Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

****Donate ski kit to a Pakistani ski school struggling against the odds?*****

Poster: A snowHead
Please list here any interest or support you can offer to help a Pakistani ski school that is recovering from control of their local region by the Taliban. There is a BBC interview with the head of the ski school which explains the situation they are in, and it would be great to help them out in some way.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-03-13 19:10; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fair play to him!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
martinm wrote:
Fair play to him!
The man's a skiing hero! Puts some of our popular issues (lift queues, ski hosting, airline baggage etc etc) in perspective.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
agw, it does and I bet he wouldn't object to his username being changed to Matee Ullah Khan-o
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:

Nice to see skiing overcoming some serious adversity Happy We should donate some skis if there was a way to get them out there.

Maybe somewhere like the Snow Centre at Hemel could adopt this as a cause and coordinate efforts to help. Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bet there's a fair few snowheads with some old spare poles and skis laying around in garages etc that could be packaged up and send out.

Is this something Admin could organise?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly, I tried to donate my skis (only a few years old and in very good nick) to Disability Snowsports UK but no one ever got back to me. I'll happily donate my skis to Matee Ullah Khan's ski school!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only question is whether you could get a parcel to them without it being intercepted, presumably the area is ok at the moment - worth a try, with poles at £8 a pair in Decathlon, a phone call to head office would probably get 20-30 pairs in various sizes to get out there in return for a bit of publicity.

I'm sure we've all got skis that would be better than home made attempts, particularly kids skis that many will grow out of and sit in the loft for years doing nothing.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Got to hand it to him, he's a brave man....just for wearing these outfits to take on the Taliban!!

Mistress Panda wrote:
...a bit of publicity...

Although not the primary motive, but just imagine what it could do for snowHead s
How about some snowHead buffs??

What do ski hire shops do with their old, worn out stock?
It would be damned expensive to get the stuff out there, let alone collect it all in the UK.
Although, the kids would love it Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The ESF in Tignes replace their uniforms every 2 years and the old kit is donated and sent to guides in the Hymalayas(?)

Maybe we should send some to this guy Puzzled although red will be an easy target for the taliban wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ALQ, I know of 2 small companies in the alps that buy up the old stock from hire shops and then sell it on to Eastern Europe and i assume there are probably others that do the same thing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was wondering if I could find a Pakistani businessman here in East London, willing to pay the shipping if a source of stuff could be found?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think it would be a great cause to become involved with if we could sort out the problem of getting equipment to one of the most remote areas of the world.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
First, lets see if we have any source of skis and stuff.

If we can get that end sorted, then I can contact the local paper who are sure to be interested, the area I'm in has a large Pakistani population.

Anyone?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ham, just checked back through Buy, Sell, Exchange as someone had a job lot of ex-rental gear to get rid of, but they were sold before Christmas (he was offering them for free). I wonder if it is worth a PM though in case he has other stuff at the end of the season. I think he is in St Gervais.
snow report
Ham, I've started a new thread, and asked people to post any suggestions of sources of equipment in here.
ski holidays
If the ski area is called Swat; do they eat in a mountain hut, hut, hut, hut, hut!!?
snow report
Perhaps we could ship CEM out there for 6 months, after all we all know that the basis of any successful skier is half a grands worth of professionally fitted skiboot...

ok joke over.

Perhaps a good starting point is to contact the BBC, and see if you can get contact details of the guy in the article and find out what he actually needs on the ground...
ski holidays
I think the biggest challenge will be to get some sort of shipping arrangement in place. Even if some ex-rental gear can't be sourced I'm sure that there are enough old skis sitting in lofts that can be dusted off and provide some value for a ski school with what sounds like almost nothing. Anyone know anybody in FedEx, DHL, UPS, etc?
latest report
rob@rar, I believe the swat valley is where UN and Red Cross convoys get attacked fairly frequently, unfortunately I don't think UPS would take that on...
snow report
albinomountainbadger wrote:
rob@rar, I believe the swat valley is where UN and Red Cross convoys get attacked fairly frequently, unfortunately I don't think UPS would take that on...
Sounds like a job for The Lardy Bus wink
ski holidays
I checked the old threads as I suggested is this OP worth contacting http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2172483&highlight=pairs#2172483
ski holidays
Donations to date:

UK aid 2010/11: £215m
UK aid in 2014/15: £446m
& change: +107.44
Total aid 2010-2015: £1.392bn

thats a fair few poles then.
latest report
ropetow, I doubt aid is reaching a small ski school in Swat valley.
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:

Very true, although those government types and their fat families do need at least 3 SUVs each you know...
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
I'd hope it wasn't.
snow report
A ski resort will go nicely with their Nuclear Bomb project!

Closer to home Disability Snow sports UK are always looking for spare kit as are Special Olympics UK
ski holidays
Well, I've spoken to the local rag who have said they'd be interested to run the story with an appeal for a local business to pay for the travel.

All we need now is gear.

I somehow suspect that our homegrown groups, especially those aimed at less able, might not appreciate all cast-offs in the same way as those who nail shoes to lumps of wood
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ham wrote:
I somehow suspect that our homegrown groups, especially those aimed at less able, might not appreciate all cast-offs in the same way as those who nail shoes to lumps of wood

Good point - 1980s rear entry boots and skis have still got to be a big improvement on what they're currently using out in Pakistan!
ski holidays
Next time I'm up at hillend I'll ask what happens to all their kit that is clearly around 10 years old and never serviced... have a feeling they'll just say they're using it next year though.

Did glencoe not get lots of new hire kit last season? wonder what they did with their old stuff.
snow report
No Slovenian skis and loose bindings however ...

I've got a pair to donate if we can find a way
ski holidays
The radio clip is here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0152184/Witness_Skiing_in_the_Swat_Valley/
ski holidays
I bought some ex hire skis in France a year or three ago and with another pair I can liberate from the attic I can donate three pairs (I think). But as someone has already said, transport is the problem. I'm in Carlisle (home of Eddie Stobart) and can probably enquire of someone whether they can find some spare space in a vehicle heading that way. I think they have done similar things in the past, getting toys to Romanian orphanages and the like. Pakistan is a bit further away than Romania though - but...
'don't ask, don't get'
... not worth asking yet, as its not clear what is needed there on the ground and what may be available here.
Or is it?
latest report
OK, I have now got contact details for for the guy in Pakistan. Lets see what he needs, and see if we can help.
snow conditions
Ham, good work.
ski holidays
Small niggle here, don't want to poo on what is basically a sound idea but...I had a look at the various news reports and loads of pictures of the ski area etc and can't see any women. I don't think there's anything in the Koran forbidding women from skiing. Is it that they're just camera shy?
ski holidays
robapplegate wrote:
Small niggle here, don't want to poo on what is basically a sound idea but...I had a look at the various news reports and loads of pictures of the ski area etc and can't see any women. I don't think there's anything in the Koran forbidding women from skiing. Is it that they're just camera shy?

I haven't looked at loads of pictures but a quick google found this.

http://youtube.com/v/JVAWG5owr6g
ski holidays
http://tribune.com.pk/story/503030/pakistan-women-skiers-hope-for-international-events/

Searched and found this.
snow report
swiftoid, Iski, Thanks both, you've put my mind at rest Very Happy
snow conditions
It's a pity they can't get their ski lift re-instated or even get hold of a flat packed piste basher. Where do old piste basehrs go to die?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy