Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teachers. Spawn of the devil (school ski trips)

Poster: A snowHead
Lets get another topic going where we can really give teachers a good slagging off because...

They choose poor resorts

Rubbish accomodation

Steal our money to go on a jolly

Encourage our children to get drunk every night

Let them smoke

Allow underage sex

Go off to the pub at night

hate kids and organise trips for their own selfish reasons

Give up their own holiday time and leave their own children in this country to go off with other people kids

Spend hours and hours of their own time organising trips and collecting money

Spend hours on the phone in the resort sorting out insurance claims

Spend nights in hospitals with injured kids

Allow themselves to be taken to court for negligence when kids do not do as they say

Get an average of 4 hours sleep a night when away

Clean up sick on buses

Deal with homesick children

Get very little thanks at all from parents when they return

Wait around for an hour after the trip returns because some parents would rather a teacher wait in the cold with their child than risk turning up too early to collect their child and end up having to wait in their car.

Have i missed anything? Please if anyone can think of another reason to slag them off can we add it here please.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo, you missed staying in the hotel all day (usually a blue sky powder day rolling eyes ) with the kid who has a hangover from all the drink the night before and is still throwing up.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Inundate a nice sleepy resort like St Sorlin D'Arves with British kids once a year wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Elizabeth B, oops sorry

Colin B, Yes thats the worst crime of all!!!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Occasionally turn a deaf ear to incessant whining from spoilt little darlings stifling their legimate rights.

Spoil fun due to risk assesments and ever tightening regulation of what they can do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, and the unending trips to the ski hire shop because a kid who takes size 5 shoes insists on getting bigger and bigger ski boots (usually starts with size 5 and ends at around size 9!) because they feel tight.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, you forgot to add "And then spends the rest of the holiday looking after them after they break their leg due to having boots that were too slack" (Happened to a friend of mine)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, But that is the teachers fault, garethjomo,s example 5 refers wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Colin B, actually it's the ski hire places fault, not the teachers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, Wrong one Smile
Quote:

Elizabeth B, you missed staying in the hotel all day (usually a blue sky powder day ) with the kid who has a hangover from all the drink the night before and is still throwing up

garethjomo,
Quote:

Encourage our children to get drunk every night
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, Ah....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
garethjomo, you missed out the fact that female teachers had a habit of making inappropriate advances to former ski instructors like meeeeeeeee Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is this a teacher only thread or can anyone join in Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Break up a fight in the Disco, whilst staff from the other school SIT WITH THEIR BACKS TO THE DANCEFLOOR - after you've made a point of telling them that something had been brewing all day and THEIR kids were going to kick off on your younger ones Mad.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
* cover for absent colleague who is spending a whole day taking a child by train (air travel not permitted by medics) from resort to meet father at Calais due to intense pain from a raging ear infection following surgery a few weeks before. Said child KNEW the infection was brewing (escalating earache being a bit of a clue!), but had said nothing nor sought treatment "because they would have said I could not come on the trip!" Oh, what really?? DOH!!

* spend hours explaining to whining teenage girls why they can't swap rooms just because yesterday & tomorrow's best mate is today's "worstest enemy"!

* complain when the head insists they should work all day at school, attend an after school meeting till 7.30pm and then arrive back at school to accompany a foreign trip starting at 9pm ready to spend that night & much of the next day on the trip coach, fully alert & responsible for the kids' behaviour & safety.

All these and more happened to me, not on ski trips, but on cultural exchange trips with little treasures.
ski holidays
I find teachers quite annoying
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, I dont mind our female teachers making advances at the ski instructors. It keeps the instructors away from the teenage girls Wink
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:
garethjomo, you missed out the fact that female teachers had a habit of making inappropriate advances to former ski instructors like meeeeeeeee Shocked

Ah, you as well...
snow report
My mate left industry and went in to teaching, oooo about 8-10 yrs ago. Last year he lead a school party skiiing to USA - git Evil or Very Mad He had a great time being paid to go skiing.
ski holidays
Kel wrote:
Teachers you don't have to be stupid, but it helps Razz Razz Razz Embarassed

Harsh....but oh so very true rolling eyes

Prior to No1 son's one,and only,school ski trip...it was suggested it would be a good idea if the none skiers got a taster beforehand.Brilliant idea said the lead teacher,I'll organise it Toofy Grin Oh dear thought I,this should be good.Fortunately said son was a good skier already(thank god!)
At this time,I was a regular at Tamworth,so I had a word.Around 30 kids,extended session,intro to snow,basic plough..you get the idea.Cracked a good deal + further discounted sessions if needed.Even offered to help with transport.Sorted,thought I.
Stupidly,I overlooked the most important factor..."We is teachers...so we is right"....Wrong Mad
The numptie went off and 'organised' some sessions at a dry slope.One instructor for the whole group,kids crashing all over the place,grazed knees/elbows etc...bloody mayhem Shocked All at the bargain price of.....nearly twice that of Tamworth.When the group landed(Saas Fe)most spent the week within 200yds of the hostel.No1 son(and 3 others)had a fantastic week.The two senior instructors got so brassed off with it all,they spent most of their time getting off piste and knarly with the 4 good skiers Toofy Grin

Some little while later(via the school grapevine)I learnt the truth of it.Teacher had dismissed Tamworth out of hand...because he didn't think of it.He even had a go at my son for 'involving his father'.As Ramsey might say...f^^^ing unbelievable Shocked (but sadly true)
snow report
And there's more Laughing The self same numptie organised the following years trip.Excellent snow record.Top hotel c/w 1st class local instructors.Wide variety of skiing with 1st class mountain facilities.All at the bargain price of £850 Shocked To Bulgaria Shocked
I have to admit that,when I first saw this,I thought it was a spoof Laughing No,sadly,it was the real deal.I then did something very naughty Embarassed I engaged the services of a few of No1 son's mates.....just to enlighten the masses you understand wink Not that Bansko is 'not' a good spot for beginners...it is AFAIK.But not for £850!!
The group went..but,I got to hear,there were a few problems.A few stories emerged....a major kick off in a resto over the bill(which bore no resemblance to the order)Two teachers wrestling with each others underwear.Local instructors spending more time with the ladies than the kids.

Good teachers are priceless.....I just wish this country could afford more of them wink
ski holidays
snowskisnow wrote:
Good teachers are priceless.....

I think I was a good teacher - Ofsted reckoned so, my HOD reckoned so & I was headhunted to a particular school to work with a former colleague who'd moved there. I'm one who has abandoned the job though - if you're conscientious you will work 70+hrs a week termtime and spend much of the holidays skill updating, redeveloping schemes of work for the latest government edict, accompanying trips etc & get little thanks from any quarter. I finally snapped when, to add to my stress-induced high blood pressure which once even caused me to collapse & be ambulanced away from school, discipline policies became increasingly unworkable & the parents of the worst started supporting their darlings not the school. When you have for example a recalcitrant but bright 15 year old who refuses to do any work and whose father says "if my f'ing boy says he ain't doing your f'ing detention, he ain't doing it! He don't do f'ing detention - you should f'ing listen to him when he's talking to you"............. Shocked

NB Since I quit (a number of years ago now) I have stopped taking blood pressure tablets.
snow report
I owe my passion for skiing to the teachers at my school. (and my parents for funding it). However, I can spot a retired teacher a mile off in the queue at the airport. They just have a numpty air about them!!!!
snow report
It's not a job I'd want to do. I don't mind kids but I couldn't eat a whole one...
snow report
snowskisnow, This is more like it. He went out of his way to book a trip that was too expensive and to the wrong resosrt just to wind up the parents like you. And he even didn't take the kids to Tamworth because he wanted them injured. Hope he had the sack over it and is never allowed near kids ever again.
ski holidays
One from my mum - explain to one of the kids that there is a Left and Right for ski boots, and they have them the wrong way round
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
It's not a job I'd want to do. I don't mind kids but I couldn't eat a whole one...

me too. I like kids, I grew up with them
snow report
I am a teacher, but try not to hold that against me. I take a school party skiing every two years. We are off to Saas Fee at Easter. But I do a lot of those listed things at the beginning..... Clean up sick in coach.....put up with many hours of whining.... little thanks, if any, for giving up own time....sorting out 'best friends', etc. We do take the youngers ones though (9-13) so no drinking alcohol ever involved although quite a problem with Red Bull last time!

All that said, one of my most rewarding ski holidays (personal or school) was spending the week with the lowest ability group and sulking because I was thinking I would not get any skiing done all week. They were great. Seeing them progress from the beginning of the week to reach the standard they did by the end was fantastic. I did not get hardly any skiing done of my own but didn't care. That is what a school ski trip should be about.

Butterfly - Agreed with everything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris,

Had a similar experience on a college field trip - a 17 year old in the group spent the entire day wearing wellies on the wrong feet, AND moaned her face off about it...she's now a teacher.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
garethjomo,

I think snowskisnow, has got half a point. It evidently highlights that there should be a lot more co-operation between schools and parents. Quiet obviously a brake down.

The school which Im currently at in Sixth form, has organised a trip to Hockhar in Austria. This is a resort with 18km of slopes? eyebrows raised already. Has anybody heard of it? I doubt it. Not that, that is particularly important. But 18km?????? I could ski that in 2 hours.

In easter at an altitude of 800m. Ummmm.... sorry if they knew anything about skiing, which they could get advice. It requires a bus to get to the slopes as the skiing isn't in the town. The resort top of the resort is 1800m. Well I wouldn't be suprised if at Easter there is a complete lack of snow. Not a clever choice.

At the cost of £700. Hmmmm.... not worth it.

I frankly laugh at the people who have decided to pay that for a substandard sking holiday. At the people who are good skiiers and will get bored in a morning. Probably going to get a lack of snow

Only worth it for begginers. Dissapointing as I always wanted to go on a school ski trip, but haven't been able to. Its the first year my school is doing a ski trip for the first time.

My point is could the teachers not have put a bit of effort into choosing a better resort or got a sixth former or skiier to do it for them.
ski holidays
Christopher wrote:
The school which Im currently at in Sixth form, has organised a trip to Hockhar in Austria. This is a resort with 18km of slopes? eyebrows raised already. Has anybody heard of it? I doubt it. Not that, that is particularly important. But 18km?????? I could ski that in 2 hours.

Believe it or not, kids that ski with their parents usually aren't the ones that school ski trips are trying to attract. The teachers that are running it are probably wanting to give an opportunity to people who wouldn't otherwise get the chance. The piste map doesn't look too bad for 18km....and will be fine for people who have never skied before. Those that are a bit better can have fun in the park!! Anyway, if they'd have picked Val D'Isere, they'd have been accused of picking a resort that they want to ski for free rolling eyes

Quote:
In easter at an altitude of 800m. Ummmm.... sorry if they knew anything about skiing, which they could get advice. It requires a bus to get to the slopes as the skiing isn't in the town. The resort top of the resort is 1800m. Well I wouldn't be suprised if at Easter there is a complete lack of snow. Not a clever choice.

Now you're showing why they didn't ask you to arrange it. The resort website claims that you can ski most years until the end of April. It is quite a long way East, so will contain the snow longer at a lower altitude than say French resorts.

Quote:
Only worth it for begginers. Dissapointing as I always wanted to go on a school ski trip, but haven't been able to. Its the first year my school is doing a ski trip for the first time.

My point is could the teachers not have put a bit of effort into choosing a better resort or got a sixth former or skiier to do it for them.

If it is the 1st time the school have run a ski trip, then wanting to attract beginners rather than experts is a good move. It will give the staff a chance to find out the best way to do things, without having loads of "boy racer experts" who want to bomb off on their own all the time.

I'm not saying that it's perfect, but unless you have had a chat with the staff concerned, you won't know why they are thinking about this place. It is not unusual for a school trip to bus to the slopes every day, as most ski in ski out accommodation won't take large groups of kids Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-01-09 20:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Christopher, what Elizabeth B said. The fact that you get to go skiing with your parents doesn't entitle you to be arrogant and dismissive about a trip organised in order to give other kids the chance to ski as well.
snow conditions
Alpbach 1971, watching from our balconies for the teachers to head home before we went out over said balconies to the Boglerkeller until 3am, drinking schnapps, thinking the Funky Chicken was the best dance song ever and giving our parents a little extra to pay for damaged window frames and blocked drains, yeuch I know. We were 14/15/16 and yes, convent girls. The girls in the annexe - no teachers in that, unthinkable these days - had the best time Razz . Yes, we did ski and it was the start of a long and happy love of skiing although I think and hope that instructors may have moved on a little from Gerhard, who used to dissuade us from falling over by threatening to pick us up "by the boobies". Or maybe not, but he wouldn't - quite rightly - get away with it these days.

Roll on to youngest's first school ski trip in about '98 (Christian Brothers school) and he raved about it with only one complaint; they were hemmed in by teachers as on one side of his small dorm were Mr. A and Mr. B, on the other Miss C and Miss D and opposite, Mr. E and Mrs. F, who each happened to be married to Mrs. E and Mr. F at the time. As trip leaders their holiday was paid for by the parents so when the news broke it caused some amusement and, for some less tolerant or more moral parents (take your pick depending on your views), some outrage that we were paying for an adulterous s..gfest. They're married to each other now so I am happy to have contributed to a happy ending. There have to be some perks if you're prepared to take a load of adolescents on a ski trip wink.
ski holidays
Lizzard, indeed - but it does make him a suitable judge of when people are getting shafted for a holiday in a duff resort.
snow report
Christopher, I think Elizabeth B, has got it spot in. I know a fair bit about skiing and ski myself three times a year but the trip i organise is from from ideal but it is the cheapest we can possibly get at the time we go in order to ensure as many kids as possible go. and every year we take 110 pupils from just one year group so i must be doing something right. I understand your point but there are an awful lot of factors that teachers have to take into consideration 'low cost' being just one.
latest report
Christopher, from an organisational point of view, bussing a large group to and from the slopes seems like a good thing to me. Having kids wandering to the lifts and back in groups is far more difficult to manage - who's where? who knows.
Small resort in terms of mileage - kids are contained even if skiing in groups. If they are largely beginners, then small ski area will not be a problem. My first ski with school was to Ravascletto. Heard of it? There was a lot less than 18km and it was a great holiday.

Sounds like a winner from the staff/school's point of view.
snow conditions
Aneira wrote:
A I think and hope that instructors may have moved on a little from Gerhard, who used to dissuade us from falling over by threatening to pick us up "by the boobies". Or maybe not, but he wouldn't - quite rightly - get away with it these days.

I think he would.
snow report
Christopher wrote:
Quiet obviously a brake down.

In teaching of spelling Wink
ski holidays
Help I'm channelling Hurtle... someone get her out of my brain!!! Shocked
ski holidays
little tiger, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy