Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zugspitze Cable Car badly damaged

Poster: A snowHead
A cabin of the new Zugspitze cable car was severely damaged during an emergency exercise. The Zugspitze is the highest mountain in Germany and shares a border with Austria at the summit. See report: https://www.dw.com/en/accident-paralyzes-zugspitze-cable-car/a-45486129

Fortunately no-one was injured, but the new cable car is expected to be out of operation for several months.

Shocked
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow, some exercise Shocked At least nobody was injured.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Apparently during the exercise a rescue carrier broke loose due to a broken chain hoist and crashed into the 120 passenger tramway cabin below at high speed! Skullie

Just as well they decided not to have any employees in the cabin during the exercise! Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just before the Zugspitz Oktoberfest
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This is a perfect example of why ‘you’ carry out every possible test on new installations during commissioning. If this had happened during a real life rescue, it doesn’t bear thinking about.......

The incident doesn’t make much sense to me though, as I would have expected a rescue sled to be self braking under normal use. Maybe the sled dropped onto the cables as it was being loaded, somehow hooked on and decended zip wire style. I can image some choice German expletives been expressed at this point.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PowderAdict wrote:
I can image some choice German expletives been expressed at this point.

"Scheisse!!" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict, they are still trying to figure out why the chain holding the rescue car broke. According to the technical lead of the Zugspitzbahn it was dimensioned to hold a load many times that of the rescue car. Also they currently have no idea how to get the damaged cabin back onto the load carrying cables. It's hanging in the steepest section of the cable at 45°. No helicopter would be able to lift such a load... It's going to be a number of months before this is sorted out! I do find it surprising that the rescue car was not self braking. I guess someone is going to be rethinking the whole concept now!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang, only when I looked at a photo of the undamged car could I work out what was what in the above photo.
Wow. Even the main hanger arm of the cabin looks bent.
As you say, how the fcuk do they get the cabin down.
And there is no way that cabin is fixable. I suspect a new one wil be made by the time they clear the debris. Cutting it up piece by piece may be the only option
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking at the photo, the cable carriage is also badly damaged so it's not just a case of getting it back on the cables.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chinook job or one of those Russian oil rig lifting choppers?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
embarrassing!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
Since salvage by helicopter is impossible, the salvage concept now plans to bring the damaged cable car cabin including the basket to the mountain station and dismantle it there
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cut the cable and let gravity take care of the rest Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
nope, not big enough.
musher wrote:
Since salvage by helicopter is impossible, the salvage concept now plans to bring the damaged cable car cabin including the basket to the mountain station and dismantle it there
How? The trolley rollers are no longer on the support cables (although I assume the trolley must be resting on there), so they first have to get the trolley fully back onto the support cables. Tricky!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A bit off topic, but this incident, and the fire in Chamonix, got me thinking how easy it would be to virtually cripple a resort with the failure of just one lift.

At St Anton, if Galzigbahn was not available, it would cause a huge disruption. The only way up to the Galzig, and all it accesses, would be via the Gampen (ie Gampenbahn or Nassereinbahn) and then Zammermoos. Gampenbahn and Zammermoos would choke at peak times.

Having Nassereinbahn unavailable would also have a significant impact. Access to the Kapall would only be possible via Mattunbahn or the Gampenbahn - a major reduction in capacity. Anybody staying in Nasserein would need to do the "baby lift shuffle" to Gampenbahn, or catch the Linie 4 bus to West Terminal.

None of this bears thinking about!
snow report
Quote:

nope, not big enough.

how much do these cabins weigh?
snow report
@leggyblonde, 15 tonnes apparently
snow report
@Steilhang, Shocked blimey. Some serious problem solving is needed!
snow report
@ulmerhutte, The Zugspitze is still reachable via the train that goes right through the mountain and brings you out directly in the ski area. They are thinking about ways to operate the cable car with just one car. I suspect they will have something going by the beginning of the winter season, but yes, it's a bit of a disruption!
ski holidays
@Steilhang, yeah, I am not familiar with Zugspitze, but it is the thought that got me. As it is, I will arrive in St Anton on the weekend of the FIS Women's Downhill. That will cause some disruption to recreational skiers, like me.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
nope, not big enough.
musher wrote:
How? The trolley rollers are no longer on the support cables (although I assume the trolley must be resting on there), so they first have to get the trolley fully back onto the support cables. Tricky!

The trolley looks like it is also mangled
latest report

A Chinook can lift about 11 tonnes, depending on altitude. If they stripped out enough of the car it might get the weight low enough. However, it is probably deemed too risky to put any staff on the car in case it breaks free entirely.
ski holidays
Thunderbird 2 is the answer, surely?
snow report
WiRED wrote:

F.A.B.
snow conditions
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x296e1u

Fast forward to 39.30
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
@ulmerhutte, The Zugspitze is still reachable via the train that goes right through the mountain and brings you out directly in the ski area. They are thinking about ways to operate the cable car with just one car. I suspect they will have something going by the beginning of the winter season, but yes, it's a bit of a disruption!

It's even better than that - there's still the other cable car up from the Austrian side (Ehrwald), this was a relatively new addition from Eibsee on the German side, so I doubt it'll affect the skiing there that much even if they can't run it at all. Plus this took you right up to the summit - great for the summer tourists wanting to get to the highest point in Germany, not so great for skiers, as the skiing is slightly lower on the glacier, so if you take this up, you then have to take another one back down a little way to the glacier, but the train takes you direct to the glacier.
snow report
Bob wrote:
WiRED wrote:

F.A.B.

Was about to post a quip that international rescue used to be the answer but see I've been beaten to it Very Happy
ski holidays
Makes me think "what the fcuk is going on"

In all the years that I have been skiing it was virtually unheard of for a ski lift to fail yet more recently there have been several incidents

I wonder if perhaps there is a lack of maintenance or are there other factors to consider
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like the plan is to pull it up to the gondola station, hope it doesn't break loose and drop.

http://youtube.com/v/DhAMauRED7s
snow report
Like everything else these days, news is immediate so you here about all the accidents not just the occasional one.
latest report
from: https://www.vol.at/nach-unfall-an-zugspitzbahn-seilbahnkabine-geborgen/5933474

Google translate says:
Just over a week after the accident on the Zugspitz cable car, experts have recovered the damaged cabin. It was brought to the mountain station on Friday morning, as the Bavarian Zugspitzbahn in Garmisch-Partenkirchen announced.

The cabin had been pulled at a speed of ten centimeters per second about 280 meters up. "We are very relieved. The first important step has been taken, "said Martin Hurm, Operations Manager Cable Cars and Zugspitze lifts.
snow report
From the Zugspitze damage images : one way to access the car!!! Shocked
snow report
How ironic that tonight’s film on ITV2 should be that Snowheads favourite and all round winter classic ‘where Eagles Dare’. Famous for its cable car scene as well as a cracking plot and arguably the best opening sequence ever made.

The closing scene at ‘Oberhausen airfield’ has the Zugspitze (I think) as the snow covered back drop to the JU 52 escape. Cool
latest report
@Peter S, Very Happy Must have seen it a dozen times... and will watch it again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy