Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2023/24 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
At least people always seem to have a good time in Saalbach. Imagine being stuck in one of those purpose-built ski stations with bad conditions and crowds of people!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Was asked about the weather somewhere else thought I would pop it on here, the left shows village and 2000 meters, the right 2000m

I use the paid version of Bergfex

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@radar, seems to be suggesting rain?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Kramer, rain at village level. The forecast breakdown for tomorrow on Bergfex is

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@sbooker, On bus on way to airport. Found it hard going at times, at various bits, other bits skiing was great, when I say bits i mean bits of same piste. Can be good, then heavy moguly, then good again. Sometimes it just felt like survival mode! We were in Saalbach same week last February and end of March and the conditions this week were similar more to the March week. A little bit better but not like the Feb conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Kramer, yes some rain , but also possible snow, though when you look out the window it could be totally different, temperature is of more interest.

Here’s the village level for the next few days

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So getting the public bus to airport. Got the 10.30sm from Saalbach, due to reach airport at 12.30, and we are still on bus now (13.56) Think about another 10 mins. Some I think have already missed their flights. We are ok as not till 4.25pm.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Gilly28, glad you allowed plenty of time (and had booked a late flight).
I suppose the train might be a better option when the roads are clogged on a busy Saturday in high season.
My half term guests arrived just after 11.00am, looking fresh as daisies, after driving down from Lincolnshire and staying overnight somewhere in southern Germany.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In the last half dozen years, we’ve seen all kinds of conditions in February, ranging from blizzards and deep snow drifts to balmy Mediterranean weather - and sometimes the perfect happy medium. It will be interesting to see what March brings.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@tatmanstours, I think we are going to look at the drive, we enjoy the drive to Montchavin at easter.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I’ve just been out for dinner with some friends who own an apartment in Saalbach and arrived last night. Twice this season they’ve flown to Memmingen and found the train journey from there (to Zell am See) painless, inexpensive and surprisingly luxurious.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just picked this up from In the Snow,

Mike Tindall Invites Participants For His Ski Charity Challenge, Saalbach 5 to 9 March

https://www.inthesnow.com/mike-tindall-invites-participants-for-his-ski-charity-challenge/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Out in Saalbach at the beginning of March but now with one eye on winter 2025 as we have the opportunity to take several months off work and it is too good an opportunity to turn down!

One eye now on firmly some time in the mountains and Saalbach would be on a short list of contenders (this is our fourth visit and we really like it). I've never looked but I presume there is a tourist office somewhere in the town centre I could go into and ask about when they would be able to discuss season/longer term rentals for 2025.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TomBH, there is a tourist office, slightly out of the main centre, it's on the main road , if your coming into Saalbach it's just passed the BP petrol station, very nice people , check opening hours, they close for lunch.

https://www.saalbach.com/en
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@radar, thanks very much, I know where you mean.

Will pop in one day.
ski holidays
@TomBH, I could DM you the details of the person who manages the rental of our apartment, let me know if you are interested. or just click on the apartment link in my signature rolling eyes
ski holidays
@radar, will take a look at the link. Thank you.

Next (first) steps are working out a budget, where we are going (I've not really got past the mountains yet!) and how long we can be away as in theory can be as long as 12 months.
snow report
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with deciding between two hotels in Saalbach for a trip 2nd week of March, one is the Konig and the other is Hotel Pension Schattberg. They are similar prices but the Konig is half board for only a tiny bit more. Just wondering which is the better location and if, as they claim, you can ski back to to them at the end of day. The Schattberg looks slightly nicer but the Konig is more central. Thanks!
snow report
@surferrosa, if the Schattberg is the one I’m thinking of (just checked the map on its website, and it is), it’s located up on the lower slopes of the Schattberg mountain, in an elevated location overlooking the village.
You can certainly ski back to it from the Schattberg Nord black run.
Obviously its primary disadvantage is that you have to walk up a fairly steep hill to get to it, if you’re returning from a visit to the village.
There are a few other places up there that share the same disadvantage.
On the other hand, the Hotel König (which I look down on from my living room window) is reckoned to be in a reasonably good location (not ideal, but reasonable). In normal conditions you can ski down to it from Schiliftstrasse, down the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope.
Schiliftstrasse (which I live on) is where you end up when you ski down any of the three pistes (two blue and one red) that lead down the south-facing slopes of the Kohlmais mountain (which is where most of Saalbach’s skiing is located).
Again, in normal conditions, there is a rope tow that can be used to bring you up the Kreuzkapelle nursery slope, from the back door of the Hotel König to Schiliftstrasse. It’s therefore pretty well ski-in ski-out. Once you’re at the top of the rope tow, you pole or walk across the top of the nursery slope to the road, and the Kohlmaisbahn lift station is then no more than 50 yards along the road.
snow report
@tatmanstours, Thank you, sounds like the Konig is better located, which is good as it's the cheaper HB option! Another question, what is the best transfer company to use from Salzburg airport? I've had one quote for 280 euro which seems quite high for shared transfers for 2. But maybe that's the going rate?
latest report
@surferrosa,
How to get to Saalbach from Salzburg Airport,

Public bus (260) from Salzburg airport, the cheapest way to get to Saalbach, the fare is currently Euro 15.90 each way, change at Maishofen Abzw Glemmtal (680) a couple of minutes walk between bust stops, mention to the driver you are connecting to Saalbach. The public bus frequency has increased this winter to five connections on Saturday, to check the times https://salzburg-verkehr.at/en/, You can go via Zell Am See, the last 260 leaves at 18.42 (double check to be sure) arrives Zell station at 20.38 then you can take a taxi to Saalbach (€60) You can buy bus or train tickets through the Salzburg Verkehr app, it also has the live ski bus times, handy for when you are in resort, it’s been a great discovery.

Austrian Transfer run a shuttle bus service https://www.austriatransfer.com/en it is 70 euro each way, however if you are a solo traveller it is 120 euro! if there are three or more then a private shuttle is more cost effective.

Andy Rose of Snow Camps Europe is offering a shuttle type service. €60 each way
https://www.snowcampseu.com/airport-transfers/

Private transfers, companies based in Saalbach Taxi Rainer https://www.taxirainer.at/en/, Taxi6620 https://www.taxi6620.at/en/ , Taxi Pinzgau https://taxi-pinzgau.com .
snow conditions
@surferrosa, it's around €200 ish for a private transfer each way, February maybe higher, Austriantransfer will give you an online quote for the shuttle and a private transfer
ski holidays
Hello everyone!

We've tentatively booked a place in Zell Am See for a week, 17March - 24March. From the brief research I've done the Saalbach/Zell/Kaprun area seems to tick the boxes for what we're after. We're typical piste skiers, looking for a large area and a sense of travel/views. I understand that Zell/Kaprun is a bit smaller but as the pass covers Saalbach I think it should provide enough excitement for the week?

We've hired a car and enjoying driving to new area's. I'm hoping this should be simple enough from Zell and access to Saalbach (and beyond) and Kaprun should be fairly straight forward. Accommodation in Zell isn't by the lift so would need parking options here as well as the other area's we'd be driving too. I couldn't tell if this was easily available?

I noticed there's actually a link between Zell and Saalbach but the descent to Vielhofen (run 168) is closed, is that the norm?

Lastly, by chance, I noticed there's the World Cup finals taking place in that week! Never been to anything like that, would that be something recommended? I presume the official spectating options are all at the finishing line? They're listed as Tribünenstehplatz, Seitentribünenstehplatz, Stehplatz (Grandstand/Page Stands/Standing Room). They all sound fairly similar, anyone know the difference? Probably silly question, but can you not just spectate from nearby slopes? Would those lifts still be open around the area? The "training days" on 20/21 actually look more appealing to me, checking out what they do behind the scenes, is it possible to get up close on those days?

Thanks so much in advance for any help! Very Happy
latest report
surferrosa wrote:
@tatmanstours, Thank you, sounds like the Konig is better located, which is good as it's the cheaper HB option!

FWIW, I stayed at the Konig (albeit 11 years ago), and thought it was very good and friendly. There is/was a pleasant, though small bar, rooms were fine/decent size and the food was excellent. Certainly, given enough snow, it was easy to ski back to and ski out, using the tow rope as tatmanstours mentioned. Also, it was only a 5 minute level walk into Saalbach centre. I’d happily stay there again…though it’s unlikely Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
@surferrosa, my 2 friends stopped in Konig last January and have stopped in Hotel Pension Schattberg before, about 4/5 years ago, they say Konig wins easily, other friends have stopped in Konig and recommend.

Re transfer I assume your shared transfer quote at €280 is a return for 2?

In January this year for my return to Salzburg I used snowcamps that @radar referenced, all worked out very well at €60 for 1 person, it ended up I was on an Inghams transfer coach.
snow report
viciousvulture wrote:
Hello everyone!

We've tentatively booked a place in Zell Am See for a week, 17March - 24March. From the brief research I've done the Saalbach/Zell/Kaprun area seems to tick the boxes for what we're after. We're typical piste skiers, looking for a large area and a sense of travel/views. I understand that Zell/Kaprun is a bit smaller but as the pass covers Saalbach I think it should provide enough excitement for the week?

We've hired a car and enjoying driving to new area's. I'm hoping this should be simple enough from Zell and access to Saalbach (and beyond) and Kaprun should be fairly straight forward. Accommodation in Zell isn't by the lift so would need parking options here as well as the other area's we'd be driving too. I couldn't tell if this was easily available?

I noticed there's actually a link between Zell and Saalbach but the descent to Vielhofen (run 168) is closed, is that the norm?

Lastly, by chance, I noticed there's the World Cup finals taking place in that week! Never been to anything like that, would that be something recommended? I presume the official spectating options are all at the finishing line? They're listed as Tribünenstehplatz, Seitentribünenstehplatz, Stehplatz (Grandstand/Page Stands/Standing Room). They all sound fairly similar, anyone know the difference? Probably silly question, but can you not just spectate from nearby slopes? Would those lifts still be open around the area? The "training days" on 20/21 actually look more appealing to me, checking out what they do behind the scenes, is it possible to get up close on those days?

Thanks so much in advance for any help! Very Happy

Depending on where your accomodation is, it may be best to park at Schmittenhohebarn or Areitbahn, rather than City Express lift (although there is some non- skiing specific parking in the centre of Zell)
run 168 closes if snow isnt great (no cannons) but frequent free bus runs between Veihofen and Schönleitenbahn lift to complete the link both ways.

Schönleitenbahn also a parking option if you dont want to ski from Zell to Saalbach side of things.

For Kaprun glacier, if you have a car I'd drive all the way up the valley to Kitzsteinhorn, rather than accessing via Maiskogel/Kaprun Village

re world cup the Zwölferkogel pistes its held on are relatively self contained and I assume will be closed off except for the ticketed spectating and you wont be able to ski there (locals like tatman may know better,) but its up one end of Hinterglemm, so wont impinge on the rest of the ski circus.
ski holidays
@viciousvulture, I'll add to @t44tomo, response, parking in Saalbach can get busy the largest car park is at the Schönleitenbahn, there is parking at the Schattberg Xpress and Kholmains but these get even busier, for the ones in town aim to be there before 9.15. There is also limited parking by the 12erKogel in Hinterglemm and further up the valley at the Hochalm lift

I can't comment on skiing in Zell has I haven't made it over there yet, you can't ski from Zell to Saalbach you need to take the ZellamseeXpress down (or from Mid Station) and then take the bus from Viehofen to the Schönleitenbahn, where you can get on the gondola up or catch the Saalbach ski bus up the valley.

Run 168 is seldom open it hasn't been at all this season and unless there is a significant dump and a reduction in temperature it won't be , there aren't any snow cannon.

World cup, you can watch from the run next to the course which is 37 , blink and you will miss them Very Happy ( we watched the mens Slalom a couple of years ago from there) or you can get seats in the grandstand which will be right by the 12erKogel lift station , https://www.saalbach.com/en/events/audi-fis-ski-world-cup-finals-2024_e_369334
snow report
@viciousvulture, me and my other half are also there for the races and have standing room (regular) tickets I think - 16th and 17th and 22nd.

From going to the races in Kitz, the slalom and GS are super for spectators. We'll be at the on the super g on the 22nd, if you fancy a beer let us know! snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@t44tomo, @radar, thanks for the responses!

We’ll be based close to the Areitbahn so this will work well for us, as there seems a sizeable car park there.
But I reckon we’ll be spending most of the days in Saalbach so fingers crossed that works out for us.

@ElzP, we’re also thinking of super g day! We’ll give you a shout Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Bit late guys but felt duty-bound to give a bit of a report of my week in the Ski Circus. We stayed in Hinterglemm.

My 16-year-old and I used the local bus option that to get to and from SZG airport. Thanks to @radar for all the help with that.It was a bit chaotic to be honest, but cheap at around €30 for the two of us each way. The stop is right outside the airport but it gets very busy. So much so in fact that not everyone was able to get on the bus (bus 260 @12:53). Getting the bags on was a free-for-all. The bus was late arriving and also traffic meant it was an hour late at Maishoffen for the connecting 680 bus. That was rammed too but we got on. Just! We arrived in Hinterglemm about 16:00. Not too bad really.

On the way back we got the 680 @06:11 from Hinterglemm to connect at to the 260 @06:53. The 260 was about 10 mins late, I presume due to passengers getting on with bags at Zell. Again, the 260 was busy, even at that time, about 80% full. We struggled to get our bags in the locker, but this was largely due to the bags being poorly packed at Zell. Nevertheless, we got on. It wasn’t ideal having to re-arrange bags as we did though. On direction of the driver, we used the LH lockers which are open to the very busy road. After a time the driver came to help but otherwise you’re on your own. The buses run every two hours on a Sat. I can’t help feeling that they could run an hourly service with the amount of people using it as they do in the week. Would I use the bus again? Maybe, it is very good value, but I have to say, it was very chaotic and added a degree of stress. Not so much going as we had several later options. But coming back we only really had that first one. It got is in to SZG with plenty of time but the next one would have been too late. I guess you pays your money and takes you choice!

We stayed in Hotel Wolfgang. Really can’t fault that place at all. Pretty basic I guess, but for the money it was superb. Very attentive host with a great breakfast and right next door to the Bergfriedlift A10 which gave easy access to slops and return if needed. Piste 12 next to Bergfriedlift can be accessed from the floodlit night piste 10 which is open Mon, Wed and Fri. If you stay late on that slope on those nights you can use the lift A9 up then ski back, it’s dark and the piste “closed” but it’s not that high at all so pretty safe if you take your time.

I’ve stayed in Hinterglemm before, 2010 being the last time. It’s smaller than Saalbach, and I noted that the nightlife has quietened down since my last visit. There are no late-night bars and little Apres in the town. Still, it’s nice enough. There have been lots of improvements meaning the slopes link up better than before. Plenty of decent places to eat, although no snack bars. You can get a cheap pizza to take away from a few places. Some vibrant Apres at the Goatstall and a new place to me which is the place at the bottom of the floodlit piste 10. That used to be a small round bar and nothing else, mind you, that lift was a small T-Bar in 2010 also! Wallagalm away at the western end on piste 50 also do a bit of Apres but you have to hoof it to last lifts at 16:15 then ski to Goatstall, or down to the bus. Never made it to the Hexenhausl this time but previously that was good for Apres.

It was very warm for Feb as we know. Generally, the snow conditions were pretty poor. I don’t say this to moan; weather was what it was. But it did make the skiing hard going at times and it took a little bit of the shine of the trip. Some runs were simply torture to be honest. Notable one for me was piste 125 which links to Frieberunn. I’m sure on a normal early Feb day it would be lovely. As it was, at around midday, it was sloppy, lose and very wet snow. Big slushy moguls from top to bottom. Now, I don’t mind moguls per se, but only when they are as they usually are, firm! We enjoyed the blacks though as the snow was generally pretty good. They’re not that steep tbh. 7a was a cracker, and 1a. We did them both early on when they were bullet hard. 1b was a bit softer. 36 was also great on all occasions.

Personally, I found the slopes over Leogang favouring best. Even down to resort level they were not too bad. All other runs below mid-station after about 11am were too soft. Runs down at the end of the day, well, an experience let’s just say that!

Met up with another snowhead, @Gilly28 which was really cool. We enjoyed some Apres as you do! Was hoping to meet @tatmanstours but unfortunately he came down with a bug so that didn’t happen.

My lad loved Austria; it was his first time. He’s never seen Apres like that before. It was great to enjoy that with him. I’m a single dad and we’ve been skiing together since he was 7. Mostly France (we have done Scotland and a week in Andorra also) so it was great for him to see another country and how they do it, as he’s getting older to appreciate it etc. I also pointed out to him that, unlike France, it was nice to not only have toilets on the slopes, but also how they did not have the seats ripped off, not covered in graffiti. It was also nice to find that there was no stink of weed everywhere!

In summary, a great week and no complaints. Snow mentioned, but hey hoo, same for all! Big thanks you all that have contributed on this thread, particularly @tatmanstours and @radar. Perhaps the best and most helpful thread on the forum.

Cheers all! Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Thu 15-02-24 16:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Boofont, glad it all worked out, next time you come the Walleggalm run their own bus service from there to Hinterglem Very Happy
snow report
@viciousvulture, Re the World Cup training and races.

It's possible to view these by standing/skiing on the parallel pistes - i.e. on the safe side of the safety netting - for much of the course. This includes being able to watch the racers set off at the top of Zwolferkogel.

Apart from the upper sections of the course (pistes 35 & 36 above the mid-station) which are closed to the public, the course only takes up half of the piste or runs parallel to an open piste. E.g. below mid-station, the course is piste 36A but pistes 37 and 37A run right next to it and are open for skiers - and also provide vantage points for spectating. There is usually a big TV screen with live commentary just above the mid-station. The stadium at the finishing line is at the bottom of the piste behind the lift station, and is a horseshoe of temporary grandstands and media boxes. Tickets for the various areas are available - but you can stand 100m up the piste and see the finish line.
snow conditions
Not long now till our return to saalbach if it wasnt for a leap year would only be 14 sleeps before setting off , however this year we are meeting a couple of pals in westendorf for 3-4 days before splitting up and despite my best efforts couldnt convince them to move on to saalbach ( their loss ) with us .Seems the pisteurs have made the best of a poor show snow wise this year from looking at the reports and webcams but having been to saalbach this last 10-12 years in march thats the norm .i.e pisteurs efforts
We will be travelling by car and normally its a 10 -11hr drive from rotterdam hull ferry 2 drivers and not travelling on a saturday which discounting the overnight ferry is similar if not less travel time than flying to staying pre flight in an airport hotel gives us the option of extending or curtailing our trip.
We are past retiring age and love saalbach as you can set off each day in a different direction and return without hardly having to cross your tracks though we do like to finish our day on the kohlmais side to enjoy the fun in the places on the way home ,bergeralm,panorama alm thurnerhof, maisalm hinterhag etc which ever suits on the day and down to burgis or evaalm to finish . Skiing wise which despite our advancing years is still pretty much a full day most days it has to be said leogang area is our favorite closely followed by a trip round the circuit via hinterglem either way though doesnt look like the run down to viehofen will have a chance of being open but live in hope , not that keen on fieberbrun but not say we wont go , ah well shouldnt at my age wish time away but roll on march
latest report
Arghhh, going round in circles trying to choose where to go for a trip w/c 9th March. Put together a decent DIY deal to Saalbach but we are trying to keep this to a budget trip (as it will be our third this season, yikes!). Hotel is the Konig half board so was just wondering current average costs on the mountain, for beers, gulasch soup etc.
ski holidays
@surferrosa, this years Goulash soup index, prices in brackets are last years
Gulasch soup
Maisalm (8.90) 9.90
Atzitz brau and Alte Schmide (8.50) 9.00
Chicken man (8.50)
Breitfussalm (11.90) 12.50
Sonnhof (8.90) 9.30, self service (7.50)
Walleggalm (8.50)
Westgipfle Hutte (8.50)
Bergstadl (6.50) self service and full service
Winkler Alm (6.40) 7.60
Wildenkarhutte 9.10
Stockl alm large 8.20 .5l small .3l 6.20
Bergeralm 9.50
Hochhorndler 7.90
Kralleralm 7.50
Rachkuchl (8.50) 8.10
Thurneralm 8.80
Luis Alm 9.90
Ederalm 8.40
snow report
@surferrosa, can’t speak for soup, but about €5 -6 a beer. If you want a cheaper hotel and can roll with Hinterglemm I recommend this place where I stayed. It’s breakfast only although they do have a small bar where you can grab a beer, and you can get a meal, pizza and a few Austrian dishes. Location is superb being right next to the Bergfriedlift. The bus runs between Saalbach once an hour after 5, or taxi at €20.

https://www.hotel-wolfgang.at/en/
ski holidays
@ski for fun, hope you have a good trip. Enjoyed reading your post. Thank you.

How much is the ferry from Hull please?
latest report
@Boofont, unfortunately hotel Wolfgang is fully booked four our dates, which is a shame as it looks perfect!
latest report
@radar, great that’s good to know, sounds pretty good value!
latest report
Boofont wrote:
@ski for fun, hope you have a good trip. Enjoyed reading your post. Thank you.

How much is the ferry from Hull please?

All depends on when you book and which day , look on po ferries hull rotterdam . We booked last autumn on an offer but a quick look shows 2people 1 car 1 inside cabin just over £210 each way atm for march plus food. We usually go for an outside cabin and book evening meal though take drinks and snacks for breakfast as I dont like to drive hard on a full stomach .Reckon thats less than we could get a flight for inc baggage skis airport parking etc. Saalbach is about 640 miles if doing it in one usually about 11 hours ( booking first off the ship can save over an hour )so arriving in resort between 7and8 pm though nowadays we try to avoid the drive on a saturday and overnight en route past munich, kufstein works for us or near seigsdorf just book the overnight when had enough driving or traffic so we arrive in saalbach mid morning before the main traffic and gain an afternoon skiing or the free pass from 3pm to get the legs going .
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy