Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Padding for calf post surgery?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just had a chunk of my calf removed on Monday, unfortunate timing as off skiing this weekend…

Dermatologist was adamant that it was not going to be left until my return, and that something’s are more important than skiing…

I reckon the surgeon was a skier, couple of extra stitches and he reckons I’ll be fine, just need to ensure the wound does not get rubbed….

So couple of days on, healing up nicely, have a distinct hollow in my calf, changing dressing daily, applying Vaseline, lost of zinc & vits, even arnica tablets.

I have adhesive 8cm x 10cm soft cushioning breathable fabric wound plasters, working great around home, but wondering what I can use in addition to cushion the wound?

It is on the inside of my calf, and will probably align with the top of my ski boot…

Welcome suggestions Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You don't say why the 'chunk' was removed, or even what it was. Some sort of malignant growth, presumably. Presumably from what you've said your surgeon doesn't think there's a risk of damage or poor healing from pressure? There is a danger that additional padding might actually put extra pressure on the wound, which is why I think it's important to consider.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jimbohkm, Jeez, you're braver than me, i'd honestly be sitting out skiing for the rest of the season and nobody likes skiing more than me!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

will probably align with the top of my ski boot…

Ouchee.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
But if you insist, a) tell your insurer and b) use a panty liner (women's padded thing that catches leaks)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Brilliant idea, @holidayloverxx! But the OP will need to scour the shelves to find a nice fat one! A traditional sanitary towel might work better than those ultra slim things.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
get old boots & cut a chunk out of them snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks some good suggestions there, it was a sore / lump that was not fully healing, hopefully not malignant, find out in a couple of weeks. Wink

Did consider cancelling, but not been for ten years and having skied a lot in my twenties realised it was on of my favorite things to do, so why wasn’t I doing…. Strange lumps just add to the impetus not to put things off until the next year!

If it does not work out the restaurants and bars will still be visitable Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just whatever you do keep it CLEAN and keep it DRY. That especially includes protecting it from sweat which is full of skin dwelling bugs.
The odd burst stitch will leave a not very pretty scar but infection could be disastrous.
Oh and it’ll probably look a lot worse before it looks better. “Eye-shaped” excisions go through a “shark bite” phase from about day 5 - week 3 then fill in again.

I speak of what I know. Mr N has had >15 (!!!!) melanomas removed over the years.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How big is the hole? Assuming that it won't get pulled or stretched or rubbed unduly, wondering if a 'donut' (big cornplaster) padding with hole in the middle might be best.
You can buy different thicknesses of sheets of self-adhesive chiropody felt off eBay (et al). It withstands the rubbing and movement which my skinny heel bones undergo in my stiff walking boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the advice, delighted to say I survived, as did the wound and stitches.

In no small part down to a very help Intersport rental shop, and some Nordica HF90R boots.

Fantastic rear entry ish style boots, brilliant support and a gap where the surgery had been. It was more comfortable skiing than walking in walking boots!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It sounds like you've been through quite an ordeal with your recent surgery, but it's great to hear that you're on the road to recovery! Skiing after such a procedure definitely requires some extra care and consideration, but it's wonderful that you were still able to enjoy your time on the slopes.

The suggestions from fellow snowHeads about padding the wound and protecting it from rubbing are spot-on. It's crucial to keep the area clean, dry, and well-protected to prevent any complications during your recovery.

Using a panty liner or a padded donut around the wound area could provide some extra cushioning and help alleviate any pressure from your ski boots. And it's fantastic to hear that the Intersport rental shop was able to assist you with finding comfortable boots that accommodated your needs.

It's inspiring to see your determination to not let anything hold you back from doing what you love. Wishing you continued healing and many more enjoyable skiing adventures in the future!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy