Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
Snow at the top of the Herse was good but lower down (the last 200 metres) had two inch slab above heavy wet stuff. A little challenging...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@gregonic, welcome to sH snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just arrived. Hear top bin broken at GM. Backside le tour closed. Looks like there had been a lot of rain.
Help! Any suggestions for tomorrow ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Top bin still broken? They were thinking it would only be a few days... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Courmayeur?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, CMB announced last week that it was shut to 10 February if I remember correctly. They had to take it down and fix it.

Went to Courmayeur today and though the pistes were ok, the off piste was as shot as Chamonix. The Youla opened mid day but with the avalanche risk at 4 I didn't fancy the traverse for the bit of available soft snow. Some did and survived.

@Jonathan Bell, you best bet for a bit of adventure and seclusion might be to go up the Herse, or Bochard if open, skin up to where the Point de Veu comes round to the face, and have a ski above the Argentiere Glacier.

We are skinning from the Midi across to Helbronner to have a look at the Vierge. I suspect the Mer de Glace and track down might be a bit rubbish.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
HammondR wrote:
@under a new name, CMB announced last week that it was shut to 10 February if I remember correctly. They had to take it down and fix it.

Hope you're wrong, that really shafts any early morning Argi basin missions for my next trip Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HammondR, ah! My out of date source was one of the pisteurs just after the first storm. So they were probably optimistic. It was a slightly fuzzy (on my part) conversation.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skied Glacier de La Toule yesterday - VERY warm pisteurs closed this after 1.00pm to do yet more avalanche control - some massive slides, Back via Vallee Noire - great snow. James Bond track good cover but involves crossing 5 avalanches which have crossed the path!! Incredibly warm.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
drove past the vert yesterday and saw the avalanche over the climbing wall, pretty impressive close up, its gona take a long time for all that to melt before anyone can start climbing again!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for suggestions. Went to le tour. Back side had frozen solid but had 5cm of snow on it so we found some decent tracks away from the wind. Le tour side was better. GM refrozen, very firm chopped up from a few days ago - pretty bad. Looked like some people had had a bit better by skinning up from top of herse, as per j@HammondR,suggestion. Quite bad where it had rained All in all a bit grim
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bumped into Dave Meyer today in Courmayeur. By his account, it was less wind blown there than Cham. Still certainly ‘variable’ but some nice pockets above 2200m
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve heard the top ticket will open as early as next week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sharkymark, I skied Courmayeur a couple of days ago. The youla was being bombed and therefore closed as was plan de Gabba. Both the off piste and the piste were horrible. Skied at the resort that can’t be named today, the piste was lovely, only around ten skiers altogether. Unfortunately the off was crusted, my partner had a minor tumble and ended up in hospital with a painful shoulder. Fortunately nothing broken but five days before she can ski again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jbob, Saturday...
ski holidays
Thanks for the recent advice on St Gervais for last week guys. Had 2 great days there - Thurs/Friday and happened to run in to a local who was kind enough to point out some easily accessible off-piste that wasn't too steep (given the 4/5). Then headed to Courmayeur on the Saturday, with a slightly disappointing morning, until they opened the Gabba chair, when we had one of the best afternoons in the trees ever. I wasn't until we were heading back down to the car park at Val Veny that we realised how heavily it was snowing - a good 20cm of fresh stuff at the car park. We cleared the car of snow, changed boots and had to clear it again to see out.

That was rated by all as the best weekend we've had of our boys' trips - been doing them for about 10 years now. Ridiculous amounts of snow.

Also liking the revamped Munster. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

heading back down to the car park at Val Veny

Did you ski back down to the VV car park, and if so is that massive avi still blocking the track?
snow conditions
midgetbiker wrote:
Quote:

heading back down to the car park at Val Veny

Did you ski back down to the VV car park, and if so is that massive avi still blocking the track?

Yes - we did - at least the only way I know to ski down - little track that isn't marked. Saw no sign of an avalanche on the way - couldn't see a lot so might well have missed where they cleared it?
ski holidays
It's a couple of weeks since I came down, sounds like we're talking about the same track, the one the skidoos use if you eat at Zerotta in the evening. Near the bottom, virtually on a level with the height of the new Monte Bianco there was a MASSIVE slide that had come down from very high on the massif side. We did notice as we set off down that the track had no ski tracks in it (but we were fully committed as the lifts were shut and it was dusk, when we came to the slide we had to clip out and climb over ice blocks as big as rooms. I guess if a load of snow has come down on top of it since it would just appear as a terrain feature and you'ld have to know the track very well to be thinking "hang on this 'hillock' isn't normally here".
ski holidays
Shocked I expect that made for an interesting evening!
snow report
It was nice to reach the truck.
snow conditions
I was ruined before we even hit the track as
a) I'm getting old
b) I'ld spent the day with resort resident, multi season snow boarders in their twenties, following them through the trees and avoiding the many cliffs they seemed so fond of launching themselves off.
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, Sounds like a normal day in Cham. You checked your email in the last six weeks?
ski holidays
it snowed last night in courmayeur Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@Jonathan Bell, and up high in Chamonix. Fresh tracks on the Petit/Moyen Envers today. Lots of folk coming down the Vierge and Noir from Italy. Good times.
latest report
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5322825/Two-British-skiers-killed-French-Alps.html

Really sad news
ski holidays
@HammondR, those Ragnaroks you mentioned seeing some action now then?
snow conditions
Anyone fancy meeting up for a ski tomorrow? I'm 19, strong skier, happy with pretty much everything off piste. Was thinking of heading to St Gevais as I know my way around and it's good on a low vis pow day
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@midgetbiker,
They were when we had the fresh snow. At first the sheer Dreadnoughtastic dimensions intimidated me somewhat, but then I got used to them. They were terrific in the trees at St Gervais.

I still occasionally find myself on the wrong ski on less steep ground. They show up sloppiness in technique.

In the lift I could pass for an ageing Scandi until I start skiing.
snow conditions
Very nice on piste today round Brevent, somewhat dusty on crust off, at least where we were. Mrs U fewling a little coldy so not the biggest of days.

Nice to see the sun though Happy
snow report
My husband and I will be in Chamonix March 11th-18th for some day touring as well as off piste. Our 3 year old son will be with my parents (non skiers) while we ski and we're hoping to be back in time to take him out skiing before the lifts shut. We're just back form Les Arc where we did similar, taking him out in the late afternoon and he can now snowplough turn his way down gentle blue pistes. We're happy taking him out but think he might enjoy a couple of private lessons with someone in the mornings while he's with my parents and when he's generally on better form. There is also that he won't nap with my parents, will be too tired to ski and then will be upset that he hasn't been skiing.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a private instructor who would be good with a 3 year old for 1-2 hours on 2 or 3 days? He had a 1.5h lesson in Les Arc and wanted to keep going after the lesson, so don't think those lengths would be pushing it. We're happy to use ESF if someone is recommended (we've had two amazing instructors for us in both Tignes and Arc 2000) but don't want to just book at random. Obviously happy to use other schools but the prices can rocket up quite high.
snow report
Flo (probably not how you spell it) @ ESF
Leon @ Evo2

Both nice considerate instructors.

I'll pm you there contact numbers. If i haven't in a couple of days then pm me a nudge.
snow conditions
Has anybody used their pass in Les Contamines? If so, did you activate first at St Gervais or in Les C? The website says I need to get it activated in St Gervais, but in previous years I've always been able to get it activated at the Les C ticket offices (specifically the one at the gorge, where there's more parking and fewer queues).
snow report
@snowdave, all our team did it in either St Gervais or Courmayeur first, before using in Les Contamines.
snow conditions
@HammondR, thanks - would be interested if anyone else has managed to activate Les C at Les C... Seems daft that it needs done at all!
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
Flo (probably not how you spell it) @ ESF
Leon @ Evo2

Both nice considerate instructors.

I'll pm you there contact numbers. If i haven't in a couple of days then pm me a nudge.

Thanks, that's brilliant. They will need to put up with a LOT of "why" questions!
ski holidays
Any update on the status of repairs to the top lift on the Grand Montet? Heading out on the 3rd March and was hoping that it was going to be back up and running by then . . .
snow report
@erennie101, it's already back up and running. Open right this minute Smile
ski holidays
@fixx great news thanks
snow report
Ooh good, I'm out next week. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy