Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Climbing skins question

Poster: A snowHead
I have a set of old climbing skins that fit my old skis (88 underfoot). My new skis are 95 underfoot and so this leave a bit of space between the skin and the edges. Would that be okay?

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Probably fine as long as you're flat on the snow. Traversing you may struggle for grip.

My skimo kit with the lightweight racing skins are similarly too narrow (60mm entire length, ski waist 65), Couldn't do any traversing on them.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you say traverse - so you mean I won't be able to go uphill with those?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Traversing across the slope when a slope is too steep to go up in fall line.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@freethemind, If it's steep enough to require kick turn, then you'll struggle -- because as you go across the slope less of the ski base and skin is on the snow. Having a largeish gap at the edge of the skin makes this worse. Based on you user name -- tele?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ski, thanks - yes I tele. I'm hoping to use the skins from my old AT skis on my new tele skis (which are a bit wider). The skins are relatively new... Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ronald wrote:
Traversing across the slope when a slope is too steep to go up in fall line.

But only if the snow is hard packed or icy. Not much ski touring involves going straight up the fall line, especially on steeper slopes, so if the snow is soft you would be able to traverse on most slopes regardless of gradient.

And what about ski crampons? They could help.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freethemind wrote:
I have a set of old climbing skins that fit my old skis (88 underfoot). My new skis are 95 underfoot and so this leave a bit of space between the skin and the edges. Would that be okay?
One possibility I've read about but never tried, is to split the skin down the middle (leaving the tip and tail together).

This means you can attach the skin closer to the edge either side, which helps prevent slippage when you're traversing as the base isn't exposed close to the edge
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cool thank you all for your suggestions/comments. I guess I'll try randonee with those next season to see how it feels and decide! (In hindsight this should probably be the answer all along... Confused )
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@freethemind, if your'e on any kind of traverse that's too much gap imho
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@freethemind, you are looking at a world of discomfort on any gradient where you have to kickturn on those. I tried to avoid buying new skins in similar circumstances more than once over the years and it only ever took one day to learn the error of my ways.

The suggestion to split the skins down the middle is your best bet other than new. Have a look at the split skins on the Contour website to get a better idea.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@geoffers, @HammondR, split skins look like a complete nightmare. Never heard of anyone using them. New skins cost around €80, not a great amount compared with the cost of all the other kit and trip costs.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John wrote:
@geoffers, @HammondR, split skins look like a complete nightmare. Never heard of anyone using them. New skins cost around €80, not a great amount compared with the cost of all the other kit and trip costs.

Good point well made (Jim - if you like the Royle Family wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@freethemind, don't do it, I had the worst day skiing ever when I did pretty much the same, 108 skins on 117 skis, I could only go straight up, absolutely exhausted after 2 hrs fighting them......
Note: also had no crampons which would be the only way they'd have worked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@freethemind, you’ll be ok in decent snow but will struggle in icy conditions, especially on traverses where the full width of the ski isn’t in contact with the snow. A pair of ski crampons, as suggested above, is a good investment that can save you a world of pain in tricky conditions.
latest report
@freethemind, you can improve the situation slightly by putting the skins on slightly wiggly so you get a bit of skin close to each edge. This isn't great but a bit of an improvement over having no skin close to the edge. Will get you through a short, not too steep skin in a pinch

Splitting actually works quite well. I've done it in the past - you only need to split a section underfoot and about 6 inches either side (ie don't go all the way to the end. The skin material is stiff enough that it doesn't get too tangled up. When applying the skins you make sure the section underfoot has skin close to the edges and you're good.

All that being said, new skins which fit properly will be better but it depends how much care spare cash you have and how much skinning you're planning on doing
ski holidays
@Dr John, split skins worked well for me a few years ago.
snow conditions
It also depends on how good your technique as to what you can get away with, in much the same way as trying not to use crampons Laughing

But as has been said, can be a nightmare on hard icy snow on kickturn gradients, OH tried it with 100skins on her 106 and did not enjoy the experience.

Cold snow not so much of an issue.

And yes, crampons will help.
snow conditions
[quote="Bergmeister"]
Ronald wrote:

And what about ski crampons? They could help.

Only a couple of tele bindings fit crampons. It's all part of the fun.
snow report
it's been said: The solution is tp split the skins. Look at how contour do it for their own, generic split skin offering.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@freethemind, if your'e on any kind of traverse that's too much gap imho

Even in soft snow? Puzzled
snow conditions
@danbre2022, I would say don’t split your skins like contour do it. There’s no need to split them along their full length and doing so would make them a lot more fiddly to handle, especially if you’re somewhere windy
ski holidays
@Bergmeister, yes. Just buy new skins, ffs.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
@Bergmeister, yes. Just buy new skins, ffs.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy