Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The transition from traditional ( 20th century ) to modern ski techniques

Poster: A snowHead
nooner wrote:
Also why are some ski schools teaching old fashioned techniques?

I think it is indivdual instructors who will stick with what they know, rather than the policy of a whole ski school. I've found that a way to ensure you get a more modern approach is to either go with a named instructor that you know (through personal recommendation) will have the approach you are looking for, or to go with a smaller ski school that has a good reputation for high quality instruction. Going to a large ski school and signing up for a ski class can be a bit hit or miss, in my experience.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Going to a large ski school and signing up for a ski class can be a bit hit or miss, in my experience.

Which is why I would suggest booking a private lesson with specific goals/targets agreed upfront. The ski school then has no excuses.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Big G wrote:
Which is why I would suggest booking a private lesson with specific goals/targets agreed upfront. The ski school then has no excuses.

That's right, but even if you do agree these goals up front, what happens if you still end up with an instructor who you're not happy with? This happened recently to my brother-in-law and his only recourse was a refund, which meant that he didn't get the instruction that he was hoping for that week. I think a personal recommendation, from other snowHeads for example, is difficult to beat when booking lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar.org.uk, Agreed, personal recommendations are the way to go, however without this information all you can do is try to maximise your chances of getting what you want, and having agreed things upfront if you don't get it then you should get some compensation. Granted if you are booked in for a whole week of lessons there is little lee way to compensate you for the week, however if half way through you see little sign of being taught what you expect then speak to the instructor/ ski school and clarify things.
As I said earlier, communication is everything. Remember, you are the customer, and are paying for a service. You are well within your rights to expect to get what you asked for and if you don't feel that you are getting it, I find that speaking to the people involved politely & calmly usually gets results. Waiting to the end of the week and then having a rant isn't going to get you your weeks skiing back, and will only wind up the instructor & ski school.
I wish everybody that is looking to take lessons the best of luck and hope you all get the instruction you are expecting. If we are going on personal recommendations then if anyone is in Sauze d'Oulx and wants to learn the "modern style" and carving then get yourselves down to the 'Sauze Project' offices (they are underneath the Hotel Assietta and are the guys wearing the black & yellow ski suits) and book with a guy called Luca. He's first class!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Big G, agree with that, particularly if you don't have a named instructor you want to ski with.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, steve and i are very good friends. i was his staff trainer at a small resort above boulder where he was employed for a brief period of time. i guess what "got to me" was use of the words "know" and "many".

at the resort where i work we have a variety of controls/programs/audits in place to make sure that instructors are teaching "the right stuff". every instructor is audited three times per annum by a member of the training staff. in addition, supervisors are out on the mountain observing lessons on a daily basis.

so........from my perspective the problem is not as pervasive as it is being portrayed.

i also have come to the conclusion that ideas and or methodologies often get a little, shall we say confused, in the minds of students. what an instructor has in fact said/demonstrated/explained gets tossed into the mix of decades old advice from ski magazines, friends, anecdotes and lord knows what that turns into in terms of understanding among students.

a simple example. i worked with an upper intermediate skier two days ago. all day i tried to get the guy centered/balanced in terms of fore aft balance. one issue was that he was hammering the tongues of his boots, levering the forebody of his skiis. certainly a vestigial movement from the era of "bend ze knees". he needed to create less flexion in his hips, knees, ankles.

his understanding from decades of skiing resulted in a stance issue.

i tried to get the guy to make a few changes to his stance.

at the days end he said to me, "my shins really hurt from you telling me to lean forward". i had never used the word LEAN and i had studiously avoided telling him to get FORWARD. i was flabergasted. i had no idea what i said to cause this miscommunication.

could this have resulted in him telling his next teacher that my instruction was to lean and/or "get forward"? can't speak for the rest of the skiing world, however, these terms from the past are often looked upon as being dated. at WP we try to provide "body specific" exercises and concepts to structurally "stack" a students skeletal structure over modern skiis.

i took the blame with the student and said to the student that something i said or did created a little confusion.

gotta go teach. maybe i'll go confuse another poor soul today.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Rusty Guy, It seems to me that in the States you do regulate (if that's the right word) your instructors more. The ESF for instance here, have a super revalidation training programme that all ESF instructors have to go on - I was watching them early this season here. they were from all over France (all in red, natch) and were really being put through their paces and being shown the latest methodology. Unfortunately a number of them go home and continue with the old stuff.

Yes the stacking as you put it of the skeleton is sooooo important. I express it a different way, but after all that's what we've got one for - to hold us up! Otherwise we'd all be like Odo in DS9 and sleep in buckets!!! (Sad Trekkie me!) I agree also that the word lean is a difficult one, and here on the continent people have been told for years to "lean forrrword", which generally results in a sort of bowing motion! I personally just to try to find the expression that works for each student, as I'm sure you do. Equally, I'm sure we're all misunderstood perhaps more often than we'd like to think!

Dont know about the States, but pole planting here is not very important until a decent basic carving turn is accomplished and we're looking at moguls, short radius, off piste etc. It seems to me it creates lote more problems than it solves! Confused Confused

Had you thought of "snuggling" your shins into the tongues of the boots?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Dont know about the States, but pole planting here is not very important until a decent basic carving turn is accomplished and we're looking at moguls, short radius, off piste etc. It seems to me it creates lote more problems than it solves! Confused Confused

i agree wholeheartedly. in fact i have taken the word "plant" out of my vernacular and use the word touch or kiss.

i also have begun to talk to folks about flipping the paradigm and considering a pole plant as punctuating the end of a well made turn as opposed to initiating. sounds like oh so much wordsmithing, however, i'll simply say for some it is brilliant.

for the student who has a hard edge set in bumps or gets folded up at the end of a turn, suggesting they only touch their pole IF they remain well stacked or nice and tall works well. the student seaking turn shape or turn completion, a touch only IF their skis are oriented well uphill, etc.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 17-02-06 14:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rusty Guy, I'm sorry that I touched off that response. I undoubtedly miscommunicated, and I'm sorry.

What I should say is that there are high-level instructors who have chosen not to adopt newer technique and/or approaches to teaching and I have been a witness to some of that. Some of those people both Rusty and I know. However, as Rusty notes, there are many excellent instructors, as well, and a number of US resorts (including Winter Park where Rusty is teaching) are focusing on this to a very great degree to ensure consistently excellent results.

However, I would suggest that the best possible path to an excellent instructional experience is a recommendation from someone who has experienced that excellence first-hand.

For the record, all reports of Rusty's teaching reflect just that! Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd take a referral everytime and would be wary of schools and their 'results'...!! You only have to look at the way the ESF ski - and they ski like a deam IMV, that doesn't make them all great teachers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice thread this. I for one always had it in mind that I should ski with shoulders facing down the mountain. This was just one of several faults pointed out to me by Rusty Guy when myself and the missus had a day's lesson with him back on 22nd (or was it 23rd?) January. If anyone is looking for an instructor in Winter Park, I cannot recommend Rusty highly enough. I had a private lesson in Val Thorens (ESF) last year. I told the instructor I wanted to learn excercises/pointers to get me carving. I was then told several time throughout the lesson that I was wasting my time as I would only ever learn to carve if I "spent a season with a coach" or some such rubbish. I said pretty much the same thing to Rusty (that I wanted to work towards carving) and in an hour was making (pretty much) carved turns. Obviously with no great style though! One thing that really did it for me was initiating my turns with the inside ski, rather than the outside as I was originally taught. I started tipping the inside ski (using my feet rather than legs), the outside follows with no prompting and away you go. Once I stopped "countering" (pointing shouders down the mountain) I improved even more. I have skied 10 weeks now, all in the last 3 years and am very surprised that I was not taught this from day one. Thank you Rusty and sorry we didn't get to ski together again during that week (we were supposed to meet you and that Marker guy on the Friday morning - we were at the Zephyr lift on time but we may have missed you in the large queue; would have held you back anyway!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
conor wrote:
I had a private lesson in Val Thorens (ESF) last year. I told the instructor I wanted to learn excercises/pointers to get me carving. I was then told several time throughout the lesson that I was wasting my time as I would only ever learn to carve if I "spent a season with a coach" or some such rubbish.

Shocked It's amazing what rubbish some instructors come out with. Thank God for the good ones, who can help us progress!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
conor, sorry i missed you guys on the last day. we went out for training at 0800 and i nearly froze. i needed to run inside prior to working for a little warming.

thanks for the kind words. as i read what you said a couple of thoughts came to mind. in the greater scheme of things you and zoe came to WP as very good skiers. my point is simply that you have gotten good instruction in the past otherwise you would not have become as good as you are. another point to consider is that often things "click" for a student only at the appropriate time.

"counter" is something that a great many ski instructors feel is vestigial. to a degree, it's merely "wordsmithing", however, the current term we use is upper/lower body seperation. as we discussed or experimented there are simply times such as in bumps when a little torque is created by allowing the legs/skis to turn more than the shoulders as a turn evolves.

"counter" is short for counter rotation and that was certainly something that hindered carving for you. once you got a tad more square your legs were more active and this facilitated the movements the led to great carved turns. i think the worst case scenario for overly countered skiers is their outside/downhill leg becomes locked. as i described to you appropriate seperation is kind of like salt in a soup. a little often does far better than too much. in reality what is just right for my tastes may not appeal to others.

you two were great students and wonderful guests. i hope you will plan on returning soon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Stopping countering" is not the most accurate way of putting it, and Rusty Guy, I am glad you clarified matters in your post.
There is a popular misconception that "a countered position" (inside shoulder slightly ahead of the outside shoulder) is no longer used by the world's top skiers. That is perhaps the case in slalom, where the shoulders remain more square. But as the photos in these links show, "countering" of the shoulders is still being used in higher-speed turns - just perhaps to a lesser extent than in previous decades.
http://www.bnr.nl/blobs/anp/18379.jpg
http://www.planet.nl/upload_mm/4/9/2/img-211205-148.onlineBild.jpg
http://www.zol.ch/smisoft20/ops/opsbilder/S.Nyberg.jpg
http://www.etnasci.it/images/SkiWorldCup_Foto/BeAVERcREEK/BodeMiller_SG.jpg
snow report
Martin Bell, I agree absolutely, because if people become too square to the skis then they lose edge grip andgenerate a skid in their turn. I wonder, however, how much of the "Extreme" Austrian position that we all remember was really because they didn't actually expect the student to do it, and therefore exaggerated the movement (as we all still tend to do in demos)? One interesting thing I always remember from training with Heini Messner is that he insists that the traverse position is the basis for everything we do in skiing. Lately, I've been horrified at how many students I've had who don't have a clue how to traverse or use their edges - just haven't been taught! Shock
snow conditions
Rusty Guy, Martin Bell, easiski, maybe I shouldn't really use fancy words in the company of experts! Suffice to say Rusty, whatever I was doing wrong, you fixed it (or certainly put me on the right path to fixing it) and I think I'm a better skier for it.
latest report
i really like two basic ideas that i have gleaned from a couple of other sources.

the first is the idea that our shoulders should face or be perpendicular to a line that extends to the apex of our next turn at turn completion. it works in bumps, short radius turns and larger turns.

the next is more complex and may not lend itself well to the internet. the norwegians have a word that roughly translates into english as "sames". stand in a traverse with perhaps "x" number of inches of tip lead. lay a pole across the tips. from the baseline a variety of parallel lines across shins, knees, hips, waist, shoulders. my favorite is the hands. one of my faults is dropping my inside hand on the right side. i can figure out a way to do it in bumps, powder, groomed. if i think of sames it creates a strong inside half, helps in bumps, helps in crud, etc.

my favorite "sames" and the one that helps me most is the idea of always having my hands the same distance from the snow. conor and i did a little work with a drill called pole boxes. it's really just a pole drag with the poles tips augered in the snow near the binding toe-piece. at any point in the turn, provided both poles are the same length rolling eyes one's hands are the same distance from the snow. this creates a great many parallel angles both in terms of the original "sames" that i described and ancillary ones in terms of hands/shoulders/hips being parallel to the snow, etc.

just yesterday i discovered something that really helped my own skiing. i took a group into bumps and played with double pole plants as a drill. i can't describe what it did for my own skiing. i can get a little "braced" in bumps with a high outside shoulder/hips. can't do that and double pole plant! there isn't room for the old inside/new outside pole swing.

Martin Bell, i don't know if you have met todd metz from WP. recently in a clinic someone began to mention the word "counter". they were cut short when todd said a counter is a place cut fish.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 19-02-06 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Rusty Guy, easiski
Quote:
Dont know about the States, but pole planting here is not very important until a decent basic carving turn is accomplished and we're looking at moguls, short radius, off piste etc.

Interesting that. At our coaching session yesterday morning (not our normal coach, and not one I've had before), I got taken to task for not pole planting - on fairly wide carved turns. A discussion then ensued, with the coach maintaining that NO turn should be executed without a pole plant. When I pointed out that I didn't think I'd seen much/any pole-planting in DH or SG races, I was told I was wrong. Looking at the mens SG yesterday though, I think I was right after all, as I don't think I saw a single pole-plant after about the first 20 yards - use of arms to aid balance yes, but nothing close to a plant or "kiss". To me it seems as if the pole-plant is completely counter to just about everything you're trying to achieve in a carved turn, and even smoothly steered turns, as it focuses you onto a single point rather than a smooth extended transition. I know I'm probably too much the other way, but even in short radius stuff I don't see it as much more than a psychological focus point - the end of a trip a couple of years ago I wrecked my shoulder on the penultimate day and spent a day and a half of off-piste training with my left arm capable of nothing more than dangling by my side. Even tight runs through trees and jump turns down 40 degree slopes worked well enough - they just required a bit more mental concentration and commitment to get the timing right. Doubt I'd manage too many linked jump turns without a pole though.

In retrospect, I'm even more convinced that that coach is a d!ckhead. We'd recently been working on shorter radius than carved turns, with smooth extension/flexion to maintain the smoothest pressure management and minimise skidding down the slope. I stared out doing some of these (admittedly not very well), and was then immediately labelled as someone who couldn't carve a turn - and the rest of the session was all about carving exercises (OK it was interesting seeing a couple of variations on our standard repertoire). Then when we got onto the main slope ("just ski - varied radius turns") he wasn't happy about me throwing in any short/narrow turns (e.g. going though a hypothetical flush). The only run that satisfied him was blasting down the slope at Warp-factor 9.9 making about 5 wide carved turns, so you'd blow out by gate 3 at the latest! What the hell is the point of that? Grrr!!!!
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
A discussion then ensued, with the coach maintaining that NO turn should be executed without a pole plant. When I pointed out that I didn't think I'd seen much/any pole-planting in DH or SG races, I was told I was wrong.

Um, no, you were right, your coach was wrong.

I tend to avoid anyone whose instruction consists of "you must ALWAYS do this", as they are limiting you, and removing other options/tactics which may be useful.

Perhaps you could ask the coach how he makes turns when in a tuck? Does he insist on coming out of the tuck so you can plant your pole? Or how does he make a long high speed turn, where your edges are at a high angle, and your inside leg close to brushing the snow?

(these are just my opinions)
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, when challenged, he did actually qualify his position to exclude turns made while in the tuck - but he wouldn't accept the point on other long turns.
ski holidays
Having read this thread (without completely understanding the technicalities!) I am wondering how to ensure that I am being taught the modern technique. Having only skied twice before Im pretty sure that I have been taught the old method (in Kitzbuhel & Ischgl) Heading to Pas in 2 weeks & going into ski school - what should I look out for. Also why are some ski schools teaching old fashioned techniques?

nooner, you were probably taught the old method in Ischgl. I ski there every year and notice that many are traditional ski schools still rely on the old school technique when instructing clients. And I still see quite a few germans humping 200cm Fischer skis.
I've only recently returned from Pas and I was far from impressed with their teaching methods (or lack of). While I was there I saw a total of 5 ski instructors take a nose dive on a blue run when attempting to demonstrate a skidding halt, traverses and parallel turns to the bewildered clients. Come to think of it rolling eyes it could have been the same instructor I suppose...?
snow report
GrahamN, I think you should ask (if that trainer comes back), what his/her qualifications are and when heshe was last revalidated! That would be interesting to know - all sounds a bit silly for Aldershot to me - how can you do even 2 medium radius turns there (unless it's grown since my day?). The ramp is too narrow (except to gain speed on, and then 2 turns later you'd be at the bottom Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Stephen Neal, sounds ghastly.

Wear The Fox Hat, Oh no - we're in agreement again Shocked Shocked

Rusty Guy, I get what you mean in your first example - it took me a while and a bit of paper - it's about what I suggest, for the "sames" I agree, absolutely - we were always taught that! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski, you can just about get 2 GSish turns in by a) starting at the top corner of slope 1 furthest from the drag, take the curve across the slope brushing the drag track, cut across to slope 2 just at the bottom of the ramp, brush slope 2's drag track and finish at the bottom of slope 1 drag. Wink . Remember though to take a peek over the edge and make sure there're no tentative learners (or anyone else for that matter) coming down slope 2 before you set out!
latest report
So last week, in St Anton, when the instructor had us skiing down the run bouncing up and down holding our poles out in front of us, is that an outdated mode of teaching?

It did seem to encourage skidding rather than carving, but he was trying to teach us technique for off-piste turns, and was adamant that upweighted short radius turns were the only way to ski off piste, which didn't quite sit right with me, was he correct?
ski holidays
Kramer, There are lots of instructors who do believe this for off piste, and it works fine - I don't often do it myself (takes too much energy), but in deep for short turns I would not go against it. On the piste is another matter though .... Shock
latest report
Kramer, the efficacy of any drill is crucial. don't be afraid to ask why, why, why?

poles out front, up-unweighting........is he/she merely filling time or is there a reason for the exercise. i can assure you up-unweighting is not REQUIRED in any circumstances.
snow report
Rusty Guy, Yes - unweighting is not REQUIRED, but in deep snow it isn't counter productive as it is on the piste. Mind you, I do like to TURN off piste, and most of the freeriders here only do gentle Ss!!! Laughing Laughing (cue Ponder for a defense of fat skis??) Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I've been amazed to discover just how fun it can be to ski off-piste without unweighting--even making nice, short turns.
ski holidays
Kramer,

You get out too much.... You've always just got back from somewhere..!! NehNeh
snow conditions
Rusty Guy and all, just to chip in with my agreement for what Conor said about turning in with the inside knee and how it has helped his skiing. It took me a while to realise what Rusty was getting at, bit slow that way is me, but now I've had a week away in Switzerland to practice on my own it has really helped. All in the party commented on how much better/easier my skiing seemed to be. Before this I was a real brute force and ignorance skier, and still revert to form when the going gets tough, but I'm still working on it.

The other thing I struggle on is pole planting, in that I rarely do it. During the lesson, Rusty, you mentioned that the instructor we'd had the day before, Chris I think his name was, thought he'd given the worst lesson of his life. Part of this lesson was working on plants and him trying to get over the '10-2' theory. Can you let him know that it wasn't all in vain. It finally clicked whilst away last week and I think I understand it now.
latest report
Pole plants still puzzle me so I've stopped worrying about them on the groomers - for the time being anyway. I use them on bumps (for timing if nothing else) but these are pole "kisses" as described by Rusty. Also use them on steeps to keep me out of the back seat and reach down for turns.
latest report
Sorry, pole touches not plants.

As for starting turns with the inside knee, I mentioned this to an instructor who was helping out with some guiding we were doing last week. He reckoned that it was a technique that is taught to downhill/GS racers and not a normal technique. He had a solo lesson with one of our group the saturday morning we arrived and seemed a decent instructor and not of the old school. Comments Rusty, easiski, all?
ski holidays
mac, I'd say it is a normal technique used by many people when 2-footed carving.
ski holidays
Quote:

He reckoned that it was a technique that is taught to downhill/GS racers and not a normal technique.

Interesting, my man Luca was explaining to me that when they were developing the new carving skis they spent alot of time analysing the various techniques the racers developed to maximise the performance of the skis and used this info when drawing up the new teaching methods (not sure if this was an Italian thing or ski industry in general). So it seems as though techniques used by the racers should be being taught, only to a less extreme level.
Again this bears some truth as last year I was out freeskiing with the owner of the hotal we were staying in. He used to be on the Italian national squad and was trying to get me to initiate my turns by rolling my knees out of the hill, something he must have picked up from his racing days maybe?!!
snow report
mac, chris and i have had a lot of discussions about bumps in general. to begin with, i find it refreshing that he would say a lesson did not go well and take the blame. he is a full cert, a member of our training staff and a very good skier/teacher.

chris went out in an instructor clinic recently bemoaning something he saw in a recent psia publication. it was the standard "pole plant/pivot on top of the bump". i', sure he discussed the issue he and i have with this vis a vis what this does in terms of tactics as well as the impact a "plant" can have on our upper body.

i'll relay your comments to him today.

the pole plant on top of the bump is certainly on my top ten list of myths that need resolved with skiers. the sad thing is that it is certainly an easy way to teach a student to make one or two turns at 5kph in little bumps. it won't bode anyone well in other situations.

as far as your recent lesson goes, remember i gave you a variety of options to release from the old turn and start a new turn all involving the old outside/new inside leg;
1. roll foot towards the little toe
2. pry big toe off the snow
3. tip the knee
4. abduct the thigh
5. imagine the old outside/new inside boot is filled with water and tip a little water downhill

all the above are initial movements that CONTINUE throughout a ski turn. it's a simple question of intensity, duration, rate, and timing based upon our intent.

i can't imagine an instructor not teaching tipping movements or pondering the normalcy of these movements. we have four edges and we have to transition from one pair to the other during the course of going from left to right or vice versa. boiled down to the simplest form "tip em or turn em"

now i'm curious. how did this instructor instruct you to initiate or continue a ski turn?

as you well remember one of the first things i explore with a student in bumps or any terrain is to ask......how do you turn? typically the first answer is some convoluted statement about weight transfer. i then stand somewhere on the piste. move my fat back bottom from ski to ski lifting one leg then the other and demonstrate that this does not result in me going anywhere.

i'm sure that this will confuse many, however, weight is a unit of measurement. it is often confused with what we feel building on our outside foot during the course of any turn. that is centripital force....every little snowflake pushing on our ski subsequent to our mass pushing on the snow surface.

turning and/or our going somewhere is the result of edge angles and or where we point our skis.

conor, keep thinking about "sames" and the mantra of "tall,touch,tip". as long as you keep your outside hand where it should be you won't get overly "countered". toss in a few "pole boxes" or do a double pole plant in bumps.
latest report
Big G wrote:
So it seems as though techniques used by the racers should be being taught, only to a less extreme level.

Presumably racers will use the most effective technique to control their skiing, while still trying to be as fast as possible. Seems like a good base for recreational skiers' technique?
snow conditions
Rusty Guy wrote:
the pole plant on top of the bump is certainly on my top ten list of myths that need resolved with skiers. the sad thing is that it is certainly an easy way to teach a student to make one or two turns at 5kph in little bumps. it won't bode anyone well in other situations.

e.g. a pole plant on the top of a bump on Outhouse - if your skis are in the rut, you probably won't be able to reach the top of a bump!
ski holidays
After reading all this it makes me wonder just how I get down the slope Laughing

I think I'm another one for the EOSB carving ski school. Very Happy
latest report
Ok then, if I look back at my tracks, and they are just two parallel single lines, with no skidding evident whatsoever, by default am I initiating my turns properly?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy