Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do skis die?

Poster: A snowHead
I know over the years skis can lose their pop, and might not flex like when first new, but do bases reach a point where they just go slow?

I have a pair of Rossi S3s which have seen a fair bit of time on snow (mostly soft stuff) so there’s still plenty of edge left and the bases have only been ground once.

Last season they started running slow, we’re okay after a wax but that only lasted a few days.

Long story short, is it worth getting them ground again, or am i just going to accept a pair of 2011 skis have had their day?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@oz5000, I haven't experienced this and I have never read of it.

Where are you getting them serviced?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oz5000, How often do you wax them ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oz5000, hmmm, bases can “dry out” (not really drying) with inadequate waxing which can have an effect?

Sorted out with a good grind and wax.

But I have a pair of ? 2007 Volkl SGs that are still plenty fast (although they are well cared for and only used about a week a year).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Layne, that’s great as neither have I and I was hoping no one else had either!

Thanks too@rjs, and @under a new name, usually do them myself regularly throughout the season but was reliant on a local shop last year and they were a bit of a bunch of muppets tbh.

Think it’s definitely worth dropping 40 quid on a full service based on your responses, cheers!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@oz5000, doesn't sound like they need grounding again. Just give them a proper waxing yourself. Maybe the shop used crap wax or just did a poor job.

I just use standard universal wax (says 120 degrees on it), don't clean or hot wax but generous with the wax and get the bases as a hot as I dare (touchwood never damaged a base yet). Then leave the wax on as long as I can, give it a light scrape and polish. Wife always goes wow when she puts them back on and I've had no complaints from her (about the ski's!). I rewax after every trip - which can be 6 to 8 full days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would learn how to hot wax a household iron works just fine.

Scrape off the excess.

Brush well.

Works for me.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@TQA, household irons can be too hot melt the base delam the ski ... although I used to use one no problem
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Layne, Yeah they don’t need a grind in terms of damage or gouges or anything, so maybe that’s a good shout!

I’m just glad they’re not dead (based on you lot) as they’re my touring set up too!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TQA, thanks, I’m all good on that front, was wondering if there might be something more serious at play.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Could a lack of structure in the base be to blame? Just a thought...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Answer to the OP:

Yes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tubaski, well, something to do with the base preparation would be my guess too.

One of these should sort it:

http://www.kuzmin.se/pgs/scrapers_engl.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@altis, That You Tube video linked on the page is just a bit freaky!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis wrote:
......One of these should sort it:

Do NOT use a Kuzmin scraper on alpine skis.

oz5000, if your bases are flat with noticeable structure underfoot and the base edge angles are in reasonable shape then a base grind is not needed. A hot scrape clean followed by a base prep wax followed by a good uni wax (ie wide snow temp operating range). If you got some concavity/loss of structure/dodgy base edge angles then get a base grind. If you usually service your own skis then just get a grind and then after doing the side edge angles do the base prep described as it'll be far superior to a roller applied 'shop' wax without the cleaning cycle.
snow report
Only skis I've skied to death, the torsional stiffness was the thing that really died and killed them. Anything else is fixable.
snow report
@spyderjon, yeah I don’t really want to get them ground if they don’t need it.

Will give them a proper clean and hot wax, and take a spare pair out ‘just in case’.

Cheers for the input y’all Very Happy
snow report
@oz5000, when you wax make sure you scrape well and then brush like mad with a good bronze brush to get it into the base
ski holidays
Had a pair of '08 Mantra that had not see servise since 'the old days' and yeah they were going surprisingly fast for an unwaxed.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:

Do NOT use a Kuzmin scraper on alpine skis.

Out of curiosity why would that be?
snow report
One thing that can cause problems with older skis is that the bindings can drop off the 'approved bindings list'. When this happens nearly all pro ski shops will refuse to work on them even if the work is nothing to do with the bindings.

Ask me how I know this is.
snow report
@TQA, approved bindings list is a very anglophone thing ...
latest report
under a new name wrote:
taking any particular interest in your ski setup is a very anglophone thing ...

fixed for you!! IME We're far more gear obsessed in general than our European counterparts.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy