Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So where in the alps is it not raining now?!

Poster: A snowHead
Just reading a lot here and looking at various webcams from a lot of resorts and it seems like it’s raining up to 2000mts in a lot of resorts.
Is there anywhere right now where it is dumping snow rather than rain?
I’m due in Sauze in a week and a half and am wondering if I might look elsewhere?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not raining in St Anton. 5cm of fresh overnight. Good skiing all day, though heavier by the end of the day. Let’s see what tomorrow brings.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dumping in Tignes right now.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bormio could fit the bill. Far enough away for the warm and wet weather to the west. Looks like it's snowing on the webcams now and high ski area too. Forecast looks like snow for the next day or two.

https://www.bormioski.eu/en/weather-bormio/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski lots wrote:
Dumping in Tignes right now.
snowing in Tignes? What temp is it there now?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It says +2 on our balcony, but the roads are turning white very quickly. It was raining a bit earlier and +7.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ski lots wrote:
It says +2 on our balcony, but the roads are turning white very quickly. It was raining a bit earlier and +7.
nice so I guess snowline is about 2000m. I am hoping Avoriaz turns to snow soon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not raining in Kitzbuhel though it's warmer than it has been.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flachau but it might rain tomorrow. Its been -12
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@maddness, Well it looks like it’s snowing in Sauze right now so I suggest you stop worrying

https://sauzedoulx.net/information/sauze-doulx-webcams/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing in La Plagne (Aime 2000) as we speak... There was a bit of rain up here during the day, but the pistes were absolutely fine, & it looks like tomorrow could be a very good day snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A well bashed piste can survive a surprising amount of rain without too much problem
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The rain snow levels either side of the Alpine Ridge once again are very different , snowing in La Thuille at 1400m and lots of it whist a mere few Kms away over the border in France it’s still raining at 1800m
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all, the forecasts have been for a lot of snow tonight but perhaps it’s not too bad. It does look to be a lot warmer than it possibly should be but hopefully temperatures will drop.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, the differences can be startling. I once drove down the motorway in the Maurienne Valley to the Frejus tunnel behind a snowplough. Albertville was so choked with snow that there were at least half a dozen big ploughs clearing the parking space by the supermarket.

Drove out on the Italian side of the tunnel to a completely dry, brown, barren, landscape. Not a single flake of snow in sight.
latest report
Snowing steadily now in Val Thorens Very Happy.
ski holidays
I’m in Les Arcs 1600 and it’s been pouring rain all night. Really hoping it’s better up top.
snow conditions
P*ssing down in St Martin de Belleville…
ski holidays
So for the betting folk amongst you... where in Europe would you spend next week if youre looking for decent snow....have car will travel?
snow report
sarahklt wrote:
So for the betting folk amongst you... where in Europe would you spend next week if youre looking for decent snow....have car will travel?

Val Thorens or Tignes, higher the better probably
ski holidays
Has been snowing all night in La Rosiere. Approx 12cm so far. Forecast is for LOTS more today. Risk of flooding in the valley bottom. Yesterday was skiing in the rain. Hands got slightly wet, that’s all. If these conditions are common across the Tarentaise, any of the resorts here should be ok next week.
ski holidays
Dumping in La Rosiere now, 8:20AM
latest report
This forum is so Franco-centric and over-dramatic that it's hilarious. Rains for a day in the Tarentaise and "skiing is over"...

Now appears to be dumping snow in the Tarentaise.

Has also been dumping just the other side of the alpine ridge and didn't rain there, take a quick look at the webcams for anywhere in the Aosta valley. Montgenevre looks pretty damm snowy, mere km from Sauze. Sauze looking pretty good on the cameras too.

Might be a bit damp in the PdS villages, but they're pretty low.
snow report
And I think it's mostly fine in Austria? But that's not a lot of consolation if you're in the Tarentaise. It's understandable that people who have spent a lot of money on a week's holiday, at what should be a reasonably snow-sure time of year, are disappointed to get days of heavy rain.
snow report
Sure, but mountain weather is mountain weather and we are at the mercy of the jetstream and its peculiar perambulations.

And as far as the Tarentaise goes, I'd love to be in Les Arcs today, the cameras look amazing.

Many of us have been around for long enough to remember the "end of skiing in the Alps" in the 1980's because of a succession of bad winters, and the big push for North American skiing and then snowmaking that came about after.
latest report
The season might be over in Verbier.
Currently raining hard in town.

The 30-40 cms that fell last night, and the continuing heavy snowfall on the mountain will mean that skiing just cannot continue I'm sad to say.

Oh well, that's global heating for you.
ski holidays
Quote:

mountain weather is mountain weather

And mountain weather, like so much else, is changing. I can remember, back in the days when teletext was the only way of getting info about what conditions were like, that weather for skiing was so bad that national TV news carried reports of people in the Jungfrau hiking the green meadows and I've also experienced very poor snow conditions back then in Serbia and in Austria. But, as you say, investment in snow-making has made a huge difference as poor snow conditions then were often because of very dry weather. Snow cannons make no difference if it's warm enough to rain and rain to 2000m in the northern French alps in mid January probably is indicative of climate change.

And if days of your only week in the snow are ruined by heavy rain, I think having a moan about it is perfectly in order!
snow report
shannyla wrote:
And as far as the Tarentaise goes, I'd love to be in Les Arcs today, the cameras look amazing.
Perhaps, but I suspect you’d be a bit frustrated in Les Arcs today, especially if you were in Arc 2000, as there is limited opening because so much fresh snow fell overnight the pisteurs have a major job today to secure the pistes from avalanche danger.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Still snowing in Tignes. Limited openings first thing and some lifts have closed now due to high winds. What is open is stuffed with classes and folk falling over. We have retreated for the moment. Seems a little more is open on the posh side of the mountain.
snow report
Currently raining in Meribel but getting colder and still forecasting 30cm of snow tonight. It was -10 on Tuesday and forecast to be -10 again on Saturday. Climate change seems to be giving us lots of yoyoing temperatures.
To the OP I would not try to predict what the snow will be like in 10 days time based on today, several weather cycles to come before then so impossible to know.
latest report
been snowing around 1,600 in Chamonix since dawn.
snow report
Quote:

Perhaps, but I suspect you’d be a bit frustrated in Les Arcs today, especially if you were in Arc 2000, as there is limited opening because so much fresh snow fell overnight the pisteurs have a major job today to secure the pistes from avalanche danger.

This always makes me feel smug being the other side of the ridge and not having to get the navette around.
ski holidays
For sure. Being stuck in 1950 or 2000 and the only lift open is Marmottes whilst all around is literally smothered in new snow must be an exercise in frustration.

Valley side all the way...
snow report
Just had a look at Champoluc, there is loads of snow in the village. So clearly a problem for a small part of the French alps.
ski holidays
Don't be fooled about the snow that is falling, as I'm just back off the hill and it is so heavy, though obviously better higher you go, but here in Serre Che most of the lifts were closed due to all the avy control going on at altitude

So rain at 1400 and puking at 1900, snow on the chemins was velcro that wanted to pull your kneecaps out.

I might be masochistic and go up again as can see more lifts opening.
ski holidays
Blizzard conditions and thick FOG!!! are the order of the day at La Rosiere at the moment. Or rain if you ski the run that goes beneath the village. Hestra gloves and rain make for cold wet hands. Synthetic gloves this afternoon.
latest report
kditrj2d wrote:
Blizzard conditions and thick FOG!!! are the order of the day at La Rosiere at the moment. Or rain if you ski the run that goes beneath the village. Hestra gloves and rain make for cold wet hands. Synthetic gloves this afternoon.

Should have bought the goretex version!
ski holidays
The thing about wet heavy snow is that when it freezes it makes an excellent solid base for the rest of the season. None of that fluffy stuff that just gets swept or blown off. One environmental complaint about artificial snow was that it was much denser than real snow so lasted longer into the summer.
snow report
Gonna be very cold over next two days so loads of moisture will be sucked out the snowfall from the last two days looks great for the weekend in most places
snow conditions
Been raining all through the night here in Zell am See. Roads were treacherous and it is a lot warmer. This looks to continue with high winds unfortunately.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy