Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LastDayItus...any other sufferers?

Poster: A snowHead
@abc, that was funny! Laughing
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's actually been both an interesting (to get different perspectives) and fun thread.

Is there something in it? I kind of agree with the points that yeah it can be an issue on occasion but also that yeah there are several other circumstances/situations that we should be cautious about. The latter point being significant because that was what the OP was pointing out. It's good to identify these situations but perhaps don't obsess too much like @rungsp might be doing on any one situation.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

The serious injury would make that “the last run” anyway

Well yes, @abc, I knew that. It was a joke, albeit not a terribly funny one.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I guess it’s also a bit (a lot) dependent on the level you are at and what you are doing - ie the consequences.

In ALL cases the extent to which you push to the envelope of your own personal performance bubble is key. A beginner can wreck a knee. A pillow-jumper can land on a rock. A couloir-runner can tomahawk over a bergshrund. Very different levels of performance but dire consequence of over-cooking it in all cases.

When we do DH the consequences can be a bit dire, since the speeds are right up and the surfaces loose, and the landing unforgiving. We have had ‘just one more run’ syndrome there, for sure.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So sat here in 'Tux not completing a BASI course. Yes last day on snow (well it would be) for this winter...but! Teaching Telemark on Monday at Chatham, Race Training at Bowles Tues, Weds, Thurs, Fri next week, and the North West Telemark Festival in May....so not the last day at all! Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
So sat here in 'Tux not completing a BASI course.

How so? Weather? Injury?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We always ski until the lifts stop which means in Dec/Jan getting back in the dark as the sun will have dropped behind a peak and it suddenly gets quite bleak out there.

Good time to get the camera out and take some black & white shots.

Definitely time to take it slow and meander down whilst enjoying the empty pistes.

Last day the same and then say goodbye to the mountain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Q: "Have you the energy for one more run?"
A1: "Yes, but only one more, so I'm not going to do it."
A2: "Yes, for two more runs, so we can do one more."

There is no glory in skiing until you can't ski any more, IMO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@James the Last, I think what you are saying is - always allow some contingency. Which isn't a bad shout.

"skiing until you can't ski any more" is an interesting concept.

I'm not sure I've ever really made it to that point Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

"skiing until you can't ski any more" is an interesting concept.

I'm not sure I've ever really made it to that point

I think it was slight hyperbole, obviously there are not people collapsing to the ground with exhaustion as they finish their day. But there is something in it, it's surprising just how unfit the average sedentary person is. A lot of people can't ski all day without a pretty significant level of fatigue. It would not surprise me in the least to find out there are more injuries later in the day and fatigue plays a factor in that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When we were a bit less experienced teh more experienced and more sensible chap of our group instigated the final day as 'dick about day' where we wouldn't do anything serious, more sort of heli turns, attempting switch, just being sensible silly, not really stupid. Now that the level of serious that we do normally has got er...more serious (for us), so has our 'dicking about'.

But I don't really subscribe to last run-itis, or track day final session-itis, or whatever. Despite the last lap stupidity I've previously mentioned.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We go out for at least a month every season - i will always finish about lunch time on the Friday, even if it’s not my last day - the majority of people often turn in to cannonballs in a desperate attempt to get every last bit of skiing on their weeks holiday. I’ve seen it a lot, and i wont put myself in their way. I really hate Sundays too, the lethal cocktail of the Saturday arrivals crowd having their first day combined with Sunday day-trippers crowd really is a sight to behold and try and avoid.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BBC News - Tobago shark attack: British man injured 10 metres from shore
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68909513

In the news report it said it was his "one last swim of the trip"

I don't think I'll point this one out to my LastDayItus wife!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
Q: "Have you the energy for one more run?"
A1: "Yes, but only one more, so I'm not going to do it."
A2: "Yes, for two more runs, so we can do one more."

There is no glory in skiing until you can't ski any more, IMO.

Very much with you on this.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Extremophile, it IS a thing!!!
ski holidays
Quote:

How so? Weather? Injury?

Got too ill to ski ... basically a (very) heavy cold mixed with ME/CFS. Yes I know, what was I even thinking? Tele Level 3.
snow report
This thread has got me thinking about attitudes and expectations around falling over.

I'm a 50 odd year old snowboarder who has been boarding for about 25 years. These days I only get away one week per season. I expect to fall a few times over a week - losing an edge, loss of concentration etc.

Do other people on here expect to fall? Is there more risk of significant injury on skis? I have read some horror stories this season on here.
ski holidays
@ste_B, I'm.63, lucky enough to ski about 50-60 days a season, typically not long days though (dogs that need walks every day!).
Pretty decent skier, many here are better. On and off piste though I prefer to avoid moguls I'll ski them if I have to.
I don't expect to fall, but overall maybe once or twice a season it happens.
ski holidays
I have not exactly the opposite emotion, but as the first ski trip of the season approaches I start to worry that I will pick up some injury that will prevent me skiing. I got into the habit of dialling back other activity. I fence (one of the other sports done on a piste) before our March trip my wife suggested that I shouldn’t go to my fencing class. I decided to ignore the sound advice and took a straight blade in the ribs. An uncomfortable journey to the Alps followed. I had to quit halfway through the first day and then take an almost unheard of day off skiing as I could not bend enough to do my boots up - back to the pre trip caution.

On the falling thing, I’m 64, we are fortunate enough to ski about 10 weeks a year. Do pretty full days off and on piste and we both end up falling about once every 3 weeks. I have a metal hip plus a shoulder held together with screws and Kevlar stitches, but it rarely enters my consciousness when I’m actually skiing.
snow report
Last time I fell was about 10 years ago on a slushy trail trying a tip given to me by an expert skier about 30 seconds earlier.

Damn well hurt so definitely have no intention of falling again...or listening to amateurs Very Happy
snow report
@ste_B, Assuming a roughly equal level of proficiency I think snowboarders tend to fall more than skiers. Skiers have a second edge, plus legs being independent perhaps offer some greater recovery options. The likelihood of types of injuries tend to be different - stereotypical injuries would be broken wrist for boarders and ACL for skiers. I'm not sure if the rate of injury is different, I'm sure there are papers reporting it.
latest report
@ste_B, our family group of 4 - two middle aged adults, two older teens, very experienced, ski on and off piste - would yield a couple of falls each on a weeks trip. It doesn't seem to matter too much that my wife is a more controlled, cautious skier or that my son is a bit of a charger. Falling on piste is probably more of a rarity, off piste you can snag a rock, or nose dive - so the odd tumble goes with the territory. I don't think any of us have any fear of falling.
snow conditions
@ste_B, On my last 10-day trip, I fell 3 times. Twice on day 1 (not getting enough edge angle on a steeper pitch, and trying to take a shortcut and clipping a marker pole), and once on about day 9 or 10 (crossing my tips at low speed, which I put down to fatigue)
ski holidays
Falling... I think the key driver is how much practice you have had, and what you're trying to do.

I probably fall over about once a year, generally on easy off piste stuff. It usually hurts as I'm usually riding at speed. I don't particularly try to avoid that or think about the risk. It's always something I failed to spot - something buried in the snow, or an undulation I didn't see and hit too fast or with my weight in the wrong place. Hence off piste not on piste, where you can see everything ahead of time. If I'm trying out a new board I'll probably push it until it crashes, but that's typically a "slide in sideways" crash, not the full on cartwheel job.

I think broken wrists for snowboarders would be mostly for very early stage on-piste novice snowboarders.
Off-piste non-novice snowboarders would be unlikely to be able to find anything much to bang their wrists on.
snow report
@ste_B, …I’m 66 and skied 40 years. I don’t expect to fall but … I see youngsters going over all the time and know that if you stay fit and active then you can ‘fall floppy’ and do less damage … and I also know that the better my technique then the safer things will be …

So …. This year … December no issues .. apart from stupid lapse when I ski over a pole tip whilst skiing clumsily in low viz - do a 360 and wrench a calf muscle … grrrr …. Class 3 and nasty rippage … needs 6 weeks notionally but get by with 48 hrs …

January - concentrate on technique … no falls

feb - same … phew

March - bloody hard days touring … no falls phew

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 29-04-24 9:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@ste_B, …I’m 66 and skied 40 years. I don’t expect to fall but … I see youngsters going over all the time and know that if you stay fit and active then you can ‘fall floppy’ and do less damage … then I also know that the better my technique then the safer things will be …

So …. This year … December no issues .. apart from stupid lapse when I ski over a pole tip whilst skiing stupidly in low viz - do a 360 and wrench a calf muscle … grrrr …. Class 3 and nasty rippage … needs 6 weeks notionally but get by with 48 hrs …

January - concentrate on technique … no falls

feb - same … phew

March - bloody hard days touring … no falls phew

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 28-04-24 19:01; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
ste_B wrote:
This thread has got me thinking about attitudes and expectations around falling over.

I'm a 50 odd year old snowboarder who has been boarding for about 25 years. These days I only get away one week per season. I expect to fall a few times over a week - losing an edge, loss of concentration etc.

Do other people on here expect to fall? Is there more risk of significant injury on skis? I have read some horror stories this season on here.

The problem is people skiing too fast for their ability, they cant control themselves or adjust to a dodgy patch of snow, or something happening around them like a kid falling over or something else. They create accidents either by cutting people up or crashing in to you, i havent caused myself to fall over in many years, but i have been taken out several times because other people have crashed in to me - there’s a difference between falling over and being taken out.

Another thing i’ve noticed the last year or two is the amount of people on video calls WHILE trying to ski, genuinely the depths if stupidity people thrust in to the world truly knows no bounds.
snow conditions
Falling...on skis not much now but it does happen. Being a 2 week/yr holiday skier I feel I have to push myself to learn which means I will fall. Mostly it's just me being stupid or lazy though.

Boarding however, only 5 or so weeks on the tray and al still learning big time which means I fall quite a bit.

I think once you reach a certain level, if you're comfy where you are you won't be falling , if you try to learn or push yourself then falling is part of learning. Just as long as you remember your sense of humour it's all good!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think it depends how hard you are pushing yourself. Skiing as a sport or as a recreation. I think if you push harder you risk falling harder. If you rein it in a lot its fatigue or lack of focus. If you are pushing hard its speed.
snow report
ste_B wrote:

Yeah, I expect to fall and as I’m relaxed about it I don’t usually hurt myself (other than the odd bruise). No hard evidence on this but I suspect that people who are trying really hard NOT to fall end up in a worse state since they are tense.

My usual fall situation is encountering a rock/branch off-piste that is under the surface and therefore not visible so not much I can really do about it.

I guess I average 2-3 falls per week. I always told my kids that they should expect to fall occasionally and that it wasn’t a problem.
ski holidays
@Blackblade, …chance can still play a bad card… Michelle Parker landing on a rock spike hiding in the landing zone, Asbojn Egbbo Naes clipping one rock but then falling on another…but sh+t happens….
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
I once had lessons from a kiwi instructor who would always say this is the last but one run on the last run, as injuries occur on the last run.

I never ski the last run either.
latest report
Just to be on the safe side I never ski the last but one run either.
ski holidays
The last run of the holiday I always pause a couple times at the top and look at the view and take a virtual photograph of it in my mind. I try to ski as elegantly and smoothly as possible carving every turn and try and put the feelings into my mind. Then I feel sad its over to the next time.

So lastdayitis is more a feeling of sadness at stopping.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
@Blackblade, …chance can still play a bad card… Michelle Parker landing on a rock spike hiding in the landing zone, Asbojn Egbbo Naes clipping one rock but then falling on another…but sh+t happens….

You are 100% right … but as it’s, I would argue, an inherent risk that you can’t really mitigate there’s not much point in worrying about it.
ski holidays
@johnE, ...very elegiac ... nice ...
ski holidays
@valais2, word of the day!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy