Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste video to chuckle at and critique!

Poster: A snowHead
Jumping on the bandwagon, here's some of me around Morzine pre-Xmas 2005.

My biggest problem IMHO are my hands...

Please right click and save as...

http://gregh.co.uk/mpeg/gregski.wmv 18mb Windows Media Player.

http://gregh.co.uk/divx/gregski.divx 13mb DivX (uploading now)

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-09-06 13:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to remove the space in the url.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saying file not found?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hopefully fixed....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, still saying file not found.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
file name has changed rob, just tried it myself from the link above on 2 PC's and it worked!

Filename is gregski.wmv

directory is http://gregh.co.uk/mpeg/

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, sorry, I didn't refresh my cache. I've got it now.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, nice video, I should be working but all that snow has started me dreaming.......... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing to chuckle at Greg - nice skiing. "I think" tactically you could open up a bit and be more playful with the terrain - vary your turn radius and speed up/slow down accordingly. Seems at mo a bit of a constant short - med radius turn.

Specific feedback on skiing, think you could focus on tightening core (abs etc), looks like a couple of times you got pitched (fore/aft). Try a few off-piste runs nxt season without poles to see how much you can tighten your core!

Could pick a couple of more "details", but it's good to only have a couple of things in your head when practicing and "I think" these two pointers could bring a lot of fun and strength to your off-piste development. Cheers, Dave
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
good feedback dg3, thanks!

Greg

(or did you mean eat less pies????)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, Lovely vid. Looks fine to me

Did anyone see that epicski vid that was posted recently. There was a bloke on that, red helmet, light coloured jacket, did a 360 entrance off a ledge. Wow could he ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman, i think that'll be because that bloke is a member of the PSIA demo team
snow conditions
 brian
brian
gregh, not qualified to comment on your skiing but that snow looks yuuuuuuuummmmmmmmyyyyyy. Drooling over my keyboard here Razz snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gregh, watching again have to agree with dg3, you are collapsing at the waist maybe need to eat more pies to strengthen you stomach. You said you are worried about you hands, arms moving about in strange places is normally a sign of something else hapenning in the legs hips core etc.
latest report
gregh, lot's to be proud of in that video gregh. Nice turns and good control in fairly deep powder. Good dynamic body movement. Very nice rhythm and lovely tracks.

I would suggest that you are sat a little in the back seat at some points, and that is what is causing you to pitch forward on occasion. More major is that after your pole plants you are dropping your inside hand, following with your arm, and sometimes causing your inside shoulder to dip. Punching forward after your pole plants should sort that out.
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, i think that'll be because that bloke is a member of the PSIA demo team

That'll be Nick Herrin who was an instructor at ESA &, as Arno says, a demo team member.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
Arno wrote:

That'll be Nick Herrin who was an instructor at ESA &, as Arno says, a demo team member.

.......and a very nice fella too.
latest report
gregh, I presume that wasn't nasty "Euro" powder. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Just to echo what's been said so far ^ you need to work on some core stability, not just your abs but your whole upper body. I'd suggest doing some Pilates, which is specifically designed to teach you to keep your core activated whilst you move other parts of your body.

For me the only other fault (it's barely a fault either) would be your hands. You have a slightly 'French' feel to your pole plants. Your whole body should be stronger. With your pole plants they should be stronger, don't let your hand get dragged behind you. Perhaps think about punching your hand forward after each pole plant...

Apart from those silly points, thanks for posting that, I really enjoyed it... makes me happy to watch powder skiing. And it is good powder skiing. (The powder and the skiing Wink ).

I need a video camera... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 brian
brian
parlor, for posting 360 views inside your chalet I presume wink Laughing
ski holidays
marc,

Unless you know of a Morzine elsewhere it's lovely Euro powder, none of this poncy US light n fluffy nonsense that flatters to deceive. Wink

Regards,

Greg

PS I've posted the whole 10 minute movie which features all 3 of us who were there + guide

http://www.gregh.co.uk/mpeg/morzine2005.wmv
ski holidays
gregh,

Ist Vid link...probably hands just a bit too lazy...and only that from a style point of view, and on that basis, legs too far apart. But nothing to complain about AFAIC
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
Punching forward after your pole plants should sort that out.

Parlor wrote:
think about punching your hand forward after each pole plant...

Great minds think alike? Laughing
snow conditions
Kramer, parlor, punching forward works for mee too !
ski holidays
Blush
snow conditions
gregh - nice turns Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

And nice snow!!!

I've nothing to add to the above - other than to say that it's probably better than I can do wink
snow report
dg3 wrote:

Specific feedback on skiing, think you could focus on tightening core (abs etc), looks like a couple of times you got pitched (fore/aft). Try a few off-piste runs nxt season without poles to see how much you can tighten your core!

This caught my eye as getting pitched forward is something that happens to me from time to time when I hit clumps of slushy snow or big fluffy mounds that have built up on piste that i didnt see in time. My most spectacular example of this was an ejection from both bindings whilst getting a private lesson from a rather attractive female instructor. I cant begin to describe the look of horror on her face as she saw me (6'3 16+stone) hurtling through the air towards her (she got out of the way in time, the only injuries being to my pride/dignity).

To combat this I've favoured going for ever stiffer boots as i felt that they were over-flexing on the contact with the slower snow (worsened no doubt by my weight and high centre of gravity). It has never before occured to me that the issue may be more to do with an insufficient level of core strength.

Does anyone have any further thoughts/experience with this issue. I'd generally consider myself to be a fairly decent skier having skied since i was a kid, about 20 years or so, raced a bit in the past and have done a season (dont worry I'm not planning on dragging the intermediate skier thread in here!) and this is really the only thorn in my side. It really is very embarrasing to ski quite nicely down a black only to get pitch poled on the easy red back to the resort....

All suggestions gratefully recieved Razz
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe that if you are getting pitched forward in uneven snow, then it is because your weight is not far forward enough in the first place, ie you are in the back seat.

Getting your weight further forwards through ankle flexing and stance serves two purposes to my mind, firstly it means that as you are already pretty far forward, if you are thrown forwards it is your stronger core muscles rather than your weaker calf muscles which resist the force, and secondly it means that you are more likely to be performing a pure carving turn, and so the ski will be travelling forwards with no element of side skidding, and so is much less likely to be thrown off line. I would suggest a lesson or two to see if this is the problem and what can be done about it.

I think it's something that all of us who don't ski on a daily basis have to struggle with.
ski holidays
gregh = kitenski Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
parlor, it's a cat thing. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Mark2010, must confess it was a bit of revelation for me too - just how much the core contributes to stability and the bodies ability to adjust to moguls, powder, crud, rut-lines etc. But now it's something I'm very focussed on. Off-snow exercise recommendation - get a swiss ball and slightly lighter weights than norm (oh and also read a brilliant book - The 3 minute abs (if only wink _:
sitting - presses, curls, lying face down - superman lifts, press-up's, lying face up, presses etc (loads more variants, an exercise tip suggested to Eurotest wannabes by Emma CA).
This is brilliant for the cores ability to make minor adjustments under load - which translates well into skiing.

On-snow - the poles away thing is amazing at identifying any reliance on poles to over-support upper body. We spent a day a couple of seasons ago in Andorra doing laps of a powder into a mogul run circuit. I was crap to start with and even by the end of the day was only starting to really stabilise. However when going back to skiing that circuit with poles I felt uber stable.
snow conditions
gregh
just seen the vid in the middle of hectic surgery. Looks fab, and am envious. I'm approaching this but am only able to practice on the four days a year that I can go skiing. That is the most frustrating thing. looks good
snow report
ah yeh, changed my username to reflect my summer hobby of kitesurfing Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy