Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helicopter crashes into North face of Petit Combin

Poster: A snowHead
This looks bad Sad
https://www.lenouvelliste.ch/news-1376785?native
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks like a copter-shaped dent just below the summit.

A wild guess says mechanical, navigation, or pilot error.

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That’s really grim. Awful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:

A wild guess says mechanical, navigation, or pilot error

Awful news.

Looks like you've covered all angles with your wild guess...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It seems like the helicopter slid down the face after the accident

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 2-04-24 17:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
3 dead including pilot and guide, 3 injured. Father and sons trip. Horrendous for family and friends Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Horrendous indeed.
When helicopters go down the chance of survival is slim.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winddancer wrote:
..When helicopters go down the chance of survival is slim.
Um, it depends how they crash, really. I've been close to a couple of serious incidents, and people walked away from both.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Winddancer wrote:
Horrendous indeed.
When helicopters go down the chance of survival is slim.

Yeah, afaik it's a relatively less safe way to travel relative to plane aviation, etc. Just dodgy tbh!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have just found out that I know one of the deceased. Sending my condolences to the loved ones of all the passengers.

Three people survived, so wild guesses about cause and survivability seem a little tactless.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@gilo, …that’s really grim. Such a difficult time for a small community.

Many on here may know that the aviation industry immediately logs accidents and begins the process of analysis. There is a deep commitment to getting lessons out to aviators. So people indeed should and can avoid speculation and simply defer to industry experts:

https://rotormedia.com/category/rotor-daily/accidents-incidents/
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think it's amazing that three of them made it out alive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13269343/three-british-skiers-survived-avalanche-swiss-alps-helicopter-crashed.html#
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tristero wrote:
I think it's amazing that three of them made it out alive.

It seems the 3 that survived had their belts off and were able to get out or were thrown from the heli before it slid down the mountain triggering an avalanche in which it was buried. How the heli slid off is not yet clear and the subject of the investigation.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, …that’s a terrifying description Bob.
ski holidays
Utterly horrific.
latest report
@BobinCH, As you know, AG has an excellent safety record - they do all the building materials lifting around our place in the Summer - such experienced pilots. A collapsed nosewheel on a Beechcraft is the only other incident I know of.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/operators/12354
snow report
How were those people who scrambled out ultimately rescued? I am often amazed at the feats of the folk who do those rescues.
ski holidays
@Origen, the Mount Hood crash shows how sudden and violent the crash can be, after the precision of the approach and the relative peace of the hover. The mt hood heli entered the ‘curlover’ of air off the ridge - where the uplifted air on the windward side turns into a set of vortices on the lee side.

http://youtube.com/v/rjDpVU8qWWc

Note I am not saying at all that this was the mechanism which caused the AG accident - we need to wait for the official report and eyewitness accounts for that.
snow conditions
@BobinCH, How it slid off is quite odd , as it should have hovering with the skids just kissing the snow as they were about to exit . Only last week I was dropped with one skid on the ground and the other off hovering off the ridge . Normal practice as you will know once landed is guide jumps out unloads the skis from cage holds the door open for the 4 in the back to unbuckle and jump out before helicopter shoots off it’s a matter of about 60 or seconds without the engine stopping . If the helicopter landed and had the engine off they only land on safe flat areas . The slid off explanation is strange it must be some form of malfunction . Helicopter accidents in heliskiing are extremely rare .
snow report
I would add that my thoughts are with the families , it’s not been a good week in the Swiss alps .
snow conditions
Not sure how many can read this https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/03/british-skier-down-crevasse-as-helicopter-slides-off-alp/ . Assuming the details are correct, one of the survivors - a British resident of Verbier, pushed the two others out of the chopper and then ended up in a crevasse but was located thanks to his beacon and rescued.
snow report
The report in the first post is suggesting strong föhn wind on the north side of the Alpine ridge. This crash appears to have happened on the largely, north facing slope of the Petit Combin. Föhn and aviation are never a great mix. It would have been a very strong and gusty wind, with big down drafts. Sad for all involved.
snow conditions
Horrendous Crying or Very sad
latest report
Actually, looking at the wind report, it wasn’t too strong by the time of the accident. Probably not föhn related. Sorry
snow report
The two lads who got pushed out are best mates with my friend's sons...who by coincidence arrive to stay with us in Verbier tomorrow.
The parents were in a second helicopter which saw it all unfold.
Imagine their experience ?! Shocked Shocked

The whole thing is so sad.
The people who died all had roots here, so many friends and family.
ski holidays
What a lot of close connections. Sad
latest report
@munich_irish, ....that sounds like a very quick thinking act of selfless bravery...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the dead is an Irish man in his 30’s, Irish media is reporting. So sad for all affected.
snow conditions
Chilling… the 70yr old man fell in a crevasse in addition to falling down the face. It took them 7 hours to find him Shocked
ski holidays
Bob that’s incredible. Thank goodness that the weather allowed a concerted search…and extraordinary dedication by the rescue services. Seven hours. Hypothermic I wonder? And an extraordinary distance to fall - a path which allowed rag-dolling in new snow rather than being hammered by mixed ground? But if that’s the track then there are some massive drops in there too…
snow report
https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/the-avalanche-consumed-the-helicopter-irish-man-who-died-in-swiss-alps-crash-is-named/a1962974785.html

Some of the Irish coverage, with additional details. It's not quite clear if the "avalanche" was caused by the crash, or the other way round.
ski holidays
Full ~4min video interview with the 68yo dude, in hospital, here.

snow conditions
I may be missing something, but presumably the drop off is on top? The crash site in the images seems to be a lot lower down the face. Did they crash on landing o or something else? If you put a blade down in those machines the front seat guys are most at risk.
snow report
Also wondering where the decent is? Front face looks like a big no fall zone
snow report
It seems they came in a bit too low and the rotor hit the edge of the face from this account. The standard route is round the back but you can also ski the north face in good conditions
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13276711/rewery-heir-british-brothers-alps-crash-cheated-death.html
ski holidays
Mr Courage is certainly aptly named!
ski holidays
Moved to tears by his account.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
It seems they came in a bit too low and the rotor hit the edge of the face from this account. ...
Interesting. So they were trying to land... on that face? Perhaps it's not as steep as it looks.

I didn't really grok the account. The guys up front are at risk from the blades; the guide most. Putting a blade down is the usual problem... ugly but experience suggests mostly survivable so long as you're not half way down a cliff at the time.
snow conditions
No they land on the top which is a big table top that can take 3 helis. Due to the poor viz the assumption is the pilot missed the top and landed too close to the edge
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy