Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

AM Ski length

Poster: A snowHead
Approx recommended ski length for AM skis in this warm/slushy cut up ski era? 186 cms 75kgs intermediate. Is a longer ski more tiring to turn? Have rented last two years and been given 162 and 163 piste skis. Can ski all day on that length so just concerned a longer ski is more tiring and harder work in the piles of snow. Thank you very much.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I’m 175cm tall & ski a 180, 88 wide AM ski.
I can still get some tight turns on them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a little bigger than you, I'm on 184s, would not recommend that length for you. Depends on your approach though: in the morning some length is nice on the groomers while they're in good shape. Later, when the "piles" form, you can choose to ski around them, or dictate and blast through them. I do both. As a self-described intermediate you'll make your own call on that. Guessing around 180 is your sweet spot. The turning radius of the ski matters in this calculus as well; a turny one can be skied longer and vv.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dynastar84, I'm 178cm, 76kg and ski a 178cm piste ski and a 182cm off piste ski (with some rocker so skis a bit shorter), I'd say 162 is *very*very* short for you!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 6-04-24 21:50; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Its not the case, AM skis have more rocker and taper, they are also usually less dense, so they are less tiring even when longer. I usually take a 167 hero st ti with plate with me and hire a Am ski if conditions are on the soft side. I have had a 180cm volkl blaze 86 and 179 black crows orb this year. Both were significantly lighter and easier to ski all day on in various conditions. If possible I would use my piste ski before lunch and AM after. AM all day if not. As you are intermediate and lighter than me a 175 ish ski will probably be ok if its for on piste chop and bumps rather than some off piste use.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
I have had a 180cm volkl blaze 86 and 179 black crows orb this year.

Is that this years Orb. I have some from 2018 but the binding sheared off this week. Love the skis just wanted an opinion on what you have and whether to buy a pair?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No wouldn't have been this years, they were fairly well used hire skis, black and white top sheet with lime writing. Good skis, effortless really but the 21 radius did catch me out sometimes to start with as im so used to slalom skis. The volkl blaze less so.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My friend who is much shorter than me that I was skiing with this year was also on hired 163 (different shop) so I did wonder if mine were too short. Fantastic replies.... so rocker and short radius makes them ski shorter. Will probably go for 82 wide as off piste doesn't appeal at the moment. (I can see the appeal just around the corner though!!) 175-180 seems to be the consensus. Cheers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weight is more important than height when selecting skis. You aren't that heavy so a 165 ish piste ski isnt that far off. I used a 166 volkl deacon when I was intermediate and im similar height and a bit heavier. You can go on length and just vary the stiffness of ski you select to suit but length on its own isn't the only metric to consider.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Leaning towards Experience 82 Basalt 176 as 168 seems too short but maybe just ok for piste skis.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Good choice i think @dynastar84,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 186cms but heavier than you at 100kg - currently skiing Kore 87 in 177cms which many would argue is too short for me as an AM ski (with rocker) given my height/weight/level, however I prefer this length as I like to smear short turns down the fall line more frequently than carve longer arcs at high speed . . I've tried 184s and although there's not a huge difference I just prefer the versatility of a slightly shorter ski . . .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glosterwolf wrote:
Its not the case, AM skis have more rocker and taper, they are also usually less dense, so they are less tiring even when longer. I usually take a 167 hero st ti with plate with me and hire a Am ski if conditions are on the soft side. I have had a 180cm volkl blaze 86 and 179 black crows orb this year. Both were significantly lighter and easier to ski all day on in various conditions. If possible I would use my piste ski before lunch and AM after. AM all day if not. As you are intermediate and lighter than me a 175 ish ski will probably be ok if its for on piste chop and bumps rather than some off piste use.

Are the hero st ti a lot of work because they are stiff and need pressure on the tips or are they less work because they are narrow waisted compared to a light AM ski? Or a bit of both?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Stiff and heavy, 2 full layers of metal, race plate, metal rockerace bindings. 67 underfoot I think. Really like them but they just get a bit tiring towards the end of the day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok. In that case I think they are (quite) a few levels above my pay grade at the moment. Something to work towards though. Was on Head e-XSR with no metal. Cheers
snow report
I would say 178-180 cm would be about right for AM

I am 182cm and 80 kilos and would plump for following if renting.

SL ski - 165cm
Piste sport carver -170cm
GS - 174cm
AM - 178 to 180 cm

In my experience , unless you specifically ask for something different , typical shop rentals would be an intermediate piste carver around 72 mm underfoot - so the ones you rented probably were a bit short…

I own some Nordica navigator 85 in 179cm. They only feel unwieldy on moguls or crowded pistes … but great in soft conditions or for dipping into off piste. Very light so easy to cruise around. Can do fast long turns on empty pistes or shorter turns when needed due to rocker.
No longer available but the Volkl Blaze sound very similar and Olly from ski racing supplies (my local shop) raved about these when he tested them.

I also own a newer pair of Volkl racetiger SC. 165 cm. Slightly softer than their SL’s so for me , less tiring when skiing longer days back to back.
These are amazing on piste in all conditions (including 5 inches of fresh snow on a firm base ) .
But zero use off the sides !

If I take one pair now it will be the racetigers … and rent wider if the conditions need it.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-04-24 12:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It is possible to overthink these decisions you only need a pair of 205cm GS skis.

http://youtube.com/v/raT0CgVaypE
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, that's really useful info thank you

@Bob, Laughing not sure I would get away with either the skis or the onesie
latest report
@sheffskibod, With respect, at 180 kilos you are not exactly standard.
ski holidays
Austrian Seagull wrote:
@sheffskibod, With respect, at 180 kilos you are not exactly standard.

It’s true I am a weebl (now edited )
snow report
@sheffskibod, those lengths seem pretty short for your height/weight IMHO
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@sheffskibod, those lengths seem pretty short for your height/weight IMHO

The ractetiger SC only has one more size up (172cm) and I know from experience that I cannot usually ski the longest ski for any particular model…

I rented some 165’s before I bought and they felt perfect.

Same with the Nordicas. One size down from the longest available …

And something like a head magnum super shape (typical performance carver) come in 170 or 177 and I know the 177 are too long for me …

Maybe I could go a little longer on some full blown GS - but it’s rare to find empty enough slopes to utilise those.
latest report
Try before you buy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy