but lighter weight of Line has made me think again. And they seem to be a good price.

Grateful for any thoughts.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Colinstone

I am almost exactly the same size to you (slightly taller) and went for the Flites in 179 and Freeride Plus combo to meet the same requirements as you (maybe a little more touring). Thought about the stiffer LP90, but I'm not super agressive, and went for the lighter Flites. (...and as you say, great value... )

I've only had one full day on them (Argentiere) last weekend (hardpack/icy piste), and I'm really chuffed with them. There are pretty much as reviewed - light, manourverable, fun and certainly didn't feel they were too long. Looking forward to properly putting them through their paces though!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
colinstone, I'd still say 179's.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hum3/clarky - just a Q - how do the Prophets deal with crud, particularly the Flite? Being a light ski do they suffer from a lack of "punching" power that a heavier ski might give eg a Sal Lord which is around a 1/2 kilo per ski heavier.
Thanks.
snow conditions
I've only demoed them for one day, which was waist deep pow, so no idea on the crud front sorry. Pretty stiff though so I'd imagine they're pretty good at smashing through it.
latest report
colinstone, I am, 5 foot 9, 170lbs in the winter, I have prophet 90's in 179. Have got my boot centre at 1cm back as did not like the very centred stance. Stiff compared to my watea 78's, really good on piste, good off piste, just not quite as good as my old missions in powder, but miles better everywhere else. In crud / cut up old powder they are excellent and don't get deflected like the mission did. Some people complain they are slow edge to edge, but i don't find that, you do have to work them a bit however. Overall very impressed with them, just perhaps the tip is a bit stiff for very light powder, but for european conditions they are great. Top sheet quality is a bit rubbish, they do chip easily, but i have a early ones, so maybe its got better.
snow conditions
Perhaps I'll go for the LP Flite, which is not as stiff as the LP90 as it lacks the metal reinforcement.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy