Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck | Tirol snow conditions 2017/18

Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, wow... that looks amazing.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied at Schlick 2000 for a couple of hours yesterday. Haven't seen that much snow in Stubaital (the whole valley is white the whole way along), yet unfortunately the skiing was pretty mediocre: just too much hard, weird feeling, artificial snow on all the pistes.

Then this morning woke up to this:

After a lazy morning (the lifts were closed while they bombed the couloirs hard) I went for a few laps at Nordkette with my girlfriend - 15th powder day this season already!!

We didn't get there 'til about 1pm, but got plenty of face shots regardless. Easily 50cms of fresh snow at the mid station (1900m). Top lifts stayed shut all day, but the couloirs will be pretty special when they open tomorrow...

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3-4cms more snow fell over night in the city, so I guess 10-15cm on the mountain.

Now I'm about to fly back to the UK for Christmas and stuff myself with fish and chips, pork pies, cheddar, bacon, sausage rolls and more fish and chips Very Happy

I'll be back to the Alps before NYE - but in the meantime I hope everyone out over Christmas has great snow and a wonderful time!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arrived back in Austria today, and was treated to some gorgeous (and very snowy!) views during the descent into Innsbruck!

Crazy how the Alps just erupt from the flatlands...

Austriaska:

The weather looks quite tricky over the next few days. Plenty of snow in the forecast, but (as with everywhere else in the Alps from what I can see/hear) fluctuating freezing levels will be make or break... still very cold outside now, but it should warm up a fair bit (freezing level over 1800m) tomorrow afternoon at some point - question is, will the morning stay cold enough for long enough for a goos time?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@clarky999, ganslzeit was in November...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nozawaonsen, haha true, but leftover sandwich zeit never ends Very Happy

Just started snowing here too!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having missed the main powder day on Friday while flying back to Austria, I met up with Dulcerama yesterday to explore a new (to us) resort off the beaten track for my 22 ski day this season.

Initially conditions weren't too inspiring, but we managed to scratch out a few fun turns in fresh snow amongst the crud and crust in the more obvious offpiste areas. It was only later that we found the real goods, and some genuinely awesome tree skiing - and then it started raining to the top (1800m) which turned the snow to super sticky clag much quicker than seemed reasonable, so we called it a day around 3.

Definitely an area to come back to during the next storm though!

Dulcerama brought his funky new camera to play with, so here's a few shots of/by both of us before the snow turned to rain (me in blue/camel, D in yellow/green/black):

Beast of a traffic jam on the way back though. Not so much down to rain/snow/slippy roads (though the conditions won't have helped), but rather just the sheer amount of people making their way to/from resort for the holidays.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's about time this thread got an update. After the huge dumps and high avi risk of a couple of weeks ago, it's been a bit drier but cloudy and I didn't manage to get out. Then we had what seemed like a small top up – about 5cm in the village at 600m – on Monday.

Yesterday (Tuesday) was a holiday apparently, and so in order to get into the spirit of things, my boss (that's me), let me have the afternoon off to go and play at Nordkette. Bands of cloud kept moving through, so vis was variable, but the second run down from Hafelekar was in glorious sunshine until we hit the trees. Couldn't complain though, depth was way past the top of our boots. clarky999 heads in:

A lovely sunny day today, so it'll still be nice up there, if a little cold. A little more snow due before the weekend I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarlet, Nice
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's been a while, but a new job has been getting in the way of things (luckily not so much the skiing!). This'll be a bit of a photo dump, so sorry about that...

We've had plenty of fun skiing lately (including Scarlet's post above at Nordkette), but in no particular order here are some of the highlights:

Getting creative to find freshies at Axamer Lizum with dulcarama (thanks for the photo!):

Finding the flattest and shallowest powder we could during the huge storm and level 4-5 avalanche danger, and coming up trumps at Bergeralm:

Flat and shallow powder skiing in Tirol from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
https://vimeo.com/252227564

----------

Also had a fun 'work' trip to Switzerland, including a great day exploring a little resort I'd never heard of called Splügen with my gf. I'll try and do a proper TR at some point (and the story should be in Fall-Line Skiing next season) but here are a few photos in the meantime.

Nice powder in sheltered spots. I find some in a gulley:

And Chrisi scores on the lee side:

Elsewhere the wind buff was perfect for skiing fast:

And who doesn't like a cheeky little aeroplane turn now and again?

----------

We've also had some lovely warm spring weather and slush surfing, and temps even got high enough for just enough snow melt to get the Loisach (near Garmisch) flowing for my first paddle of the year:

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 26-03-18 22:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The weather forecast looked promising again this week, and it did actually snow down to the city on a few occasions. I was able to take one morning off and gambled on Tuesday... Unfortunately it didn't really work out with 5-10cms on ice and a total whiteout at Schlick 2000:

However the weekend was a different matter.

Thursday night/Friday morning brought another ~20cms of snow, before going totally bluebird Saturday/Sunday. All options were open, but having never skied Nockspitze (one the classic mountains overlooking the city) we decided to ski one of the couloirs. In the end the NW already had tracks in and most of the new snow scraped off (it's the steeper/narrower variant) so we went for the NE.

After skinning up the Maierrinne from the Birgitzköpfel lift in Axamer Lizum (I ended up bootpacking half of it due to non-stick skins) we reached the top of Nockspitze in around an hour. From there it was a traverse along the ridge past the NW couloir (drops away to the left in the depression in the ridge line) to the NE:

After cutting an entrance through the cornice a couple of open turns brought us to the actual couloir part. Around 3m wide for 10m or so, not super steep but, going last with all the fresh snow scraped off to the ice below, stimulating enough:

A few more turns below and a little shoulder splits the slope, with a variety of options. We chose to drop into the big bowl, and an awesome long powder run out below with the city in view the whole way - Chris, Vince and Elliot get stoked!

Some brilliant powdery tree skiing then brought us to the Mutteralm ski resort, where a rest and whisky in the sun was in order, before getting the bus back to Axamer Lizum.

After a quick lunch we decided to do another run, dropping off the back of the top lift (Hoadl) into a different valley and a beer at the Kemater Alm. 15 minute bootlick up the ridge then brilliant transforming spring powder the whole way down:

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 26-03-18 7:01; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, looks like a classy day out! Like the shot of you all with the city below (and the whisky looks well deserved!)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@clarky999, Nice one Matt, enjoying life in the best of the Tyrol on your door-step.....what could be better?! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, @Markymark29, cheers both, was lots of fun!!

My buddy Elliot had a slightly more interesting line through the couloir (don't worry, he's ok!): https://www.facebook.com/powderinstitute/videos/1620813627955529/

PS photos from Splügen added above
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
10-20cms of fairly heavy snow at Axamer Lizum this morning. Sun breaking out up top, cloudy in the middle, light snow at the car park.

Not powder, but the denseness was actually pretty good to cushion the old base underneath. And still a pleasure to track out before work Very Happy

Getting warmer now, but tomorrow is still looking pretty good with more snow due over the weekend.
snow report
And more snow did come! Easter weekend was actually pretty damn good. Fun to ski in St Anton with DaveoftheMarmottes, scarlet, Markymark29 aaaand can't remember your username, T, sorry; though the snow offpiste in most places wasn't too great, there were some lovely slushy moguls lower down.

On Sunday I convinced dulcarama and two others that Ischgl was going to be the best bet with the warm storm coming in. Overall I reckon that was about right, though perfect it wasn't by any means! All photos below from dulcarama.

With reasonably heavy snow in the morning we stuck to the trees for visibility's sake. The first half was pretty nice, 10-15cms on top of a firm but smooth base:

Unfortunately the lower half of the zone was pretty awful... The more open and tracked out sections weren't tooooo bad and fell into the 'good training' end of the spectrum, but the tighter and more out of the way spots were 5-10cms on top of very heavy and very breakable crust. Definitely got the legs working, anyway!

After a few laps of that we took a lunch break. Afterwards the sun started to make an appearance, so we headed higher up the mountain and found some pretty damn good skiing off a ridge. With 20-30cms of new snow, plenty of wind, and definitely slabs lurking, we were pretty cautious at first; but the crowds swiftly guinea-pigged most things, seemingly without a care in the world rolling eyes

Still great fun hunting out fresher pockets between the tracks and the coming-and-going clouds though!

Then on Easter Monday we went up to Stubai Glacier, figuring it should be a decent powder day. Unfortunately the wind had been at work and it was already getting much warmer, so again a mix between nice powder/firn in places and some fairly manky crust in others.

We had thought about skiing the big Schaufeljoch face - the one that stares you in the eye from pretty much everywhere at Stubai - but after a few too many beers and a pretty solid Nepalese meal the night before motivation for the bootpack wasn't hugely high.

A ~15 minute skin did yield this pretty tasty bowl though, with a fairly long line back down to the lifts below:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 11-04-18 21:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@clarky999, nice. Assuming it was the same weekend, I think you need to post the video at the top of the waterfall. For balance, obvs Laughing
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, nice. Assuming it was the same weekend, I think you need to post the video at the top of the waterfall. For balance, obvs Laughing

Haha, no that was from February I think! Same day as the photo above with the all the bushes in at Lizum. Here's the link for posterity though wink https://www.facebook.com/dulcamara/videos/a.10103107065614398.1073741844.199705025/10103107066018588/?type=3&theater
snow conditions
@clarky999, at least Tony got a mention, not so me eh? Ha 😂 it was great early first run in Arlberg Saturday before it warmed, and Sunday was brilliant.
ski holidays
Last weekend was totally different, and the closing weekend for a number of resorts.

It was Ugly Skiing Day at Axamer Lizum so HUGE crowds were guaranteed, so I went to Kühtai with my gf for some lazy piste skiing and sun bathing. With +17°C at 2020m and clear blue skies both were lovely, with perfect soft slushy pistes.

There's still a metric poo-poo ton of snow up there, so it's a shame they're closing next weekend, but should be good for touring well into May/June.

Sunday was closing day at Axamer Lizum, so again a lazy afternoon up there was on the agenda.

The place was absolutely deserted, again with lovely slushy pistes and soft moguls everywhere. Loads of snow all the way to the bottom, and again they could easily keep the lifts running for another month if they wanted too.

As it was the last day they were practically giving food/drink away, with the cashiers ignoring the price list and randomly deciding how much to charge. I got two schnitzels (only asked for one!) plus spinach dumplings and a coke for a whopping €5!

Given the intense sunlight and warmth a lot of big wet slides had ripped on all aspects, and this is something we're seeing and hearing a lot of in all regions at the moment. Be aware if skiing offpiste, and get back on the slopes by lunch time.

As it stands now, on our season pass we have:

- Kühtai open 'til this Sunday 15th April
- Obergurgl open 'til sometime in May
- Stubai announced today they're open until 3rd June
- Touring for months
- St Anton/Ischgl open for a few more weeks (the latter 'til end of the month)

Currently it looks like a bunch more snow due for Obergurgl and Stubai this coming weekend too!
snow conditions
@Markymark29, haha! Oops! Were you there? wink
snow conditions
@Markymark29, aah dammit, you were in there but the stupid new bold tags now delete whatever is highlighted when you click them rolling eyes
ski holidays
After a bunch of great kayaking the last few weeks it was fun to get out on the snow again for closing day at Obergurgl.

Fantastic conditions: blue sky, no clouds, loadsa snow right to the valley and top quality corn/slush surfing the whole way.

Barely anyone out on the slopes either, which just seems nuts; it's always ALWAYS better at the end of the season yet everyone still rushes off at Christmas and NY.

Delicious rosti, fried egg and BACON Very Happy at the Nederhütte too - I've been meaning to go back for that since I was last in Obergurgl in November! Closest thing to a full English I've come across here.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy