Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance for 24 days in USA

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry for another insurance question but …

We are putting together our retirement trip in Colorado and struggling with options for insurance that are not over £1500. we need cover for:
Myself and Mrs MM 61 & 62yrs, 24 day duration, cancellation over £5,000 per person, policy that doesn’t state ‘marked runs only’(we like to explore off piste but not backcountry. Medical declarations are negligible.

Not fussed if it’s an annual multi trip or single trip policy. I have tried the main comparison sites.

Insurance is a ball ache until you need it but if we need to pay to get what I need then we will but just interested to see if anyone has looked into this in the past with similar requirements and can offer any advice or insurance companies that I should get a quote from.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at Ski Club of GB Platinum Membership. It includes all the insurance you need re destination and trip length. The family membership for your age bracket comes in at just short of £800.

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/membership/platinum-membership/
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
All US off piste within boundaries is "marked runs" if they are on a lift map.

Most insurers will cover this even some annual policies allow up to 30 days.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@chocksaway, after a lot of research and comparing different policies to get the insurance I wanted i have booked the ski club of Great Britain platinum membership. I have had to take a second policy with insurer (millstream) for the minor medical declarations.
Does seem a bit disjointed to do it this way but have been assured it’s normal for scgb and there have never been any issue.

Thank you for the heads up on the platinum membership. This is the second time you helped me this year - L’escale Blanche was another where our family had a really good meal.
Thank you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What Dave said - everything inbounds is a marked run within the USA and Canada - it actually get's a bit nuts at some places (Lake Louise I'm looking at you) where a wide open slope will have ~4 named runs side by side...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@sweaman22, Indeed. The SCGB insurance seems toppy though I note they've jacked up a hell of a lot in 2024. Hope my insurance strategy doesn't run into a nasty surprise when I renew later in the year.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MogulMonkey, Thanks! I guess there is so much compliance stuff in insurance now the SCGB just pay for a group policy and take the Commission - any add ons must be cleared with the Broker to ensure it's done properly. At least SCGB have negotiated terms and conditions that we understand and, unlike standard holiday insurance, off piste is explicitly stated.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Insurance is getting very pricey and we're stuck with it because it is kind of essential, especially in the USA. I was told earlier in the season, when the conditions weren't so great, that this was a bad season for accidents so I would expect premiums to only go up, especially from suppliers who only sell ski policies.

Last week in Hintertux I witnessed something which made me realise one reason why we are having to pay more and more. I saw a nice yellow Airbus rescue helicopter coming into land a few hundred metres off to the side of the Tuxerfernerhaus (for those who know the lie of the land) and I skied down to check it out (alpine rubber-necking I think you might call it). There was a piste basher with the victim on board meeting the heli. I assumed it was a bad one and thought about not hanging around. To my amazement, the victim then got out of the piste basher unaided, limped unaided to the helicopter and then it took off in a Mayrhofen direction, presumbly to that private clinic. Other than what looked like a hurty knee, she looked unscathed. I have no idea why the piste basher didn't just offload the victim at the nearby gondola and have them met by road ambulance if needed. Some insurance company somewhere will now have received a big bill for that 'rescue' and we are all paying for it down the line somewhere. Just another big money-go-round isn't it? Helicopters have become the new blood wagons. In my day etc etc
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
when I went to the States about 8 years ago for 3 months my Nationwode insurance extra was £350 for the trip...but it is worldwide and does include 30 days skiing and currently costs £13 /m extra on my current account...and I was over your age then
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@MogulMonkey, Amex platinum gives up to 90 consecutive days and (I think) up to age 70. Various other benefits as well (like rental car CDW) that might more than pay for the card.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Avabrunch, Seems SOP in Austria for patrol to call out the heli. One of the reasons I have AAC membership, kinda reckon that if I'm beyond self rescue won't be in much of a position to argue (though I might consider skiing down with just an upper limb)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy