Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bonneval from le fornet run....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
am in the space killy this new year and am looking at the possibility of doing the run to bonneval sir arc from the top of the front with a guide, any recommendations / thoughts ?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either do a day of Heli (you are allowed to be picked up and brought back) or expect a very expensive cab ride.

https://www.seevaldisere.com/flying/val-heliski-val-d-isere-centre-701802
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No but I’d very much like to know how you get on with that particular route. Pics pls! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ajc2260626, its a good day out - bearing in mind that a lot of the descent is sunnyside whether it is really fun or not will depend a lot on snow conditions (safety obviously is another matter altogether..) - though the heli-bump is obviously questionable from an environmental standpoint...
Speak to the guides bureaux when you are there and they will soon tell you whether it is a goer or not - will depend on snow & weather.
If you/they can put together a group of 4 then it works out reasonably cost effective...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A lot of the adventure ski schools do it, so a decent off piste instructor is fine too. Prepare for a cost north of €300
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i want to do the run down and the chopper back, there will be between 2 and 4 of us, we have two people who would deffo do it so would then look for a couple of more to join us, although not a deal breaker if its just two of us.......
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have done it a few times. There are a couple of different routes, but as @offpisteskiing, says. It is sunny side so snow quality is most important. It can be a reasonably straight forward ski so you do not have to be an expert off piste skier to do this. But you are a long way from anywhere so need to be confident. One time we did it the cheap way. Bus and train back to Bourg. Took ages, but cheaper. If you can afford it Heli is the way to go. Enjoy the trip.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, I like your thinking. Just got out my old record...late Feb 2005. "Wed;Superb;Bonneval;Xcellent snow.Lunch at nice caff overlooking street; VG off-piste in resort at south end looking towards Italy; heli back using red medi-chopper based at la Daille which helps pay its costs" I think our Guide was Phillipe and someone must have booked him from Guide Office. He was quite adventurous and really on our wavelength. We did it once before and again had heli return but that time in a fairly old rattly one. Dropped us on top of Solaise both times.Interestingly, the commencement was at Col des back bottoms......funny I should remember that...

Great memory you have raised, thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ye gods, this set-up is super clinical. Col des back bottoms is really, in French,Col des...short English word meaning the same thing and beginning with A.... but I guess it still won't get by the checker. I never asked for the translation, I just locked it in memory. I guess Associates of the Royal Society of Electrical Surveyors must have this problem when using their Letters.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Farley Goode wrote:
I guess Associates of the Royal Society of Electrical Surveyors must have this problem when using their Letters.

Only on anally retentive websites though.

I believe arse is an alpe that has been cleared by burning - that is, a field for grazing. Arse being related to the English word: arson

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 14-09-18 9:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Farley Goode wrote:
Ye gods, this set-up is super clinical. Col des back bottoms is really, in French,Col des...short English word meaning the same thing and beginning with A.... but I guess it still won't get by the checker. I never asked for the translation, I just locked it in memory. I guess Associates of the Royal Society of Electrical Surveyors must have this problem when using their Letters.

Even though it's a small URL I had to use tinyURL to avoid the checker changing it !

https://tinyurl.com/yar69fv9
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Worth doing it in the morning and ski the rest of the day in Bonneval before the helicopter return. Some very good off-piste there (North facing).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve led plenty of groups down there. It’s a fairly easy descent... hardest part is hike / skin ‘in’ then push at end. There HAS to be snow down to about 1800 in decent amounts otherwise it’s a nightmare. Heli is hit and miss at that time of the year though and you will not have a huge amount of time to ski bonneval itself as the light fades. Other thing to consider is only 4 return trips over the col are allowed and those spots are often taken well in advance then cancelled if weather poor... so book early but be prepared for a let down. Price is about €1100 TOTAL for the 1-4 persons all in for the day. Drop me a line if u want more info but getting guide / chopper availability might be too late already!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think that we might just do a couple of half days guiding instead

@Steve Angus, dropped you a pm
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy