Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How fast do you think you ski on piste?

Poster: A snowHead
@Valkyrie, I have forgotten all the complicated stuff, but I have a degree in the subject Embarassed
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fast enough to put a smile on my face; and that's all that matters. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
110kph through the speed trap in tignes. also 110 down trolles in to tignes. I had an intermediate snowboarder friend who posted his ski tracks that said he had done 130 haha. think it was when it first came out so maybe some teething problems.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mk28, The number of ski tracks posts I see from someone that can't ski all that well saying "clocked up 70kmh today" makes me shake my head
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't ski very well and I've often done over 80kph according to Skitracks. But I only do this on empty pistes so I'll only kill myself.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Where is the speed trap in Tignes ?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
aha, so from just watching/listening to the skeleton on the BBC Olympics coverage, the heavier riders are able to maintain/reach higher speeds - they referred to it as a "gravity sport" I would imagine it is the same for straight line skiing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennisboy, for the reasons discussed to excruciating length above...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bennisboy wrote:
@mk28, The number of ski tracks posts I see from someone that can't ski all that well saying "clocked up 70kmh today" makes me shake my head

From what I see on the actual slopes, the more worrying thing is the number of people who can't ski all that well actually skiing at that kind of speed with little directional control or ability to slow down. It's really not that difficult to ski fast (as in 70 kph) on a smooth piste. Obviously the difficulty ramps up exponentially once you start going 80 kph+ or on more difficult terrain. But the 60-70 kph intermidiot is quite a common sight these days on piste.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@Bennisboy, for the reasons discussed to excruciating length above...

Yeah but it seemed like people were never fully in agreement, hence I thought people would be interested to hear what the pros have to say about it
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
red 27 wrote:
I hit 104.6kph on the Davos speed trap course (which is steep and long of its type) and that felt super fast

I did this speed trap the other day, hit 96.3kph. I don't think I'd have liked to be going much quicker tbh (although cracking 100kph would have been nice!).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is a fairly slow little speed trap near me where 65 - 70 kph is the usual. Today I was on almost empty red runs on GS skis, you can go a hell of a lot faster on those as you can see quite a way down the piste and the rollers are not big enough to hide anyone.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jean claude mont blanc, it used to be in val claret in between the half pipe and where they do slalom training. was a couple of seasons ago so they might not have it anymore. the stopping area was far too small for the speed through the trap and it was a metal railing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Too fast......................
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Bennisboy, BBC commentators maybe professional in that they are paid, but on the whole I am not convinced they are experts.
snow report
Clocked 104km/h today in Les Arcs. Felt fast and safe at the time. Thinking about a binding releasing now though craps me out a bit.
snow conditions
Quite comfortable at 90kph, but my DIN's at 5 so a bit loath to push much harder at the moment (still very unfit).
snow report
Oh no. Here we go again Toofy Grin
latest report
@telford_mike, I just point'm down the hill and let ski Trax do the maths Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@auntie masque, my DINs also 5 - don’t want to know how much jeopardy I'm in!
ski holidays
@telford_mike, as long as you have good, long travel suspension, you're fine, it's when we stiffen up we rattle the skis off. Shocked
snow report
DIN 5 sounds a bit lightnfor anyone thinking they are really hitting those sorts of speeds regularly.
latest report
I'll admit I know nothing but I always when on presumption 1 din point per 10kg, am i way wrong
latest report
@Jonny996, it’s not a terrible rule of thumb.
snow conditions
@under a new name, @Jonny996, I'm old, heavy, with a couple pounds of French Mechano holding my right leg together and the last time 1DIN/10Kg was used on my skis the surgeon had to go digging halfway up my calf to find the broken end of my Achilles tendon . . . so for the moment '5' it is Cool
ski holidays
The male race formula for tech events is to set them to your weight in stone, wind them up a bit further for SG and DH.

I straddled a SL gate on Wednesday and the ski still came off without any discomfort with the bindings on 12.
snow report
Awdbugga wrote:

Going up in a gondola doesn't count.... snowHead
snow report
@auntie masque, pre release may be as bad or worse than non release.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
martinm wrote:
Awdbugga wrote:

Going up in a gondola doesn't count.... snowHead

True, but I had a smile on my face then as well. How could one not smile at simply being in the midst of such stunning scenery. Shocked Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Thinking about a binding releasing now though craps me out a bit.

I had the same problem cruising on my motor bike and suddely I would start think John Parry-Thomas and Babs and the speed would drop.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@auntie masque, pre release may be as bad or worse than non release.
sorry to be a bit erratic with my posts, 3,300 miles in 4 and a bit days every week puts a crimp in free time.
I've never been hurt in a pre-release (touch wood, x-fingers, kiss bum) only with non-releases. but I'm not skiing where if I fall off my skis I get to practice my 'free fall glide' position (perhaps I should ski in my wing suit Twisted Evil ) I've been lucky enough to have a day or two a week most of this winter on perfect, unmarked, 'fresh bash'. and I know where I can push on a bit. I've also been working VERY hard on my leg strength, endurance and twitch muscle response (which still needs to be much better) and the camera platform above the waist is becoming much smoother and though the legs below are not yet Öhlins MotoX quality, they are good enough to push on to 90+ kph on empty, well known, great condition pistes with a DIN5 setting. I agree that is too low for adverse terrain and poor conditions where I will obviously need to either back off or dig out the screw driver wink
snow report
.....3,300 miles in 4 and a bit days every week....

Crikey. I had you averaging over 100mph before I twigged!
snow report
@BoardieK, I average about 66mph including getting through 3 cities twice, the worst is St. Louis Evil or Very Mad
snow report
moffatross wrote:
Even if there's nobody else around to kill or injure, unless you're winding your bindings up to pretty much locked to your boots, you're tempting fate warp speeding on a piste, no matter how experienced you are at it. I suspect there are a few posters in this and other threads like these with DIN's set at less than 14 though. wink

Why? Sure enough, racers are hitting ruts & bumps at warp speed but the average Joe that finds a smooth & clear piste that can be straight lined is not going to need their ski bindings wound that high, the 7 that mine are set to is fine for straight line schusses, its only if I fall that the skis come off, as they should. The only time that I have had unwanted release is when hitting moguls hard.
113kmh is the fastest that my gps has displayed.
snow report
tangowaggon wrote:
moffatross wrote:
Even if there's nobody else around to kill or injure, unless you're winding your bindings up to pretty much locked to your boots, you're tempting fate warp speeding on a piste, no matter how experienced you are at it. I suspect there are a few posters in this and other threads like these with DIN's set at less than 14 though. wink

Why? Sure enough, racers are hitting ruts & bumps at warp speed but the average Joe that finds a smooth & clear piste that can be straight lined is not going to need their ski bindings wound that high, the 7 that mine are set to is fine for straight line schusses, its only if I fall that the skis come off, as they should. The only time that I have had unwanted release is when hitting moguls hard.
113kmh is the fastest that my gps has displayed.

I have my bindings set at around 8 (as standard recommended setting for my weight and boot length) and never had a pre-release at high speed on a piste. I've had the odd pre-release in moguls at much lower speeds, but that's all. IME I certainly don't need to crank DIN setting up above normal settings for high speed piste charging.
latest report
I had two high speed pre releases on my SLs, one of which saw me descend half a mogal field on my side then shooting across the flat for about 50m. Turns out I had cracked a heel piece so that if the skis flexed sufficiently the rear part of the binding would disengage with the boot.
ski holidays
Cracked 100kph on a red run in morzine a few years back on a 157 which felt pretty sketchy or as I like to call it hospital speed, went quicker this season was on a 178 felt even sketchier. Laughing
snow report
@francium., That's on a snowboard, I only measured 2 runs this year on my 157. Easy empty blue; 79kph and 83kph in good conditions so less sketchy than when I was doing 60kph a few years ago.
snow report
@BoardieK yep on a snowboard was using my suunto sparton this season not a phone app, it seems to be pretty accurate.
latest report
I'm probably about 100kg in boots and rucksack and am quite an aggressive skier and have my marker tour f12 at 9 with no issues. Had quite a few goes on empty pistes this week with several 100kph+ on the Garmin and a max of 107. My Movement Sparks are OK but do start to get a little nervous at those speeds as theyre quite light.

The main thing I find to remember that standing up from a tuck quickly at high speed can be a nasty surprise given the sudden increase in wind resistance
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy