Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go late April/early May?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing one more quick trip for 2-3 days around the end of April or 1st week of May and looking for suggestions. Maybe even a guide and do a tour for a 1/2 day just to get away from the lifts if possible.
It looks like Tignes and VT are good bets up to their closing dates on 6/5. Zermatt looks ok too but it seems like they close parts of their area so not as good an option.
How about Engelberg? It looks like they stay open late but I'm not sure how much of their terrain will stay open or is it just typically a surface lift and a few pistes up high? But the short transfer from Zurich is a plus.
Or maybe Grands Montets but it closes 1/5....
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks a lot,
Marc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More than enough terrain in Engelberg to keep you happy.

Especially if you have a guide.

I had a couple of days there in mid-May a while back.

Mid-thigh powder, bluebird, deserted.

Believe the hype.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hard to argue with that!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm heading to Cervinia for 4 days skiing next week.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've skied powder at altitude on about half of our 9 or 10 late April or early May trips to Tignes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Regardless, always at least 50% of Espace Killy open at that time.

Next trip is from a week's time....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Engelberg would be good if the weather and conditions line up well for you. I skied great powder there in late April/May the last couple of years. There won't be much lift accessed terrain open (probably enough though), and there's lots more options if you're willing to hike - eg the Jochpass/Jochstock area will be closed but you could easily skin up there for some great lines. It's one of my favourite resorts in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scotspikey wrote:
I'm heading to Cervinia for 4 days skiing next week.

would be interested to hear how it goes. go there religiously every april (1st week). Every season i can remember that we skied that week its been good snow about 2500 m (plan maison basically) then progressively softer till its syrup at resort. This year though it was much better. I think the run to Valtournenche is already closed.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have friends going to La Plagne/Paradiski next week. They go every year at this time and said they've never been skunked for snow.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just noticed Obertauern in Austria is open to 1 May and currently has 180cm. Not bad!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off to Val next week. La Daille has over a metre at village level.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
yes but i guess it'll be like syrup for half the day. the beauty of cervinia/zermatt is that due to the height the majority of the resorts' ski area is still perfect snow in april. Done val/tignes a few times, it was good but courchevel was just slush everywhere, of course could have just been a bad year to be fair.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow levels are amazing this year. After a week of Indian Summer the pistes here are still in amazing shape and we just skied down into resort at the end of the day in world class slush!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 22-04-18 15:14; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i think sharing photos like that should be banned until decemeber
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is just above town (1600m) at 15:30

http://youtube.com/v/krY7OrSdjfM
ski holidays
I’m also looking at a cheeky long weekend over may bank holiday. Fri 4th- Monday 7th or Tuesday 8th, on my own.

Ideas?
snow report
Newbie posting here, but hey, I am willing to ski with you!

I have the chance to do side trips while on business in France in late April-early May. I wonder which places have the best snow on advanced slopes at this time.

Val d'Isère and Chamonix are scheduled to close May 1. Which one would be better for late-season skiing?

Then after that, Tignes and Val Thorens are open until May 8. How do they compare?
ski holidays
Do you have any info on Tignes remaining open until the 8th? Website has not changes from 6th, leaving Val Tho as the sole option for the holiday weekend?
snow conditions
A Bit of googling spits out hintertux and stubai glaciers in Austria. Are they likely to be any good over the bank holiday weekend?
latest report
I'd just check the date - Sölden's last day is May 1. Conditions there will be weather dependent, but last year there was a blue sky day and a powder day, and snow conditions were more winter than spring. It obviously varies, but last weekend was reportedly good there. There will be snow, you just need to check that the lifts are running and that it's not schmoo.

Note that typically lots of restaurants and hotels are closed at the end of the season so that side of things can be more hassle than you may expect.
snow report
@alexl, Stubai in Austria will be open and should be good (if you have nice weather!). I went there around 20th May 2016 and there was still quite a bit of terrain open. There's probably more snow there this year.

It's really cheap staying down in the valley too at that time of year, not many tourists around.
latest report
@alexl, I skied Hintertux on 29th May last year. Good until around lunch time....it was 30 degrees in valley (if I rwmver correctly). This year a lot more snow still there even down to Sommerberg
latest report
I think skiing there for the next few weeks will be fine.

We are back end of May for half term and my kids want to ski so fingers crossed.
snow report
I was also in Verbier and Chamonix this weekend and confirm there's lots of nice snow still, but I think the lifts close on 1 May in both...
snow report
There is a post entitled May Skiing which Wethercam started last year. Sorry don’t know how to link. Well worth a look
snow report
Thanks again for the replies. Spent 2.5 days in Engelberg from Thursday to Saturday and it was great.
snow conditions
Excellent
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy