Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy with a 5yo

Poster: A snowHead
Am planning a trip with my 5yo to Italy but which resort would you go for? He will be in ski school in the morning and then probably potter with him in he avo so want something with easy slopes close to the town.

Any that people would reccomend
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Choose somewhere with a decent leisure centre / swimming pool within reach. Are you going to DIY or go through a tour operator? Will you have a car?
We have found the Italian attitude towards children in Winter has been the same as our experience of the Italian attitude in Summer. Welcoming.
As a DIY trip with granddaughter we have been to Sankt Vigilio for the last 4 years (age 4 to present age 8 ).
But it isn’t a short transfer unless you can get flights to Innsbruck. And we have had a hire car.
We have found self catering mixed with eating out has suited us best with children.
But everyone is different
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I learned to ski in Selva, Val Gardena... loved it as a kid and the times I've been since.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will be DIY and will have a car - looking at maybe sauze d’oux or bardoneccia. Flying to Turin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BertIsfantastic, I'd suggest Colfosco on the Sella Ronda. Lovely wide gentle slopes underneath the Sodlisia chairlift, and at the end of the week your kid may be able to go up the Edelweiss side valley gondola and potter down with you from there. Also from Colfosco it's a short gondola ride to Corvora where there's many other easy blue runs near town. If you yourself won't be doing the entire Sella Ronda circuit then the local Alta Badia skipass should be sufficient.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BertIsfantastic,

As per Alastair Pink, though I would probably go Corvara rather than Colfosco, as the latter is tad too quiet
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cortina has everything for you and the 5 year old!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm. With a small child I'd much prefer to avoid having to upload in a gondola to get to the skiing. Corvara far more convenient and few kids will be impressed with Cortina's shopping or the ladies in mink coats.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
im thinking more alps than dolomites - got dirt cheap flights to turin (already booked) and don't fancy a massive drive with the boy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Risoul is worth a look. Despite being in France it is easily accessible from Turin. Lots of nice blues and greens leading back to the resort. Very family-friendly place.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 19-09-18 12:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BertIsfantastic, champoluc, beginners area fully redeveloped for this season. Hiked the area in summer, huge works taking place, new gondola, public pool in the centre.

And depending on when you go, a hotel might be an option, as off-peak weeks you may have skipass included if you stay at some hotels.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bardonecchia?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, do you have first hand experience of Cortina? Because if you do have, you must have seen/skied the novice/learner area that is around lift 14 in Socrepes area?

It is the best kiddies area I have ever seen on a mountain. There are also hotels and apartments that back onto it. meaning you can ski out of the back door of the properties.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alta Badia looks excellent for lots of nice easy blues (admittedly you'd have to get a lift down). Ignore me - Corvara is in the Alta Badia Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty much any resort. We went to Arabba (arraba~?) with our 5 year old as there was a cheap deal. I stressed endlessly about whether he'd get anything done as the easiest route back to town was a red.

He was fine. Had a great week. Did about 31 hours with the ski school and only cried when we had to get home and he was told he couldn't invite his ski teacher Stefano to his birthday party in the summer.

One of the best holidays we've had.
snow report
@BertIsfantastic, I love Arabba but don’t think it would suit a 5 year old so well, as the slopes near the village are not that easy.

Corvara or Colfosco would be great. I’ve seen other snowHeads comment that kids ski school costs in the Dolomites are very expensive, compared to say Austria and France, so watch out for that.
snowHead
ski holidays
...ooops, only just seen your post about cheap flights to Turin.
Is the Aosta Valley handy for there?
snowHead
ski holidays
Never been but Champoluc sounds good for beginners. 1.5 hours drive from Turin.
snowHead
snow report
I'm a Sauze fan but wouldn't recommend it with a five year old. Bit of a hike to the nursery slopes. Handy for Turin though.
ski holidays
mozwold wrote:
@BertIsfantastic,

As per Alastair Pink, though I would probably go Corvara rather than Colfosco, as the latter is tad too quiet

Either or Selva. Our four all learnt from 4/5yo with https://www.scuolasciselva.com/en/ and had great times.

Selva is our spiritual winter home. Cool
ski holidays
...and Selva has a very large beginner area but, yeah, if you're flying into Torino, maybe not.
snow conditions
ItaloSkier wrote:
...and Selva has a very large beginner area but, yeah, if you're flying into Torino, maybe not.

Yeah, a bit of a schlep from there. Not so bad with a hire car maybe?
snow report
PeakyB wrote:
Never been but Champoluc sounds good for beginners. 1.5 hours drive from Turin.
snowHead

We stayed in Gressoney with Esprit a two years ago when our girls were 7 and 10 and personally loved the ski area, but not staying in a Gressoney unless you were staying with Esprit as they were taking the children Stafal for lessons in the minibus.

Think Champoluc would be a better base if you are doing things more independently than we were.

We were very happy with he quality of instruction received there, the food in the restaurants was very good in terms of both quality and price.
snow report
Pila?
snow report
I would second Pila. Also Courmayeur has child care at the mid station might be worth a look.
latest report
Passo Tonale.
snow conditions
Pila has a nice set up and there are some good beginner runs. That said, its a quiet town up on the mountain. You can always stay in Aosta and then take the gondola up into Pila but that does involve some extra work. Courmayeur is great. No real ski in/ski out and while the ski school is good, once they progress, they might be limited in their options.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy