Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Current Marker demo bindings (2021 or newer)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Yes, I'm still figuring out what bindings to put on some skis I haven't ordered yet, having come to a decision at least three times, before changing my mind again rolling eyes It's the end of the season, so time isn't really of the essence Laughing

In my quest for flat bindings, I've gone round in a circle and made a temporary stop at the door of Marker demos – Squire or Griffon, with TCX heel, are both available (well, the Griffons definitely are, the Squire may not have the right brake size, but that doesn't mean I can't source one).

Advantages:
Obvious flexibility wrt adjustment, removal for travel, moving fore/aft, lending out etc.
Flattest binding I can find BUT has a negative(!) delta of 1.5mm

Disadvantages:
Heavier (but not that much these days, so not a major issue)
Higher stand height (almost 30mm, compared to ~20-25mm for most retail bindings)

(Technical info found among an even nerdier group of ski nerds here: https://www.skitalk.com/threads/2024-marker-bindings.31209/)

The stand height and the delta are the things which are niggling at me. 30mm is quite a long way from the ski. Negative delta is an unknown quantity, though admittedly it's a very small difference so might not be noticeable. There's a good chance I've skied them already, but it won't have been for very long (30-60 min) – I do tend to notice a positive angle in my quads, but it takes a few hours unless it's particularly steep.

Word on the street is that the angle will change to ~3mm positive in the next issue (2025?), so this is a one time only problem. That is, at least, until I buy them, love them, and spend next season hunting down remaining stock, but I digress Laughing Alternatives are realistically the standard retail Griffon 13 or Salomon Strive 12, probably shimmed at some point in the future when I can sort that out/my legs hurt too much.

So, is anyone running these bindings day to day, and how do you find them wrt the above? Bonus points if you are female and/or have diddy feet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Linds is running TCX demos.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, then she fits the bill nicely. Care to elucidate?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, 99% sure the delta will be fine but it's dead easy to shim the heel base. TCX heel is very good and has an easy step-in. The Griffon heel has a lot more elasticity but a bit heavier along with a heavier toe. Stand height you won't notice after one run.

Biggest benefit is that Marker are the only brand that offer their Demo bases to be purchased separately thus allowing the sharing of the bindings on other skis - and they're cheap. I sell loads of them for this purpose: https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/com-virtuemart/com-virtuemart-menu-categories/the-piste-office-store/alpine-touring-bindings/marker/marker-bindings/marker-fdt-tcx-demo-bases-detail
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, aww thanks Jon, taking time out of yer holiday to reply to me (I am working on being there next year, but we shall see). Haven’t you got some beer that needs drinking?

Interesting point about the extra plates. Genius. Buying skis was never so easy Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scarlet, no problem - unfortunately I'm not at the EoSB this year.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah didn't miss much it's been crap

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have Griffon demos on my all mountain park skis, they seem rock solid with excellent build quality and I'm really happy with them.

I have had Squires (non demo) on a previous pair of park skis and they failed (Swiss safety test showed uneven release). The skis would have done a couple more seasons so I don't think I would bother with Squires again myself.

On the demo vs standard point, I have found the flexibility wrt adjustment trumps everything else as an advantage. This will depend on what you expect to use them for, mine is so I can switch from a mid mounted freestyle setup to something further back for soft snow. Also think about whether you ever expect to lend/sell/give the skies to someone else.

If you are ok with demo bindings you may be able to find a second hand pair of skis that suit (if that's your thing, not for everyone though).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy