Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I know this sounds sad...

Poster: A snowHead
...but what about a skiing computer game where you can explore actual resorts/famous runs... getting an idea of what to expect etc? Using some clever Wii functionality you could probably make it pretty fun too. You would think the resorts would be keen too, as they could show off the resorts in perfect blue sky/powder conditions.

p.s. Yes, I know i'm a geek! Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now that's a seriously cool idea. I like it! It works well with motor racing games and flight simulators, so I don't see why it wouldn't be popular with skiers. Especially if the code is open so add-ons can be easily generated by third party developers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sad sad sad sad sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a game where you can build your own ski resort, think theme hospital meets rollercoaster tycoon portaled. It's called ski resort extreme. It's pretty good fun Embarassed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I envisaged years of add-on packs with new resorts etc chatting to my brother who was a games developer he reckoned you could create a working game of that nature for about £100k! I wonder whether the resorts would subsidise through advertising? Be nice to be able to skip the queues and FWD >> the chairlifts...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not quite the same but you can ski some of the runs at Big White from their website www.bigwhite.com click on Mtn Tour on the right goggle lens
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski-finder wrote:
I envisaged years of add-on packs with new resorts etc chatting to my brother who was a games developer he reckoned you could create a working game of that nature for about £100k! I wonder whether the resorts would subsidise through advertising? Be nice to be able to skip the queues and FWD >> the chairlifts...

£100K? Not a chance. Seriously, that's way way way off the mark. A programmer salary is about £40k for a start. Just 2 programmers working for just over a year? No artists, no designers, no middleware, no audio...? Forget it. There's not even any money left to pay the rent and bills on the office space.

More like £1m or £2m.

And the resorts would almost certainly charge the publisher to use their IP, rather than subsidise the development and consider it to be advertising - although the tide is turning a tiny bit in that arena as licensees start to see games as valuable PR, rather than a gullible revenue stream.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, actually it was worked out on... 1 programmer, 1 3d artist, 1 producer and 6 months development... i suppose it would depend on the scale of the game, the platform of the game etc. Not all games cost millions to produce....

Certainly true about the resorts though.. would be rather short sighted.

Was just an idea... i'm not planning on setting up a development company to build it...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Assuming we're talking about:

"a skiing computer game where you can explore actual resorts/famous runs"

rather than

"a game where you can build your own ski resort, think theme hospital meets rollercoaster tycoon"

In 6 months, 1 programmer and 1 artist would produce nothing compared to the scope of the game that is being suggested.

100k would, at a push, get you the rights to use a famous resort's IP and a couple of research trips. Faithfully recreating a race track, for example, in a driving game, costs a fortune. That's a ribbon of tarmac that lasts 10 miles. Try to imagine how much data gathering would be required to faithfully recreate even a small resort. Seriously, 100k is pocket change in terms of a game's production costs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, will bow to your knowledge chief... i think my bro was thinking he knows guys who could turn maps into 3d models "in the blink of an eye"... but this wouldn't of course quite capture the true essence of a resort or run... [edit] nor take into account the other resort costs you mentioned...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think Nintendo Wii...now that would be good...

I don't see this as much different to the skateboard games available where you can do tricks or the racing games etc..and they seem popular

Not for me but I'm still trying to finish Manic Miner on my ZX81 Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know nothing about these games but around La Plagne there are ads stating La Plagne avec Playstation. So I presume there is a French playstation game based on La Plagne?[/i]
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm guessing they're sponsored in part (probably their terrain park) by Sony/Playstation.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
I'm guessing they're sponsored in part (probably their terrain park) by Sony/Playstation.

Think it might have something to do with this??
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, lots of piste maps, certainly La Plagne, Les Arcs, ValT and the PdS maps carry playstation ads.
snow report
And Alpe d'Huez. Or at least it did last season.
snow report
cfc5mu0 wrote:
Not for me but I'm still trying to finish Manic Miner on my ZX81 Smile

I didn't think you could get manic miner for a ZX81. I'm sure that came along for the spectrum? wink
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
I didn't think you could get manic miner for a ZX81. I'm sure that came along for the spectrum? wink
What does it say about me that that was the first thing that I thought too Laughing I just resisted posting it Wink
snow report
Jerry wrote:
Elizabeth B wrote:
What does it say about me that that was the first thing that I thought too Laughing I just resisted posting it Wink

Yeah, I wanted to say that too! Sad sad sad! Incidentally, I had a skiing game for my Spectrum. Can't remember what it was called - fun tho. PS3 skiing game would be cool! Like I said, sad, sad sad!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy