Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help to improve

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

I started skiing January 2017, accumulated few ski trips since getting super keen...now I fell I got much better but not sure what to focus next!

Short video with my evolution below! Any feedback is appreciated !

http://youtube.com/v/7-aYZfoPHp4
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good progress Smile I started skiing 6 years ago, and aside from time on snow I found the quickest way to progress your skill is a week-long ski course. If you are really keen, you could look at summer ski courses eg Snoworks in Tignes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The video doesn't show much except that you improved quite well. You should focus on clean carved turns, first try medium radius. Then you need to put some variation in there e.g. lift one ski, feet closer/wider, change the radius to find your balance over the outside ski. Important is to initiate the turns from the ankles/knees/hips, so you have to separate the upper from the lower body. A nice exercise is to think of a race where you a starting number on your chest. This number should always be visible from the valley. It looks like you didn't quite find your middle position yet, as you seem to lean a bit backwards. Ski without a backpack because it does pull you back and makes it hard to find the middle position. Imagine to have a 10€ bill between the shins and the ski boots and you don't want to lose it as it is the money for your lunch Very Happy .

When you have a strong middle position over the outside ski and you can carve clean medium/long radius turns then you focus on edging more, do short turns, ski powder and moguls. You will find good YouTube videos on these topics.
This is my favourite channel for edging/short turns/balance (he is a member of the Austrian demonstration team) but you need to have achieved the level mentioned by me above:

http://youtube.com/v/owZTKM8YN9M

http://youtube.com/v/WrNSrMQYcdg&t=58s

Keep up the good work and have fun!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Great progression. Well done.

High performance, short-radius carving as recommended by Johannesski above - in fact a lot of what he/she wrote - is not what you're looking for IMHO

Take lessons.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 19-05-18 21:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You’re on the brink of intermidiot, which means tons to learn...your journey is just about to get interesting Madeye-Smiley
Next steps IMHO:
-Short swing turns (slalom style)
-Long carved turns (GS style)

Invest in lessons on your next ski trip to get there quickly (and properly). As above, I too recommend intensive week long courses; 2 continuous weeks if time n budget allow (nothing like it for fast, lasting improvement).

Keep us updated with your progress. Enjoy snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow wrote:

Carving as recommended by Johannesski above - in fact a lot of what he/she wrote - is not what you're looking for IMHO

Take lessons.

I just wanted to outline that it would not be smart to start doing short turns/moguls/powder now but that it is important to get the basics right and then focus on these areas, because some intermediates try those before mastering basic clean turns.

What would you suggest as a progression after the "basics"?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some drills:

http://youtube.com/v/wNbEp1SRVag&feature=youtu.be
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johannesski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Carving as recommended by Johannesski above - in fact a lot of what he/she wrote - is not what you're looking for IMHO

Take lessons.

I just wanted to outline that it would not be smart to start doing short turns/moguls/powder now but that it is important to get the basics right and then focus on these areas, because some intermediates try those before mastering basic clean turns.

What would you suggest as a progression after the "basics"?

Agreed. And great skiing in the Shiffren vid you posted.

I'm in a very small minority I know, but I would recommend dialling in balance transitions and pivotting before progressing to edging and carving.

The OP (@Gustavobs) has a nice relaxed, tall stance but from the little I saw on the video is still reticent to balance to the needed level on the downhill ski.

That's where I would start.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mike Pow wrote:
.. I would recommend dialling in balance transitions and pivotting...

Agreed. Never have enough of that!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Themasterpiece wrote:
Good progress Smile I started skiing 6 years ago, and aside from time on snow I found the quickest way to progress your skill is a week-long ski course. If you are really keen, you could look at summer ski courses eg Snoworks in Tignes.

Thanks! Definitely on the list a week's coaching trip!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johannesski wrote:
The video doesn't show much except that you improved quite well. You should focus on clean carved turns, first try medium radius. Then you need to put some variation in there e.g. lift one ski, feet closer/wider, change the radius to find your balance over the outside ski. Important is to initiate the turns from the ankles/knees/hips, so you have to separate the upper from the lower body. A nice exercise is to think of a race where you a starting number on your chest. This number should always be visible from the valley. It looks like you didn't quite find your middle position yet, as you seem to lean a bit backwards. Ski without a backpack because it does pull you back and makes it hard to find the middle position. Imagine to have a 10€ bill between the shins and the ski boots and you don't want to lose it as it is the money for your lunch Very Happy .

When you have a strong middle position over the outside ski and you can carve clean medium/long radius turns then you focus on edging more, do short turns, ski powder and moguls. You will find good YouTube videos on these topics.
This is my favourite channel for edging/short turns/balance (he is a member of the Austrian demonstration team) but you need to have achieved the level mentioned by me above:

I think I'm getting there in terms of thinking my balance but still feels many times I get pushed backwards and don't react quick enough to counter-attack the force, ending up in the backseat. That said, while before I was a nervous red piste skier, more recently I feel much more balanced and in control getting confident to cruise all blacks I've been faced.

Turn initiation is something I'm not clear exactly what to do, so yes, good call!

Thanks for the tips and videos!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ALQ wrote:
You’re on the brink of intermidiot, which means tons to learn...your journey is just about to get interesting Madeye-Smiley
Next steps IMHO:
-Short swing turns (slalom style)
-Long carved turns (GS style)

Invest in lessons on your next ski trip to get there quickly (and properly). As above, I too recommend intensive week long courses; 2 continuous weeks if time n budget allow (nothing like it for fast, lasting improvement).

Keep us updated with your progress. Enjoy snowHead

Thanks! Will do Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gustavobs wrote:
johannesski wrote:

I think I'm getting there in terms of thinking my balance but still feels many times I get pushed backwards and don't react quick enough to counter-attack the force, ending up in the backseat. That said, while before I was a nervous red piste skier, more recently I feel much more balanced and in control getting confident to cruise all blacks I've been faced.

Turn initiation is something I'm not clear exactly what to do, so yes, good call!

Nice! But I wouldn't ski black just now because - no offence - I don't think you are on that level yet. Don't misunderstand me, I think you can definitely get down a black slope, however, it will mess up your technique. In your video, you are already a bit in the back seat, skiing steeper slopes will make you do that automatically if you don't have the courage to lean forward in every turn initiation and you will probably lean inwards - which is a normal reaction on a steep slope, but it messes up your technique. If you want to ski every trail you find in a - European - ski resort, just keep on doing what you do, but it will not look good and you will never get out of the "intermediate level".

What I would look at now is a good clean carved down, as you are not really edging but rather move your whole body in the new direction and then slide. In order to create an edge, you can't just lean inward as this will make you feel totally out of balance. You need to be in a c-shape. You see it in the video above: You push the knees and the hips to the hill to create an edge and push your upper body down the hill (the c-shape) to be stable over the outside ski.

And you are not making real turns right now, you are more just sliding down.

Follow this video:

http://youtube.com/v/Qhyk2ZbrOEM

If you have a clean turn (two s-shaped tracks in the snow) you begin training your balance by doing clean carved turns with changing feet width, lifting one ski, alternately push skis forward and back etc.

If you mastered all that, then I would go to short turn, than to steeps/moguls/off piste.

Greetings
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johannesski wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
johannesski wrote:

Nice! But I wouldn't ski black just now because - no offence - I don't think you are on that level yet. Don't misunderstand me, I think you can definitely get down a black slope, however, it will mess up your technique. In your video, you are already a bit in the back seat, skiing steeper slopes will make you do that automatically if you don't have the courage to lean forward in every turn initiation and you will probably lean inwards - which is a normal reaction on a steep slope, but it messes up your technique. If you want to ski every trail you find in a - European - ski resort, just keep on doing what you do, but it will not look good and you will never get out of the "intermediate level".

What I would look at now is a good clean carved down, as you are not really edging but rather move your whole body in the new direction and then slide. In order to create an edge, you can't just lean inward as this will make you feel totally out of balance. You need to be in a c-shape. You see it in the video above: You push the knees and the hips to the hill to create an edge and push your upper body down the hill (the c-shape) to be stable over the outside ski.

And you are not making real turns right now, you are more just sliding down.

Follow this video:

http://youtube.com/v/Qhyk2ZbrOEM

If you have a clean turn (two s-shaped tracks in the snow) you begin training your balance by doing clean carved turns with changing feet width, lifting one ski, alternately push skis forward and back etc.

If you mastered all that, then I would go to short turn, than to steeps/moguls/off piste.

Greetings

I’m taking no offense, I’m asking honest and thats what I’m getting, thanks for it.

I think when you start skiing being able to ski a black becomes sort of ultimate goal, it is so scary at first... also its easy to self measure - just have to do it. Others aspects are harder and needs expert analysis, as you have given.

Back to technique, occasionally I do feel the edges are “railing” but thats not the rule but the exception. I dont feel I’m afraid to lean forwards anymore though I know I have not found the sweet spot yet since managed somehow to get quite bad falls with the new outside skiing going over the new internal and locking me, resulting in a spetacular fall and painful experience. I wish I had one record of those just to know exactly what ive done

Nice video, will look it carefully.

I’m considering, as suggested above, best way forward is a coaching trip!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:

High performance, short-radius carving as recommended by Johannesski above - in fact a lot of what he/she wrote - is not what you're looking for IMHO

Take lessons.

Listen to mike!! Doing railed/carved turns isn't what you need if your goal is to ski a black!

Do you live anywhere near to Hemel Hemstead?
ski holidays
Hi @Gustavobs,
Welcome to skiing .... just enjoy it ..
Take as much instruction that you can get, I still take lessons .. I've only been doing this for 50 years.

Try and find the time to look at the mountains ... That's why go there.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

Take lessons.

Listen to mike!! Doing railed/carved turns isn't what you need if your goal is to ski a black!

1h away given traffic is not bad, I do go there sometimes !
snow conditions
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @Gustavobs,
Welcome to skiing .... just enjoy it ..
Take as much instruction that you can get, I still take lessons .. I've only been doing this for 50 years.

Try and find the time to look at the mountains ... That's why go there.

Thanks @DrLawn, there is something at the mountains which is hard to explain. Will live there, one day, it’s just a matter of time.
ski holidays
Managed to get a shot where I do a bit more like a C.. any good ?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/MKkqD2oCUr0EaOck1

latest report
Gustavobs wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Have to agree with @Mike Pow and @kitenski that some of the advice above isn't what you need to be focusing on (yet) to progress.
You mentioned coaching holidays above, and live reasonably close to Hemel. Take a look at the Hemel clinic days and mountain trips offered by Inside Out Skiing (run by snowheads @rob@rar and @skimottaret). I think they may be right up your street.
snow conditions
@Tubaski, Thanks for the shout out, I had the pleasure of coaching @Gustavobs, back in Feb. Skis nicely for his level of experience and hopefully will continue to do more coaching sessions whether it be with us or others.

It is probably a bit early in your progression to try to emulate the world class skiers in some of the videos listed. If you recall we primarily worked on posture and body management in our session so that you could effectively tip the skis onto their edges. We also tried to get you in a balanced position at the transition between turns.

Once you get better balanced on the skis we would think about adding in some lateral separation but one step at a time snowHead
ps. don't think about creating a "C shape" as it is a poor image to try to emulate as it puts your spine in a weak position, nor think about "leaning" forward as that will put you out of balance just as leaning back does snowHead

Here is a little review of what we did (I agree with Mike Pow's and the other instructors kitenski & tubaski comments)

https://vimeo.com/271054226

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 21-05-18 11:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm in a very small minority I know, but I would recommend dialling in balance transitions and pivotting before progressing to edging and carving.

A minority of at least two Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

A minority of at least two Toofy Grin

Smile
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:
Gustavobs wrote:
kitenski wrote:

Have to agree with @Mike Pow and @kitenski that some of the advice above isn't what you need to be focusing on (yet) to progress.
You mentioned coaching holidays above, and live reasonably close to Hemel. Take a look at the Hemel clinic days and mountain trips offered by Inside Out Skiing (run by snowheads @rob@rar and @skimottaret). I think they may be right up your street.

Scott was quicker than me to say I've done one coaching session with them, planning to do more, but I'm limited by budget at the moment since I have gone (much) beyond what my wife reckons as reasonable this season in skiing spending Toofy Grin
I'm considering either doing more regular training or saving for a coaching trip with them end of year! Tempted for the latter
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
@Tubaski, Thanks for the shout out, I had the pleasure of coaching @Gustavobs, back in Feb. Skis nicely for his level of experience and hopefully will continue to do more coaching sessions whether it be with us or others.

It is probably a bit early in your progression to try to emulate the world class skiers in some of the videos listed. If you recall we primarily worked on posture and body management in our session so that you could effectively tip the skis onto their edges. We also tried to get you in a balanced position at the transition between turns.

Once you get better balanced on the skis we would think about adding in some lateral separation but one step at a time snowHead
ps. don't think about creating a "C shape" as it is a poor image to try to emulate as it puts your spine in a weak position, nor think about "leaning" forward as that will put you out of balance just as leaning back does snowHead

Here is a little review of what we did (I agree with Mike Pow's and the other instructors kitenski & tubaski comments)

https://vimeo.com/271054226

Hi @skimottaret, was my pleasure as well! As I mentioned in an email I hope that I've improved comparing to this session but maybe not that much as I thought! I am tempted to to book some of the clinics session but since getting into the ladder now, conscious about budget limits and more inclined to join you guys for a coaching trip end of year. Until there, occasionally I might squeeze in some practice but probably more theory (currently looking skiing mechanics) !

Thanks for sharing the video with comments, I was not aware about that!
snow report
Quote:

I made it this morning to try out a new piece of software Wink Whatever you decide on coaching let me know , happy to help you on your journey ...
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

I made it this morning to try out a new piece of software Wink Whatever you decide on coaching let me know , happy to help you on your journey ...

Thanks Smile !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy