Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Cross Country / Nordic Ski Thread 17/18

Poster: A snowHead
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, what sort of heart rate are you skating at - do you manage to go nice and easy and be able to talk or are you going into anaerobic territory ?

ah no, I don't do beastings, more pleasure skiing but my HR tends to be pretty high as a rule, even walking up stairs, no idea why. If I go out tomorrow I'll take an HRM, I normally only use one when cycling. I probably wouldn't have to push much harder to go anaerobic, I must be at around 80% of ftp when climbing, something sustainable. There are a lot of hills around here and you've got to be careful not to blow up on the ramps.

There seem to be high beaters and low beaters in life. Have friends who are reptiles, they can be hooning it up some col and still beating at 130. The low beaters seem to have good stamina, like diesel engines.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, yes that diesel engine analogy often gets used around our group of cyclists too.

I did try to keep it low but that head wind really made you have to put the hammer down and then the trail is very exposed to the wind no trees to dissipate it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
2 hours classic cross country in Flachau today. First time ever...hot tired and red faced but loved it
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, chapeau

Today same as yesterday but thankfully no head wind to deal with and took 9 mins off my time nigh on 5.00 km pace Very Happy

As you can see superb conditions which brought quite a few people out and everyone is so friendly.

Must be doing something right technique wise as I can keep up with some now or even go past a few who look as if they know what they are doing.

Still have not got the faintest idea as to what my V version is rolling eyes

https://www.strava.com/activities/1442138309/overview
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
On Thursday I had the morning free so went up to Barioz on the Belledonne balcony. This is Marie Dorin (gold medal Pingpong olympics), Anaïs (Bronze) and Chloé (double gold in the European championships) Chevalier's "home" ski area (although they tend to train up on the Vercors these days).

I wanted to ski two loops: the Tigneux and the Levant, these have not been open the last two, or three seasons due to the poor snow conditions and it seems I was SOL today as neither had been pisted. In the end I skied the Levant loop:

the light powder was fun downhill #XCountryFreeRide and not too bad uphill although some of the longer ramps were hard. The views are fantastic and of course, virtually no-one on these runs.

The pisted loops were not necessarily better, whenever the gradient ramped up I tended to get bogged down in the soft snow and lost glide. A lot of people were just shuffling up as best they could so I was at least pleased to have climbed from the start at 1340 meters to the refuge at 1700 meters without stopping, 4km of the climb is at 7%, but it was one of my slowest ever times, around 25% off my best. Even the KOM, Guenael, who was out skiing, was 15% off his best. If we talk in terms of power, Guenael has around 50% more watts than me, so a lot of my motor is just overcoming stiction on the route and if classic skiing is about "le kick" with skating it is all about "la glisse".

I then took the Cretes loop up to a summit (1850m.) where we ski tour sometimes

Looking south

Ski touring, or even cycling, would probably have been a better bet yesterday, but the views were nice. As someone said to me, this is a day to ski classic not skating.

Snow has settled today and is much better to ski despite the warm temperatures. There are some surprisingly sticky patches on the descent mind.

So, to turn this into a mini Barioz TR. It is a bit like the les Deux Alpes of cross country skiing. I don't me grumpy staff but that the easier runs are pretty much up by the refuge at 1700 meters, I feel sorry for the poor school kids who have to climb this just to get to where they'll do some instruction. Otherwise it is all either going up, or going down, and really is a ski area for good skiers. I used to go up a lot, the slopes are fairly high altitude for around here, starting at 1340 meters, but you've always got that 4km drag up the hill to the real skiing. There is an alternative. On weekends you can use the Grand Plan drag lift for 2 euros to access the high altitude area directly but there is a rub, the drag lift is on a slope that is over 50% gradient. I've seen pensioners do this on cross country skis but have never dared myself.

There is no real accommodation so the area is aimed at day trippers. The ski runs are wooded except for the Cretes run. They claim 50km of pistes but I skied all but the Crève-cœur (broken heart, a short 2km climb) and Tigneux (11km on the piste map) and a couple of short links and that was 26km so there is some double counting going on. I would say more like 40km.

https://www.espacenordiquedubarioz.fr/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yesterday, after skiing with the tot in the morning I decided to head up to the Col de Marcieu. There are two sectors at the col. A flattish area which does a loop around by a chapel. This has not been open all season due to lack of snow.

Then there is the traverse to St Hilaire along the chemin de l'Herse. This is around 16km return trip with some 600 to 700 meters of climbing. Although the trail follows the contours there is a lot of up and down. There is a new piste basher driver and he's had some problems this year, to say the least

To be fair the trail is very narrow in places. With steep drop offs.

I started from the St Hilaire end, the first km is unpisted but was largely settled snow. You then cross the ski pistes, not many people around for the last weekend of the season.

The trail then descends to 1135 meters. From here the piste basher had passed this am. Although the slide wasn't fantastic the snow was settled so you didn't sink in and could make progress. There then follows a climb to 1350 meters over some 5km although there are lots of ups and downs en route. This is followed by a gentle descent to the ski runs of the col de Marcieu followed by the "hairpins of death segment", a drop of 175 meters over 2km, it is not too bad unless you meet a skier coming the wrong way (French don't seem to understand no-entry and one-way signs, it seems). At the end of the descent you can ski down to the Col de Marcieu or climb south to return to St Hils. The climb isn't too long but it is steep, 100 meters over 1km, followed by some rolling terrain then the long descent back to the ski runs of St Hilaire then a final 50 meter climb back across the ski runs (thankfully no downhill skiers today due to a broken lift).

Not the fastest conditions yesterday. There is a foehn and we've had a lot of rain to high altitude. There was a 50 meter bare patch and a bit of ice on the downhills.

The cross country skiing is fairly limited and conditions have been variable over the past 3 seasons due to the snow cover. The area is good for ski touring and snowshoeing although the ski touring routes are pretty much expert level due to the steep access couloirs that protect the more mellow high plains of the Chartreuse range. There are numerous gites and chalets to rent. If the snow cover is there you could easily spend a week exploring. It is possible to hire skis and other gear at the Col and at St Hilaire. The ski area of the col de Marciue is ideal for kids and has tubing/sledging. St Hilaire is a great ski area for better skiers with some steep pistes and off pistes. We've done 12 days there this season and after 100s of days skiing there over the years we are still finding new routes. They also have an avalanche controlled ski touring area.

http://www.col-marcieu.com/
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just speaking to a colleague who was walking a bit bow legged about what he'd done this weekend. The GTJ200 - the 200 bit is a clue - it is a 200km (mainly) cross country ski race across the Jura consisting of a 22km prologue and a 178km main event. The winners do the 178km in around 11.5 hours.

http://youtube.com/v/52foz4l11zk

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/bourgogne-franche-comte/gtj200-revoir-magazine-grande-traversee-1438363.html

Crazy stuff
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Speaking of long distance stuff, as well as all the 'Loppets' in Scandinavia, there is this which I'm getting some pressure to consider in the next year or two

http://www.rajaltarajallehiihto.fi/in-english
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dsoutar wrote:
Speaking of long distance stuff, as well as all the 'Loppets' in Scandinavia, there is this which I'm getting some pressure to consider in the next year or two

quite serious days out there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
dsoutar wrote:

quite serious days out there!

Yes, certainly for classic. My longest day out is between 50 and 60km so some of those would be a journey into the unknown. Strangely, unlike long days out road cycling (which I know you participate in) a long day out on skis i.e. 5-6 hours where I have been pretty tired at the end has never translated to much fatigue the next day. Never understood why. Unfortunately I've not had a HRM on when I did them so I don't have any stats to compare with say a 150km+ bike ride
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Question about ski carrage on an aeroplane. Heading up to Åre next week by plane, and toying with the the idea of buying some cross country skis this week. Any recommendations for type of ski bag? It seems that they won't fit in my douchebag (looks like 2m max length) and I expect I'll get 205 or 210cm skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Themasterpiece

This should do the job with a bit of bubble wrap around the bindings, tip, and tails (currently have 20% off all XC and Alpine equipment until Sunday).

All Scandinavian airlines/airports treat skis with a bit of respect. Flown with SAS from Oslo to Bodø with XC skis in a plastic bag supplied at the airport without any damage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is getting sticky in the spring weather but still skiing on the closed pistes of our local nordic area (@ les 7 Laux)

although one of the runs is threatened by an avalanche couloir, so even on nordic you have to be careful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Purchased skis, boots, and poles from a great shop in Stockholm, Alewalds - the whole of the upstairs is dedicated to cross country. Transported them on the plane up to Åre no probs in a cheap cross country ski bag; I found some foam plastic packaging that goes perfectly over the tips and tails.

Been alpine skiing so far this week in the fantastic conditions, but persuaded my (normally non-skiing) wife to try cross country today. Will head out soon to hire kit for her and our 9 year old son.

Snow has been very sticky on the slopes and it’s snowed 10cm overnight, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Will report back later!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Themasterpiece wrote:

Snow has been very sticky on the slopes and it’s snowed 10cm overnight, so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Will report back later!

The fresh snow takes a while to settle and loose or freeze the moisture which sucks skis to the ground.
snow report
Well after skiing some nice powder yesterday, back on the XC this morning.

Temps were in double figs yesterday and an overnight freeze so not ideal for off piste though suspected there might be some fresh on N facing slopes above 2,300 but decided on getting out on the XC trail as have not done it for three or so weeks.

They must have pisted it overnight and first thing the corduroy was quite unforgiving it seemed especially on small descents.

Right at the start I saw this guy come hurtling down on a ski piste just in Tshirt (I thought at that speed he was on downhill skis) and then cut across to the XC trail and yes he was on XC skis absolutely flying!

I did feel that the skis were going well and everything felt good, though I was pushing myself.

At the half way point (8km) I was well up on my previous times but previously I'd had a head wind and then a tail wind helping me along on the return leg.

However even without the wind my speed and technique felt good and the piste had softened up a fair bit thankfully as there are more descents on the return leg.

So once back home and uploaded to Strava really pleased to see that I'd knocked nigh on six mins off my previous times, and on some of the segments I'm in at least the top 50% and in a few in the top third with an average pace of 4.44km.

Now I know from cycling many of the Frenchies do not use Strava but there are a fair number of Anglo Saxon names so presume that these must be British Army when they come out here and race, so all in all considering that was only my 13th excursion on Skate skis I'd finally say that I think I've cracked it, though I'm no where near able to do the reds and blacks, think those can wait till next season!!!

And trails in superb condition.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1492236274
snow conditions
Reporting back. A tentative success. My son developed blisters on both heels at 2.5km in, so he and the wife took the 5km route home. As predicted, the tracks had almost disappeared in places, and there was very minimal glide. I think that made it somewhat easier in terms of technique for my wife’s first time (less balance needed compared to gliding), but slower. It was very beautiful through the forest, with a lovely view of Åreskutan in the sun. It was only my second time on XC skis, so I did a 10km route with a stop at a Waffle House. I think we’ll definitely build a day or two of XC into our Easter ski holidays in the future.
snow report
@Themasterpiece, Very Happy Shame about the blisters though.
snow report

@Weathercam,

A little fond above Cogne Last week.
Avalanches all around.
snow report
This AM I had some time free, didn't have to be in work until midday, so headed up to le Revard which closed its pistes last Sunday. Obviously the piste preparation had not been done since then but the overnight refreeze was good and apart from the climbs the slopes were still in pretty good shape. In a normal year, like this one, you will find pros skiing the slopes into May and indeed I crossed some members of the French team today who gave me a snooty look. It is probably their private terrain this time of year Happy

On one point of the tour the piste had no snow left and I headed off across a snow covered marsh, which wasn't too bad until I came to rejoin the main piste where it was a bit soggy. As I was a bit pushed for time I didn't take any other photos but I noted that the pistes of the micro-resort of Plan Palais were still snow covered 1 month after it shut.

The plateau is around 1350 meters altitude. I would estimate around 50cm of snow depth at this altitude still but more in places.

le Relive https://www.relive.cc/view/1517669090
snow report
Just messing around with some filming

http://youtube.com/v/ixR3wGcTJ9o

last Sunday I got out of bed before the lifts opened to do a tour of the Manchet valley, last time I skied here was 13 years ago.

There was a good overnight refreeze which meant very hard corduroy, which was a bit tricky at times.

https://www.relive.cc/view/1538046936
ski holidays
Went up to the high plateaux of the Chartreuse today to see what the snow was like, we've not really had many good refreezes this year and this weekend has been no exception. I think it was the hottest April on record across much of western Europe and May is bringing more of the same (see Weathercam's thread about spring snow).

I'm thinking about a traverse of the Chartreuse at the end of next season on nordic gear.

http://youtube.com/v/Q_Svd3YCYRY
ski holidays
@davidof, what were you filming the skating with - and how did you get the follow me to work - or do you not use a RC and just an Iphone and then statsh it in your pocket etc
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, what were you filming the skating with - and how did you get the follow me to work - or do you not use a RC and just an Iphone and then statsh it in your pocket etc

You know, I was hoping you could tell me all of that Happy !!!
snow report
@davidof, well it looks like a drone filming for sure and I like the way it was just filming and the skater came into shot and was filmed from behind and then came back into shot being filmed from the front

What I can't work out is how the follow me worked, unless it's like I think - and that a remote control is not used (too large) and just using a phone and the app software - and he then stashes the phone in his pocket - all a tad sketchy as wrong buttons can be pressed and then could be good bye drone - or someone else is doing the filming (much more sensible).

And unlike downhill you don't have too much of the vertical issue to deal with!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy