Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The FIS Ski WC 2023/24 Thread

Poster: A snowHead

Ladies and Gents, the bitter temperatures this morning was a reminder that winter is really on its way and Soelden is now 12 sleeps away! So it is that time of year when the FIS ski thread gets refreshed for the season ahead.
Welcome back to the 2023/24 installment of the white circus Very Happy

What a season last one was, world records broken and Mikaela Shiffrin showing no signs of slowing down! The rise of a new swiss legend, Marco Odermatt showing he is equally at home in the speed and tech disciplines! Also the worrying signs of the impact that global warming and climate change is having on the sport we all love and cherish.

Looking forward to the season ahead there will be an exciting new venue on the calendar - the season opener for the speed athletes on the "Gran Becca" the controversial Matterhorn Cervino Speed event, a new piste designed by retired swiss racer Didier Defago, that will see the athletes push out of the gates at 3850m at Gobba di Rollin above Zermatt descending to Laghi Cime Bianci above Cervinia for the finish

What else is happening this season:

For the men this year we lose the November stop in Lake Louise and the Kitzbuhel combined event. However, we get an extra downhill in Kitzbuhel and Chamonix. As for the Women the only change is the loss to the combined event in Cans Montana, in exchange an extra downhill will take place at the Swiss venue.

The season will wrap up in my personal favourite resort of Saalbach-Hinterglemm, the hosts of the 2025 Ski World Championships

Next Race Men
Quote:
Soelden, Austria

29 OCT - M - GS

rest of schedule at end of this post

Next Race Women
Quote:
Soelden, Austria

28 OCT - W - GS

rest of schedule at end of this post

Latest news

Quote:

Manuel Feller’s struggle with “World Championship aftermath”
https://skiracing.com/manuel-fellers-struggle-with-world-championship-aftermath/

Defending Champions

DisciplineAthleteM/F
OverallMarco OdermattM
DownhillAleksander Aamodt KildeM
Super GMarco Odermatt KildeM
Giant SlalomMarco OdermattM
SlalomLucas BraathenM
OverallMikaella ShiffrinF
DownhillSofia GoggiaF
Super GLara Gut-BehramiF
Giant SlalomMikaela ShiffrinF
SlalomMikaella ShiffrinF

Racers hanging up their boots
Quote:
Johan Clarey
Matthias Mayer
Travis Gangnon
Steven Nyman
Marie-Michele Gagnon
Tessa Worley

Where to Watch
Quote:
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

UK + Europe:
https://www.eurosportplayer.com/ - signup required £6.99 per month, with annual at £59.99 - this is now rolled into the disovery+ service offering! Please note you must select the Standard subscription (£6.99/month or £59.99/year) Eurosport is not included in the cheaper Basic subscription (£3.99/month or £39.99/year ). Also note that if you get your broadband from BT then it's included in the package.

Alternative is to sign-up to Eurosport through Amazon - you can only access through Amazon video to watch not through the Eurosport player - they have in the past run offers for £0.01 per month new subscriber promo - though currently also £6.99 a month

If you're in Europe the below broadcasters cover the races, otherwise a VPN will be needed for access - they are all free to view Cool
CH
https://www.srf.ch/play/tv

AT
https://tvthek.orf.at/live

DE
https://www.zdf.de/live-tv
https://live.daserste.de/

IT
https://www.raisport.rai.it/dirette.html

SE
https://www.svtplay.se/kanaler/svt1

SI
https://4d.rtvslo.si/zivo/

FI
https://areena.yle.fi/tv

Schedule

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-10-23 11:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@extremerob, thanks for kicking off yhis usually interesting & useful thread.

Is there any/enough snow for the opening events?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 16-10-23 11:46; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A new SL race for the men this year in November. Unfortunately I have to work that day so can't go and watch! Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@extremerob, just to point out that in the UK at least the Eurosport app coverage has been incorporated into the Discovery+ app (which as well as all the Eurosport sports coverage also includes many other general interest programmes). The Eurosport coverage is included in the Standard subscription (£6.99/month or £59.99/year) but note it's not included in the cheaper Basic subscription (£3.99/month or £39.99/year ). Also note that if you get your broadband from BT then it's included in the package.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ster wrote:
@extremerob, thanks for kicking off yhis usually interesting & useful thread.

Is there any/enough snow for the opening events?

The guns are blowing in Soelden and Rattenbach is looking white - haven't heard anything in terms of snow control.

As for Zermatt/Cerivnia what I have heard is that it is in much better conditions than last year - they have been running some training over there - we did not have the crazy heat like last summer - so this looks positive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@extremerob, just to point out that in the UK at least the Eurosport app coverage has been incorporated into the Discovery+ app (which as well as all the Eurosport sports coverage also includes many other general interest programmes). The Eurosport coverage is included in the Standard subscription (£6.99/month or £59.99/year) but note it's not included in the cheaper Basic subscription (£3.99/month or £39.99/year ). Also note that if you get your broadband from BT then it's included in the package.

thanks updated the first post to reflect this!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
extremerob wrote:
As for Zermatt/Cerivnia what I have heard is that it is in much better conditions than last year - they have been running some training over there - we did not have the crazy heat like last summer - so this looks positive.

Hopefully. We were in Zermatt for it last year when it got called off. Shouldn’t complain I guess as then it didn’t disrupt our skiing. But would be interesting to see it run.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
extremerob wrote:
The guns are blowing in Soelden and Rattenbach is looking white - haven't heard anything in terms of snow control.

Soelden needed snowmaking, it looked like this 10 days ago:

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
extremerob wrote:

Soelden needed snowmaking, it looked like this 10 days ago:

My understanding from my boss (via the local news) is that they're reporting all fine, that bare patch will be filled in by moving snow around and that everything is on track to go ahead.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
10 days later...
More natural precipitation expected later this week - hopefully FL will be lower than 2800

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Finger crossed Zermatt Cervinia will happen this year,
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow control have given Solden a greenlight Very Happy

One thing that has come to light in the past 24hrs, which I find extremely sad if this is glacier snow and not farmed snow, is that in order to prepare the race slope for the Zermatt/Cervinia speed event they are digging up the Theodul glacier!

Quote:

Text from POW: Switzerland

Heavy works are currently underway on the Theodul glacier in Zermatt to prepare for the Ski World Cup. Last year, the same competition was canceled due to a lack of snow. This year, the resources deployed to ensure that the event actually takes place are beyond the bounds of acceptability and common sense. The images of the shovels digging up the glacier to form the slope that will welcome the skiers are shocking. Such a spectacle is incomprehensible at a time when glacial melt is accelerating and glaciers have lost 10% of their volume in the last two years alone. To maintain their credibility, the FIS Alpine World Cup Tour and the tourist destinations that host such events must act as role models and show that they take the current challenges seriously!

https://www.facebook.com/ProtectOurWintersSwitzerland/posts/663314702566481

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@extremerob, agreed, that is not a good idea. Unless perhaps when the cold weather comes they make sufficient artificial snow to be put back on the glacier to replenish in full the amount previously removed! Although I doubt that is practical.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@extremerob, it looks like following press reports of the digging up of the Theodul glacier to get snow for the race the Zermatt authorities have (rightly imv) ordered a halt to that activity. https://www.newschoolers.com/news/read/World-Cup-Prep-Glacier-Destruction-Zermatt?fbclid=IwAR3qPLYG9EWjR6leHm4jCwozkKeQ8dQp1jkcUohTFypm-GM6q_BNW5O49Ys
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
October skiing and racing in the Northern Hemisphere is drawing to a close.

Global boiling has won.

October racing is all but over.
ski holidays
Eurosport are only showing the first run on both Saturday and Sunday.

Instead, top Northern Irish snooker.
latest report
@PrimroseAndBlue, discovery + ?
snow conditions
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:

But as I commented in this thread, the Discovery+ app is covering both runs live on both Saturday and Sunday.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
PrimroseAndBlue wrote:

But as I commented in this thread, the Discovery+ app is covering both runs live on both Saturday and Sunday.

Indeed, it's just annoying that they treat the sport with so little respect. Was it last year where they skipped a second run to show highlights of a motorbike race from two years previous?
snow conditions
Lucas Braathen announces his retirement from racing at age 23...... https://www.eurosport.com/alpine-skiing/solden/2023-2024/lucas-braathen-norwegian-world-cup-slalom-champion-announces-retirement-from-skiing-aged-23_sto9855135/story.shtml
snow conditions
At least we know what the main topic of conversation will be tomorrow Very Happy

I'm sure he will be back at some point.
latest report
Don't think anyone would have guessed that for the list of retirees this season! He'll be missed from the tour, exciting skier to watch.
snow conditions
@swskier, there's no doubt that competing at world class level in most sports requires a single minded determination to work through all the rigorous training and to face the challenges, both physically and mentally. Lucas has presumably decided that at the moment he isn't enjoying the World Cup race circuit so has decided to step back from it, all credit to him, at the end of the day it's his well being that is the most important thing. Wishing him all the best in the future.
snow report
Sad, but he's got to live his life as he wishes. Sometimes a break helps (and on that note, isn't Meta Hrovat back?)
snow report
I wonder what impact this will have on Atle Lie McGrath, the two of them are very close friends, training partners, from the same ski club, and happen to have birthdays two days apart!
snow conditions
Bro is sulking after losing.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, he talked about feeling free, and I can imagine how intense it must be to compete at that level. Perhaps he'll just be able to enjoy his skiing and maybe move towards freeriding or something of that ilk?
latest report
It would be hilarious if he did a Giradelli and re-emerged as the Brazilian ski team.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a shame that he is retiring. From what I read, he has accepted a personal sponsor that is not approved by the Norwegian ski federation and the two parties did not find a solution. Apparently the sponsor is Swedish Twisted Evil Twisted Evil naughty Lucas. I hope he will compete from Brazil, he is exciting to watch.
ski holidays
@Harrow lady, yes, according to Wikipedia Braathen is the son of a Norwegian father and a Brazilian mother. His middle name 'Pinheiro' is Portuguese for pine tree, paying tribute to his mother and his Brazilian heritage.

So if he fancies racing on his own terms away from the Norwegian team structure (as Bode Miller did after falling out with the US team organisers) then yes he could race for Brazil, although of course he'd have a much smaller support team for ski preparation etc.
snow report
Last Sunday I shared a t-bar up at Hintertux with Sarah Bennett from the Canadian ladies team. She's on a come back from an in injury last January and running bib 53 today. So she's the one i'll be hoping makes the 2nd run for the first time.

I was actually in the queue with all 4 of the Canadian ladies team, and they were all very friendly.
snow report
I see that during Sofia Goggia's first attempt on the course she had to abandon due to a course worker being in the way. She was eventually allowed to do a rerun later on in the 1st run, not sure if she made the first 30 cut to be in the 2nd run? Edit:she did make the cut and ended up in 16th position at the end of the 2nd run.

https://www.eurosport.com/alpine-skiing/solden/2023-2024/that-is-a-nightmare-sofia-goggia-s-run-ruined-by-technician-still-on-course-in-giant-slalom-at-solden_vid2017387/video.shtml

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 28-10-23 17:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I think she did though I lost track a bit at the end. Always some chaos with Goggia! Really hope she's on top form this season, so exciting when she's fired up.

Italians looking super strong in general!
latest report
2nd run live coverage starting on Discovery+ now.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, does it have commentary? Watching on Eurosport - legacy customer! - and it is ambient...
ski holidays
@ElzP, yes, the usual English commentary team. ( Nick Fellows and Finlay Mickel)
latest report
Ah ha! Thanks!

Probably being very slow on the uptake but we've just switched to the website rather than the old player and have commentary.

Edited to correct/add - also tried still on the app but using an android box rather than through the tv, then had to change from ambient to English commentary. In case that is useful to anyone else watching on the eurosport...
snow report
Incidentally I was wondering about how they are now able to display continuous (well updated every second by the looks of it) time graphics on the screen that shows how far ahead or behind they are from the current leader (in between the official split time measurements) but the commentator said the racers' ski boots now contain a chip from Longines (that presumably communicates by radio the racer's position and/or velocity?) Cool
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Incidentally I was wondering about how they are now able to display continuous (well updated every second by the looks of it) time graphics on the screen that shows how far ahead or behind they are from the current leader (in between the official split time measurements) but the commentator said the racers' ski boots now contain a chip from Longines (that presumably communicates by radio the racer's position and/or velocity?) Cool

Think it was possibly the world champs in Courchevel where they first used that technology. Makes it interesting to see how they're faring vs the leaders.
snow report
Norway’s Mowinckel becomes first skier to be disqualified under new rule banning fluorinated wax

Norway’s Ragnhild Mowinckel left the finish area of the season-opening women’s World Cup race in tears Saturday after becoming the first skier to be disqualified for a forbidden type of wax on her skis. Mowinckel, a two-time Olympic silver medalist from the 2018 Pyeongchang Games, had finished the first leg in sixth place before her skis failed the mandatory post-run test by FIS officials, who took her out of the competition.

A rule in effect this season forbids the use of fluorinated wax in the pre-race preparation of skis. FIS banned the substance from its competitions after years of debate about the potential harm fluorinated wax can cause to health and the environment.

“We must find out what happened. We are not trying to cheat, because that is the worst thing for me,” Mowinckel told Norwegian broadcaster TV 2.

The decision left Mowinckel’s equipment supplier Head in disbelief.

“The worst case has happened. We have absolutely no explanation,” Head race director Rainer Salzgeber said.

Mowinckel’s ski technician had her skis “with the exact same preparation” tested by FIS officials two days ago, according to Salzgeber, adding that “everything was green. Now it is dark red.”

Fluorinated wax has been used by ski technicians for decades, not only in Alpine but also in cross-country skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy