Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Splits on every gate?? How?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm watching the World Cup Womens GS from Kronplatz on Eurosport and I've noticed that the graphics are now showing not only the splits at the three intermediate timing points, but also regularly updating throughout the run. I'm curious as to how they are doing this, I haven't noticed it in previous seasons.
Watching carefully, it's not on every gate, and it seems like it only updates when they hit the gate. So I'm wondering if they have sensors in the gates?
Does anyone know??
Example below...

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RFID Tags on boots and sensors on poles? Accelerometers on the poles so they react when clipped?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, I was thinking accelerometers, can't see RFID working reliably at those speeds.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tubaski, I’d assume that they have a sensor on the skier, like runners in the marathons these days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wouldn't an optical gate across the piste be more reliable and effective? I doesn't take much to set a laser and reflector up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Having a quick search on it - found confirmation that the norm is optical gates, but also research from 2019 that proposed individual sensors next to the gates themselves to allow for more sensors in the field. Interesting.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Actually just found this...
https://www.live-production.tv/news/sports/launch-longines-live-alpine-data-system.html
It's a few years old, but perhaps a further development or new use of the data.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tubaski wrote:
Actually just found this...
https://www.live-production.tv/news/sports/launch-longines-live-alpine-data-system.html
It's a few years old, but perhaps a further development or new use of the data.

Looks quite cumbersome that, can't imagine slalom whippets being too happy about having that strapped to one boot? Wonder if it's in use with the FIS now or whether it was just a one off test? Haven't noticed them on boots but haven't really been looking either!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy