Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black toe - falling off

Poster: A snowHead
I got a black toe about two months ago - and now my toe is starting to fall off. My doctor told me to keep the nail on as long as possible, but it's not going to last much longer. I guess it will go in the next 24 hours or so.

It still looks pretty disgusting underneath. What is the best thing to do about it? Anything, or nothing?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mh8782, just the nail or the whole toe. If it's the first then either pull it off or leave it until you can pull it off. If it's the second -> Hospital.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right, sorry, I meant toe nail, rather than toe - I would definitely be off to the hospital if my toe was falling off
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mh8782, if it’s the whole toe, you’d probably be dead from sepsis by now.

Do nothing. It should just grow back. Maybe not so beautifully.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mh8782, I've two coming off at the moment, they look pretty gross. You just wait until they fall off and then the nail grows back. Usually takes me a few months

It's probably toe bang, caused by a couple of things - if you have your own boots you can get the toebox punched out above the big toes and that'll help

Get forward!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mh8782, It will grow back fine ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm less worried about it growing back, more that is there any risk of infection in the mean time. Below the toenail still looks very messy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@mh8782, I’m going to guess your doc knows of what he talks. More so than us loonies on here!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mh8782, It used to happen to me when I still had badly fitting ski boots. In my case it was from walking to the slopes, rather than skiing. As others mention, it will grow back again, and provided you normal shoes are the correct size, it will be fine.

Once I had properly fitting boots it never happened again. On a recent holiday, I was the only one not constantly buckling and unbuckling their boots. Some were doing it after every run, undoing all 4 clips, riding a lift then doing them up again at the top. If they were racers, the fair enough, but not for general skiing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
how did you blacken the toenail? from running / footie or did you hit it with a brick or something?

if its just a result of repeated hitting the front of your shoe (like running), then it happens a lot, the nail normally falls off within a couple of months and the new growth is underneath waiting to come through.

when the nail is off, if there is no puss or anything built up and its not painful to touch then its fine, your new nail will eventually grow and cover your toe end again.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For me, it was badly fitting boots - I did a trip, I'm a beginner and leaning back, and at the end of one day, I had a black toe (back in January or so). I'm sure it'll be fine, but I see the toe nail is now wobbly and ready to go any day (or hour) soon, and I'm scared at what is underneath!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice hot bath did it for me, worth a go, have a good long soak, nail gets nice and soft and will probably let go more easily.

Doubt there is much risk of infection, but once off worth giving it another good soak to remove any nasties, maybe antiseptic spray but probably not required.

New one will grow back, generally takes a while before it gets into good shape, obviously will grow out and go back to vaguely normal once it does.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@mh8782, the new nail will already be under the old one...its partly that which is pushing the old one off. When the old one drops off kerp it clean and dry. The nail bed hardens up pretty quickly. It will take a good 3 months for the new nail to grow out properly
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I too have had several black toenails from running and skiing (leaning backwards definitely the cause for me when skiing, as per moseyp's suggestion) and haven't had any issues when they've fallen off. It does, though, seem to be luck of the draw whether they grow back normally or freakishly thick Skullie
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's kind of fascinating and disgusting at the same time.
snow report
@mh8782, it will be fine. It will come off in your sock one day soon probably Laughing
snow conditions
If you have close-fitting boots it can simply be a matter of remembering to trim your toenails beforehand (and that's not 'trim' as in 'make tidy', but as in 'remove as much as possible').

I got a black toenail, lost it, and it regrew fine, but trimming stopped the problem happening again.
ski holidays
@mh8782, it will definitely fall off in the bed one night. Pray you find it before the OH is all I can say 😂
ski holidays
It just came off! It's not as bad as I thought it would be. Probably just needs a clean. I wish I could submit photos Smile
snow conditions
@mh8782, I'm so glad you can't submit photos! Happy this happened to me and my toenail grew back fine.
snow report
happens to me every season. The nail is usually back to normal by December; just in time to get blackened again Toofy Grin
ski holidays
THIS^^^^ Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Shut my thumb in the car door in January as I was dropped off outside the Boulangerie one morning. Thankfully Mr P didn't drive off with me still attached to the car. The air went blue, but somehow I still managed to buy a baguette, emerge from the shop, stick thumb in a blob of snow and be driven, ashen faced and feeling rather green, back to the chalet. Needless to say, the nail went black and dropped off after about 6 weeks. It looked dreadful, black and then a dull shade of dark green before it fell off, and felt a bit wobbly and squishy for last few days. As it was my thumb and not my toe, it was in my (and others') field of vision all day. I put a plaster on it, just to hide it, as it still made me feel nauseous just to look at it!
Like you, I worried about infection, but all was well.

The stubby new growth is coming on a treat.
@mh8782, as you say, it's kind of fascinating and disgusting at the same time... Shocked Cool Laughing
latest report
I had a toe nail like that once... Brick wall in a swimming pool Utopia place... Very hard granite...

It takes time, fell out and after some really long time, voala, u get a brand new nail... They will grow out...

Leave it.... No expert, maybe a good toe bath with salt to cleanse and a single drop of clorine from time to time... Or soap, i dunno. If that makes u feel more comfortable.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy