Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing with back and leg conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
When I was 18 months old I had a bone graph operation on my lower right leg, as the leg was thin and curved. I wore a leg brace until i was 9 years old. At which point i was diagnosed with scoliosis and wore a back brave until i was 13, when my spine was straightened and I had a steel pin put into my spine. Yes I know, but kids get on with it, especially with positive parents. Despite all this, my Dad took me down slopes between his knees when I was about 4, and I went skiing in California aged 6, 9 and 12 and loved it! We never mentioned to the Docs about the skiing but they seemed to notice an improvement in the leg after each ski holiday.
Fast forward 29 years, I am a 41 year old professional pilot, currently based at Aberdeen. I’ve been incredibly lucky that the conditions haven’t had much negative affect on me apart from slightly reduced flexibity, and I can’t remember what it was like not to have the pin anyway.
In the 10 days I’ve been skiing twice at Glenshee. One issue I think I’m going to have is it is difficult to bring my right foot up enough to hold a good position. Also, because my lower right leg is slightly curved (the apex forward) ski boots are a little uncomfortable. My walk in the boots back to the rental centre, especially with tired legs resembled Douglas Badar! I see a thread here (‘slight disabilities’) that mention flex boots. Can anyone suggest if they might help?
Also, given the pin in my spine (which generally makes me very strong in the back) I’m wondering if some kind of back protector is wise. Does anyone have any experience of these, are they compatable with skiing or a hinderence?
I don’t want to have to ski clobbered with special stuff and I’m alergic to making allowances for my medical background. It’s also a bit early in my skiing career to drop hundreds of quid on kit, I think. Just wondered if anyone has either experience of similar or medical expertise that could offer advice? I don’t know enough about skiing to know the common injury risks. I’m going to enjoy my skiing and accept there is an element of risk, but anything that can make it comfortable and safe has got to be a bonus.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Back protectors are definitely available - an instructor I know won't ski without one, and someone else had a back protector which he originally used for off-road biking and which had overlapping segments, rolling up like an armadillo when not worn.

As for common injury risks, knees are the prime targets - not much you can do about that though. I have "KneeBindings" fitted to my skis which can protect your knees from ACL damage in certain types of fall, but as you say, you can spend a lot of money on all this!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. Well, the knee risk is the same for me as it is for anyone else I guess. A lower right leg break would be a different matter but I could do that falling anywhere. As for the back protector, I think at this stage, with normal beginers level skiing, I’ll go without. Perhaps if I start doing more adventurous stuff (or if I scsre myself!) later I’ll have a re-think.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From what you've said, the first thing it might be worth looking for would be a good and reputable boot fitter to custom fit boots to give you the best stance on both skis and the best comfort whilst skiing. Walking in ski boots is a different challenge!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@motyl, You might be right, although i found it easier today (3rd time.)
As I mentioned before, i have reduced strength in my lower right leg (although i walk normally) Tonight, i balanced on my right leg easily for an extended period. Can’t remember the last time i could do that, even when I was cycling a lot. Guess the skiing is doing some good there!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's really good to hear! I find skiing cures many ills snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy