Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice re attending Womens world cup Kronplatz or Cortina

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
my wife and I will be in Alta badia in late January at the same time as there are 4 womens world cup races and thought we might pop along for a nosey one day. We have the following options but having never attended one of these before we'd welcome some advice.

Cortina d’Ampezzo
Friday 26 January 2024 - Downhill
Saturday 27 January 2024 - Downhill
Sunday 28 January 2024 - Super G

Kronplatz
Tuesday 30 January 2024 - Giant Slalom

So a couple of questions,
how busy will it likely get ? presumably the weekend at Cortina will be busier than the weekdays?
How much action is there to actually see? a couple of hours or is there something going on all day?
is it worth getting tickets for one of the stands or is it easy enough to view from a piste ?
Is it best to ski over and around or park up and walk around?

I see most other pistes will be open but has anyone attended events at either of these resorts?
if so at Kronplatz is it feasible to park/bus to Piculin and ski over to the main area on race day ?

At Cortina can you get from the the Pocol area across the race piste and up to RA Valles? (it would seem best to park on that side of the resort either at Son dei Prade or the newish lift at Bai de Dones)

advice would be very welcome.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was in S Vigilio Jan 19. We were staying in the hotel opposite the arrival so I watched the GS from my room . What I really enjoyed was the after competion. It was full of kids and the skier spent time with them, lots of selfies, Federica especially was so pleasant to everyone. M Shiffrin quite literally run away which was disappointing and Petra had a huge following and they were all very merry Very Happy . You can pay for the ticket or just stand on the side free of charge, not sure how much you can see without paying as some people were there hours before taking the best spots, if you stand far away off the side you will only see the top of the Erta . we love watching skiing on tv, so it was a treat to be there , hope u enjoy as well if nothing else for the mingling at the end. I have photos with lots of the top athletes and since that day we have a soft spot for R Mowinckle , she is the sweetest girl ever.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Harrow lady, thanks for the info
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Harrow lady
I was actually there as well that week. Had a nice reasonably priced apartment for the 3 of us and could see Erta from our balcony/living room. Unfortunately, I was too busy skiing to watch. But the light show at night was fantastic! San Vigilio is a great little village.

Yes, we went up the race area and down back to get to Alta Badia and did the reverse coming back on Race Days. Everything will be accessable except for the race runs. I honestly didn't feel like it was too busy. Took the Bus both ways
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the pistes were not too busy because they were watching the competion, check the videos on YouTube of the day , it is not Wengen or Kitz but as far as women skiing goes it is one of the most attended.
I felt sorry for the guys the day after, they were doing a europa cup gs and literally they were 10 people at most watching,
I agree S Vigilio is a lovely base to explore the area and easy to get the bus to badia, planning to go back soon,
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @richb67,

A few of us from the Pre BB Bash plan to come around to Kronplatz to watch as well. I’m a big Mikaela fan and it’s been on my bucket list to watch her live. We plan to get a car over to Kronplatz from Alleghe. But I’ve no experience watching a World Cup event so would be most grateful if anyone had any advice. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@aewynia, We have a car but are concerned about parking as IIRC there’s not lots at St Vigil or Piculin so tomorrow we’re planning to try the bus from La Villa as there is plenty of parking at the bus stop. If it’s straightforward and we decide to go then we’ll probably park there and use the bus.

It’s difficult to know how busy it will be.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There isn’t a lot of parking in the centre of San Vigilio but as you drive into SV from Zwischenwasser / Longega after you have gone through Mantena and before you get into SV there is a pay car park on the right.

(Upper yellow circle is car park) From there follow the yellow line I have drawn on the map and cross the river by the footbridge opposite the Monte Sella Hotel. That takes you to the “finish” grandstand area (bottom yellow circle on the map).
It is actually very close.
I’m sorry I don’t know how busy it will be. I think there are actually two car parks on the same side of the road there
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@aewynia, we visited Kronplatz by bus today.

We arrived a bit late but ca 10:30 the Piculin car park only had a couple of spaces, around lunchtime the car park on the pic from @JHS was ca 2/3 full. (We actually parked there on our last visit as the other larger one was full.)

I have no idea how popular these events are so it’s difficult to know what’s best to do. I’ll try and remember to ask my instructor when I see him on Sunday.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ps just looked on their website, it looks like the parking circled above might be designated VIP parking

https://www.kronplatzevents.com/en/events/audi-fis-ski-world-cup/program

Maybe a snowheads sticker will get you in? Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The car park a bit further down towards Mantena (circled blue) is larger but I can’t say how full it might get.

The other car park is circled yellow. The route following the foot path over the footbridge is orange
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow, thanks for sharing the info @richb67 and @JHS. I’m not the one driving… are you also planning to attend the event @JHS?

Hi @Old Man of Lech, what do you make of all this helpful information? Very Happy

It is starting to look like a very early road trip here… Shocked

Thanks again guys!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
aewynia wrote:
Wow, thanks for sharing the info @richb67 and @JHS. I’m not the one driving… are you also planning to attend the event @JHS?

I won’t be there in January. I’m going 10th February and again 16th March
Have a good trip
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh no… my dreams to see Mikaela in action at Kronplatz on Tuesday may be slowly slipping away…Crying or Very sad

Still going though!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So we attended Kronplatz today and had a great time, thanks @aewynia for sourcing some fan zone tickets. However there were plenty of viewing opportunities.

We watched the first 15 or 20 runs then went skiing and came back to watch the last 10 of the second run, ie the finale!

There was a great atmosphere and it was nice to meet 4 snowheads in real life.

Definitely recommend if you have the opportunity and fancy a day out.

Ps the Italians also sing Sweet Caroline at sporting events Very Happy
ski holidays
So glad Sofia my favourite female skier did so well today, her best result in GS. Go girl.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy