Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

****Donate ski kit to a Pakistani ski school struggling against the odds?*****

Poster: A snowHead
crazy_skier_jules, Not a bad idea seeing as I have no second hand gear at all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All - the website will be online shortly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ham, I've heard nothing more from my friend in PK. Will try and remember to message her on Monday
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
crazy_skier_jules, Me too, that's about the only thing I could think of to do though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, site is live, without much content yet: http://www.skiforpeace.net/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What about the French? I went to the council tip in Bourg St Maurice in the summer and there was a skip full of skis and poles that had been dumped.
I think snowcrazy knows the Mayor of BstM maybe he could get involved, in fact he may have some connections from his summer job?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In response to what boredsurfin, has written. Ham, I do not want to put the dampers on this, but I need to ask you a few questions before considering getting involved. Have you been to the Swat valley? Have you skied there? Are you aware of what already goes on in Pakistan regarding skiing? Or is all your information based on the TV programme and the contact your have had with this one person.

As boredsurfin, says, there are loads of things that 'COULD' be done to help these people. I think your idea is commendable, but do wonder what you really know of the place, how the overseas aid works in a place like Pakistan and which group do you plan to work with as your local contacts.

I do know quite a few poeple around that MIGHT be willing to get involved, BUT with Aid to such a place as Pakistan there are many hoops you will need to jump through to make it happen.

I and I would guess other readers of this thread would be very interested to read further details of your plans. If you want to discuss anything please feel free to PM me in the first instance via snowheads. I should think I am one of the few people on this forum that has actually skied in the place mentioned.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
YHPM

Detailed plans will be developed as the effort progresses, hopefully the website will help coordinate.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

but do wonder what you really know of the place, how the overseas aid works in a place like Pakistan and which group do you plan to work with as your local contacts.

#good questions but they have already been asked - for example holidayloverxx is in touch with the British High Commission in Pakistan. It could turn out, with proper analysis, that access to some ski hardware is not the key constraint to the development of skiing in the Swat Valley. Few development problems are solved with the delivery of "cargo". But if, as part of a wider effort, it was possible to help in some way, it would be worth doing.

There is a pair of old skis dumped by our abri poubelles today but nobody would want them, not even in the Swat Valley and they would not be worth the cost of transporting.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
quite a lot of French dumps will be getting loads of knackered old skis and boots at the moment as the Decathlon troc has just ended and unsold/unclaimed items will be dumped.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, In fact not all the questions I had asked were answered in the previous pages. I just checked. However, I do agree with you that the 'delivery of cargo' is seldom the solution to a development project such as this. It is just one of many parts which needs to be in place.

Having skied there myself, they have a lot of other issues to overcome before the ski area can be turned into a commercial enterprise. The least of these problems being the location of the ski lifts themselves. I do remember one great day I had there. We skied what seemed like about 20km all down hill in good snow over meadows and little jumps to meet the supply vehicles before getting a lift back in the helicopter. Fun! Those were the days!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowcrazy, your heli trip sounded like fun. So what's the place like and how were the locals (if you interacted with them)?

This is hardly a 'development project' Shocked
It's just a bunch of people who enjoy skiing (us) sending some old ski stuff they no longer need to another bunch of people who enjoy skiing (the Swat Valley Snowheads?). Just sharing a passion....that's all.

I think it's so cool what can be done when a bunch of ordinary folks put their heads together, using their individual contacts, to achieve a worthy aim. Yes, it's amateurish, we haven't done a cost-benefit analysis, researched the demographics and don't have a clue what the Swat valley is like except that it looks like they could do with some ski gear...but let's see what we can do anyway!!

We're not going to turn the Swat valley into "a commercial enterprise", but we might put some smiles on more faces for a few months a year. I'd be proud to be a part of that. Idris and some others have/are sourcing kit. I'm trying to source some kids' winter clothing like mits, beanies, scarves, one-piece suits in various sizes (with zero success so far).

We have to collect it all and get it to the folks in Swat...do you have any ideas? Since you've been there, do you have any local contacts who can help with transport from an airport to the valley? Your or any help would be invaluable coz i doubt many of us have a clue other than asking a local airline for some free cargo for a good cause.

BTW - We can't do anything about "the location of ski lifts", but I think you'll find that crazy_skier_jules is on a Mission Impossible wrt sourcing a used ski lift (seriously!). I doubt she'll get anywhere, but the fact she is willing to try shows a lot of guts, tenacity and optimism. Just imagine if she got one ... how cool would that be??!!!
(cue MI theme tune)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ALQ wrote:

BTW - We can't do anything about "the location of ski lifts", but I think you'll find that crazy_skier_jules is on a Mission Impossible wrt sourcing a used ski lift (seriously!). I doubt she'll get anywhere, but the fact she is willing to try shows a lot of guts, tenacity and optimism. Just imagine if she got one ... how cool would that be??!!!
(cue MI theme tune)

That will be dead cool ... and it lifts the issues of transporting the gear onto an entirely new level. But hey, that's what challenge is all about.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also - for those that haven't been over to www.skiforpeace.net - here is the list of kit that is being asked for:

1. Carving skies for training (may be used) 50 pairs.
2. Carving skies for children training (may be used) 30 pairs
3. Carving skies for competition for slalom (if new) 05 pairs
4. Carving skies for competition for giant slalom (if new) 05 pairs
5. Carving skies for competition for supper giant slalom (if new) 05 pairs
6. Carving skies for children competition for slalom (if new) 05 pairs
7. Carving skies for children competition for giant slalom (if new) 05 pairs
8. Slalom racing suit for adult 10.
9. Slalom racing suit for children 05.
10. Race timing keeping system.
11. Ski tuning kit
12. Portable ski lift
13. Ski poles as for above requirements
14. Ski boots as for above requirements
15. Wax
16. Course setting poles
17. Skier edge
18. Ski helmet
19. Hand guards

Summarised:
80 pairs of used skis and boot / poles
25 pairs new gear
15 Slalom suits
Bits & pieces

Oh yeah..... a ski lift Wink

Idrisski has already come up with a good number of skis, I also have offers from around the world so we have a realistic chance of getting the guts of that list together.

Oh yeah... and a ski lift Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
yes, I had never got the impression that there was any intention to help create a commercially sustainable ski area - just to help the groups which are skiing and training there to do so more effectively.

As a family we had our first ski lessons on a dry slope in Scotland that didn't have a lift. It didn't have any snow either though it was frequently refreshed by rain. We still learnt a lot and had fun. It's very good for your legs, climbing hills. wink
ski holidays
BUMP !

Is there anything fresh on this topic?
snow report
JohnHSmith wrote:
BUMP !

Is there anything fresh on this topic?

Sorry nothing new form my end, but still on the scavenge, hope to have 50+ pairs of skis by the end of spring - the tough one is going to be boots......then again I haven't managed to get any pairs of poles yet!
ski holidays
Where do you need stuff to be physically taken to (in UK)? Is there a central collection point?
snow report
Idris, I have an old pair of boots, top end Nordica's but one pin on a buckle needs replacing. The liners are a bit packed but I have slim feet so they would probably be fine on a standard foot. Approx 5 years old so plenty of life still in them.
snow conditions
JohnHSmith,

Echo that John H Smith! Husband and I have 4 pairs of skis in good nick, and at least one pair of reasonable boots we would be pleased to donate. Any ideas yet on where it needs to go to? Very Happy
latest report
I have some stuff in my attic (couple of pairs of skis, one pair of boots) and I am moving house soon so would be great to give this to a good cause. Any news on a collection point? I'm in London so somewhere nearby would suit me very well
snow report
Managed to find some binding parts and put together a few more pairs, mainly kids skis this time.

I have plenty more skis, just need to find some rental bindings.
ski holidays
Idris, well done! snowHead
snow report
Any news anyone?

I am heading to the UK next weekend and would like to drop off all the skis and boots somewhere.

I am running out of space in my little workshop + not sure if I will be driving to the UK again this year.

Tom
latest report
Why dont we ask the PAKISTAN GOVERMANT to donate some money from OSAMA BIN LADEN who they helped hide!!!!!!!!! He must have paid off a few officials rolling eyes
snow report
THE THING, don't be a dick.

OTOH, thanks, 'cos without you bumping this I wouldn't have noticed it hiding away in the stickies.

Is there any recent news on this? I've got a lot of old ski jackets/salopettes I could give, and probably some old goggles too.
snow conditions
No further response from my contact at the high commission. I'll remind her if this takes off again
snow report
Uni took over Shocked

On the other hand, that is not a bad thing. People at Bradford Uni are very into Middle East affairs. Could be a good place to advertise/fundraise. I wonder if the Snowsports Society/Halifax ski slope would hold a fundraiser? I can have words with the Union if you like?

re. the ski lift thing - probably very impossible for us to afford a ski lift especially the transport. They're out there though, there's whole websites of 2nd hand lifts that have been removed from mountains and can be re-used. From short length pomas to entire gondola set ups.
The best thing is going to be a small rope tow like they use for the snowboarding/mountainboarding at Another World. They pop up on ebay occasionally, I know Pendle Ski Club used to have one for when snow covered the rest of Pendle Hill.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can we make our own rope tow like this chap is? http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/81070

Snowheads thread on rope tow: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16075

On TGR, a thread on a homemade one with video: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/239704-Home-made-rope-tow
ski holidays
futcoinscut, Puzzled
snow conditions
pam w, Spammer methinks.
ski holidays
Sorry for the hiatus folks, but aside from Idris of this forum, all the people who said they would help....... didn't. So, I am afraid I let the effort slide.

It is still a live thing, with the change of Government the High Commission is offering to help and get Pakistan Airlines to ship stuff. I'm currently working on how to get Idris's donations into the area - anyone else still interested?
latest report
Don't have any spare kit but would be happy to make a donation towards costs.
snow report
I still have that pair of skis I offered on the first page but they're not carving skis, they're all mountain twin tips. Do you still want them?
latest report
Yes. I still have a couple of sets of (fairly old - 6 or 7 years) skis and bindings. Can someone say where they need to be taken to. I'm in Cumbria. I will be in London 17.12.13
snow report
I'll go ask....

It's quite disappointing that the people who promised most have faded away. I hasten to add, not on this forum, but it does mean that there were/are no collections of STUFF anywhere to add to.
ski holidays
ive just noticed all the threads im reading on snowheads are really old... lol..
my parents are from near that part of pakistan... i think i'll have a look into how the school is going... hopefully well as its nice to see good stuff like this happening Smile
latest report
Afraid so....unfortunately not much has happened Sad

Be very good to know what's happening on the [s]ground[/s] snow there
snow conditions
Ham wrote:
Afraid so....unfortunately not much has happened Sad

Be very good to know what's happening on the [s]ground[/s] snow there

Very Good News! The BBC reports todaythat some Swiss individuals (all credit to them!) have managed to work their way through the significant amount of red tape in Pakistan and have gathered together almost two tonnes of ski equipment which has now been delivered to the Pakistan ski school.

Quote: "When we unpacked all this equipment we were so joyful. My students were so happy. All different sizes of skis, snowboards, poles, ski shoes, warm clothing and helmets - each and everything properly packed and in good condition - it was like a dream come true," says Khan.

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
@Alastair Pink, that is marvellous news Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy