Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee arthroscopy on NHS no more?

Poster: A snowHead
Just heard snippet on BBC radio news. Arthroscopy on knees affected by osteo arthritis is one of the 20 or so procedures likely to be withdrawn from NHS treatment menu.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They are claiming the ones being removed are “ineffective”. Is that the case?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
At least one paper quoting two RCTs suggests it’s not effective, “Arthroscopic surgery for knee osteoarthritis? Just say no” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3183924/

So it shouldn’t be done, on the NHS or not.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NickyJ, here’s the BMJ on it, https://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1982:

ineffective
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. I know it is something my Dad had and I thought it did improve things for a while. Will read the article - maybe it is the fact that overall it is only a short term improvement.

Particularly interested as told repeatedly I will suffer from this due to the amount of damage / surgery I have had on my knees.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The second link didn’t work for me?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NickyJ, looks like it’s one of those, “we’ve always done it, so it must work”, procedures.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If all these procedures are ineffective, are the surgeons that routinely carried them out to be prosecuted.
It’s all about the money.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hmm just going through this at the moment - but private coverage so up to me. My knee has been "jamming" a few times this summer but consultant says it's 50-50 whether trimming the meniscal tear that's been there 9 or more years will help because it could be an arthritic hotspot that shows on the MRI. Will probably get it done as 50% chance of improvement is tolerable to mr.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe that it is only arthroscopy for OA that is mentioned not arthroscopy for ligament damage etc which might be of more relevance to skiers!

@jbob, to say those procedures are ineffective is a bit misleading. I do some of the 17 listed (not arthroscopies) and those that I do are effective as in they work (all on NHS so no benefit to me personally whether I do them or not) however there are often alternative less invasive options for treatment and others can be avoided in the majority of people.

This is about seeing what NHS procedures can be reduced to save money but without harming patients health (those that I do are often but not always desired by patients for mostly cosmetic reasons). Ironically, it will probably encourage/force more patients to have these done privately so better for income!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, that said, I had meniscal jamming in 2013 which resolved itself in 18 months ... no recurrence (not formally diagnosed I must admit)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jbob, from what I read and not being a medic but being somewhat close to the field, these are in some cases either cosmetic as @DrNo says or, in the OA knee case a revision of revised standard of care.

So nonreason to prosecute anyone Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, that said, I had meniscal jamming in 2013 which resolved itself in 18 months ... no recurrence (not formally diagnosed I must admit)
Same here. Surgeon said it would be better to leave it alone and hopefully it would settle down. He said going in was only going to put more wear on the knee.
12 yrs ago though
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have dupetrons? Which is going to be stopped. Not sure how I am going to hold my ski poles in years to come.
snow report
Consultant said it was ineffective in 1987 when I was knocked off my moped
latest report
@DrNo,sorry I wasn’t suggesting that individual NHS Doctors were doing unnecessary procedures for the money, rather that this was more about the health of NHS finances than that of the patients.
Listening to a number of medics on the radio today the clinical guidelines they already work to, don’t encourage unnecessary operations. There was a vascular surgeon who described in detail in what circumstances he would do varicose vain operations which seemed entirely appropriate. Makes me wonder why someone chose to make this announcement today.
ski holidays
@jbob, on the choosing to make an announcement, probably to feed the enormous cover up over how badly Brexit is going...
ski holidays
And as usual, the mainstream media are not reporting the whole story ... rolling eyes

It’s probably too complicated.
snow report
jbob wrote:
. ... It’s all about the money.
Actually it isn't at all.

Take the example of Homeopathy, which was only just withdrawn as a tax-payer funded option late last year. There has never been any evidence for that, yet your and my money was wasted on it. It wasn't actually wasted much - almost no NHS clinicians would countenance it. That's not because of "the money", it's because it's pointless, it breaks trust, and it may prevent patients seeking treatment. There's no financial interest for (say) a GP either way.

Many politicians would rather waste money than suggest that their voters might be wrong.
snow conditions
@philwig, It is at least partially about the money!

Whilst I can't comment on the majority of the 17 procedures from an expert perspective, I think they all have some value in selected cases and the ones that I do of those are effective in almost all cases at achieving a certain aim.

The point is however that this aim is cosmetic and rightly or wrongly, people feel it is appropriate that the NHS doesn't offer cosmetic procedures. To put it another way, if the NHS had unlimited financial resources, I am sure a number of those procedures would be continued to be performed in the majority of cases as they are today!

I don't think that you can compare this to homeopathy as that is not a healthcare intervention, merely a way to utilise the placebo effect
snow report
Arthroscopy is merely looking into a joint to see how it is and how it performs: it is a diagnostic procedure.
Various (endoscopic) operations can then be performed: so-called "key-hole" surgery.
It is arthroscopic debridement/washout that is being challenged: the idea that washing out accumulated rubbish in the joint will improve function and lessen pain in patients with osteoathritis.
The BMJ review advises against this procedure for osteoarthritis of the knee.

The announcement has been mis-reported in some areas.
No procedures have actually been totally banned.
Four procedures will only be offered at the request of a patient: Snoring surgery, Dilation and curettage for heavy menstrual bleeding, Knee arthroscopies for osteoarthritis, Injections for non-specific back pain.
A further 13 treatments will only be offered when certain conditions are met: Breast reduction, Removal of benign skin lesions, Grommets for glue ear, Tonsillectomy, Haemorrhoid surgery, Hysterectomy for heavy menstrual bleeding, Removal of lesions on eyelids, Removal of bone spurs for shoulder pain, Carpal tunnel syndrome release, Dupuytren’s contracture release, Excision of small, non cancerous lumps on the wrist called ganglia, Trigger finger release, Varicose vein surgery.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/jun/29/nhs-wields-the-axe-on-17-unnecessary-procedures
ski holidays
@Jonpim, thank you. Good to have the whole story.
latest report
@Jonpim, yes, useful clarification and detail.

I had knee arthroscopy /debridement and meniscus chopping a couple of years ago.

My opinion is that it seemed to improve knee condition enough to feel worthwhile. Possibly delaying the need for a replacement knee by a year or three?

Also my impression was that without arthroscopy, ie going in and having a look, definite diagnosis is difficult. Even MRI scans don’t give definitive diagnosis.

Any expert thoughts on that anyone?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy