Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Less energetic summer activities in Chamonix ?

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs sev112, me and miss nowateenagermisssev112 booked to go to Chamonix this summer .
Unfortunately since booking, I’ve been diagnosed with a condition which is going to stop me doing anything much more than easy walks at most. So rafting, via ferrata, poss even going to the top of MtBlanc are probably off limits for me now.

So locals and experts, what can I / we be looking out to do ? My wife and daughter might well go and do some things without me, but if we can find some things we can do as a family, suggestions would be welcomed Smile

Lots of books sat in mountain restaurants might not be the worst thing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sev112, how unfortunate. Do you trust your vet or go against their orders?

How were you going to get up Mont Blanc?

Top of Brevent is not as high as Aiguille du Midi. There’s a reasonable restaurant.

The Skyway from Courmayeur apparently magnif.

Pony trekking?

57 course lunch at Maison Filippo?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Parc Merlet for some alpine animal photography?

New and apparently fine restaurant on the Mer de Glace?

Ebiking rental from Zero-G?

Day out in Geneva and/or Annecy old Towns?

Medieval reconstruction Yvoire?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It’s more what I can handle, rather than specific advice, I’m just permanently knackered all the time.

Electric bikes sound a really good idea - thanks for that Smile

I think we’ll buy a family lift pass and go up, and then see if I’m up to asking back down from Brévent / Flegere and Les Houches,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Walking back down to the valley from any of the ski areas can be a knee punishing slog. Can be a long way if you're fatigued.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Walking back down to the valley from any of the ski areas can be a knee punishing slog. Can be a long way if you're fatigued.

Thanks Smile I don’t mind downloading if we can have a range of easy to medium walks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look for walks around the grand and petit balcons
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lac de passy in the valley is a great day out - warm, clear water, great swimming, beaches etc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is there still luge en ete available at Planards?

My go to suggestion, if you don’t mind the drive, is Martigny - the Fondation Gianadda is generally worth a visit, there’s Roman stuff and Switzerland is always worth a visit on 1 August (National Day festivities).

Do the vertical tour du Mont Blanc (over by cable car, back by bus) and spend a wee while mooching around Courmayeur.

The lake at les Houches was quite pretty last time we were there (bit dragon/damsel flies - I’m not clever enough to tell the difference), climbing to watch if you’re not up to taking part
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yellow Pyranha wrote:
Is there still luge en ete available at Planards?

My go to suggestion, if you don’t mind the drive, is Martigny - the Fondation Gianadda is generally worth a visit, there’s Roman stuff and Switzerland is always worth a visit on 1 August (National Day festivities).

Do the vertical tour du Mont Blanc (over by cable car, back by bus) and spend a wee while mooching around Courmayeur.

The lake at les Houches was quite pretty last time we were there (bit dragon/damsel flies - I’m not clever enough to tell the difference), climbing to watch if you’re not up to taking part

Vertical Tour du Mont Blanc Not possible this year, sorry the panoramic is broken
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As@under a new name, said the Skyway (Punta Helbronner from Courmayeur) is magnificent, the view is as good as the Midi but the place is 2 generations better.

Courmayeur itself is worth a good few hours, the city of Aosta more than a day unless you hate old stuff.

A relax at the spa at Pre st Didier - go midweek, go for opening not later in the day.

If gentle exercise is ok, go up the lifts at St Gervais and roll down the blue run they have for MTB on a good (full suspension, hydraulic brakes) bike.

For a first uphill hike I would recommend chalet Floria, others in similar vain are Chalet Chapeau and Chalet de Cerro. If that level is ok, the next stage would be Montonvers to Aiguille du Midi mid station. And a visit to Rifugio Bonatti in Val Ferret for Lunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There’s a good book by Hilary Sharp with all grades of walks in the Chamonix area. There’s lots of valley bottom walks. Refuges Loriaz and Buet are reasonably easy walks and very special.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sev112, have a lovely time snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Summertime visitors to Cham are now more interested in shopping and restauranting than hardcore sports.

The glaciers are largely gone, the snow up top is fading, and crazy temps over 30c in the town are becoming ever more common.

Take a tram to halfway up the hill. Hike down for a few hours. See the goats, eat some picnic, etc.

Take it steady when hiking. A lot of old folk slip and die there on surprisingly easy trails. Two in Cham in the past few weeks alone.
snow report
Quote:

Summertime visitors to Cham are now more interested in shopping and restauranting than hardcore sports.

Which is why of course they've had to lay on a special 'MTB bus' because the regular service was getting so no hikers could get on it, & probably why they've had to create 'activity slots' off Brevent to prevent the wingsuiters from hitting the para gliders.
Quote:

The glaciers are largely gone, the snow up top is fading, and crazy temps over 30c in the town are becoming ever more common.

Not sure about 'largely' but unfortunately can't argue with the overall point.
Quote:

Take a tram to halfway up the hill. Hike down for a few hours. See the goats, eat some picnic, etc.

As someone else stated above, the constant downhill from some of the mid-stations to the valley can really hammer the knees, better to walk the valley bottom or do some of the classic hillside traverses imo.
Quote:

Take it steady when hiking. A lot of old folk slip and die there on surprisingly easy trails. Two in Cham in the past few weeks alone.

Agree on the taking it steady, biggest summer killer in the hills is the heart. I actually think that a lot of the trails in Chx are trickier and more exposed than you'ld think reading the guides, I don't know where the surprisingly easy ones are. When my daughter was really wee I spent half of our walks with my heart in my mouth (she gave me a proper scare just last summer, having a wobble near a drop onto the MdG, and she was 11 by then).
snow conditions
@sev112, Catch Aguille cable car to the top, mooch around for 10 mins avoiding all the tourists camera's (most dangerous activity of the day) and have a few ooh's and aah's, lift back to mid station, walk balcon Sud to glacier. Go into Glacier, more ooh's and aah's, walk back up to old restaurant, catch train down to town and drink beers.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, you can try that, but I reckon the Grand Balcon Nord would be a much more direct route between those two points wink
latest report
will you have a car?
Annecy is a great day out.
Dependent on when you are there try and catch a leg of the tour, should be less than an hours drive.
The spa in St Gervais has just reopened after 8 month renovation & now run by L'Oréal so should be special.
Tramway de Mont Blanc railway is over 100 years old & a special day out.
Again depamdant on when but large horse showjumping event being held in Megeve.
the traveling circus's are usually not bad.
My boys also like the banger racing in Passy but granted wife & teenage daughter may not be into that.
If none of that fits the bill, sit back in shade with a chilled beer & enjoy the view.
latest report
midgetbiker wrote:

Agree on the taking it steady, biggest summer killer in the hills is the heart. I actually think that a lot of the trails in Chx are trickier and more exposed than you'ld think reading the guides, I don't know where the surprisingly easy ones are. When my daughter was really wee I spent half of our walks with my heart in my mouth (she gave me a proper scare just last summer, having a wobble near a drop onto the MdG, and she was 11 by then).

I think that's probably overstating the risk a bit really. The incidence of heart attacks and subsequent cardiac arrest isn't significantly different for people in the mountains compared to being at home. For non-cardiac deaths, the most common scenario is an unarrested fall most commonly caused by being off the marked and secured trail. In simple terms, getting lost and falling down the hill.

I wouldn't buy that trails in Chamonix are any harder or easier in general than anywhere else in the Alps. They're more frequented though without a doubt. Alpine trails are often harder than some in the UK but that's by no means always true, in the Alps trails are graded which they're not in the UK which is considered helpful. It's been proposed recently that UK trails receive grades for this reason.
snow report
ise wrote:
midgetbiker wrote:

I think that's probably overstating the risk a bit really. The incidence of heart attacks and subsequent cardiac arrest isn't significantly different for people in the mountains compared to being at home. For non-cardiac deaths, the most common scenario is an unarrested fall most commonly caused by being off the marked and secured trail. In simple terms, getting lost and falling down the hill.

I wouldn't buy that trails in Chamonix are any harder or easier in general than anywhere else in the Alps. They're more frequented though without a doubt. Alpine trails are often harder than some in the UK but that's by no means always true, in the Alps trails are graded which they're not in the UK which is considered helpful. It's been proposed recently that UK trails receive grades for this reason.

Yes, most hiking deaths are old people with no muscles or balance, bouncing off the rocks to the bottom of the valley.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:

Yes, most hiking deaths are old people with no muscles or balance, bouncing off the rocks to the bottom of the valley.

No, they aren't.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, ha yes 😂
latest report
@sev112,

This website is very good. May be a bit young for your daughter but have a look.
Its got lots of stuff to do that we weren't aware of despite going to Chx for a long time with kids.

https://montblancfamilyfun.com/
snow report
good website, noted.
ski holidays
Quote:

@midgetbiker, ha yes 😂

As an aside, and just out of interest, does anyone know why the Balcons are named the opposite to actual sides of the valley they're on? (i.e. Balcon Nord, Montenvers-Plan d'Aiguille, is actually on the southern side of the valley and vice versa..)
ski holidays
Quote:

If gentle exercise is ok, go up the lifts at St Gervais and roll down the blue run they have for MTB on a good (full suspension, hydraulic brakes) bike.

Good idea. You can hire good bikes at the mid station at Bettex "Penz Sports" then take the bubble to the top. We did that with a friend who was suffering with asthma and they coped fine.
snow report
@jma, because it’s facing north, and vice versa.

Perfectly sensible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree on the Tramway from St Gervias. How about going up the Montenvers railway and onto the glacier? Another vote for Annecy and Yvoire and Aosta day trips. Drive round Lac Leman is good as well. Eco lake at Combloux is a tip top favourite for us. You need to book though as they limit numbers. https://summer.combloux.com/equipment/1/202175-ecological-lake.html - a trip to Turin is also pretty quick from Chamonix, motorway all the way. The old town is lovely with a great Egyptian museum.
snow conditions
Bumped. TIA for your feedback
Planning a 3 generations august trip, taking my 80yrs old parents and my teenager kids with me. Will be in Cham area for approx. 2 days, don't want to divide the group. Looking for some non strenuous activities at less than 3000 m altitude. So no gondola to 4K or hiking.
For the 1st day we plan to go to CH (Verticalp funicular& train at Chatelard - Emosson, and then the museum Pierre Gianadda)
I need a suggestion for the 2nd day, which will involve going up the mountain so we can see Mont Blanc, even from distance. My initial plan was to leave my folks in the spa and go up with the kids, all the way to Auguille du Midi and then to reach the Hellbroner cable car. Since we want to spend our time together, is the Tramway du Mont Blanc a good idea? I understand there is a steep hiking part/difficult access at Nid d'aigle, my dad suffers from vertigo and is leaning on a cane. He still remains the tough guy who doesn't ask for special consideration, so I don't want to embarrass him. Any ideas re: an easy gondola/tram ride to about 2000 m and back? Smth we can book ahead/do in the morning before the long august queues so we can leave the area in the afternoon?
snow report
@drporat,

The views of Mont Blanc range from the Aiguille Rouge side are brilliant. I'd take the Brevent cable car (2500m).
snow report
I'd 2nd. a trip on the Verticalp funicular/petit train/funicular up to the Emosson barrage for bth the OP and @drporat - a really memorable experience and almost no walking required. Here's the final mini-funicular, looking south:

The Fondation Pierre Giannada is also an excellent visit, especially the outdoor modern sculpture park.

However, just in case you want another suggestion, I can recommend the salt mines at Bex (pronounced 'beh'). This is about 5kms west of Martigny, just off the autoroute to Lausanne/Génève. You go deep into the mountain on a covered mini-train (get the outside seats facing forwards/backwards if you want a good view) and then there's a really good tour. If your French isn't up to it, get the audio guide in English, as it very good and means your'e not trailing sheep-like after the guide. The shop is good too.
snow report
@drporat, Train up to Montenvers, great views. Park the oldies in the hotel, take a short hike up Signal Forbes (hour each way) then back for late lunch or afternoon tea.
ski holidays
Seeing as someone has kindly bumped this thread, a belated thank you to everyone who contributed.

Apart from Mont Blanc cable car being closed during the week, and Brevent for half the week, (and then Aguile Rouge lower lift burning down the week after we went up it) we had a very nice week.
We did some walking at la tour, and I came down in the lift. We walked around halfway up Brevent and Flegere which were both lovely, and we also did the tramway up to the Glacier. I got altitude sickness at the top of Aguile Rouge / Grands Montets and had to lie down and sit down on the floor on the way back down (but that might have been my premonition for the fire a week later! ).

We hired a car and went to visit friends in Gex/Geneva, so took in the lake on the way there, and when walking back to the car via a “sensible short cut”, found Geneva’s red light district which my 15 year old daughter found quite amusing ! Smile My wife and daughter did Park Run near Gex while we were there so that made their holiday !

We got the train up to the Glacier above St Gervais and walked part of that back to the bottom of the lifts and loved that.
Oh yes, and we went for a misty walk in the Jura hills, and while the others all went ahead and I was dawdling, I spent 5 minutes face to face with a bloody big chamois - it came out of the forest, saw me and just stood there. Wonderful

Had some nice flat walks in the valley, and used the train to get back when I got tired.
The week coincided with the UMB ultra running week, so that was quite fun. I think I would have been quite good at that in my teens and 20s when I used to weigh 9.5stone and often would go out for a leisurely 15 mile run Smile

So we had a lovely holiday, and thanks for all the suggestions.

Illness is still with me, still really fatigued all the time, so no skiing this past winter again, but we are going to Saalbach in late July this year, so am hoping we will have similarly good time
latest report
A less energetic way to climb mont blanc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/18/mountaineers-land-plane-400-metres-from-summit-of-mont-blanc?fbclid=IwAR2LiyXdG5xC-ewcDKA-MQ8FBoHi3q5_ALd7XrQHufMNRZnb-hHKjReWLMM
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
A less energetic way to climb mont blanc.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/18/mountaineers-land-plane-400-metres-from-summit-of-mont-blanc?fbclid=IwAR2LiyXdG5xC-ewcDKA-MQ8FBoHi3q5_ALd7XrQHufMNRZnb-hHKjReWLMM

I saw that - I can only think this was for a bet. Authorities are still trying to work out exactly what law they have broken.
snow report
Quote:

but we are going to Saalbach in late July this year, so am hoping we will have similarly good time

@sev112, I can recommend the "all you can eat" barbecue at the Hecherhuette - every Thursday evening at 6.00pm, and sometimes on other evenings if the weather is good. Ring them and book yourself in in advance. It's easy to drive up there from the centre of Viehhofen. They have a nice outdoor pool too. Mention my name - we know them well.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy