Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

United Airlines Ski carriage

Poster: A snowHead
So I know there are a million and one threads relating to this topic broadly but having read lots of them I think I am more uncertain than beforehand! I don't fly that often have never flown with skis before.

The situation is - looking to fly (cheaply in economy) to the US from LHR with United Airlines and take full ski gear with me inc skis and boots.

Options 1:
Boots + in hand luggage
Clothes in "suitcase"
Skis in ski bag

Option 2:
Boots + in hand luggage
Skis and clothes in large ski bag.

Can anyone explain how United Airlines would charge these two options and at what stage I would need to "book" any aspect of it?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ask them? or look it up in their baggage carriage conditions?
Almost certainly option 2 will be cheaper
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I used to fly United to the US ...I always flew

One Bag (with everthing in inc Boots)
One Ski Bag (oonly skis & poles)

This was treated as Two checked hold bags which was allowed within the weight alowance.

Only on International & Checked all the way to destination...

Traveling internal/domestic US you will pay a lot to haul ski equipment & bags.

https://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?POS=US
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If possible fly with your ski boots in your carry on if you value your boots as highly as I do.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton,

Most airlines (including BA & KLM for this winter) seem to have abolished the free baggage allowance.

It looks like it's £60 extra per checked in bag from now on... Sad

We flew from Calgary to Denver last winter with United and they charged us $30 to check in a ski bag.

We always take our boots in hand luggage anyway, plus essential ski clothes & goggles (in anticipation of our check in bag being delayed - which it has been umpteen times now, particularly when flying to the USA or Canada).

Surprise surprise- our bag was delayed for 3 days last winter between Calgary & Denver. United reimbursed us for the cost of ski rental & I also asked for (& received) the $30 baggage charge.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Bergmeister,

It is clearly stated by United for Coach/Economy Passengers

Your allowed "Two" hold Bags "Total weight 23kgs"

If you can include "Below" in your 1 or 2 hold Bags 23kg limitation your OK !!

Ski and Snowboard Equipment

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis
Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wonder why they charged us for a ski bag? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bergmeister wrote:
... Most airlines (including BA & KLM for this winter) seem to have abolished the free baggage allowance.

It looks like it's £60 extra per checked in bag from now on... Sad

We flew from Calgary to Denver last winter with United and they charged us $30 to check in a ski bag.
... .

I think you'll find that's not true for international flights outside North America.
You definitely have to watch any internal USA flights, and it's interesting that they're treating that cross-border leg that way, but transatlantic
scheduled flights don't work that way.

Even for tourist class your 23Kgs hold baggage remains free on AC, as does an additional snowboard bag (at the right time of year), if you've got that much gear to carry.

Rather like with free beer on board, where you're flying to and from matters. I'd check what the airlines say: internet forums are almost always wrong.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been looking at flights to Denver (from Newcastle) for next winter and both BA and KLM are now charging £60 return per check in bag. Only hand luggage is allowed free of charge with their new "basic economy" fares. It's all about choice and freedom, they tell me...

Looks like they're all turning into Ryanair and Easyjet more like... rolling eyes

Next they will stop the free booze and food on long haul (like BA has already done on short haul flights).

From up here it's really only BA & KLM - and not a lot else unfortunately. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bergmeister, Cheaper to just go to just go a buy a second hand pair of skis ..
Plenty of places in US Ski Resorts you can find a set fo $50 & either give them back or throw them in the dumpster when you leave..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton,

I've been to US ski resorts dozens of times and not yet seen skis for $50. I must have been to all the wrong places....

I think for my two week trip in February I might splash out the extra dollars and take my own skis. After all, I don't have the leather boots to fit the $50 second hand models.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you go on expedia or the like and look up almost any flight to/from N America you'll be offered for comparison purposes an Economy lite or similar fare without bags. Certainly the Star Alliance airlines all seem to be up to this.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Economy Lite... rolling eyes

Has a lovely marketing ring to it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If ypu can afford ridiculous lift tickets$$ food prices$$ $10 a bier in tYankeeland......just rent skis..

The US is no Budget place to ski..St Moritz is cheaper no poo-poo!!

Take me back to the 80's it was cool then no tourism
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton,

Our lift tickets are free (6 days for nowt in Vail resorts) with our 3 Valleys season passes. Very Happy and we are happy to pay the £60 to take a double ski bag with us.

We had to rent skis in Frisco last year (when our skis were delayed) and would rather not pay through the nose for rental gear.

We have nothing like an unlimited budget and (to counter your point about food prices) will be happy to eat in most nights. We need to economise somehow to pay for our skiing at Silverton in week two.

It's the skiing that counts for us! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Bergmeister wrote:
stanton, It's the skiing that counts for us! Very Happy Very Happy

Top !

Me to !
ski holidays
United have nearly always (got away with it once) charged me $100 each way on my flights with them. Even tried it on when I was medevaced a couple of years ago. Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy