Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan: more specific help needed

Poster: A snowHead
Back in the summer I posted about a potential first ski trip to Japan, but inexcusably I did not answer to the thread (which, in great snowheads tradition, veered a bit - towards discussing avalanches in trees).

In the meantime we booked tickets: arriving Feb 8th just after noon, flying back February 18 at 5pm (and yes, I know that we land in the middle of the Chinese New Year holiday). That gives us a maximum of 9 ski days, possibly just 7 or 8 if we do a day in Tokyo or if we mix Honshu and Hokkaido. It will be just me and my wife. She is a good and fearless skier (she skied the north face of Valluga on the day she found out she was pregnant), but doesn't have lots of experience in deep powder. Outside Europe, we have skied together before in Whistler, Breckenridge / Vail, and Cerro Catedral (the latter with a guide).

We already received some good advice on the other thread (thanks all!) but, now that I did a lot more research, I'd welcome further input.

Here's our thinking:

- We're leaning towards combining two areas in Honshu, rather than one in Honshu and one in Hokkaido, to cut back on travel time
- At this point, we're thinking Hakuba and Myoko Kogen, 4-5 days each (perhaps starting in Myoko Kogen as the first week is the busier one, but that's the less busy area). This seems to give lots of opportunities to ski different areas, access some really cool terrain, and score some serious powder
- as an option to one of the above, we're also thinking Nozawa Onsen (but see below question re backcountry)

- The second big option is to combine two areas in Hokkaido - probably Niseko+ Rusutsu and separately Furano. This would further increase the chances of powder, at additional cost (both travel and more expensive accommodation) and travel time, and potentially with busier resorts and less interesting terrain. We may be able to use the first day and last days for travel to/ from Hokkaido, hence not losing ski time. Hard to decide between the potential of even better powder and the downsides...

- probably the least favourite option is to do 4 days in Honshu and 4 in Hokkaido, as we'll definitely lose at least a day on travel, and we'll be tired.

And now some key practical questions:
- most importantly, do we get a guide? We'd prefer to do so...any suggestions? or one of those organised tours? (eg Powder Recon, if we find spaces)
- I'm aware that the resorts are small but that with great powder you can find lots of lines... nevertheless, if we want to also go backcountry, which are the areas where this is not allowed? (I've read that it's not permitted in Nozawa Onsen, for instance)
- for Honshu, I assume we'll take the fast train to Nagano, then I was thinking of renting a car so we stay flexible - any major issues with that? (I've read in another thread that I need to get an international licence, so I will)
- I assume we need to book accommodation asap? What about guides? now or over there, if / when needed?
- skis: she will have some DPS 112s, I'll have my Whitedot Ronde 110s (I also have some Countdown 114s but, although the Rondes are narrower, I think I prefer them). Wide enough?
- do we need to get ski passes in advance? I would prefer to pick the ski area on the spot, and I understand tickets are not that expensive
- any particular recommendations re accommodation?
- anything really important that I'm missing?

Fire away with any comments!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With my limited experience- hard to get feedback from guides online. Guided tours also get booked pretty quick. You can chance and try booking on spot. One other option - check if catski is available in the area you are going to..

Two areas on the same island is better imp than island hopping. Niseko/Rusutsu are two different areas but very close to each other so not difficult logistically.

Btw, in case you hire a car your driver’s permit is important - different rules for BE, RO and UK issued permits

Accommodation is not expensive if you have wheels.

By arriving you meant Tokyo or closer o slopes?

Re skipass - no need to book in advance
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mooney058, many thanks! I've read that you're off to Furano in mid-Jan, enjoy! Let's (finally) have that beer we talked about for so long... any time in the coming week or next? PM me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizon, will PM, next week is full of travels.

PS super jealous of your choice of skis. Any of them will do. When skied with MikePow in 2018 he was on skinny pair Smile Taking my oldish qst106 (shifts and skins so good for a light tour), for my ability level they are plenty.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can give you a bit of advice about myoko - went there earlier this year for a few weeks.

Car hire from Nagano station is easy. All the big operators are there. Snow tyres are pretty much standard. I used Toyota car rental and no issues and a good price. Screwed the crap out of an AWD vitz getting up a few hills in deep snow Very Happy

Didn’t use a guide ( booked one for a day he did a no show)

Suiginohara has an easily found route up the volcano from the top lift. Every time I went out there, I saw a fair few people around.

I really enjoyed ikenotaira on a couple of deep days. Low angle and I’m a snowboarder so YMMV but it was great in the trees.

Akakura kanko and onsen were a bit average imo - relatively busy, and a pita because I didn’t get a pass for both so ended up doing a bit of walking between lifts.

Seki onsen was great

If you have a car, Lotte arai is really well set up for off piste - all gladed and risk summaries on the gates. It’s a bit of a big soulless resort though, I wouldn’t stay there and there’s a lot of competition for freshies

Togskushi is fun but I got chased through the trees a few times by patrol Toofy Grin There’s a nice walk to the ninja temples as a side trip there

Charmant huichi is great and ok about off piste.

Never made it to madarao but it looks great.

You can buy discount lift passes up front from https://surfsnow.jp/. That saved me a fair bit of money. Worth carrying cash at ski areas too.

Also I threw a set of verts in my pack on the big days. A literal life saver to get out of deep trouble. It gets ridiculously deep there Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with @mooney058, stick to one island.

Only skied Hakuba Valley on Honshu.

Had a great time. Varied days in different resorts. Snow was deep if a little wet (compared with Hokkaido) but was still excellent. IMHO the terrain isn't markedly different inbounds from the larger Hokkaido resorts. It's the above the lifts sidecountry and backcountry terrain which is steep, deep, and long.

If I was going to Honshu and conditions were similar across the resorts then I'd be looking at two from

Hakuba Valley
Myoko region
Lotte Arai
Tenjindaira

Not necessarily in that order

@BobinCH did Tenjin. It looked fantastic

https://www.snowsbest.com/hoshino-resorts-tenjindaira-ski/?fbclid=IwAR1NRiBa9EbGsXwPLCQ4CY9NCbYaoeMW01zZzTjPa9ECZKbI714419Rkulo
https://www.snowsbest.com/tenjindaira-gunma-big-mountain-ski/?fbclid=IwAR2Gd9B7IaRPu_uHjqaOw-8A0QN_wHvlnaZzl_KsyU1S3_IuTd3adLKxcJ0

He stayed with these guys
https://tenjinlodge.com/backcountry/?fbclid=IwAR09HYuPrgzo_1j6zv_KviE4SZfX4kg0QZ-A80NW6OcXL4f8dAAqmSY4oKY

Having seen what you like skiing, then I'd have a look at this.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A couple of my mates went to Tenjin this year and loved it. Definitely on my to do list.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizon, will you have touring gear with you? I only know about Akakura kanko and Ikenotaria, but in my opinion the inbounds stuff is nothing special and not worth travelling from the UK for. There is some lift accessed side country that is good but really to make the most of it you need to tour above the lifts. You're not going to get a huge amount of vertical in each day doing that but it is very different to anything in Europe and would normally offer great snow and good terrain. I did two guided days with these guys:

https://www.dancingsnow.com/

And I thought that they were great but be aware that they don't do group tours every day, they need enough people before they will run. I'm not sure how many clients they need before you get the group price rather the private price. While I feel happy recommending Dancing Snow I feel a bit more ambivalent about recommending Myoko Kogen due to feeling limited in the inbounds area but didn't ski anywhere else so can't compare. There were also some pretty long lift queues when I was there but I only did weekends there so it might be quieter midweek. It's ease of access from Tokyo is why I chose it but might also have contributed to its busyness
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@hang11, many thanks for the advice! still looking for accommodation (not a lot left!), so the options really help - for instance I found something near Seki onsen.

(I'm also thinking Shiga Kogen as the area is bigger).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike Pow, great, thank you!

If we could chance it with leaving accommodation until the last moment, I'd probably do that and head to the best snow area - there's just so much choice! But I'm worried that we'd have nowhere to stay (and, although we're flexible, my wife does want to feel like she's on holiday, so we're not looking for luxury but at least a private bathroom and something to do in the evening).

I'll definitely contact Tenjin Lodge as that could be really cool for part of the trip.

(But if we changed our mind and decided to go to Hokkaido for the full trip, since it's not much difference in travel time from Narita airport, what would you suggest?)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rambotion, we're absolutely taking touring gear with us, actually neither of us has used skis without touring bindings for the last three years at least! (so we just have to remember to take the skins with us, of course).

I'm aware that the inbounds terrain can be limiting in many resorts as they're a lot smaller. I'd be quite happy lapping up powder in the trees for many days, but we'd definitely want to access some more interesting terrain at least on around half of the days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:
@Mike Pow, great, thank you!

If we could chance it with leaving accommodation until the last moment, I'd probably do that and head to the best snow area - there's just so much choice! But I'm worried that we'd have nowhere to stay (and, although we're flexible, my wife does want to feel like she's on holiday, so we're not looking for luxury but at least a private bathroom and something to do in the evening).

I'll definitely contact Tenjin Lodge as that could be really cool for part of the trip.

(But if we changed our mind and decided to go to Hokkaido for the full trip, since it's not much difference in travel time from Narita airport, what would you suggest?)

As you haven't been before I would recommend the Niseko United, Niseko Moiwa, Rusutsu and Kiroro

Out of one base with drives 1hr each way max you get a real sense of what that part of Hokkaido has to offer

Throw in a cat day and/or a touring day or two and that would make for a great first trip
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Everyone needs to stop talking about Tenjin!

Joke. Have stayed there a lot and my favourite place on both islands. Serious mountains and a great walk to the peak when it’s sunny. Can get dangerous with a lot of snow. Only place I’ve ever come off the mountain because it was too deep. A boarder fell over that day and they found him in the spring. Shocker! Worth guiding a day with Kieren but after that it’s easy to navigate.

Kieren and the team are so nice and the lodge is very chilled out. Good beers and food. Amazing food down in Minakami and ski a lot in Hodaigi with some really cool old onsen nearby. They will transfer you there.

Back in late January but spending the rest of the time in Aomori and Tohoku as looks to be an El Niño year. Dumps everywhere though so more about luck.

Enjoy all!

J
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:
@hang11, many thanks for the advice! still looking for accommodation (not a lot left!), so the options really help - for instance I found something near Seki onsen.

If you go for Shiga Kogen this may give a flavour. Trip with my son whilst he was studying at Waseda University in Tokyo. https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142632

I’ve not skied anywhere else in Japan so doesn’t count as a locals recommendation like you get from @MikePow
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Madarao is really fun by the way! Agree on Myoko - short pitches inbounds but great touring options. It chucks it there also. Lots of Aussies!
ski holidays
horizon wrote:

Shiga is not for evening intertainment and pritty booked out.

Party party - go Niseko (Hirafu) - remember to book your dinners, if you do not stay HB. (not cheap - especialy in your time-frame.)

Japan is more for commual baths/onsen. wink

(from a piste skier)
ski holidays
@horizon, myoko mountain lodge is great if they have any space left. It was recommended to me and I loved staying with them. Lovely owners and great food.
snow report
@hang11, @Mike Pow, (with apologies to@horizon, for the thread drift) what would be the most traditional and hopefully not too busy place/area from Tokyo - Nozawa, Myomo, Hakuba? My little, well 6foot5, son will be doing his year abroad studies at Tokyo Institute of Technology from early Oct (2024) to early March (2025) and I was thinking of taking him ski when visiting in January or February. 4-6 days by train or possibly driving from Tokyo. Additional challenge - non-skiing missus so sightseeing options during the day would be nice.
snow report
horizon wrote:

- At this point, we're thinking Hakuba and Myoko Kogen, 4-5 days each (perhaps starting in Myoko Kogen

We did something very similar for our honeymoon (way back in 2013!).
Flew into Tokyo and took the bullet train for Myoko for 9 days.
Between the various resorts in the area (Seki Onsen, Suginohara, Myoko, Ikenotaira) there is plenty to keep you busy for a week in area.

I think we met 3 other groups speaking English all week.
Couple of Ozzies and some Swedes. It will be different now though.

horizon wrote:
And now some key practical questions:

horizon wrote:
- most importantly, do we get a guide? We'd prefer to do so...any suggestions? or one of those organised tours? (eg Powder Recon, if we find spaces)

We didnt bother with a guide. (However I have skied a lot off piste)
There is plenty accessible side-country that we didnt need to venture far to find endless powder.

horizon wrote:
- I'm aware that the resorts are small but that with great powder you can find lots of lines... nevertheless, if we want to also go backcountry, which are the areas where this is not allowed?

In Myoko off piste was 100% legit.
I think Hakuba is similar but not Nowza Onsen?

horizon wrote:
- for Honshu, I assume we'll take the fast train to Nagano, then I was thinking of renting a car so we stay flexible - any major issues with that? (I've read in another thread that I need to get an international licence, so I will)

The train to Nagano worked fine.
Local buses worked to get to the other resorts.
Not digging a car out in the morning was welcome.

horizon wrote:
- I assume we need to book accommodation asap?

horizon wrote:
- any particular recommendations re accommodation?

We stayed at Star Hotel in Myoko.
Bit old school but they made us suishi on the last night,
Tourist office might be able to help if there is nothing online?

horizon wrote:
- skis: she will have some DPS 112s, I'll have my Whitedot Ronde 110s (I also have some Countdown 114s but, although the Rondes are narrower, I think I prefer them). Wide enough?

I went with some 108mm K2 Sidestash. That was plenty.
If its not ski faster wink

horizon wrote:
- do we need to get ski passes in advance? I would prefer to pick the ski area on the spot, and I understand tickets are not that expensive

Not back then - might be different now!

horizon wrote:
- anything really important that I'm missing?

This is the best English language guide book I know.
Worth finding a copy.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Snow-Search-Japan-Keith-Stubbs/dp/0954801431?tag=amz07b-21

Take some time to see Tokyo, Snow Monkeys.
Just being in Japan itself is a cool experience.
Nagano is worth half a day too - some cool temples etc.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-04-24 20:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Some photos.
Best ski trip ever!

snow report
Nice one.
latest report
New question. What is the easiest Japan ski area for an almost beginner boarder and a beginner skier? Bottomless powder definitely not needed. Whole thing needs to be fairly low cost, including lessons. My grandson doing a gap year - working in Australia, usual sort of thing, and then some skiing in Japan around Christmas.
ski holidays
Here is an old TR from Myoko and Hakuba:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=151727

And Tanigawadake Tenjindaira
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=163369

It was my top pick when I went back this Jan for a weekend and still had a good time although the poor early snowfalls meant the valley wasn’t sufficiently filled in to ski the classic lines. Although I tried anyway with some plucky Coloradans…
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2JWlp6yqv3/?igsh=cTIxNmh3b2N2aXhl

I then went to Hokkaido for a week and it was epic. Planning a trip back there next Jan, touring focused. If you are an experienced skier my advice would be to rent a car, avoid Niseko, Furano etc, base yourself out of places like Otaru and Asahikawa and follow the snow. My 2 favourite places were:

Kiroro - https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2UMlXWoysN/?igsh=dzFlYWIzMGRydTQ=

And Asahidake - https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2pb7X9o_Fs/?igsh=MThvaDV4MHRnMTYyZw==

The obvious lines in the resorts get tracked out pretty fast by the local snowboarders but with touring gear you are spoiled for choice. Hokkaido Wilds is a fantastic resource for touring lines https://hokkaidowilds.org/ and a good guide can open up some secret spots. Ryan Taylor https://www.furanoadventuretours.com/your-guide took us into the middle of nowhere for one of the top 3 ski days of my life
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2pS2kPShc-/?igsh=MWsybjB1czQ3Ynh1Zg==

Japan is such a fantastic place to explore!
latest report
mooney058 wrote:
@hang11, @Mike Pow, (with apologies to@horizon, for the thread drift) what would be the most traditional and hopefully not too busy place/area from Tokyo - Nozawa, Myomo, Hakuba? My little, well 6foot5, son will be doing his year abroad studies at Tokyo Institute of Technology from early Oct (2024) to early March (2025) and I was thinking of taking him ski when visiting in January or February. 4-6 days by train or possibly driving from Tokyo. Additional challenge - non-skiing missus so sightseeing options during the day would be nice.

I've not been, but friends have.

Nozawa for all three of you.
latest report
@mooney058

TIT (now Tokyo Tech) has a skiclub - son might join it.

In fact my first ever skiing was with TIT club members. A bit back in time in the early 80s. Madeye-Smiley

Could only find a ski racing club now - but sure some other ski trips are made.
https://titski.jimdofree.com/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy