Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring Siberia: One hell of a trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Really not too sure about this one - I could defo swing it pass the OH as it's my 60th Dec 3rd and the team are a great bunch of people, but a few have cried off for various reasons, though some share my POV that one should not go to Russia in the first place?

Few mates have signed up so the FOMO factor could be an issue Smile

This is the email from the guide I've known for well over a third of my life and over the years we've had some great adventures!

Dear Friends,

As last year was a bit short notice for this trip, here is a second opportunity...I really think this is worth a trip. Let's see if we can get a group together for nov -18. I met the guys running the lodge when I was in Kamchatka, great guys, very professional so I am confident it is a great adventure.

In the deep heart of Siberia, just next to a small train station there is a few new build wooden huts. Access on skis and skins. 300-700m vertical in 3 different main valleys. Tree skiing. The only other place that gets the same amount of fresh snow would be Hokkaido, Japan. The season here is short. Mid november to christmas. After that it is to cold to ski.

Great food, simple but warm living, Banya (russian traditional wood heated sauna) every night after skiing.

There is room for a group of 6-12 people 25/11-2/12.

Over night (departure from Moscow around 21.00) flights from Moscow to a small town, transfer to an even smaller town...stay overnight in a hotel. Train right into the wilderness in ski clothes early the following day and then touring.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 26-11-18 10:49; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=59336

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=55479

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=59295
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've only spent one week in Russia, but I definitely think it's somewhere everyone should go to at least once in their life.

Siberia's been on my radar too for a while - I used to help market trips there for Flory Kern in a previous job. Looks epic when it's on, and does seem fairly reliable; how Neil Williman, Max Kroneck and the Mediafilm crew did get royally skunked there last season.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You only live once
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Do you even need to ask?

How epic does that sound?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's a date sensitive thing, then Siberia is your best bet for 'exotic' powder that early in the season.

If date is not a factor, then Japan could offer you a better / different / cheaper experience.

What price are you talking please? Days skiing?

FYI early December in-resort on Hokkaido can look like this

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJR-0AgAxH_/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1axtehg6eufpd
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
“The season here is short. Mid november to christmas. After that it is to cold to ski.”

Certainly sounds like a heck of an adventure although this would worry me a bit. Cold, potentially bitterly cold. Great for snow but could be a bit dark and miserable...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

The only other place that gets the same amount of fresh snow would be Hokkaido, Japan.

That begs the question, would Hokkaido be a better choice?

That said, on the positive side:
Quote:
This is the email from the guide I've known for well over a third of my life and over the years we've had some great adventures!

Quote:
Over night (departure from Moscow around 21.00) flights from Moscow to a small town, transfer to an even smaller town...stay overnight in a hotel. Train right into the wilderness in ski clothes early the following day and then touring.

I would go if it were my big birthday which falls outside of ski season of all the "usual" ski destinations.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 14-06-18 13:21; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think I’d make this decision based on the non-skiing stuff. You can get deep cold powder in much closer to home but does heading into the unknown appeal?

I did a ski trip to Kyrgyzstan a few years back and the skiing was good but the cultural stuff was a lot more memorable
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Arno, +1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I’m guessing it’s here? http://skiinginsiberia.com/skitouring/luzhba/

So, @BobinCH, they take January off, but operate otherwise? Just adopt rule 5 and layer up a little.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm surprised they get so much snow considering how far they are from the ocean.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, I can see your viewpoint about not wanting to go to Russia in the first place but I think this trip would sway me! Siberia is somewhere I will visit one day and just the scale of it blows my mind.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I used to tour (in this country) an orchestra from Novosibirsk - they were terrific - and everything they told me about Siberia made me NOT want to go there! But admittedly skiing in the wilds was not a topic of conversation.
snow conditions
Given we had good early season conditions last year for the first time in a number of years when you had cleared off to Japan I think you should go.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I got the same email and was sorely tempted, just can't afford it........
For you, it's a no-brainer for your 60th Very Happy
ski holidays
@davidof, Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@davidof, Laughing

Maybe we could have a whip round?
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I reckon about 4p from every Snowhead would cover it Laughing
snow report
KenX wrote:

Money well spent. Think of it as an offering to the weather gods.
snow report
KenX wrote:

I'll double it to 8p if he's not allowed to brag about his trip afterwards...
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, damn you, tea all over keyboard.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, damn you, tea all over keyboard.

No more keyboard. Much easier to wipe the coffee off the screen of my phone. Very Happy
latest report
Very droll Toofy Grin

In fact I went to Japan later part of January and we'd already had some great powder by then, though to be honest when we booked Japan back in March 2016 I always said that now we'll have a cracking season.

And not too sure me feckin off to Siberia so early before the season has really started will help sods law be initiated, though would be nice to come back to a good base.

Not too many have signed up for the trip, in fact only one so that could make it silly expensive, though I do have "Green Light" from OH.

Where I currently am is the kite-surfing equivalent of Siberia (way off the beaten track nigh on 4 -5 days to get to from London depending on who you fly with) and "boasts" (sic) conditions as some of the best in the world.

Someone has to these things rather than sit at the end of a keyboard NehNeh

As Gandhi said "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm in wink
ski holidays
It's on - 16th Nov to Nov 24th

Fly to Moscow then fly to Abakan then train to God Knows where Toofy Grin

More here http://skiinginsiberia.com/skitouring/

And think this is where we're staying http://skiinginsiberia.com/skitouring/luzhba/

Seven of us inc guide - three good mates (one split boarder), and one Swede I've done Summer stuff with, and a couple of others.

Now have to sort flights and visa's.

Then there's the little conundrum of what skis to take and when to take them back from France, what size pack etc etc etc

@Dave of the Marmottes, ping me your mobile and I'll be sure to send you regular updates Laughing

Though I suspect comms might be an issue out there.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 22-08-18 7:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
try to make some time available for Moscow if you not been there before.
snow report
@Weathercam, I'm jealous! what a fantastic way to kick off the season.
snow conditions
Mr.Egg wrote:
try to make some time available for Moscow if you not been there before.

Any advice on polonium tearooms places or novichok perfume sales?
ski holidays
Look forward to the TR!
snow report
@Weathercam, Gird your loins for the process of getting a visa. It’s long, tedious, expensive and involves a trip to an embassy or visa centre just to lodge your fingerprints.
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Weathercam, Gird your loins for the process of getting a visa. It’s long, tedious, expensive and involves a trip to an embassy or visa centre just to lodge your fingerprints.

Didn’t for me... Expensive yes, but just forms to fill in and let the travel agent/local sponsor sort the rest
latest report
clarky999 wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Didn’t for me... Expensive yes, but just forms to fill in and let the travel agent/local sponsor sort the rest

Maybe it depends from where you are applying or according to citizenship. AFAIK UK citizens applying in the U.K. definitely have to submit fingerprints unless this has changed in the last few months.

http://ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/important_information.html
snow report
As what @clarky999, says, we're going to get an invite and itinerary from the operator, which is meant to make things easier.

We've had to fill out a few bits and then we get the paper work sent to us to then apply for the visa.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
As what @clarky999, says, we're going to get an invite and itinerary from the operator, which is meant to make things easier.

We've had to fill out a few bits and then we get the paper work sent to us to then apply for the visa.

The invite from the Russian operator/sponsor doesn’t really make things ‘easier’ it makes them possible. It’s a prerequisite.

The good news is that you shouldn’t need to do the fingerprint thing or visit the embassy/consulate itself. Those requirements seem to be specific to the U.K. which has reciprocal requirements. However, someone will have to visit VFS on your behalf and may need a ‘letter of attorney’ to submit your application. Things may be a bit different if you are not a French resident.
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
It's on - 16th Nov to Nov 24th

It was always "on" Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, I was out in the Altai Mountains of Siberia way back in the 80's, but that is another story. The local people were great, although the Moscow minders were more of a problem. These days you do not have that issue I hope. But it was a fantastic place. Real wilderness and you feel totally alone. But hay! It can get very cold! Hope you have a great trip. I wish I could go back, but not this year.
latest report
Good stuff.

Hire a copter while out there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy