Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Honeymoon

Poster: A snowHead
Eeek! I echo comments above...Do not even think about teaching her yourself...even if you are a talented and knowledgable skier....at best she will start cursing you through gritted teeth and at worst..it could end in tears and in an argument. Sorry...but it will...The consequences to friendships and relationships of the oft heard words “Don’t worry, you’ll be fine..” as you stand at the top of a blue run, which to you looks easy, but to a beginner with burning thighs looks like the north face of the Eiger, should not be underestimated! Very Happy

Skiing from Courchevel 1650 to VT for a week 1 skier would be EXTREMELY challenging. I know the area well and which would be the easiest route to take, but if you don’t know the terrain, the likely conditions and the timing to get there and back, it could be very difficult, though if she was prepared to download on a couple of the lifts on the way over, it would be a bit easier. Thankfully there is much to explore on the Courchevel area as a whole, with a connecting bus service, so no risk of not getting back to your hotel if you end up in 1850 or La Tania.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dperry3, if you decide on Courchevel the valley towns (Moutiers, Albertville, Bourg St Maurice etc) can be a bit dreary in winter - they are not really set up with tourists in mind. But if you are into "activities" there are plenty of alternatives to skiing: see http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/activities-ac57.html.

Unless your fiancée picks things up really quickly I wouldn't bother with VT. My wife stuck with Courchevel 1850/1550/1650 for 3-4 years before we ventured further afield - but you can still have a great time in a more limited area. You can easily go to Meribel by gondola for an alternative day out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Portetta is absolutely lovely, really nice atmosphere, great food and very comfortable feel to it plus all the extras like spa etc. There are also lots of small local restaurants and bars for a really "local" mountain feel if you wish for a change. There is loads of skiing for all at 1650 so not a bad place to start what will hopefully become a lifetime shared passion.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dperry3, Consider Serre Chevalier this season, as you already have experience of it. Lots to do beside skiing...snow-shoeing, hot baths, Unesco listed old town in Briancon, easy access to Italy, to Turin, Michelin starred restaurant, ice-climbing, Snowheads in residence, ready to offer advice on instruction. And hundreds of kilometers of great skiing. No brainer.
Then when your future wife falls in love with whole area, save up and buy an apartment.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is nothing romantic about Val Thorens and Courchevel 1650.

They are French concrete eyesores.

Go to Italy or Switzerland.

Try Zermatt, Wengen, or Cortina.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
True 1650 is something of an eyesore but the Portetta is lovely with a huge patio out front looking straight up the mountain, south(ish) facing so gets the sun nearly all day, they have lighted flares on the patio as it gets towards dusk, they do outdoor barbecuing on suitable days and they have big fires inside. I believe they share ownership/management with one of the first class hotels in the New Forest!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
plan on spending £££££ on special treats (spa, dinners, suite with fireplace, that daft horse & cart ride thing, sled dogging)
I would think dogging on a honeymoon would be a special treat indeed Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FFIRMIN wrote:
... but the Portetta is lovely with a huge patio out front looking straight up the mountain, south(ish) facing so gets the sun nearly all day, they have lighted flares on the patio as it gets towards dusk, they do outdoor barbecuing on suitable days and they have big fires inside. I believe they share ownership/management with one of the first class hotels in the New Forest!

… and not forgetting a menu influenced / directed by a Michelin-starred chef.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Reminds me of when we tried teaching our mate to snowboard and we ended up not talking to each other all afternoon. The apres made us friends again but I wouldn't dream of doing this for a honeymoon - no way José!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Having taken a non-skiing ex-girlfriend away to learn, and another girlfriend who claimed she could ski well but could not really, and having taken several other new learners to the slopes no way would I do what you suggest. Unless of course you want your honeymoon to be memorable for the tears, and tantrums. Moreover do NOT attempt to teach her to ski - it's years since you last went skiing, you are not in a position to teach.

Get two ski holidays under your belt this season. And then decide whether or not you want to take a skiing honeymoon.

The only exception is if she is a serious horserider and a nutter with it. In which case, still get one holiday under your belt.

My top tip for beginners is to find another couple (or two) where one half skis and the other half doesn't. Then book a private instructor for the mornings (all six days) for the beginners. That way the fun and cost is spread, and you don't spend a week going at 0 miles per hour all day on green runs. Two days' lessons will NOT be enough to get her skiing properly.

Of course, it's your honeymoon, so do what you want, and please don't let me get in the way of your plans. After all, I don't know either you or your fiancée. But I do think your honeymoon will be really, truly, awful. If you really want to spend "a nice sum of money" on it, then please do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just another few thoughts from someone who was taken on a skiing honeymoon for only my second time skiing on snow (and only limited dry slope experience from years before). It was fantastic. We went to Zermatt, which (although I know you currently favour France) I would seriously encourage you to look at as providing a combination of wonderful scenery, fantastic hotels, great food on and off the slopes, and very good access to the slopes for non skiers, or maybe learners like your fiancee who might fancy a morning off in the spa and join you for lunch for example.
I do agree some lessons for her from an instructor would be good - I would be lying if I didn't admit to one or two tense moments when my new husband thought it would be 'character building' to take me down some slopes I wasn't quite ready for!
Overall though it was a huge success, fuelled a love of skiing (and Zermatt) that continues to this day, many years and three children after the honeymoon.
I would say go for it, wherever you eventually decide to stay, but other options such as winter walking, spas, other outdoor activities which I know Zermatt has (as do many other places) would be good. Finally, my husband (who organised it all) was toying between a French mega resort and Zermatt as a destination. I have had great holidays in French mega resorts but I'm glad he opted for Zermatt for the honeymoon!
Hope you have a wonderful time and many happy years skiing ahead of you!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dperry3 wrote:
Apologies if this is in the wrong sub-forum.

I'm getting Married in October 2019 and my future wife and I have decided that we want to go skiing for our honeymoon, we're just having undecisive thoughts on the resort we want to go to.
I have multiple years of skiing experience, but these were partially from the age of 10-18 when I lived in France. I'm now 29, so it's been a while. My partner has 0 skiing experience.

We have been giving quite a nice sum of money from our parents and (at the moment) we have no children. So we are wanting to make this honeymoon as special and luxurious as possible. We see it as our last chance to do something like this for a long time, as we are wanting to try for children after the honeymoon.

We're wanting to go as "early" as possible. Preferably in early January 2020.

At the moment there are 2 hotels we have found which have given us that WOW feeling Koh-I-Nor and Le Portetta, but they are in 2 different resorts. Val Thorens and Courchevel

The hotel we prefer is in Courchevel, but I'm worried that if we go there in early January there will be little snow. Val Thorens, however, does say it's guaranteed to have snow then.
My plan at the moment is to try and explore as much as possible, via the ski lift and slopes etc... We love awesome high-point views. I'm just hoping my partner is able to pick up skiing as quickly as I did (I'm confident she will), to be able to do this. We also both like a good drink and dance (if we're not tired enough), so we are also looking at resorts with some good after ski/nightlife.

Tthe point of my post is to really to find out which resort would be more recommended for us or if anyone has any other resorts, which might be more suitable for our need and the time we wanting to go skiing.

Grateful to anyone wanting to help me plan a trip of a lifetime! Merci!

Hi Dperry3,

Huge congratulations on the coming nuptials! Just going to add my 2 cents to this if I may. My wife and I actually got engaged in Zermatt a few years back so it defiantly has the wow and romance factor. I think you might find the Koh in Val T a little bit under par if you are looking for something truly special. I love Val T as a resort but think it might miss the mark for a honeymoon.

The guys at the Mont Cervin Palace in Zermatt really know how to tick the boxes. The rooms are very special, spa is one of the best in town and, if you get the package deals, the restaurants are quite something....Michelin star etc.

Add into this mountain restaurants like Findlerhof, Zum See, Chez Vrony, Fluhalp etc you are spoilt for choice of romantic and very special places to spend a few hours over lunch. Top that off with a bottle of Ruinart at Elsies Bar in town you have a perfect day!

I think its the perfect resort for a honeymoon. Happy to help with further recommendations if I can.

Good luck!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Dperry3, As you're considering "further east", don't forget that the most romantic Alpine film (including "Chalet Girl") is "The Sound of Music". Resorts for a honeymoon that might be an improvement on an expensive, French, purpose-built ski station include Alpbach (prettiest resort in Austria) and Zell am See (beautiful, lakeside town), with the possibility of a day in that magical city, Salzburg (easy rail links), where you can dress as a nun and a goatherd respectively and go on a S.O.M. tour, or do a few Mozart-related things. You're unlikely to meet anyone who doesn't speak fluent English, and the Austrian ski villages offer all sorts of romantic alternatives to skiing - sleigh rides, tobogganing, snow shoe walking, etc. Also the Tauern Spa at Kaprun. Just a thought.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, I'm going to throw another option at you - Canada. Jasper and Jasper Park Lodge , maybe a couple of nights at the Emerald Lake Lodge on the way
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Okay going to chuck my two cents in.

Girlfriend now fiancé is very sporty, loves racing road bikes down hill as well as up, can run a million miles and goes hiking in the mountains etc.

I was in the same position as you skied 10 years ago loved it could hold myself together. Nearly went on to try and make a living of it but got distracted by trying to row.

She really struggled and kind of disliked it. Although she just about wants to go again.

She really struggled with skiing particularly the altitude above about 2000m in the cold. I stress this as it was the combination of the two she can handle each separately.

What I forgot was as a kid I would just ignore it all chuck myself down the mountain and have a laugh. As an adult it is harder to ignore, also without being sexist if your read these forums woman tend to get the self preservation instinct a bit more again making it harder.

Why she wants to go again the ski chalet fun, it was great to go skiing then come back to make friends with some random strangers and go to the pub. Also it meant she met a range of skiers, who showed her that there are different types of skiers she doesn’t have to be a slightly nutty all day charger like me. This probably saved our relationship and I actually texted one of them after we got engaged, due to what a difference they made.

Finally do not coach her! I made that mistake and it kind of worked but your significant other feels that they can shout and argue with you in a way that they wouldn’t an instructor. To the extent that when my friend coached her it went far better, but an instructor was better than this.

Just To add the random people in the chalet saw me coaching her and actually commended me in the evening when they saw me for keeping so calm as she launched a ski pole at me. Also that she was skiing well so something was going right.

So my advice before you go on a honeymoon, go on a ski holiday, if you can go on a cheap budget chalet holiday, go around March when it is a bit warmer, and get her some morning lessons while you are there. While she is there trying to learn go and ski with your new chalet buddies and meet up in the evening. Then to go on the honeymoon ski holiday if she enjoys it.

Sorry about the rambling.
snow report
@Dperry3, picking up on one of your earlier comments.

I’ve skied in many parts of the world for over 30 years. I’m fortunate to be able to make 5 or 6 trips most seasons.

Nevertheless, for a honeymoon with a non skier, your alternative of New Zealand would win hands down. January is a great time to visit and the experience is unforgettable.

If still insisting on Courchevel v Val Thorens, the former is easily the best choice. But if no constraint on costs, there are many places I’d choose before those, in Austria, Italy, Switzerland.

It’s possible to ski to Val T and back from Courchevel Moriond 1650. Doable for a strong intermediate, without much hanging around. Not feasible for a first week skier though.

As some others have suggested, an indoor snow slope would be far better than a dry slope.

Good luck and congrats.
snowHead
snow report
I'm not sure why I'm even reading this as I'm hardly qualified, but Zermatt sounds like a hood choice. Reasons: it's a year-round resort with real charm, it has great food, is car free, and the ski area is probably well set up for what you're likely to want.
French places don't strike me as hugely romantic, but Courchevel has 12 Michelin starred restaurants so there is that. If the fact that it has an airstrip is relevant then there are places I'd rather go, but it probably isn't.

Jasper? I spend a lot of time in BC, but Marmot Basin doesn't strike me as hugely romantic. More typical places for such things might be be Lake Louise (the Post House Hotel) or I suppose Banff, where the Banff Springs is hard to avoid, expensive, and actually not great.

Taos (The St Bernard) would be a good place, but probably not for a beginner and it's tough to get to. Maybe it doesn't matter than much, precisely where you go.
snow conditions
Friend of mine actually got married at summit of Killington Vermont.
As he says "it was all down hill from there"
....then they got divorced Smile
I'll be here all season folks !!
snow report
I see Zermatt has popped up...not the best place for a beginner in some ways, but in terms of wow factor, it has it in spades. Depending on how deep your pockets are, we stayed at the Hotel Matterhorn Focus in one of their really amazing rooms. Our “mini moon” was in early November, so it wasn’t as stupidly expensive as the main season. But...if you can afford it, and by that I mean one of the better rooms, it would be hard to beat!
ski holidays
@Dperry
Gamsbock is spot on...and she is giving you REALLY good advice!
Skiing with your better half is amazing and you don’t need to be at the same level to enjoy it, but if your future wife is a complete beginner when you go on the honeymoon you will not be able to ski together unless you hang out on the nursery slopes with her.
Skiing from Courchevel to VT for a complete beginner? You’re not realistic...and if this is your expectation both you and the future wife are possibly going to be a bit disappointed.
snow report
@Dperry3, I think this is a very romantic idea and am sure you will both have a brilliant time! A couple of thoughts and suggestions based on my experience:
1. It IS possible to learn to ski with friends/partners. I did a combination of figuring it out on my own (i.e. abandoned every morning half way up a mountain in Klosters every morning for a week), tips from friends, and skiing with my girlfriend (now wife). It worked to an extent, I could get down anything on the mountain safely after a couple of seasons. BUT is has cost me a fortune since in time and money to correct all the bad habits I formed as a result! If your partner takes to skiing, be prepared to invest in proper lessons early in her career is my advice.
2. Serre Chevalier would be a good option. Try and get accommodation in the old town parts of the resorts as they are quite atmospheric. A great alternative would be to stay in Briancon itself, it is a very romantic, old and pretty town with lots of nice restaurants and bars. You can access the skiing from just outside town and it would be a ideal for a mix if skiing and non-skiing days.
3. Great idea to get an instructor for the first two days or so. If it were me, though, I would book a private instructor for your partner for a few mornings rather than a couple of full days (learning to ski is exhausting!) It will work better if you leave her to it on those mornings, she will advance much more quickly with 121 instruction without the distraction of you being there all the time! And the instructor can full focus on getting her up to speed. Nice breakfast, 2-3 hours of instruction for your partner, then meet up for a romantic lunch on the mountain followed by a walk/visit to another village, or more skiing if you feel like it sounds like a fun way to spend a honeymoon to me!
4. Despite some suggestions above, ski school would be a very bad idea for your situation. No least because it locks you down to a schedule every day and limits your flexibility. Private instruction is definitely the way to go.

Good luck!
snow conditions
@philwig,

Jasper Park Lodge is really romantic. Rooms in little cabins, fireplaces in rooms, remote from rest of town. Big horn sheep, wolves and we saw a lynx. Cross country skiing across frozen lake at front of hotel. Maligne canyon. Maybe some dog sledding. Drive to jasper in winter is magical and its way less touristy than LL or Banff. Whilst the post inside is nice, its basically just off a major highway and no views. Park lodge is more of a destination in itself
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy