Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Was Chamonix open yesterday?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Found around 15 inches of fresh snow at the top of Mont Joly at St Gervais today and it had snowed down to about 1500m. Good times.

Nice.
Bit surprised they opened the chair - Mont Joly is a bit notorious for avalanche risk and often slow to open after a fall like that
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, I think this is the new lift they put in over the summer so will be trying to keep it open.
I’m out in StG next 2 weekends so long may it continue
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the replacement for epaule? Did they open the lift to the top as well?
I hiked past it in the summer and sat next to the construction crew at the restaurant on the ridge.
Will be a big improvement I think
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After some advice from the local guys please. Boys trip to Cham next week (Weds-Sun) - for about the 7th year running (understanding wives Little Angel )

Anyway the forecast at the moment suggests some decent new snow from Weds onwards to a reasonably low level. snowHead Obviously it's way too early to have any kind of certainty on that BUT if the forecast pans out then being in the trees seems like a decent idea. Obviously there are options at GM, Les Houches etc but I was thinking that some other low resorts might be an idea - e.g Combloux. As we have booked cheap (lol) Mont Blanc Unlimited passes, and have a car, then the whole Evasion ski area is an option I think.

I am not after your secret powder stashes just a general idea of where is decent in crap visibility when the snow is looking like it could be a bit special. EDIT: And maybe also where might not be so good (e.g. Les Contamines looks like it might be a bit more exposed than its neighbours? But that's eyeballing a piste map)

Thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
contamines is a horrible place to be in a storm! giettaz can be awesome though, its just being bothered to go there from cham!

closer to home, st. gervais/megeve is full of tree's
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@eddiethebus, Thanks - Combloux looks to be linked with Le Giettaz (even if a dodgy looking link) so maybe a better option with the lazy gits I ski with - getting somewhere half an hour or so away is more likely to happen than driving all the way to Le Gettiaz. Very Happy

Thanks also for confirming my suspicions about Les Contamines.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ moseyp: Yes, except top of GM, Brevent and a couple of more slide prone lifts. Les Houches was late opening presumably due to the big slide that hit parts of the village.
@ nemesys: Le Tour and Courmayeur would be 2 good spots to hit for trees (both pistes between them and off piste, though the first 1/4 of the runs round the back of Le Tour are above the tree line, so poor vis can make it more interesting...) that don't require too much local knowledge, with the usual caveats of you can still get into serious trouble and people have died off piste in both resorts. Handily, there's a wee Chamonet snow report on both those spots from this week here: https://www.chamonet.com/snow/skiing-across-borders-in-chamonix-and-courmayer-chamonix-mont-blanc-valley-713937
Quite a big slide pictured from the Brenva face of Mont Blanc down into Val Veny Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nemesys, I am a massive fan of St Gervais & the trees do make it a bit special.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys.

@Grum p, we usually get over to Courmayeur one day per trip - haven't skied that much in the trees there but the off piste above the trees - the area where they have the Freeride world tour events can be pretty special. Plus the restaurants are a nice change from the Cham offerings!!
@Jonny996, thanks - another good option.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Grum p, thanks, Pila in Aosta closed today so considered driving over this morning but they opened one of the lifts mid-morning so stayed. Not much skiing unfortunately.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all - Looking for a bit of Chamonix / Argentiere advice. I'm heading to Argentiere in a few weeks with UCPA. The pass provided is the Chamonix Le Pass (which is fantastic value when looking at the on the day price compared to the UCPA package) but I understand it includes a sub-set of the ski areass compared to the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass.

We are improving piste skiers in the main that are starting to venture off-piste (limited to side of piste really).

I assume that pass will give us more than enough to go at over 6.5 days, but if there's anything that it doesn't include that is a "must" for a first timer in the Cham valley, it'd be good to know as I understand you can upgrade for specific days etc...?

Thanks
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bradlex wrote:
Hi all - Looking for a bit of Chamonix / Argentiere advice. I'm heading to Argentiere in a few weeks with UCPA. The pass provided is the Chamonix Le Pass (which is fantastic value when looking at the on the day price compared to the UCPA package) but I understand it includes a sub-set of the ski areass compared to the Mont Blanc Unlimited pass.

We are improving piste skiers in the main that are starting to venture off-piste (limited to side of piste really).

I assume that pass will give us more than enough to go at over 6.5 days, but if there's anything that it doesn't include that is a "must" for a first timer in the Cham valley, it'd be good to know as I understand you can upgrade for specific days etc...?

Thanks

Hi Brad,

The UCPA pass gives you: Le Tour, Grand Montets (except top bin I think), Brevent, Flegere and a trip up Aiguille du Midi. Only thing you don't get is Les Houches in the actual Cham Valley.

Plenty to be going at. Are you booked onto a UCPA course?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 11-01-18 11:28; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with @Jonny996, I'd head to St G - the pistes are nearly all tree lined and you can link wooded sections with meadows glades if you venture off piste. Ideal in bad weather.

Very little easy tree skiing - on or off piste - at Les C. There are some off piste options in the trees but needs a bit of local knowledge. Unsurprisingly the big open bowls get pretty blowy in a storm!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
timlongs wrote:

Hi Brad,

The UCPA pass gives you: Le Tour, Grand Montets (except top bin I think), Brevent, Flegere and a trip up Aiguille du Midi. Only thing you don't get is Les Houches in the actual Cham Valley.

Plenty to be going at. Are you booked onto a UCPA course?

Thanks - we're booked on the full time instruction option, working through the levels.

Which leaves one full day free and two half days assuming we stick with the full five days instruction (which is what we tend to do Very Happy ).
snow report
it doesnt include the midi, but you'll still not run out of snow to slide on in a week!
ski holidays
eddiethebus wrote:
it doesnt include the midi, but you'll still not run out of snow to slide on in a week!

Yes it does: https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/holiday/cart?ActivityID=21374

'Lift Pass: Chamonix Le Pass & Aiguille du Midi'

@bradlex - Have a great time, plenty of snow about and more forecast next week!
snow conditions
@jedster, thanks - I am guessing that was for me - much appreciated. St Gervais it is then. If the forecast stays as is then it could be phenomenal. snowHead
ski holidays
Hi folks, I have a party of 7 inbound to Chamonix next friday (19th) for a long 4 day weekend. First time in this resort. Received wisdom (from reviewing previous threads on Snowheads) seems to be "choose your ski area based on prevalent conditions 'on the day'"...

So, we intend to do that.

Does anyone know off hand whether it is more cost effective to simply by the 4 day all area pass or buy a 4 x daily local pass dependent on what area takes our fancy on the day?

We are staying 'in' Chamonix centre, so Brevent / Flegere is a given. It sounds like Grand Montets is also worthy of the visit. This, it appears, can all be covered by the Chamonix pass ? (apart from the 'top' of Grand Montets - is that correct?)

Which leaves us with Tour and Les Houches locally- Les Houches sounds good if whether is poor. Tour looks a bit of a schlep to get to, but perhaps not. I guess each of these would be a 'grand day out' - skiing only in that area on the day we go, hence the question on Day Pass (as on those days having a full area pass isn't any use)
ski holidays
Ok, I think i've answered my own question, for reference:

Area of Validity for Chamonix le Pass covers Tour as well as Grand Montet (not the top) - map, here: https://www.chamonix.net/sites/default/files/Attachments/plan_CLP-page-0.jpg

It costs 190.50Euro 4 days / 51.50 per day

Les Houches costs 150euro 4 days / 43.50Euro per day

Mont Blanc unlimited costs 236Euro 4 days.

3 daily chamonix passes and 1 Les Houches is 198Euro.

3 days of Chamonix le Pass, 1 day in Les Houches.
198 Euro.

So, daily passes wins out IF we choose to go to Les Houches.
latest report
@Richie_S, the long term forecast (one that I like) is showing snow for most of the weekend although it's way too far away to know for sure.

1. there aren't single area passes with the exception of Les Houches.
2. "Le Pass" covers B/F, GMs (except top bin), Tour
3. LHs is fine but runs are shorter and not much steep skiing. You don't want to be dicking around changing areas a given day if you don't have to.
latest report
@under a new name, thanks. That reinforces my view then. I agree on the 'dicking around' - waste of 'snow under foot' time.

Depending on how the forecast is, if we risk 'losing' a day due to conditions, then Day Passes may be the choice. That said, for 4 days, we'll go out in anything even for a few hours, and the days lift pass is a minor cost point. (if not on slopes = bar time = ££ on beer)
snow conditions
@Richie_S,
Quote:

if we risk 'losing' a day due to conditions

I wouldn't worry about that too much. The last couple of weeks have been exceptional and everything "in-bounds" will have been stabilised by next weekend - in over 10 years of multiple trips per year to Cham, I've never lost a day to conditions. Check the live webcams before you head out - it can gloomy in the town with a thick layer of cloud hovering in the valley but brilliant sunshine up at Brevent/Flegere and if it's really bad in Cham, conditions can be completely different through the Tunnel in Courmayeur.
ski holidays
Quote:

it can gloomy in the town with a thick layer of cloud hovering in the valley but brilliant sunshine up at Brevent/Flegere and if it's really bad in Cham, conditions can be completely different through the Tunnel in Courmayeur.

Yep.

And buses run to Courmayeur, it's a fine excursion.
latest report
In case anyone is interested, here is a Valley Blanche update, as it seems to be high on some agendas. Went down late morning (Friday). The ropes are not in place on the ridge yet. I generally don't subscribe to the hire a guide or die school of thought. However, unless you are an experienced winter climber, and competent with an axe and crampons, hire a guide until the ropes are up.

We went down via the Gross Rognon. There were plenty of fresh tracks to be made, on really forgiving soft snow. There is big snow cover for this time of year.

Once below the Geant Icefall snow cover is a bit thinner. There were tracks down the bottom of the Envers, which looked very well filled in.

We went down on the train. I subsequently met my Chamoniarde ace skier landlord René who by coincidence had done the same run slightly later. He went down the James Bond track and made clear that he regretted it stating "eet ees very ice-ee.
snow conditions
A friend of mine skied it this morning too, and came across people trying to rescue someone from a crevasse Shocked

The guy is fine, but it serves as a good early season warning. Post and pics on FB here (hope this works, he did make it public, but FB is rubbish for sharing outside of it NehNeh ): https://www.facebook.com/charley.radcliffe/posts/10155073662637401
latest report
A few runs up La Tour this morning.

I mean, little to be said, really. Pistes immaculate. Off piste skied out. Blue skies.

What not to like ... ?
latest report
Good to hear. Off to Cham in 2 weeks. Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... and significant snow forecast for this week from tonight.

Not, frankly, that the pistes need any.
ski holidays
Don’t be buying the unlimited for gm top ticket. There isn’t one.

https://www.chamonet.com/news/extended-closure-of-the-grand-montets-top-cable-car-chamonix-argentiere-714046
ski holidays
Everything in top condition. Still bits of untracked to find with a short skin in the aiguilles rouge today, above index and floria etc

Pistes great on le tour especially.

As the afternoon wore on it became obvious the weather is breaking, snow imminent. Tomorrow looks tricky with the windspeeds and potentially up-yoing freezing level. Torn between magic forest or try luck at les houches
ski holidays
Gusty and precipitating lightly in Geneva...

Definite storm incoming snowHead
snow conditions
A bit warm but Les houches was fun today as long as you stayed above 1400m. Snow getting steadily deeper, maybe 20cm or more by lunchtime at 1800m so far. Managed to stay out until half two before the wetness penetrated all layers, it was a bit Scottish out there! Looking forward to freezing level dropping tomorrow
snow report
Not having been to Chamonix before, can anyone give some insight into what piste Nants is like in terms of difficulty and in current conditions ? I prefer to come off the mountain via a piste back into Chamonix if possible rather than down-lift.

Thanks.
ski holidays
its easy as long as your competent, its marked as a black but its not really. its just narrow so if your snow ploughing down it you'll be a danger to yourself and everyone else.

its been closed all season so far, did it a week ago and just had to unclip a couple of times to climb over avalanches, not sure what it'll be like in a couple of days time though.
snow report
@Richie_S, it’s not much fun, I’m like you re downloading but I would make an exception here.
ski holidays
@jbob, I quite like it, but then I am a fan of “Ski Agricole”.

Was closed at the weekend, no real idea why. It’s probably doable.
latest report
I've seen it called the best piste in Chamonix Shocked https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2007/nov/19/chamonix.skiing
snow report
@under a new name It's been closed whilst they dig paths through the avi debris that blocked it last week. All dug through now and a pistenbully's been through it a few times but it's still not in great condition and there's a few rocks sticking through at the moment too. Went up and down it this afternoon, it was quite breezy at the top!
The Nants is exposed to some pretty big slide paths which is the usual reason it's closed when there's good snow cover.
snow report
@Grum p, slide paths aware of, unsurprised it was a slurry problem.

Is anyone complaining about too much snow? I hope not!

Liking the re-modelled Munster? I am Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy