Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggestions for lighter, cooler clothing for a sweaty person

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all - I was hoping for some recommendations of clothing for this season's ski trips to replace my thick and extremely hot, budget Mountain Warehouse-sourced gear.

I ski in France in the spring which means the weather tends to be on the warm side, and I'm not very good, so typically I'm exerting myself a lot correcting bad technique with brute force as well as getting up from frequent falls. This means my insulated jacket is exceptionally sweaty and I've on occasion dumped it and skied with nothing but a merino baselayer on the top for part of the day.

This is to be honest, not a good look, so I'm looking for recommendations for a jacket and bottoms combo that is far better ventilated and less moisture-retaining than what I'm currently working with. I'd much rather be cold than sweaty. Inevitably one will sweat with physical activity, but even with a wicking baselayer everything in my jacket pockets comes out drippy, which is frankly too far. Insulated salopettes are about the most uncomfortable thing I've ever worn and something more like, well, trousers, would be deeply appreciated. However I have a slight paunch and not much in the way of hips to hold them up - is this a non-starter for a man of such build? I'd also be worried that just one layer would let wet in far too easily - do single layer trousers tend to be very or only slightly waterproof?

Looking steezy is (obviously) vital - I'm a single man in the early 30s (early - honest). I don't personally see myself in grungy, baggy seasonnaire-style gear but at the same time the figure-hugging primary colours of stockbrokers isn't right either. Looking conspicuously like a British tourist (even though I am) is generally something to be avoided. SOP for the group I'm with is to aprés - in town, as well on the mountain - in ski gear.

I'm happy to pay a premium for quality gear that does what I want and will get many years' use.

Summary of priorities in order of mention:
- Cooling/ventilation
- External wet resistance ('wet' = rain or snow)
- Durable in falls and general careless faffing about
- Steeze
- Price
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norrona.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is probably what you need

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I've on occasion dumped it and skied with nothing but a merino baselayer on the top for part of the day.

This is to be honest, not a good look

And not only that, it could get you arrested. Davidof's mankini is preferable.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
... Davidof's mankini is preferable.

In YOUR opinion! spoo

Fortunately, that’s about as much separation as it can handle.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Get Gortex but unfortunately it’s not cheap Ski with just Gortex and merino base layers
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You need to check your current gear
Stat with the base layer - how is it weighted? You may want to start with a lightweight base layer
Next you want a midlayer that keeps you suitably warm
Finally what are the ratings on your outerwear? being warmer weather with wet snow, you may want to go for something with a higher breathability/waterproof - usually the higher the breathability, the less insulation.
I have Planks Yeti gear (rated 20k breathability & waterproof) - there is no warmth or insulation from the jacket & there are ventilation zips that run from under the arm all the way to around the lower ribs
If you get a breeze of cold wind, you can feel it! great for that instant cool down.
So I rely on my mid layers to keep me warm (sometimes just a fleece, sometimes a fleece & zip jacket)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I also run hot and find a long sleeve merino top and shell jacket is warm enough.

You need to be looking for jacket and pants with lots of ventilation. Especially underarm zips for jackets. All the main ski brands have such Norrona, Mammut, Arcteryx, Haglofs, Houdini, Peak Performance. Also check Stellar Equipment.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Forget all that insulated nonsense for a start.

Layering is where its at, and you can make an informed decision based on the conditions.

Good quality jacket shell, goretex or similar with ventilation - pit zips etc.

Similar with the trousers.

Merino base layers, top and bottom - advantage is, if you sweat they will soak up and remove from your skin.

Your jacket may come with a mid layer, if so you can decide to zip it in or not, depending on the conditions.

Your new setup might actually be too cold - stuff another merino in a small rucksack and you can make decisions on the go.

To be honest, if you are sweating due to fitness, the biggest thing you can do is get yourself fit ahead of your trip..........
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@86tomw, merino base layers, mid layers, Norrona shell jacket. 3/4 merino leggings Norrona shell over, all goretex. Not best time of year to buy now though but look on Norrona outlet for last years bargains.

Avoid synthetic layers. Merino buff too a good idea.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lessons?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just bought a Salomon jacket for the same reason

Super lightweight, waterproof, stretchy, bargain.

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/mens-c4/waterproof-jackets-c25/salomon-mens-la-cote-stretch-2-5l-p6967

Something like this from all the major brands is the direction you're looking.

No need to pay more than £200 for both jacket and pants.

Always good value for money choices here

https://www.sportpursuit.com/

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So 2018s colour was obviously yellow, it started off more mustard but as the months went by, the shades became lighter and brighter. Next year's colour looks like it will be green, maybe Cuban revolutionary green rather than lime or aqua. So I've picked out this half price bargain from Kjus, the Norwegian hei hei end fashion outlet.
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1488089?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6NTk4LCJwYWdlIjoxLCJwYWdlU2l6ZSI6MzQsInBvcyI6MX0= you'll need to log in.

Pesto and Citronelle, so not fully committing to green just in case, but vibrant yellow too, so very in right now. It has a 2-step eyewear cleaning bag for your 2-step eyewear and a large upper sleeve radio pocket for stashing your croissants.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Shell jacket is the way to go. Another vote for sport pursuit for quality goretex kit at reduced prices. Layers of merino underneath.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gortex Hard shell jacket. Make sure it has Under arm zips and a sleave pocket for your lift pass!!!
Same for trousers. Get ones with side zips and internal gators to go over your ski boots.
Then Icebreaker leggings and tops
snow report
Why do Muppet manufacturers still make insulated ski jackets? When you can flog punters a tech shell and a mid puffy/hybrid it even makes economic sense.
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Why do Muppet manufacturers still make insulated ski jackets? When you can flog punters a tech shell and a mid puffy/hybrid it even makes economic sense.

I dont think that any manufacturer that does this actually understands either the sport or the buyer.

Wouldnt even call it style over substance.

These are "winter" jackets unsuitable for anything other than a walk to the pub or standing at a bus stop between the months of November and February, IMO.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, tends to be high street brands that don’t understand the sport. That said there must be plenty of folk who spend the bulk of their time sliding about trying to keep warm so it’s good sense to them I guess.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, Most race stuff is insulated.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:

Yeah but that's for the standing around aspect not the skiing. It's a pretty poor model to copy for rec skiers.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, tends to be high street brands that don’t understand the sport. That said there must be plenty of folk who spend the bulk of their time sliding about trying to keep warm so it’s good sense to them I guess.

I'm not so sure. Brands like Dare2b or Trespass have been around enough to know what is what. I think there is still a public perception among the casual punters that a winter coat is padded ergo a ski jacket needs to be. Fine for kids walking to school in all weathers but not for physical activity.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:

My catsuit certainly isn’t!
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I think it’s more that Trespass et al., are targeting the market who ski one week a year, and have “ski” clothing.

Which is somewhat 1980...

I will confess that until I got the layering idea, my last ski kit was insulated SOS. Shocked

(Pretty eff-ing cool in its day though. “Skiwear for Skiers” (- who like the DWR of a teabag).)
snow report
I disagree with your rubbishing of insulated kit . There are plenty of reasons why its appropriate wear for most skiers.
latest report
@86tomw, if going straight on to aprés in ski gear then you might not want to be carting a rucksack around with you. Insulated jacket & salopettes, both with plenty of pockets and plenty of ventilation (i.e. pit zips and leg zips), might be better for you.
ski holidays
@Roguevfr, disagree away. It’s only (my) an opinion. Oh, and please provide quantified arguments as to why it is appropriate and/or recommended for anyone, let alone most skiers?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@Roguevfr, disagree away. It’s only (my) an opinion. Oh, and please provide quantified arguments as to why it is appropriate and/or recommended for anyone, let alone most skiers?

I run hot & ski 4-5 weeks a year, the insulated jacket with nothing but a cotton tshirt underneath works for me in warmer weather, zip up when I'm cold, zip down to instantly cool off, layering is a total pia for me, removing & replacing layers is too slow & too much of a faff, it's like being a snowboarder but worse Toofy Grin I never have a problem with cotton base layers, I hate being sweaty so much that I always open zips to cool off before I get too sweaty.
latest report
I regularly wear an insulated jacket - makes loads of sense for me - usually on first lift at 8am when it can be really cold, chuck it on over the top of base/mid layer.

When the sun gets over the ridges and it warms up, I just take the jacket off chuck it in the back of the truck and do the rest of the day in a sweatshirt. Simples Very Happy

If I had to carry it round all day however, I would be going for a shell and layers.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I regularly wear an insulated jacket - makes loads of sense for me - usually on first lift at 8am when it can be really cold, chuck it on over the top of base/mid layer.

When the sun gets over the ridges and it warms up, I just take the jacket off chuck it in the back of the truck and do the rest of the day in a sweatshirt. Simples Very Happy

If I had to carry it round all day however, I would be going for a shell and layers.
snow report
I very rarely have to change my layers. My usual insulation is an Arcteryx Atom, which is remarkably broad in its thermal properties. If I know it's going to be colder I'll add a layer or go heavier with a thick pile fleece.

I don't think of myself as running particularly hot or cold but I do sweat quite a bit and the problem with cotton is that once it gets wet, you get cold.

One problem with most insulated ski jackets is that they are obviously ski jackets and that somewhat (to me at least) constrains them from other purposes.

And built in insulation can't be taken out (yes, I know 3 in 1s, etc.) nor detached when sitting in a chilly restaurant...

Shells and layers can be more generally useful.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

I don't think of myself as running particularly hot or cold but I do sweat quite a bit and the problem with cotton is that once it gets wet, you get cold..

I find this is an advantage, I sweat because I am too hot, sweat is there to cool me down, it's pointless wasting good sweat if you don't cool down. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@86tomw, ...if the OP hasn’t died of boredom it might be an idea to talk of different approaches to this perennial problem.

Firstly, insulated jackets are not barking mad, they should be used in the right conditions. I wouldn’t wear my insulated gear in Spring but I need it in deep winter at resorts equipped only with chairs. Saying ‘norrona’ is a bit odd to someone who says they are on a budget.

Approach 1: layers with gore tex outer as waterproofing. Not optimum for the OP since he is talking of spring skiing. Also not optimum in all conditions eg when there’s high humidity outside eg in cloudy conditions. It’s all about water pressure gradients, and gore t can get pretty clammy at times. But of course I wear GT in certain conditions on certain days.

Approach 2: layers, but not wholly waterproof, inner furry concept which relies on wicking sweat away from the body swiftly, but with a not-strictly-waterproof outer. Brands: buffalo, rab vapour rise system, paramo, etc. I use this in the Spring: paramo can be heavy but this system works well - the velez smock allows lots of zipping options which would help the venting the op needs.

Approach 2 clothi tends to be a bit heavier and less well-cut but function is good. Approach 1 GT can lose a lot of function when it gets dirty, and can be tricky to re-proof properly.
latest report
Quote:

I'm happy to pay a premium for quality gear that does what I want and will get many years' use.

@valais2, Does that say he's looking for budget clothing, I didnt read it like that.......your comment below?

Quote:

Saying ‘norrona’ is a bit odd to someone who says they are on a budget.

Personally on reflection if was
@86tomw, i'd be buying a good pair of goretex shell pants to be worn over thin merino leggins and a soft shell to be worn over merino base layer. Also buy a goretex shell and leave in my rucksack for if the weather chews up a bit throughout the day and there's a storm/ temperature drop etc.

@86tomw, there's plenty on line bargains if you search around. Personally i've never done the TK Maxx thing, I always buy out of season and last seasons stuff, and trawl the internet. There were some decent deals at Ellis Brigham a couple of weeks ago when I called into Casvegas, not sure if its same elsewhere. My advice is to avoid new stocks and look on bargain rails, there's always stuff there ime if you are flexible.
snow conditions
No mention of soft shells? No insulation, more breathable than a hard shell (yes, even an expensive Goretex one), and plenty warm enough for spring. Wear over a merino base layer with a breathable mid layer if necessary.

For trousers, I second the Goretex hard shell over leggings if its cold. Soft shell trousers are a fast way to a soggy bum Confused
ski holidays
I’ve found Polartec Neoshell to be highly breathable and excellent for wearing on the slopes it keeps cold wind out and kicks Gore into touch with regard to breath-ability..
snow report
@Markymark29, ...that’s true...it just felt that going from Dare2Be to Norrona is a hell of a jump even when the OP said that a premium was being considered....but hey, he may not faint when he sees Norrona prices. (But my guess is that he probably will).

Softshell can be approach 1 or approach 2 I think, it’s not really a separate category?

MarkyMark you are right re bargains - I just buy things when I see them, not when I need them. Lesser brands can be exceptionally good - Sherpa (I have some excellent 3 and 2 ply GT jacket from them); Peak Performance (those guys really know about ski gear - I keep this quiet and scoop up the massively reduced stuff.. damn it’s out now ...); and Bergans of Norway (weird flow of used stuff from Latvia...no idea why...).
snow report
I usually wear shell jacket and pants, with appropriate layers underneath. Options for layers include nylon compression base layers, merino wool base layers, thin fleece or soft-shell mid-layers, and down insulated mid-layers. I think that typically that's a better option than an insulated jacket and pants, but I also have a highly insulated down outer-layer jacket for when it gets proper cold. Last season the temperature range was quite extreme, skiing from as cold as -28 plus windchill in December and March to as warm as +18 in April. A temperature range of 46 degrees centigrade makes a lot of demands on your ski wardrobe.
snow report
Hands down the most durable kit I've had the past 5 seasons is

Older, red version of this Quechua jacket
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/forclaz-400-mens-waterproof-jacket-black-id_8302503.html

Bonfire Seymour pants
https://www.the-house.com/bo4sym02ir14zz-bonfire-snowboard-pants.html

£60 each for a total spend of £120

If it can cope with Welsh skiing it can cope with anything. And it has.
snow conditions
Quote:

Shell jacket is the way to go. Another vote for sport pursuit for quality goretex kit at reduced prices. Layers of merino underneath.

this. plus shell trousers if you don't like bibs.

You didn't give a budget but even at a good price goretex shell jacket and trousers is likely to total £400+.
There are cheaper alternatives (generally the own label goretex alternatives from reputable clothing brands) that could get you down to £250-300 and would be very nearly as good for your purposes.
latest report
[quote="jedster"]
Quote:

this. plus shell trousers if you don't like bibs.

You didn't give a budget but even at a good price goretex shell jacket and trousers is likely to total £400+.
There are cheaper alternatives (generally the own label goretex alternatives from reputable clothing brands) that could get you down to £250-300 and would be very nearly as good for your purposes.[/quote

It's a good point - stuff like goretex proshell is probably overkill for skiing alone except in all but the wettest snow climates like the Pac NW (and even then it wets out after a time). The requirements of a proper British fell walking day are a bit of a sterner test than most days you'll actually want to be skiing. I'm currently running Paclite shell with a hybrid primaloft jactket as insulation layer when required. The 20,000 mm stuff from the punter manufacturers like D2b etc is also more than adequate if you accept that there is some trade off in long term durability of seams etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy