Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Sounds like you were there last year too, how did the 2 seasons compare?

This is a good question. Honestly, if I zoom out and squint my eyes they were fairly similar, in the patterns of stretches of very warm and dry unseasonal weather interspursed with some nice snow and powder dumps along the way. The early season this year, i.e. Nov and Dec was way better than 2022, and that certainly helped set up the higher altitude base for a much better season up high. The snowline this year was noticeably higher than last however - we live in Mont-Saxonnex, at 1000m across the valley and only had snow at our house a handful of times this season. The mayor here decided to shut down the telesiege at our local ski station, and the sad thing is I don't think it would have been able to open even if the lift was still there. Early on I heard musings that we were heading for a record high year of snowfall above 2000m and a record low below, and while I don't know if that's exactly accurate the general sentiment seems correct.

I got much better at curating my weather forecasts and reading the ensemble charts myself in this second season, which resulted in me being able to really pick and choose my days when the conditions were nice and get some work done on the others haha.

Quote:

Samoëns is a lovely village and would happily return

I totally agree, we've been spending a lot of time in the Giffre valley and have some friends there and Morillon and we really like it. We moved to Mont Sax somewhat on a whim - my wife is French and has roots in the area, but we had never really spent any time there. We always wondered what it would be like to live in a tiny French village, and now we know - it's a bit small for our tastes tbh, although parts of it are lovely. If/when we come back we'd be looking for somewhere with a bit more opportunities for community, better public transportation, and a bit of an ex-pat community as well. Samoens seems to have all of those things and still be tucked away from the hustle and bustle of Cham and Geneva. Plus, if I could walk to the lift, well I would be a very happy man. Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@coldrainsnow, Hope the wife's ACL heals well. Did she do that skinning in Plate?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BAN, thanks! So far so good. She's got almost full mobility back already so the challenging part will be to keep wearing the brace to protect her graft while it sets, and not do too much.

Yeah, such a silly fall... literally the the last turn before the Refuge de Salles and no idea what happened, she just went down on like a 30 degree pitch. I was behind her and was like "Ca va?" and she immediately said "No...." and I knew it wasn't good. Wish there was a better story, like she botched a 30 foot cliff drop, but that doesn't seem to be how these usually happen.

I'm thankful she got in with this surgeon and the French health care has been top so far. Pretty impressive honestly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy