Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advanced Piste Ski Recs for F46

Poster: A snowHead
Recommendations on a piste ski for a 170cm/58kg advanced lady. I already have some skinnier AM skis (Volkl Yumi 84, 167cm), which are fun but.... flippy, and hard to push in the thicker moguls. Jack of all trades, master of NONE. I can carve fine in them, but.....

I took some lessons this year (we can ALL benefit from lessons!) and my instructor and I happened to have the same sole length, so switched skis (don't worry, DINs were checked before switching!). I was riding her FIS slalom skis (Head SL JR, I think -- I'm pretty sure they were 165?), and they were amazing. Like my edge control, speed, ability to just shift my weight, and even depth of carve improved like 200% just on those.

I'm a strong skier (will ski anything on piste without fear, need to develop off piste skills but I have no friends and my family are all.... not at my level). I'll admit mostly, I have confidence problem, so I don't push things as much as I could, but I want control and some stiffness, which I think will, in turn help with confidence. I gravitate more to short-med turns (probably b/c most of my skiing is at high season and it's always crowded). Currently spend my time mostly on piste due to family and the fact I don't have any friends who are capable (I just found the events page on this blog and I'm IN for next year).

Anyhow, I clearly don't need actual FIS/ race skis, as I'm old (46) and not about to start all that now. But I'd like something similar. I'm sort of medium heighted, but am probably on the somewhat lighter side for my weight (58kgs or less, depending on how much cheese I've eaten Little Angel). So I probably will struggle to flex a super burly ski, but I don't want floppy girly skis either.

I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question.... but... any suggestions on models?

I was looking at the Head World Cup e-race pro, but not sure if those are overkill? Also the Volkl racetigers were recommended (but they are SO UGLY). Not going to not buy skis based on the topsheets, obviously, but some of these designers need to get their software out of the F1 pit, I swear. Laughing Also heard good things about the Atomic redsters, but as with all these skis, there's like 42 versions and I'm confused.

Also, I know that I could try renting some models, but even then I'm not sure which ones, and often the rental shop ones are crap.

Not skiing again til next winter (probably Tignes in Dec x2), so I have time to think about it, but since I just discovered how lovely and helpful y'all are, I though I'd ask... Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Had a couple of variants of volkl race tigers and tiger sharks on rental on my first few ski holidays and absolutely loved them. They're hard work noodling about at low speeds but if you ski them hard and fast(ish) they're incredible.

Bought AC30s as my first skis and since moved a bit more all mountain with the M6 mantras recently but would wholeheartedly recommend the racetigers if you can test them out somewhere!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Piste only for an advanced skier, Stockli’s on-piste range are a good bet. And their current top sheets are pretty benign wink

I think the Stocklis you can rent are the same as the retail models so if you can find them in a rental store you can try what you will end up buying unlike some other brands.

Is there a Demo centre in Tignes? I couldn’t find any on a quick google search and the only thread that came up here was over 10 years old. Someone might have some up to date info on that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mrssneak, if you like the Heads, why don’t you buy some?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mrssneak, 46 is a happy memory ---- I have some 155 FIS Racetigers as telemark skis. They are so much fun, and I don't look at the topsheet when I use them. They do ski a bit like the Mantras I used to have, so if you like the Yumis.... Also note that Volkl have about a billion varients of Racetiger --- you want the ones with a 12M radius wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a friend who is a brand ambassador for Atomic, she says for Women Cloud 9 is always the answer if they want something stiffer then Redster S7. She reckons anyone asking questions isn't ready for the S9, anyone ready for that knows what they want. On the other hand at least 50% of my colleagues who have Atomics have had delamination issues in the last few year but it must be said we probably do the same mileage in one season as the average holiday skier does in over 5 years.
I personally like Racetigers and don't find them hard to ski slowly unless the snow is soft but they really do reward you when you push them hard. I am also much heavier than you so you may not feel the same.
If you go to a decent ski shop that has rental and hire then you can often hire the latest skis or sometimes if you tell them you are looking to buy they will take new skis off the rack in the shop for you to test and put them into the hire fleet if you don't like them. This is how I have bought my last couple of pairs of skis, even testing a couple of lengths of the same ski.
BTW 46 isn't old!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mrssneak, due to changing my boots, what were my “piste” skis (all mountain 84, so not that different to you) now no longer fit, so I am in the market for a new pair, proper piste skis this time, so again fairly similar. I feel your pain, it’s a minefield out there!

I also have no idea if I want “race” skis, or top of the next range women’s skis, and it’s really hard to know without trying them. Too soft, and they will be rubbish noodles. Too stiff, and they could be very tiring.

I sacked off the search for the rest of the season, and will go to the big ski test at Stubai in November. There’s a loop that I test skis on which gives me a red piste, then a flat piste, then a blue piste with a bit of soft snow at the side, and after that (25min) I will know if I like them or not. I can only suggest you find a similar event, or a shop that will allow you to test multiple pairs so that you can see for yourself what you like.

The Head Joy range will be on my list, as will the Atomic Cloud whatevers and the Kästle RX11. If those are not suitable, I will let the reps explain the race-type models they have on hand, because life’s too short to learn all those numbers!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gordyjh wrote:
@mrssneak, if you like the Heads, why don’t you buy some?

Can't find 'em (I think hers were a couple years old, I actually think she said they were kids skis?).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mrssneak, Kid's slalom skis are not made in 165cm lengths, the longest would be 150cm.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nordica Spitfire Pro, or Salomon Addikt Pro. Both very very good skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
@mrssneak, 46 is a happy memory ---- I have some 155 FIS Racetigers as telemark skis. They are so much fun, and I don't look at the topsheet when I use them. They do ski a bit like the Mantras I used to have, so if you like the Yumis.... Also note that Volkl have about a billion varients of Racetiger --- you want the ones with a 12M radius wink

Embarassed Fair enough -- I should probably rephrase that I FEEL old. Laughing

I used to Tele back in Uni! I know I can just ignore the colours... I just get annoyed at the weird styling. At least I'd find it if I lost one!! Keeping the Volkls on my shortlist
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rjs wrote:
@mrssneak, Kid's slalom skis are not made in 165cm lengths, the longest would be 150cm.

I
I really should just Whatsapp her, shouldn't I? Maybe they weren't SL? My memory is crap. They were definitely 165s, bc they were basically the same length as my Yumis. So I must be wrong in either the version or kids/aduls. Note to self... make a note!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarlet wrote:
@mrssneak, due to changing my boots, what were my “piste” skis (all mountain 84, so not that different to you) now no longer fit, so I am in the market for a new pair, proper piste skis this time, so again fairly similar. I feel your pain, it’s a minefield out there!

I also have no idea if I want “race” skis, or top of the next range women’s skis, and it’s really hard to know without trying them. Too soft, and they will be rubbish noodles. Too stiff, and they could be very tiring.

I sacked off the search for the rest of the season, and will go to the big ski test at Stubai in November. There’s a loop that I test skis on which gives me a red piste, then a flat piste, then a blue piste with a bit of soft snow at the side, and after that (25min) I will know if I like them or not. I can only suggest you find a similar event, or a shop that will allow you to test multiple pairs so that you can see for yourself what you like.

The Head Joy range will be on my list, as will the Atomic Cloud whatevers and the Kästle RX11. If those are not suitable, I will let the reps explain the race-type models they have on hand, because life’s too short to learn all those numbers!

Glad it's not just me! If I can arrange to get out to do a demo week, I will try.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
Piste only for an advanced skier, Stockli’s on-piste range are a good bet. And their current top sheets are pretty benign wink

I think the Stocklis you can rent are the same as the retail models so if you can find them in a rental store you can try what you will end up buying unlike some other brands.

Is there a Demo centre in Tignes? I couldn’t find any on a quick google search and the only thread that came up here was over 10 years old. Someone might have some up to date info on that.

Heard good things about the Stocklis (Everything except the price -- but then again the SLs are pretty dear too).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Head iSpeed could be worth a look. About 68mm underfoot IIRC on my 175's. Really stable ski, very easy transitions from edge to edge, good for long carve all the way to short turns.

Edit: for reference I'm mid-50's and bought these last season (my first as a seasonaire) and very happy with them still on-piste, recently made an AM purchase for off-piste forays.
latest report
mrssneak wrote:
Heard good things about the Stocklis (Everything except the price -- but then again the SLs are pretty dear too).

I rented some Laser SLs a couple of years back. Brilliant skis.

Gave me my biggest ever wipeout - they encouraged increasingly aggressive skiing, until I got it slightly wrong, and they bit back very hard. Top Gun moment "Son, your ego's writing cheques your body can't cash".

Showed me the difference between a de-tuned race ski (I have a pair of Head i.SLR which I also love) and a proper hardcore race ski, and also showed me the limit of my abilities.
ski holidays
@mrssneak, Head Supershape range - eg E-Rally? 78mm waist and 12.8M radius in a 163 length. Or splurge on BC Mirus Cor as an experiment - 87mm waist and 13M radius in all lengths up to 184; big rocker / twin tipped park carving ski!
ski holidays
snowdave wrote:
mrssneak wrote:

I rented some Laser SLs a couple of years back. Brilliant skis.

Gave me my biggest ever wipeout - they encouraged increasingly aggressive skiing, until I got it slightly wrong, and they bit back very hard. Top Gun moment "Son, your ego's writing cheques your body can't cash".

Showed me the difference between a de-tuned race ski (I have a pair of Head i.SLR which I also love) and a proper hardcore race ski, and also showed me the limit of my abilities.

I definitely chuckled at that one (Assuming you're ok now)? I might wait on the proper racers then... Embarassed
latest report
Belch wrote:
@mrssneak, Head Supershape range - eg E-Rally? 78mm waist and 12.8M radius in a 163 length. Or splurge on BC Mirus Cor as an experiment - 87mm waist and 13M radius in all lengths up to 184; big rocker / twin tipped park carving ski!

Supershapes are on my list too.

Would like to try the BCs but worry they wouldn't be different enough from my Volkl Yumis
snow report
mrssneak wrote:

I definitely chuckled at that one (Assuming you're ok now)? I might wait on the proper racers then... Embarassed

Yes, all ok thanks. Bruised ribs and even more bruised ego was the only damage.

For me, the level down from "true" SL skis is definitely a better option. My teenage son, who is same weight as you, uses the same skis I do (Head 155cm i.SLR) and he's a very strong skier and racer; most of his compatriots are on FIS skis but he finds the level down works well.
snow conditions
@mrssneak, the only skis that I believe have similar attributes to the Mirus Cor are the Line Sakana (105mm waist/15M rad) and the narrower Line Blade W (92mm waist/Tight rad) but with massive shovels they're prob more off than on piste - Cor is meant to be a short turn beast!
ski holidays
You all have given me loads to think about, thank you all!
snow conditions
@mrssneak,
Quote:

I used to Tele back in Uni!

Fancy another go?
snow conditions
ski wrote:
@mrssneak,
Quote:

I used to Tele back in Uni!

Fancy another go?

Unpeels self from desk.... Runs to the gym to do 300million lunges..... can't walk the next day...... rinse and repeat for several months..... ok now I'm ready!

I used to race Nordic many MANY moons ago, so freeing my heel wasn't quite as scary -- that was fun too, but I'd rather be ON the mountain. I'd like to do it again but need to really focus on the conditioning. Might get there this year though, trying to run a couple of XC (MTB) races.
snow report
@mrssneak, Hmmm, with new (NTN) stuff it's not nearly as tiring as it used to be, and much much more fun ON the mountain... I have some spare kit if you fancy a go in the summer. I'm in East Sussex too.
snow report
ski wrote:
@mrssneak, Hmmm, with new (NTN) stuff it's not nearly as tiring as it used to be, and much much more fun ON the mountain... I have some spare kit if you fancy a go in the summer. I'm in East Sussex too.

Cool! Have sent you a DM (I think Laughing).
ski holidays
Very Happy Well done! Replied
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy