Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it necessary to care about goggle scratches?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey snowheads community,

Im kind of new to skiing. I started 2 seasons ago and as I am progressing I just got my new Flight Deck goggles from Oakley. I am really looking forward to wear them on my ski trip next week.

However there is one thing I’m not sure about. As I’m still falling sometimes because I’m a beginner I’m a bit worried about the scratches my goggle might get. I dont want to pay 200€ for goggles where I have to buy new lenses each season you know

Does anybody has experience with how fast those scratches come and whether there is a kind of protection for the lense?

Hoping for some nice chats with you guys. Very Happy

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Face planting on ice might do it but most scratches come from handling so if you care that much about them just be careful with them - ie dropping them, putting them lens down on a table or wiping snow off with a glove are all great ways to get scratches. If you are wiping off snow use the bag they come with and if it’s ice, put your hand inside the bag to warm it up before you wipe the ice off. With Oakley leave the inside of the lens alone, touching that or wiping out moisture can mess up the coating inside and they will be unusable.

Minor scratches don’t make a lot of difference in real world use. If it’s a problem maybe just get cheap ones and bin them when they are no good.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my first years I used to raise the goggles when reaching a chair so I can cool off.
Then I would mount the chair with the goggles up on my helmet, lowering the barrier thus scratching them at times.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Paul.1511, absolutely definitely buy some "Gogglesocs" https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=gogglesoc&crid=28XXD3I5LOA66&sprefix=goggleso%2Caps%2C239&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_8&tag=amz07b-21

And use them religiously whenever your lovely new goggles aren't on your face.

Seriously.

You are, inevitably, going to get some wear and tear, but this massively reduces the risk. I know!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most scratches happen when not skiing. In gondolas and queues for them and in cafes/restaurants are common.

Get a "gogglesock" cover and get into the habit if putting it on whenever not wearing them. Also when removing your helmet putting the goggles back in place/down rather than up on the helmet, can make them slightly less vulnerable.

Ps. Welcome to snowHead

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 5-04-24 7:49; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As any spectacle wearer will tell you, unless they are scratched to hell and back your focus is way out in front of you so your brain won't even register a few light scratches a couple of cm from your eye.

You inevitably will get some scratches over time so just try your best to protect them and you'll get many happy years use out of them. And in my experience most scratches don't occur out on the snow but rather getting to/from the snow (dropped helmet/goggles, slips and falls walking around town in ski boots, while aprea skiing, etc).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Mjit, absolutely disagree!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A lot depends on the goggles. I tend to go for mirror-finished lenses for bright sun, both on sunglasses and goggles, and find that even the slightest scratch in my field of vision is incredibly noticeable and distracting. That's why my Oakleys have replaceable lenses (at around EU40 for two pairs) and I'm trying to keep my mirrored goggles lenses (magnetic and theoretically replaceable, but I can't find the same one they came with and they're more expensive than for the sunnies) covered at all times with one of the aforementioned gogglesocs or in it's proper neoprene case.

For non-coated lenses, you might get away with a scratch or two as long as they're not directly in line with your eyes, but even so you should take proper care of them.

@Mjit, As a sometime spectacle wearer myself I can't agree with this. Scratches on a transparent lens are much less intrusive than coloured ones, so I get your point, but just like when you're driving at night and the scratches give you stars in your eyes, ski goggles and sunnies are really important and should be kept as pristine as they possibly can.

And also as @adithorp says, it's not normally when they're on your face that they get damaged, so be extra careful when you take your helmet off, for example; looping it over your arm with goggles attached is common and often results on them hanging down by their straps, something that also happens with frequent fallers who've got too hot and are leaving them up on the helmet, which inevitably results in them flapping around after each fall.

Finally, if they're going to get damaged, go cheap. You can get them for peanuts these days, and the lenses on a 15 quid pair fro Aldi are no more or less susceptible to damage than your 200 quid designer ones, so buy two and take a spare - having to buy replacements in resort will leave you very wallet-sore.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for “get a gogglesoc” (other brands are available...) then keep it in your pocket and use it *every* time you put your goggles on your helmet or remove them completely. First bubble of the morning? Easy to catch the lens on a ski edge when everyone piles in. Getting in a van? Watch out, you're slightly taller in ski boots so it's easy to catch your head i.e. goggle lens on the door frame. Need the loo? Isn't it nice of ski resorts to install tiny cubicles with textured walls rolling eyes

Never, never, never wipe the inside of the lens. Generally face planting is harmless to goggles, but if you manage to do it hard enough to smear them with suncream on the inside, leave it alone until you can clean them properly without damage (there's a thread on this if you need it).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
These from Decathlon are a lot cheaper than Gogglesocs and fit my Oakley Flight Deck XL goggles quite nicely.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/ski-mask-case-p-100-panther/_/R-p-313323

Personally I find things such as these covers quite easy to lose/misplace but at £3.99 it’s not such a big deal and you can stock up on several pairs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I found that when I had scratches on my mirrored lens for bright days I'd get tired eyes and headache. Switching to a new lens stopped that. I didn't perceive an issue when skiing but clearly the scratches and light that came though was causing an issue which impacted me.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Minor scratches are inevitable, and generally don't cause problems for me; a bit of flare under lights or some angles of sun, maybe?
Greasy and misting-up goggle lenses are more of an issue for me: and cleaning them is probably where most scratches come from, so be very careful how, where and with what you wipe them, especially when on the mountain.
I have a pair of goggles which I've used for years, still in great condition though I don't overly cosset them. However, was in -25C this year, and the conditions were such that any and everything external was just freezing up with tiny ice crystals immediately. You just had to keep wiping the goggle outsides continually to get any visibility at all; wiping (scrubbing?) with an iced-up glove, of course. Cue one huge gouge in the lens. Didn't notice it until I got back in the evening and took them off, though.
Big deep scratches may be noticeable, depending where they are, but your eyes probably can look through and eventually ignore them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+ for Goggle Socs - my Bolles were expensive so I'd like to keep them as fresh as poss for as long as poss! Unless your using shorter skis most AMs should be at eye level or higher and I'm always bashing my goggles on busy gondolas / worried about them being slung in a pile of other helmets at lunch etc . .
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for goggle 'socks', any old brand, they are an absolute game changer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have flight-decks. I crashed wearing the rose lens in flat light and bashed it with a pole handle as I fell. This was after one week of ownership. The scratch is large. I’m still using them four seasons later. For me, the scratch isn’t really noticeable despite being in the direct line of sight.

In my experience the chances of scratching a lens (or a motorcycle visor) is greatest when said item is mint and decreases as damage occurs. Don‘t know why this is. I have not added any further scratches to the rose lens since the biggie.
ski holidays
@kditrj2d, haha you are quite right!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy