Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots in Whistler

Poster: A snowHead
Last time I bought boots is was from Surefoot in Whistler. Whilst the service was good, the boots (Tecnica TNT Icon) were fearsomely expensive, I could have bought them cheaper in the UK even with the pound strong against the CAD. Totalled over £1000 CAD for boots and footbeds. They should rename themselves Dick Turpin's.

However, I'm back in Whistler next week for a wedding, sorry for some skiing with a wedding in the way, next week. I've put about 8 serious weeks into the Tecnicas and I want (not necessarily need) some new boots.

So the question is, where to go? I was thinking Canski? I'm not going back to Surefoot.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As you've only got a week (and even then a wedding will get in the way) - I'd suggest these in the following order, which is different from my other post.

1st choice - Steve (big guy with tattoos all up and down his arms) in SnowCovers in the Marketplace.

2nd - CanSki Blackcomb (this branch only please) - ask for Alex or Erin.

3rd McCoos (the branch nearest the Whistler Gondola) - ask for George McConkey. He will sort you out with your feet, this man is a legend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice one, I know all those places. I'm staying above Araxi so easy to get around. Is George McConkey as in Shane?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Relation. I think. Also Jim McConkey.

Although George is a legend in bootfitting, due to time constraints, Snowcovers will be a better place for you.

With George, he's not there everyday, you'll have to make an appointment (usually 2-3 days) - then he'll look at your feet, alignment etc., send you out shopping for 2 specific make, models & sizes, you bring the boots back, he'll chuck out the standard liners, customise some Intuition liners, tweak, etc. etc. etc. So not exactly a one day job.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I vote for Snowcovers, got my last 2 pairs from there. Great guys, good knowledge.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sno Covers it is then. Time constraint is bad as well, arriving Thursday night, Fri and Sat there then flying back Sun. Schedule is Fri morn, boot fitting. Fri afternoon, try them out. Fri evening, adjust crippling boots. Saturday, try out again, more crippling boot adjustment. Saturday evening, wedding, Sunday, crawl back from brink of death, go home.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flicksta, Comeon, all that snow, and you're only there for a few days?

Are you a man or mouse? Pull a sickie! Stay longer!

If Snowcovers don't have exactly the right stock (they should have, it's the start of the season!) - the Erin at CanSki Blackcomb used to fit at Snowcovers, he's very very good. Alex too.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I know, it's gutting. Earliest opening of the peak in history I believe.

Fresh tracks on the Saturday - I'm going to go for death or glory. The Maden's are going to get it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight wrote:
Although George is a legend in bootfitting, due to time constraints, Snowcovers will be a better place for you.

With George, he's not there everyday, you'll have to make an appointment (usually 2-3 days) - then he'll look at your feet, alignment etc., send you out shopping for 2 specific make, models & sizes, you bring the boots back, he'll chuck out the standard liners, customise some Intuition liners, tweak, etc. etc. etc. So not exactly a one day job.

I've got boots from George and would recommend him.

He isn't around the shop all day as he tries to get out and ski most days. But he does tend to do a couple of fittings - one first thing in the morning and another couple "after skiing" - from around 16:00. The fittings take 2 hours plus.

Getting a same week appointment can be difficult - but if you phone ahead a week or two before you'll have your choice of time and day.

One quite strange experience is that he doesn't sell boots - he just fits them - so he'll send you off shopping. In most shops if you say that George is fitting your boots they'll hand over a couple of pairs for you to take back to him in exchange for holding your credit card. George then chooses one and bashes shell fits them - all before you've paid for them.

He uses the shopping window to tweak boots from previous days, if needed - so once you've had them fitted it's generally easy to have any minor tweaks done. Unlike most shops he does stuff there and then.

He charges around $50-60 CAD an hour, plus liners - though he doesn't always recommend them.

Once you've had your boots fitted by him he offers a, sort of, unlimited free aftercare service - I took my boots back two years later for a "10,000 mile service" - he remembered me (I'm not that memorable); remembered my feet and did nearly an hours tweaking for free.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The difference between George and Snowcovers, so I'm told via many long conversations on chair-lifts, is that in SnowCovers they like to mould the original ski boot lining whereas George likes to fit "Intuition" liners. These special liners aren't great for world-class level performance skiing, so I'm told.

So which boot-fitter to go to really depends on what you want from your ski boot:

George: warm, comfy, great for the majority of skiers
Snowcovers: performance (i.e. boots can ber very 'snug' so you might need to loosen them while on chair-lifts and will probably take longer to wear in)

When I say 'performance' though, we're talking about getting down a race-course fast. I find that my race-course performance is poop although my snowcovers boots speeded my skiing up loads.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy, I was going to try Snowcovers bootfitting service last season but they said they didn't have any boots in my size and probably wouldn't for the rest of the season. About a week later when I went back and told them that I'd lined up George to do my bootfitting they miraculously had some boots on order, in my size, that were due to arrive about 2 or 3 weeks later. Hrmph! I probably didn't help myself by mentioning that it might take a while to get the fitting right because of my dodgy feet. rolling eyes

OK, yes I'd heard about the performance loss with Intuition liners but I do like having warm and pain free feet! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PhillipStanton, it's amazing how good a memory George has for faces isn't it?! Very Happy

I should add that I love my new boots and George only had to do the one fitting for me and no tweaks. I was in there for quite some time! He had worked on my previous boots and based on them knew exactly what to do to the new ones. He is fab. Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geetee wrote:
Snowy, I was going to try Snowcovers bootfitting service last season but they said they didn't have any boots in my size and probably wouldn't for the rest of the season. About a week later when I went back and told them that I'd lined up George to do my bootfitting they miraculously had some boots on order, in my size, that were due to arrive about 2 or 3 weeks later. Hrmph!

That's not good. I've heard good and bad things about them. The first pair of boots they fitted on Mr Snowy made his feet go numb half-way up the chair-lift (wizard chair I think) so he had real problems getting back down to the shop....but at least they served him!

geetee wrote:
I probably didn't help myself by mentioning that it might take a while to get the fitting right because of my dodgy feet. rolling eyes

I've got dodgy feet too which are totally out of alignment. They planed the soles of my boots to fix that problem in about 10 minutes compared to the 3 hours it took some other guy here in the UK took (and still didn't get it right!). Suddenly I could ski with my feet shoulder-width apart, for a change, because the edges no longer caught on the snow. It made all the difference when water-skiing down to Red Chair. wink

I remember having a right old argument with someone on Snowheads who said that there was no such thing as alignment issues - it was just bad technique! rolling eyes

What's wrong with your feet geetee?

geetee wrote:
OK, yes I'd heard about the performance loss with Intuition liners but I do like having warm and pain free feet! Laughing

Exactly!

I remember the pain while my 'performance' boots were being corrected. If I'd not been there for the season, I think I'd be going back every year to get them adjusted. It still doesn't make me want to buy Intuition liners though....and besides, the nice-purple colour wouldn't look good through my transparent shells. Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Re intiution liners

1. They are very good liners, no doubt about that. George doesn't just stick them in, there is actually quite a bit of modifications he does to get a better performance fit (eg; sinus pads, tongue pads) to suit your foot.

2. The have a better ability to mould to the shape of your foot better than a stock thermo-form liner in most cases

3. Re the comfort/performance argument: If you're in pain/discomfort, you can't ski well. Don't think of the Intuition as a comfy slipper fit, they are not.

6. I suspect the performance difference issue only applies to excellent expert skiers, of course, of which we have many on this forum.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, do you have intuition liners in your boots?
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Don't think of the Intuition as a comfy slipper fit, they are not.

That depends on your luck. My boots have been like slippers (in a good way) since the pain of the rapidly cooling Intuition liners subsided! Mrs PS's boots are similarly comfy.
snow conditions
Snowy, Well I thought I had a Morton's neuroma (and I even had a podiatrist agree), however I'm starting to think that I just have Morton's toe and all I really needed was the toe box to be blown out. I'm not convinced now that my feet are that dodgy. rolling eyes

veeeight,
Quote:

If you're in pain/discomfort, you can't ski well.

I agree!

George had already made my Intuition liners for my previous boots and he tweaked them for the new ones. Sorry, but I think they feel like warm, comfy, snugfitting slippers (and no boot flop!)
snow report
Snowy wrote:
veeeight, do you have intuition liners in your boots?

Nope, Head's stock liner is a good match for my foot.
ski holidays
veeeight wrote:
Nope, Head's stock liner is a good match for my foot.

I suppose you must just like clients without boot issues then? I expect you cover a lot more miles when they're all happy. Smile
snow report
geetee, having read up on Morton's neuroma/toe (which I'd never heard of before today), it sounds like what you experience when either:

1. it's -20oC and you've got damp boot liners
2. it's the coldest day of the year in the UK, with frost on the ground, and your PE teacher makes you do cross-country in your shorts and t-shirt. Skullie

i.e. either your toes feel like they're going to snap off, they're so numb, alternated with toes that feel like they're on fire coz they're so cold.

Is that right?
snow conditions
Snowy, I've never experienced 1 or 2 but to me it felt like the worst, most painful cramp ever under top of my foot near the 2nd and 3rd toes and the only thing I could do was to take the boot off. This, as you can imagine, could be rather inconvenient at times!!
snow report
geetee wrote:
This, as you can imagine, could be rather inconvenient at times!!

I can vouch for that geetee. rolling eyes

What a fabulously patient man Mr geetee is wink
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, wasn't my fault Twisted Evil and I could say the same for Mrs PS NehNeh
snow conditions
geetee - we all know that Mrs PhillipStanton is an absolute saint to put up with me Little Angel
snow report
I went to George McConkey this year based on all the reviews I read. I can't say I'm 100% happy with the boots. Maybe I still need to run them in a bit. Went back multiple times, but I still needed to unbuckle the boots each time I got to the bottom of the run. I couldn't narrow down exactly where the pressure point was coming from, but my foot was in agony by the end. Hoping the boots will wear in, but just hope ppl dont expect to walk out with painless boots.
snow report
xtreme_air, phew.......so pleased you answered. I've been waiting 5 and a half years to hear that. Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy