Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift bar down etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
@jedster,
Quote:

I don't understand how people lift the bar early if your skis are on the footrest.

I tend to lift mine early. I worry about getting in a tangle at the last minute.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Origen,
Quote:

And I don't see how they lower them too quickly if you have a hand up to stop them (which I've done automatically for years).
spare a thought for those like me who have a short upper body and short arms. I often can't reach the bar.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Origen wrote:

And I don't see how they lower them too quickly if you have a hand up to stop them (which I've done automatically for years). A lot of fuss about nothing, if you ask me. I particularly wonder why people who claim to have been bashed on the head many times just continue to sit there and do nothing, waiting for it to happen again.

I don’t think you’ve followed a lot of the comments in the thread, we are talking about people who DO normally put a hand up and control it, but there are now the “sit-slammers” who are yanking it down before you have had a chance to. And not a lackadaisical, sit down, shuffle, wait, then put you hand up. We’re talking about bum has not even touched, or literally just touched the seat, and bam! Bar is down.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ish303, I put it down to the insidious march of post-modern conceptualisation of the self, exacerbated by the social isolation of COVID, the aural isolation caused by in-helmet headphones, the interiority created by modern goggles and the self-oriented ideology of modern capitalism.

This means that solepcism becomes a way of life. There is only ME, and then there are OTHERS. They are NOT ME.

I need the bar down. It is coming down. OTHERS are an impediment to this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ish303, I've never had my head bashed. Must just be lucky. But I think my hand goes up pretty damn quick, just to forestall the slammers. I'm trying to envisage it - a reflex, almost. I've not skied since last Easter and that was on VERY uncrowded slopes and lifts (like almost all my skiing) and perhaps the very uncouth habit you describe is a feature in the big, crowded, internationally famous resorts which I have generally avoided. wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A fourth person joined in on our chair right at the last minute, squashing me sideways into the other 2 passengers, and almost taking my feet and skis out from under me. The chair concerned has an entrance that narrows considerably after the barrier and I just managed to get on there, but I am afraid the other members may just have bashed his head very slightly Toofy Grin as they put the bar down, as they were far too busy concentrating on my welfare than that of the idiot who had almost caused an accident.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If people behave like idiots there's no system or approach which is going to be fool proof. Shoving your way onto a chair at the last minute is stupid and thoughtless.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Origen, one of my partner’s friends is … well … grumpy. She came back to our place in a REALLY foul mood. Unapproachable. It turned out (from an account from the bubble behind) that she had been slow in getting into the old POMA bubbles we had, and while bending down attending to her daughter’s jammed stick, the doors had closed on her derrière. Everything else was in, and that was sticking out, with the doors jammed against each side. The pisteur responded swiftly, and with a hand straight onto each cheek just shoved hard, and in she went, and the doors snapped shut, and off went the bubble. His action caused Great Offence. And in our household the incident caused Much Amusement.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valais2, Laughing
I have fallen in and out of bubbles countless times. But then I am preternaturally clumsy. Generally people are very kind and tolerant in the face of my antics.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, I am sure you are clumsy in a fantastically elegant manner …
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Going to have to drill the family in the Arsenal offside trap dance Laughing

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Origen wrote:
Quote:

It begs the question why were you looking after a random child?

Not been on many European chairlifts then, @Whitegoldsbrother?

Plenty

Always refuse to look after randoms
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Mjit,
Quote:

seen everyone was correctly seated

If the bar hit her on the head, she obviously wasn't correctly seated. Also begs the question why you didn't keep a hand on the child, rather than force down a bar which is (I assume it was that sort of bar) supposed to operate automatically.

It begs the question why were you looking after a random child?

You've never had to do that? Quite common in my experience to get to a chair and fine a ski school lane of little children who just need a random adult to 'accompany' them. Basically just making sure they get on and off and there's at least 1 pair of legs long enough to reach the safety bar footrest and so hold it down.

No, never cos when asked always refuse. I mean why would you?

Not my monkey, not my problem.

If instructor can't manage then get another instructor.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kindness.
snow conditions
Decency.

And the opportunity to practice one’s French with somebody who can’t conceive why your own French is so rubbish…

And one small child taught me that the French for snow is farine. Google suggests that it isn’t…
ski holidays
Classic trolling from @Whitegoldsbrother. Nothing gets people more annoyed than the ugly side of humanity.
ski holidays
@Legend., indeed

‘Monkey’

Grief

The Groms and Grommettes are the next generation - they are the future and the way in which we nurture them will determine the shape of society.
ski holidays
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Because it's what a decent human being would do and most of us would rather be seen as decent people, not filed by others under "I wouldn't wee wee on them if they were on fire".
snow conditions
Hmm but, god, people trying to tug down the automatic bars Confused
latest report
@ollski2.0, presumably you haven't read the comments above alluding to the fact that it's difficult, with some of these chairs, to know that they're automatic, when you're new to them.
ski holidays
@Hurtle, …and when I am tired and flustered I am capable of making almost any and every mistake…
latest report
@valais2, absolutely
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@ollski2.0, presumably you haven't read the comments above alluding to the fact that it's difficult, with some of these chairs, to know that they're automatic, when you're new to them.

No I haven't but signs and chairs in front give a clue
snow report
@ollski2.0, oh do shut up
ski holidays
@Hurtle, …in Feb I was so absolutely wiped out that at Lauchernalp I followed the pair in front closely into the unfamiliar ancient ‘chairlift shed’ only to find that it’s laid out in such a way that if you do that you can get swept up by the incoming chair and barrelled into the two people chatting to each other waiting for the chair. A quick sidestep, step back and squeeeeeze against the tiny shed wall solved it but I felt VERY stupid. Just not paying attention though fatigue….
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@ollski2.0, oh do shut up

Terribly sorry, had no idea you were quite so sensitive x
snow report
@valais2, that happened to friends of mine on an old two-man chair in Notre Dame de Bellecombe. They ended up sitting on the laps of two people already ensconced. Fortunately liftie stopped the chair. Can't remember how that chair worked - it's been replaced since.

Chairs are more foolproof than they used to be. And some of the draglifts in the Arly Valley would not be allowed to be built these days - they are "hors normes". It seems that we are all more in need of care and protection from our own idiocy now than was deemed to be necessary in the past. Those drag lifts which hoist you into the air for the first part of the journey, especially when you were the first rider for a while, could be quite fun......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mjit wrote:
Whitegoldsbrother wrote:

Because it's what a decent human being would do...

There you have it! Laughing
snow report
Quote:

And the opportunity to practice one’s French with somebody who can’t conceive why your own French is so rubbish

And be humbled by a 5 year old who can speak two languages fluidly.
snow conditions
johnE wrote:
And be humbled by a 5 year old who can speak two languages fluidly.

Fluidly? Like verbal diarrhoea ?
latest report
I've had some lovely conversations with French kids on chairlifts. They are more straightforward than adults. "You talk funny" accused one 6 year old. Whereas adults, used to Brits being completely useless at French, are generally polite about my (slightly better than average) efforts. One very self possessed young Mauritian lad told me he was a much better skier than his younger brother (also on the chair) and about some famous Mauritian dishes which his mother made.
snow conditions
@ster, more of less. - damm auto correction.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy